Final Fantasy Thread

JJdude

According to the leaks, Tifa's been datamined for Season 2's DLC.

The rest of them (if the leaks are true) won't be playable anytime soon.
That's good know! Thanks! Sucks about the rest but hey if Tifa's in then I'll be ok. I guess they are trying to familiarize all the least known FF characters.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
Can't believe it. Gilgamesh and Gabranth are actually/least coming back from the data? hyped and stoked but things can change so who knows. I thought Vayne took Gabranth's spot completely so that's a bit of a relief if it does happen.

Out of all the characters so far, Gilgamesh will be a day one buy once he's released and possibly Zack and Laguna.

UpSideDownGRUNT

Yeah, if the data mine does indeed mean we'll get a season 2 then the characters I will buy will be Rinoa, X-2 Yuna, Snow(while I don't think he's a good pick its nice to see more XIII rep), Tifa, Zack(cloud but good) and maybe Laguna(because Laguna is cool)

Tyaren

Standard Donor
7FFF4288164BBDC94340E8FF3C181C41F53790BF

Hayabusiness

Ew...

I wonder, why can't Square do what Nintendo and GREZZO did with Ocarina of Time 3D? Improve the graphics, adjust gameplay annoyances... This doesn't sound like a remake but a complete overhaul, and as a fan of turn based JRPGs, it feels iffy.

INB4 somebody tells me it's dated blabla: afaik Bravely Default and Octopath Traveller showed us turn based JRPGs can still work in this day and age.
FFVII is already a good game and what it really needs is to get rid of those super outdated blocky models and have a faster pacing. And no, the backgrounds are amazing and I'd rather have HD or full 3D 1:1 remakes.
90s nostalgia is also very much a thing nowdays, so I don't think if would be wrong to not change the designs too much.

I just don't get what they're trying to do with this blockbustering. Not to mention by the time it releases ppl will already have overflowing nostalgia for FFX and FFXII and will want remakes of those instead.

Also, I want to add: despite its blocky models, FFVII still had AMAZING art direction. I just played it once and the camera and light work in the battle against Rufus is still imprinted into my mind. It's a game that I feel succeeded art-wise, despite its extreme limitations and horribad overworld models. That's something only a company like Squaresoft could do, imo: they had really great artists and they still have some up their sleeve.

UpSideDownGRUNT

I'd rather a remake be a totally new imagining than a 1:1 remake what would be the point? the original is already on PS4 and Steam.

Plus JARPGs >>>> ATB they're fun and you can block lol

Hayabusiness

I'd rather a remake be a totally new imagining than a 1:1 remake what would be the point? the original is already on PS4 and Steam.

Plus JARPGs >>>> ATB they're fun and you can block lol

First: at this point it's not really a remake, but a new game with the same story and setting, characters, supposedly music, etc, if the gameplay has such drastic changes... not to mention, the story will probably add all the Complication content... yep thank God they are not forbidding us from buying the original, which we already know is good.

Second: I wouldn't mind an ARPG reimagining... but with the new Square-Enix, I fear it will be a mess. Not to mention they'll probably just let us play as Cloud, Tifa and maybe Barret. No, scrap that. Play as Cloud, 20$ to play as Tifa and Barret, 60$ to play as all the rest. And no Aeris in the supposed third and final game!

Third: FFVII was conceived as an ATB turn based RPG. If they want to change genre, then they either have no faith in the original game or fear they can't live up to it.
Have you played Bravely Default? I only played a bunch of the demo, and let me tell you, the battle system was fun and fast paced AND turn based. Is it really that mind boggling for game devs to try and evolve this type of gameplay instead of giving up immediately and slap ARPG onto anything? ARPGs are cool and good, don't get me wrong... but FFVII is not an ARPG and I'd expect a remake to improve on the original than just redo the whole thing from scratch.

JJdude

Oh yeah, If anyone is curious about the Behemoth even in Monster Hunter World it's AWESOME! Also pretty hard. Like you have to get 4 players to help you. They did a pretty good job honestly.

Leifang

Oh yeah, If anyone is curious about the Behemoth even in Monster Hunter World it's AWESOME! Also pretty hard. Like you have to get 4 players to help you. They did a pretty good job honestly.
I’m very interested. I’ll be heading there pretty soon.

UpSideDownGRUNT

First: at this point it's not really a remake, but a new game with the same story and setting, characters, supposedly music, etc, if the gameplay has such drastic changes... not to mention, the story will probably add all the Complication content... yep thank God they are not forbidding us from buying the original, which we already know is good.

Second: I wouldn't mind an ARPG reimagining... but with the new Square-Enix, I fear it will be a mess. Not to mention they'll probably just let us play as Cloud, Tifa and maybe Barret. No, scrap that. Play as Cloud, 20$ to play as Tifa and Barret, 60$ to play as all the rest. And no Aeris in the supposed third and final game!

Third: FFVII was conceived as an ATB turn based RPG. If they want to change genre, then they either have no faith in the original game or fear they can't live up to it.
Have you played Bravely Default? I only played a bunch of the demo, and let me tell you, the battle system was fun and fast paced AND turn based. Is it really that mind boggling for game devs to try and evolve this type of gameplay instead of giving up immediately and slap ARPG onto anything? ARPGs are cool and good, don't get me wrong... but FFVII is not an ARPG and I'd expect a remake to improve on the original than just redo the whole thing from scratch.
Do you think Resident Evil 2 Remake isn't a remake then? It is doing the exact same thing as FFVIIR, changing things around, has completely new gameplay mechanics etc.

Why would I play the exact same game in new graphics? There's mods on PC that do this exact same thing. A remake SHOULD change stuff, reinvent the wheel otherwise they just cash grabbing nostalgia this way they can introduce a beloved game to new audiences and actually make 7 good this time.

BTW, I never said ATB or turn based can't be fun but FFVII was never fun and the battle mechanics in VII and previous FFs were flawed to hell and back. Being restricted by an arbitrary metre is not tactical or fun nor is it really turn based since the enemies just do whatever they want while you supposedly strategize.

Most people who play 7 just mash Attack unless they wanna heal or do magic, it may as well be realtime action.

Hayabusiness

Do you think Resident Evil 2 Remake isn't a remake then? It is doing the exact same thing as FFVIIR, changing things around, has completely new gameplay mechanics etc.
I never played Resident Evil so I wouldn't know. Tales of Destiny PS2 is also a remake and it doesn't reinvent the game, for example.

Why would I play the exact same game in new graphics?
I don't know about you, but as much as I like it, FFVII is very unpolished. Filling some of the story gaps and reworking the spartan graphics would already make people who feel it's too old try it.
Plus you can do many other things: add voice acting, rework cutscenes to give them more action than just people talking around, et cetera.
Granted, after the Complication media I don't think I'd enjoy the filled gaps too much but it's better than wondering a million things about Sephiroth.

There's mods on PC that do this exact same thing. A remake SHOULD change stuff, reinvent the wheel otherwise they just cash grabbing nostalgia
How is it any less of a nostalgia cash grab? Remaking FFVII, as a concept, has always been a nostalgia cashgrab, regardless if it's closer to the original or a complete new thing.

this way they can introduce a beloved game to new audiences and actually make 7 good this time.
Ah... So also sell the game to the people who don't like FFVII. That does make sense from a marketing standpoint.

BTW, I never said ATB or turn based can't be fun but FFVII was never fun and the battle mechanics in VII and previous FFs were flawed to hell and back. Being restricted by an arbitrary metre is not tactical or fun nor is it really turn based since the enemies just do whatever they want while you supposedly strategize.
The bolded part, this is why they are changing the game from RPG to ARPG. The current general opinion on turn based and ATB is too negative and they have zero faith in it. They want to sell the game to people who want to see all the cool things of FFVII without having to deal with typical RPG stuff. All I can hope is that they actually cook up good gameplay instead of an unexciting button masher.

Also, you say "I never said ATB is not fun" but then give a detailed argument on why it's not fun or good...

Maybe I'm simple minded like a caveman, but I had fun trying to get Monster Materia skills and adjusting my materia equips. It's a system that gives me flexibility, and instead of Square just trashing it I wish it got polished and reworked in a way that I'm playing an improvement of the original. JSYK I don't have nostalgia goggles at play here, I played the game just a few years ago and had a pretty good time with its gameplay.

Most people who play 7 just mash Attack unless they wanna heal or do magic, it may as well be realtime action.
So what? Most people play it like that therefore it shouldn't be turn based anymore? What kind of argument is this? Thank God I don't have to play the game like that all the time...
Also, as if in the managing and the upgrading you do in this game was not part of the gameplay.

Juihau

I never played Resident Evil so I wouldn't know. Tales of Destiny PS2 is also a remake and it doesn't reinvent the game, for example.
Honestly, it kinda does... That remake was pretty radically different from the original, even going so far as to nix TP entirely and play more like a fighting game than pretty much any other entry in the series. Probably a better example from the series would be Phantasia PS1. It redid almost everything from the ground up, but the end result still felt a lot more like a reimagined version of the original, rather than a totally different game with the same story.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD