For Honor discussion

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
Ubisoft's upcoming For Honor is currently holding a closed Alpha. It runs from today until...some time in a week or two. The game is looking incredible from a visual standpoint and it plays even better.

I've been using Kensei as my Hero but the basic gameplay is the same for all Hero characters. You can hold your weapon in one of three positions. If you are attacked while guarding from a position you are holding your own weapon in, you will guard. If you are not, you will take damage. You can also grab and throw your opponent in close combat, break their guard, alternate between quick attacks and heavy attacks, and use skills. Throwing a smoke bomb as Kensei has saved me in duels that turned into multiple enemies against just me and I've been tossed yards back after being bullrushed by one of the Vikings.

There are some serious design influences from MOBAs but the game doesn't really play like them at all. There are inconsequential soldiers that will rush to capture points but you can kill them instantly with any attack and they only give you one point each. Attacking and killing Hero characters on the other team is often a quick way to end a Dominion (King of the Hill style) match but deadlocks will only be broken by focusing as much on holding capture points as dueling (and winning).

I don't really want to say too much more at this point because it's keeping me from the Alpha, but feel free to ask questions or discuss media for the game as it's released. The game happens to share a release month with my other most anticipated game Nioh but they're very different. Not a lot of overlap.

For those of you that aren't fans of PvP only, there are also bot matches against AI, so everyone should feel welcome as long as you like some action in your gaming.

Hazard

Standard Donor
I put most of my time into Duel, but some cheap stuff can really be done in that mode. Specifically throwing people off the edge, which most of the duel maps having these pitfalls right at spawn.
Also played Kensei ONLY, and I could tell why some people thought on the forums that he was OP with his top finisher, it being an unblockable and all. Although you could simply just SS out of the way before it hits (people tended to do it too early, and got tracked).

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
I put most of my time into Duel, but some cheap stuff can really be done in that mode. Specifically throwing people off the edge, which most of the duel maps having these pitfalls right at spawn.
Also played Kensei ONLY, and I could tell why some people thought on the forums that he was OP with his top finisher, it being an unblockable and all. Although you could simply just SS out of the way before it hits (people tended to do it too early, and got tracked).
Orochi is pretty interesting actually. Did you unlock the other heroes?

Hazard

Standard Donor
Orochi is pretty interesting actually. Did you unlock the other heroes?

I did, but I never touched 'em for some reason. I did play against Orochi a lot, and it's really interesting to play against him. Always have to outsmart them more or they'll counter you and make you eat that damage.

NinjaRayMan

Wohoo, got a beta code. Been looking forward to trying this out. Definitely be playing as orochi or kensei.
For those that played the alpha, What do you think of the game so far?

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
I enjoyed the combat but the always online announcement rubbed me the wrong way.

NinjaRayMan

I forgot about that part. I'll play the beta at least as long as I don't need PS+
looks like the alpha didn't

Hazard

Standard Donor
I usually wouldn't make such a fuss about an online only game (didn't have a problem with it for Titanfall 1) but the main issue is that it's online only with UBISOFT servers.
But yeah, combat was really enjoyable. I can only speak on the Duel gamemode though, as that's what took up most of my time.

Legendary Goken

Standard Donor
Everyone is concentrating on the Orochi, Kensei, Warden, Nobushi, Lawbringer...*sigh* So typical.

The real power is with the Conqueror. Powered one hitters to take off 35% of life, and amazing defense! Sooo OP!

Crazy_Chin_Guy

Premium Donor
Everyone is concentrating on the Orochi, Kensei, Warden, Nobushi, Lawbringer...*sigh* So typical.

The real power is with the Conqueror. Powered one hitters to take off 35% of life, and amazing defense! Sooo OP!
Conqueror is pretty easy to counter though. You can sidestep his shield bash pretty easily.

Legendary Goken

Standard Donor
Conqueror is pretty easy to counter though. You can sidestep his shield bash pretty easily.
His shield bash can always follow up with a heavy, you can just cycle it, and you can just leave his shield in any direction, you don't have to hold it. Plus, you can shield bash right after a shield bash. The only thing you gotta watch out for is countering guard breaks on time.

His defense is super solid, in dominion, and deathmatch his feats can turn shield blocks into regen, and his shield bashes can do damage...

And he can feint from a heavy into a full block, which blocks any direction and go to a shield bash. He's totally nuts.

Edit: And he's got his semi-automatic light attacks that can keep going as long as you change directions.

Last edited:
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD