Final Fantasy Thread

breathofflame34

Gladio's ep: nice music, pretty good, hmm, yeah, cool can't wait for episode prompto
Prompto's ep: that was quite dark, it can't get any darker, can it? good episode 9.5/10
Ignis ep: I T G O T D A R K E R.
Hmmm... I haven't beaten the base game, but I have bought episode Prompto, (It was on sale for a few dollars) is there a certain order I should play them in? (I got stuck on the chapter 14 boss, got really pissed off, and left to grind, and just never went back to the fight.)

UpSideDownGRUNT

Okay, FF 15 had a reason to be linear towards the end, 13 on the other hand didn't. In all other FF's there have been massive worlds to explore, but there has been nothing but a straight line to walk in, from the start of the game till now. (I haven't fully beaten FF 13 yet, but it's just a corridor.) {Also note that I actually didn't like FF 10 either, so... but I do think that Tales Of, or at least Zesteria's (the only game in the series I've actually really played any of, except for Tales of The Abyss, are more open, to me at least then the world of FF 13.)
How does FFXV have a reason to be linear but not XIII? lol I have played both to the end and XV didn't give me ANY reason to be linear outside of the train. Seriously a big old Imperial Base and 90% of it is tiny hallways?

In XIII your party are actively WANTED FUGITIVES you can't casually explore towns and wide landscapes with PSICOM constantly at your back so it was designed to be linear. I also guess you never made it to Gran Pulse in Chapter 11 then because Gran Pulse is like the size of Leide in FFXV
Auto-Battle is essentially thrust into your face through out the FF 13 games, and often by reflex I'll hit it, assuming it's my normal attack, the stagger system is also very annoying, your only able to do small amounts of damage until you stagger the enemy, but then as soon as you do, they get unstaggered so fast, or are just down right impossible to stagger (Looking at you first Caius fight in 13-2).
Well, only in XIII and XIII-2 LR had the right idea to completely change the battle system and kick Auto-Battle in the trash where it belongs. And you do know you can change settings so it defaults you on manual attack selection right? I feel that's a BIG thing everyone neglects.

And that is not true, Stagger damage is treated as a damage boost as if it was weak to those attacks hence the orange numbers. And I already explained that putting Ravagers in your team slows the Stagger guage, that works in both games. So does Commandos doing more damage than any other role in the party
The character roles system is actually pretty cool, and I did end up enjoying the feature, I never meant this to mean that I didn't like 13-2 or Lightning Returns, both of those games I thought were pretty good, it's just that I CANNOT stand FF13, which is a shame since I actually the characters, and story in the game, heck I even bought part of the soundtrack on Itunes.
Funny thing is I can't stand XIII-2, Serah was just a less good Lightning making me wish I was playing Lightning and Noel was very boring... Plus, all the nonsensical time travel stuff and the god damn crystals.

The only saving grace for XIII-2 was Caius and his badass theme.

Lightning Returns is my favourite FF of all time atm and, ironically Lightning is my least favourite thing about it. They fucked her up by making her this personality less emotionless doll... She was already rather stoic but they got rid of ALL her character development from XIII+ and sorta just made her a husk, even her tsun side was gone.
Hmmm... I haven't beaten the base game, but I have bought episode Prompto, (It was on sale for a few dollars) is there a certain order I should play them in? (I got stuck on the chapter 14 boss, got really pissed off, and left to grind, and just never went back to the fight.)
Gladio is set when he disappeared after Chapter 6, Ignis is set during the assault on Altissia and Prompto is set after Ardyn makes Noctis NOCT him off the train in chapter 11/12(?)

Jadeinchains

Caius is something I actually didn't like in XIII-2 while I liked most of the rest of it like the music, characters etc. I even really liked the combat. But yeah XIII is a good game. Liked Lightning returns too even If I had certain problems with it.

Anyway... remember when YRP saved the FF series with the release of New Emotion?
tumblr_inline_olun4dQhum1r2ya1z_400.gif

Important moments in Herstory -

• Yuna killing it with her holographic gay backup dancers.
  • Rikku and Paine assaulting a guard and everyone living for it
  • Yuna writing a song that you can easily reply back to people in an annoying way. "What can I do for you? x100"

Just iconic.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
How does FFXV have a reason to be linear but not XIII? lol I have played both to the end and XV didn't give me ANY reason to be linear outside of the train. Seriously a big old Imperial Base and 90% of it is tiny hallways?

In XIII your party are actively WANTED FUGITIVES you can't casually explore towns and wide landscapes with PSICOM constantly at your back so it was designed to be linear. I also guess you never made it to Gran Pulse in Chapter 11 then because Gran Pulse is like the size of Leide in FFXV

Well, only in XIII and XIII-2 LR had the right idea to completely change the battle system and kick Auto-Battle in the trash where it belongs. And you do know you can change settings so it defaults you on manual attack selection right? I feel that's a BIG thing everyone neglects.

And that is not true, Stagger damage is treated as a damage boost as if it was weak to those attacks hence the orange numbers. And I already explained that putting Ravagers in your team slows the Stagger guage, that works in both games. So does Commandos doing more damage than any other role in the party

Funny thing is I can't stand XIII-2, Serah was just a less good Lightning making me wish I was playing Lightning and Noel was very boring... Plus, all the nonsensical time travel stuff and the god damn crystals.

The only saving grace for XIII-2 was Caius and his badass theme.

Lightning Returns is my favourite FF of all time atm and, ironically Lightning is my least favourite thing about it. They fucked her up by making her this personality less emotionless doll... She was already rather stoic but they got rid of ALL her character development from XIII+ and sorta just made her a husk, even her tsun side was gone.

Gladio is set when he disappeared after Chapter 6, Ignis is set during the assault on Altissia and Prompto is set after Ardyn makes Noctis NOCT him off the train in chapter 11/12(?)

I can give you 5 things that FFXV has fixed which FFXIII series didn't. 3 of them are pretty standard value and how it was strong in the previous installments before FF12.

Radiance

Auto-Battle is essentially thrust into your face through out the FF 13 games, and often by reflex I'll hit it, assuming it's my normal attack, the stagger system is also very annoying, your only able to do small amounts of damage until you stagger the enemy, but then as soon as you do, they get unstaggered so fast, or are just down right impossible to stagger (Looking at you first Caius fight in 13-2).

I thought the stagger system was pretty fair. It allowed you to do burst damage or cast debuff spells you normally couldn't. It all came down to knowing the pattern and properly setting up your paradigm. Hell, some boss battles you didn't want to stagger because after they recovered you got raped... (FFXIII "the proudclad" boss fight). But I enjoyed FFXIII way more than XV. I finished XV til the end, but I didn't enjoy it. The boss battles were boring (but I will admit the team based combat system was fun). The story was whatever and didn't draw me in. I didn't have a reason to really care for the story nor the characters (and couldn't relate to a single character), instead it felt forced unlike XIII's trilogy. The only character development I really enjoyed in XV was Prompto. Lunafreya was just there and I actually preferred her original concept wielding a rapier and the idea of her being one of the bosses Noctis would have originally fought. The best thing about the game was the open world concept and the ability to explore, but that's all.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
FFXIII was also extremely forced, bypassing that issue and ignoring that doesn't make FFXV that much different to be truthful. FFXV fixed the progression that FFXIII lacked despite FFXV becoming a clusterstorm of updates on trying to improve it. Lightning Returns was also unmounted to be considered the best way on ending the FFXIII series, simply because you can't exactly call that game an FF game if it's beatable in under 2 hours that isn't even a speed run with a VP time limit. Lightning Returns is literally almost similar to Grandia Xtreme where it became more of a slightly open world dungeon crawler with a few measly towns here and there but let's just ignore this and forget that it even exists. Know how weird that sounds? "Open world, dungeon crawler". Think the only thing I like in Lightning Returns was Lightning's character design and development from becoming an incredibly cringeful military soldier to a temporary god. FFX could be considered the "Hallway" but that one had progression and a long strong story to boot.

If you had to really put the pieces together, the best one out of the 3 is FFXIII-2 in terms of gameplay performance. This game has a story of cluster-shit randomness that people will have a hard time understanding any of the shit until you look it up (can't exactly blame them). Let's collect random artifacts and open up ways to finally put the pieces together and then solve problems later, while this villain with a really great voice actor (Liam O'Brien, I knew it!) decides to mess up time because of his Yuel (derp). Luckily the gameplay concept of the newer ATB and Monster party members made the game quite fun and probably the only FFXIII game I'd return playing unless I was super bored to try out the other two again.

I mean really, there are different tastes as to how one enjoys FF, however FFXIII literally started a completely different method that became shallow rather quickly and dragged it into another FF with just a different set of cast. FFII all the way to FFX with each one has had incredible progression along with an overworld map (more of a massive world than loading up everything in your view) that extends the game's longevity. FF12 was another one, however that one was actually good despite the really slow startup at the beginning. People thought Square fucked up on that one until we all got midway in the game from start to finish. The villain definitely wasn't that great and Vaan was about as similar to vanilla ice cream (generically bland), but everything else from the game was actually pretty good.

Last edited:

Radiance

No discussion about that, FFXIII series definitely could have ended with XIII itself as the story was technically finished. I had a weird love/hate relationship with XIII-2. It was unnecessary, the story definitely caused a lot of confusion (Really hated those fucking hand of time puzzles), and going out having to find artefacts prolonged the game but gave me opportunities to explore more. XIII-2 was my least favorite, but I enjoyed it for what it was (some good character development and amazing ost). Fortunately, Lightning's dlc story made up for it (great ending btw).

Lightning Returns was completely different, but better than XIII-2 and ended up doing multiple plays to access content like the ultimate lair, or to complete the 4 trials.

Yeah, FFXV added elements that made gameplay better and exploration fun which gives the game more replay value than XIII (although both XIII-2 and Lightning returns had good replay value imo). Although my issue is the story. Like I said, didn't care for the characters and didn't feel as though I should care for the story, so once I finished the game I didn't really feel the need to continue investing time into it. It seems people either enjoyed XIII or hated.

To each their own.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
It's alright, I also got tired with the same 4 dudes (then again, Ignis is pretty cool though. Favorite character out of the group) and we still didn't get a permanent female party member that isn't a guest/temporary in FFXV. Square killed Lunafreya and they are taking years to bring in the other two. FFXV is constantly getting updated that people don't even feel like playing the game anymore because we practically finished the game pre-patched before it even got an update.

Type-0 was also another one. Game has an overworld map (Yes), decent progression, and turned out better than I thought it would be. Unfortunately the game felt like it belonged to a portable (which it was) so it just didn't feel like a current gen game. Think Square just needs to replay FFII all the way to FFIX and just copy most of that idea into current/next gen placements without getting bit by consumer trends and media.

Last edited:

Project Bokuho

Lady Helena's Pet
Premium Donor
It's alright, I also got tired with the same 4 dudes (then again, Ignis is pretty cool though. Favorite character out of the group) and we still didn't get a permanent female party member that isn't a guest/temporary in FFXV.
I mean they could have added Aranea, but that's none of my business *sips tea*

UpSideDownGRUNT

FFXV is a game that is actually REALLY good at heart, but is constantly let down by the story being split up in multiple media/paid dlc, updates that change things sometimes even ruining parts of the game, terrible characters outside of Ardyn and maybe Aranea/Prompto and the fact that it's just everywhere killing any hype it has.

oh and that the game REALLY starts sinking hard after Chapter 3, 456 were way too short and linear, 7 also suffers from being short and restrictive and basically Chapters 10-13 are just a mess. 14 is the only interesting chapter in the second half and they're completely changing that in next months dlc ...lol...

Nikotsumi

As I already said multiple times, XIII > XV all the way (imo of course).
Not even talking about characters and story this time, I didn't really enjoy the combat system in XV, whereas XIII is my favourite in the series, literally never skipped a "random" encounter, also Blinded by Light. XIII-2 killed it by making it too easy.
The only aspect I think XV is superior over XIII is exploration. Now... if only the updates/dlc were in the game to begin with, it would be a different situation, I'm not even playing it/checking the updates anymore since Episode Ignis. Don't know if I'll pick up the Royal "update" right away, I'm thinking of waiting once everything is really done.
Type-0 was also another one. Game has an overworld map (Yes), decent progression, and turned out better than I thought it would be. Unfortunately the game felt like it belonged to a portable (which it was) so it just didn't feel like a current gen game.
I see Type-0 being somehow appreciated, I press like.

Last edited:

Awesmic

Standard Donor
DISSIDIA NT MATCHMAKING RANT:

Regarding the matchmaking setup in general for ranked and non-ranked matches online, here are a few adjustments I think would make the matches much smoother (yes, I'm aware of the netcode, let's stop beating that dead horse).

1) When the party selects their character and HP attacks, the waiting screen should show not only the map, but also the enemy characters being used, but only the characters and not the username and rank. It only makes sense, since by this time, the opponents should've already selected their characters. That way, the entire party can adjust their HP attacks and EX skills more appropriately depending on the team combination as well as the map, making the matches more fair and interesting.

2) Instead of one chance, Cecil players should have two chances before the match starts to choose whether to start the match as a Paladin or a Dark Knight as well as change their HP attacks and EX skill set... both at the character select screen and again at the waiting screen.

3) There should be an auto-quoting system for those without a mic or haven't gotten used to manually quoting during battle. This auto-quoting system would be much like FF12's gambit system, where each in-battle quote will automatically be made according to the situation the player or team is in.

4) Simplify core targeting. Holding Circle while pressing L2 or R2 seems a little arbitrary. I would suggest making the core a temporary fourth profile on the enemy screen so it'll be easier to target by list.

5) This may most likely not happen, but an option to dash directly at the opponent's altitude in like in the old Dissidia games by double tapping R1.

6) Get rid of the password system for private lobbies. It's not only dumb, but unnecessary when you could simply make 23 out of 24 spots private like in other games... what were they thinking?

Well... what do you guys think of these suggestions?

Jadeinchains

Okay, I admit it, these are really cute! XD

Official FFXV Valentines pictures:

DV-ue-5XcAEYki2.jpg:orig

DV-uf0LWsAE79Fo.jpg:orig

DV-ugb3XkAEO-I9.jpg:orig

Lol...

Aww lol they are cute. :p Prompto finally got Cindy and Gladio and Cor are the real ship 100%. Noctis should be careful driving that car while looking at a phone. :p Like the little mobile versions of themselves in it too. :D

XZero264

FSD | Nichol
Premium Donor
I moved just over two weeks ago and am slowly getting my computer access to the internet which is why I haven't been seen online much lately. My smartphone is too old to handle pages in a decent manner and tends to reload pages for about 5 minutes before finally stabilizing.

Played Dissidia relatively little. As much as I love it the whole teamwork aspect of it and not having reasonable hours to match up with the people I want to play with is more or less keeping me from playing much. I'm not a fan of relying on randoms to win and almost all of my losses so far are from random that can barely pull their own weight and it aggravates me.

Anyway, the little I've played so far I love.
I may be getting an FF tattoo soon. I already know what I want I just can't decide if I want it on my left or right shoulder. I'm thinking right so it isn't on the same arm as my Leon tattoo but having it on the left arm could start a future sleeve and I would be okay with either (which is an issue, with tattoos you kind of have to think about the future).

UpSideDownGRUNT

Comrades is getting an update on March 6th, including new story missions, fights, and the ability to play as Noctis, Ravus, Iris and Aranea(but only as create a avatars) Also, the Chocobros will be playable.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Some gameplay of FFXV maxed out on PC and first person mode (which will also be in the console version of the Royal Edition):

Reason for the inclusion of a first person mode:
Tabata: “The biggest reason [behind the first-person mode] was that we wanted players who only usually play first-person mode games on PC to take an interest in FFXV. Currently, we have only reached about 50 per cent [completion] on this mode, but we feel the gameplay has a certain freshness to it and it’s been well-received among those in the development team. In providing this mode, we needed to make some large adjustments, like the player character’s VFX, displayed animations and camera movement. Even now, we’re still making small, daily adjustments.”

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD