Final Fantasy Thread

KwonJigglypuff

I don't find any FF15 characters well written or fictionally memorable, but I have to agree with @Tyaren. Noctis surprised me because I was expecting someone to Lighting's level (no emotion at all), but he actually have some good redeeming qualities (empathy, doubts and cute-funny moments) and he's not just the usual main character with no personality (so that the player can easily identify with him).

As no character really striked me, Gentiana was my favourite character, purely for esthetic reasons (that dress would look great on Helena).

Radiance

Gonna bring this in here to not derail the Tekken thread:

I always wonder if people actually played the game, when they dismiss Noctis like that. It's easy to jump to conclusions looking at just his exterior: Anime pretty boy, emo hair, all black clothing...but, surprise, he's actually far from being the stereotypical brooding wannabe Sasuke.
Noctis shows way more personality and nuances than protagonists like Lightning or Cloud.
Despite his looks and despite being a pampered prince, Noctis is a dork, he's nerdy, he's awkward and insecure around people other than his best friends. He's humorous, compassionate, he doesn't shy away from showing emotion and he actually has character growth over the course of the game. By the end of the game he is a likable character.

665c9e0f028f80272979071f6bf7dd93.gif

And that's coming from me, someone who thinks FFXV has some of the worst story telling in recent video game history...*sigh*

Played the game, made it to the end and stopped playing. It was terrible, he was terrible. Probably liked Snow more then him and I hated Snow in FFXIII until lightning returns.

My opinion: Worst main character in a FF game ever created. Bland, boring, and lame.

Nikotsumi

Well, I'm pretty much neutral about Noctis.
Didn't dislike him, on the other hand I can say I like him in some way, but he was not memorable at all (or at least not until the very end of the game, that's when I started to like him as a character), like every other character in XV.
He does grow as a character... but you start seeing that in the last chapters (which are a rushed mess, affecting his develpment as well), before those, the game is pretty much a road trip with no story, and even though he shows he has a personality, I can see why people see him as bland.
Also, I'm sorry to say this but I genuinely feel that he has way too much (and undeserved) popularity.

UpSideDownGRUNT

I would have preferred ANY other FF character and series to Noctis and XV, a melee based character would have worked really well Locke, Tifa, Zell, Rikku, Snow etc.

Tifa's Limit Break combo would have made an awesome Rage Art lol

UpSideDownGRUNT

Tifa or Lightning could work, Tifa for obvious reasons (plus who doesn't want to recreate Hitomi vs Tifa?), Lightning simply because Maaya Sakamoto voices Lightning and La Mariposa

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
Well for me, I thought FFXV's story was great. Noctis was my favorite by the end of the game, and I'm jealous he made it to Tekken. It's a weird fit to me, but I am jealous.

I mean, why would anyone be jealous about this?

Let's be real here. This man Noctis looks extremely weird in Tekken despite being a cool selling entry. If this was some sort of DOA pipe dream to include him in DOA, he'd be weird in DOA too. I also never understood on how people could have issues of other companies doing other methods of what other companies do. DOA has Mai and then Namco now has Fatal Fury Geese from SNK and I find it to be completely reasonable yet some responses is basically "Tekken is copying DOA now". Who cares? I mean people here are requesting Tifa now so we are all on the same boat since Namco did it first regarding a FF character. It's all business for many years to come.

Tifa or Lightning could work, Tifa for obvious reasons (plus who doesn't want to recreate Hitomi vs Tifa?), Lightning simply because Maaya Sakamoto voices Lightning and La Mariposa

Tifa makes sense. Lightning does not make sense. One fights with a fist full of heart. One fights with a weapon full of cold and cringeful sadness that is equivalent to a blond haired swordsman who broods and fantasizes about a white haired swordsman with a really long sword.

One could be pretty much used as a fighter. The other a Soul Calibur character.

Jadeinchains

I mean In general I'm not totally bothered when it comes to guest characters in Doa since I just prefer characters that are actually canon and a part of the world but If we were to get a FF guest character Tifa would make 100% more sense to add for multiple reasons rather than Noctis, Who knows If there will be some sort of FF collab in the future. It would make sense I'd say after TN's work on Dissidia but who knows.

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
I get what you're saying, Dbomb, but I like what I like. And I like me some Noctis -- no matter what flavor. Went on ebay to see how much Tekken had dropped; not enough to warrant a purchase from me. I'll pick it up after it's marked down to $15.

Unlike my bitch, Kasumi69, I have to work for my money.

UpSideDownGRUNT

I mean, why would anyone be jealous about this?

Let's be real here. This man Noctis looks extremely weird in Tekken despite being a cool selling entry. If this was some sort of DOA pipe dream to include him in DOA, he'd be weird in DOA too. I also never understood on how people could have issues of other companies doing other methods of what other companies do. DOA has Mai and then Namco now has Fatal Fury Geese from SNK and I find it to be completely reasonable yet some responses is basically "Tekken is copying DOA now". Who cares? I mean people here are requesting Tifa now so we are all on the same boat since Namco did it first regarding a FF character. It's all business for many years to come.

Tifa makes sense. Lightning does not make sense. One fights with a fist full of heart. One fights with a weapon full of cold and cringeful sadness that is equivalent to a blond haired swordsman who broods and fantasizes about a white haired swordsman with a really long sword.

One could be pretty much used as a fighter. The other a Soul Calibur character.
Ahh, but Lightning uses hand to hand in cut scenes though plus, some attacks could just be redone to be hand to hand. We've seen this before especially with Hayabusa, Ayane and Momiji with their moves from Ninja Gaiden.

Especially since a lot of Lightning's attacks are melee based anyway

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
Ahh, but Lightning uses hand to hand in cut scenes though plus, some attacks could just be redone to be hand to hand. We've seen this before especially with Hayabusa, Ayane and Momiji with their moves from Ninja Gaiden.

Especially since a lot of Lightning's attacks are melee based anyway

A few measly cutscenes does not justify the end result of the character. She fights mainly with a "weapon". Tifa fights physically with the use of her own body and hands. Both can fit in a fighting game but one truly fits the soul of a "fighter". There is a difference here.

If you mean Soul Calibur then I don't disagree with you.

Last edited:

UpSideDownGRUNT

I'm not arguing against that don't worry I'm just saying that it could be possible since weapon based attacks being converted into hand to hand HAS happened in DOA before.

I very highly doubt Lightning will make a FG appearance outside of Dissidia NT, I'm just hypotheticak thinking how she could work in a game like DOA.

Tifa would be the more obvious route anyway but Lightning could hypothetically work they'd just need to pull something similar with what they did with Momiji she IS a soldier, she probably knows hand to hand combat as well.

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
I admit that Lightning has grown on me the past few years. She's not my favorite, but she has a nice design and she's bad to the bone. Though I think Tifa would be the best possible fit because of her look and her usage of fists. If we got her in DOA I would flip out.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD