Final Fantasy Thread

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Sooo...Final Fantasy XV Royal Edition releases in just a couple of days...

It can be bought as the standalone game, for full 60€/$, or, if you already own the game, you can update it for 20€/$ and download the additional content.
Who here is thinking about doing one of the two?

As far as I know the new/additional content is:
- all the old DLC episodes (Gladiolus, Prompto, Ignis, Comrades)
- Insomnia will now be turned into a proper semi-open map, with additional NPCs (Cor, ghost of Luna(!!!)...), quests and bosses...
- The boat that brings you to Altissia is now freely steerable and apparently there is some stuff to do and explore.
- new first person mode
- new Armiger Mode when all royal arms are collected
- new Archive Mode in which you can collect and review the Cosmology books and new information about the world of FFXV
- new and/or extended story cutscenes
- new items, weapons and car skins
- new trophies

On one hand I really want to explore more of Insomnia, use the first person mode for finally making better screenshots on console and I'd be happy for additional story cutscenes and lore information properly explaining what the hell is even going on in FFXV's world...on the other other hand I'm so over FFXV... >__< Over it for being so unfinished and it being in a constant state of change and overhaul. Now we even got to pay for completing it?
The Royal Edition will also not be the last expansion of the game. There will be 4 new DLC episodes this year and you can bet there will also be lots of additional changes and fixes to the main game as well.
Rumors and some data mining in the already accessible PC version suggest they will be expanding chapter 10 (when you get out of the train to fight the giant Malboro), maybe even making it finally open world too. The map beyond the train tracks has been overhauled, enemies spawn in the yet unaccessible distance and Cindy's truck has been added to an outpost/town which is yet unaccessible as well.

Jadeinchains

All of this sounds so great. It sounds like exactly the stuff we wanted months back when the game was newer its just like you said though I just can't imagine playing through and paying another £50 or something for this when I did not that long ago when I've already completed it... And when its possible that with them releasing lots more dlc this year there might be another royal edition in the future.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
All of this sounds so great. It sounds like exactly the stuff we wanted months back when the game was newer its just like you said though I just can't imagine playing through and paying another £50 or something for this when I did not that long ago when I've already completed it... And when its possible that with them releasing lots more dlc this year there might be another royal edition in the future.

One thing they missed however, and which should be actually really easy to do, since it is basically already there and it was fully accessible in Episode Ignis, is expanding the explorable space in Altissia, making it a proper city instead of a major disappointment. :/

Jadeinchains

One thing they missed however, and which should be actually really easy to do, since it is basically already there and it was fully accessible in Episode Ignis, is expanding the explorable space in Altissia, making it a proper city instead of a major disappointment. :/

Yeah I'm pretty sure on it's map you could actually see the surrounding countryside around the city so they should have allowed you to explore more of the city and the area just outside of it. the fact that apparently they are expanding chapter 10 though with the Malboro so that will be more explorable is good though.

UpSideDownGRUNT

Sooo...Final Fantasy XV Royal Edition releases in just a couple of days...

It can be bought as the standalone game, for full 60€/$, or, if you already own the game, you can update it for 20€/$ and download the additional content.
Who here is thinking about doing one of the two?

As far as I know the new/additional content is:
- all the old DLC episodes (Gladiolus, Prompto, Ignis, Comrades)
- Insomnia will now be turned into a proper semi-open map, with additional NPCs (Cor, ghost of Luna(!!!)...), quests and bosses...
- The boat that brings you to Altissia is now freely steerable and apparently there is some stuff to do and explore.
- new first person mode
- new Armiger Mode when all royal arms are collected
- new Archive Mode in which you can collect and review the Cosmology books and new information about the world of FFXV
- new and/or extended story cutscenes
- new items, weapons and car skins
- new trophies

On one hand I really want to explore more of Insomnia, use the first person mode for finally making better screenshots on console and I'd be happy for additional story cutscenes and lore information properly explaining what the hell is even going on in FFXV's world...on the other other hand I'm so over FFXV... >__< Over it for being so unfinished and it being in a constant state of change and overhaul. Now we even got to pay for completing it?
The Royal Edition will also not be the last expansion of the game. There will be 4 new DLC episodes this year and you can bet there will also be lots of additional changes and fixes to the main game as well.
Rumors and some data mining in the already accessible PC version suggest they will be expanding chapter 10 (when you get out of the train to fight the giant Malboro), maybe even making it finally open world too. The map beyond the train tracks has been overhauled, enemies spawn in the yet unaccessible distance and Cindy's truck has been added to an outpost/town which is yet unaccessible as well.
I thought SE debunked that it was $20?

Tyaren

Standard Donor
I thought SE debunked that it was $20?
Eh...not that I know...

By the way, there are already people who have the game...

w0yD3sM.jpg

It is the regular game (version 1.0) with a DLC code for a 27GB update, lol.

UpSideDownGRUNT

Either way they've been REALLY quiet about the DLC upgrade, guess well find out when it releases. But, I'm sure SE stated that $20 was a "typo" and will be confirmed at a later date

Jadeinchains

So Is everything that's in the royal edition going to come as a dlc upgrade? And so then...If It all does come as a dlc upgrade Is anyone thinking of getting it?

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Remember when Tabata, when they delayed the game, was once oh so concerned for players who have no or a low quality internet connection? I guess everyone got their high speed internet connection now within the last year. XD

@Jadeinchains, I am sometimes tempted to buy an upgraded game version again physically, to have the full package on the disc, just in case. This defeats that purpose completely though, so no. ;)

Last edited:

Jadeinchains

The stuff they've added does look great like Omega and Cerberus and the boat etc but..*sighs* I've platinumed FFXV, I don't want to play through the whole game again to do this. The dlc episodes coming out this year Is one thing and I could see myself getting them like Luna's etc and If Ariana gets one her's too. ( which she should get one, She's not even one of the main four and she's at least better than Gladio )

...At this point though I'm really ready for the next game though, I'd love to see something for FF7remake now but who knows when we'll get that. And I'd love to start seeing what's going to happen with FF16 but who even knows when that will come out...I mean I'd really rather not have them reveal it like 10+ years before it comes out this time. ( Genuinely If FF16 takes a similar amount of time as FF15 did then FF16 could come out in like...2030... )

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
By the way, do we have to start over from Royal Edition? or can we use the same save initially and just continue with all the bonus stuff from there on?

If we are getting 4 DLCs this year, does that mean next year will be the "Royal Prestige High Standards Edition?"

Trolol.png

-------------------------------------------------

Uploaded some Dissidia matches:

UpSideDownGRUNT

To go back to this, I saw that Tabata has said the game upgrade will be 2000yen... 2000 yen roughly translates to £13.70 but will most likely be rounded up to £15.99 at launch(so basically $20...) so basically SE's western marketing team back pedalled from backlash saying it was a "typo" or a mistake only to release it as £15.99/$20 anyway... people are gonna be pissed.

HOWEVER apparently with all the new stuff in insmonia is gonna be about 3 hours though? but is that JUST gameplay or is that also with the cutscenes? latter would be lame as fuck.

By the way, do we have to start over from Royal Edition? or can we use the same save initially and just continue with all the bonus stuff from there on?

If we are getting 4 DLCs this year, does that mean next year will be the "Royal Prestige High Standards Edition?"
It's literally just FFXV with codes for the Season Pass and royal dlc so old saves will work, and Windows Edition cross saves with the Xbox One version of the game.

Last edited:

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
Windows Edition cross saves with the Xbox One version of the game.

Mannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn, would of been nice to cross-save the PS4 one to the PC so that I can just delete the PS4 version. I lucked out on that one, ah well, I can just edit levels on PC with tools to be just like how it was PS4 again. Not into doing all that again, same with NiOh lol.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
HOWEVER apparently with all the new stuff in insmonia is gonna be about 3 hours though? but is that JUST gameplay or is that also with the cutscenes? latter would be lame as fuck.

Very likely including cutscenes, but lets be honest, FFXV's cutscenes, even the bigger and more important ones, aren't very elaborate or long, lol. The important Luna dies and entrusts Noctis the ring cutscene only lasts for 3-4 minutes, Noctis sacrificing himself in the throneroom is also 3-4 minutes. I highly doubt they'll add many longer cutscenes to the new Insomnia part. Probably just several 1-2 minutes smaller in-engine cutscenes. That doesn't substract much from 3 hours, does it?

What really bugs me is that there will now be two versions of the end chapter. The short, incomplete one of the base game version and then the expanded/enhanced in the Royal Version. Some years ago people would have gone on the barricades over such shitty practices. The Insomnia update should imo have been free, because it only completes the incomplete main game.

UpSideDownGRUNT

Very likely including cutscenes, but lets be honest, FFXV's cutscenes, even the bigger and more important ones, aren't very elaborate or long, lol. The important Luna dies and entrusts Noctis the ring cutscene only lasts for 3-4 minutes, Noctis sacrificing himself in the throneroom is also 3-4 minutes. I highly doubt they'll add many longer cutscenes to the new Insomnia part. Probably just several 1-2 minutes smaller in-engine cutscenes. That doesn't substract much from 3 hours, does it?

What really bugs me is that there will now be two versions of the end chapter. The short, incomplete one of the base game version and then the expanded/enhanced in the Royal Version. Some years ago people would have gone on the barricades over such shitty practices. The Insomnia update should imo have been free, because it only completes the incomplete main game.
my main complaint is that Chapter 14 extended is basically the real point of the upgrade and its no longer than Episode Iggy/Prompto which cost way less than £15.99... FPS mode, boat, new secret ocean boss and enhanced Type D Regalia aren't really worth it to bump up that price... WELP let's be honest I'm probably gonna end up buying it anyway cuz of curiosity.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD