Frame Data

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor

Dr.Bhup

I better ask this question here:

Could somebody help me understand the framedata in the games. I know what frames are and what it means that a move is, say +2 on block and so on.

But when I do a move the game gives me 3 numbers, like 17 (3) 18.

What the hell does that number in the paranthesis mean? I know that 17 is the speed but what are those two other numbers? What does 'active frames' even mean? Sometimes it's 0 and that's impossible.

I'm actually only interested in the speed of the move, the frames on block and on hit. Rest is not important to me. why should it matter how many frames a move is active?

Also, how do you cathegorize a character in DOA? Do you even do that? I'm from Tekken background and we have lists of punishers, launchers, good moves like pokes and safe attacks and such with all their properties, like speed, frames on hit and block and on counterhit if the properties changed.
I cannot seem to find this kind of information on most character threads. Do you guys even make character info like that? That's like the most useful and important knowledge anyone would need...

StrikerSashi

Premium Donor
3 is the number of frames active. Basically the duration when it actually hits. A lot of moves moves your character forward. If it becomes active before you're in range and but the forward movement brings you in range the frame right after, it would hit on the second active frames. This effectively reduces your recovery by a frame. You're hitting with it meaty. Some moves have like 6+ active frames and if you space them well that it hits during the latter active frames, you can turn a negative or neutral move into great frame advantage.

EDIT: And obviously 17 is the startup and 18 is the recovery.

EDIT: Some characters have their frames done. The vast majority do not.

I did Kokoro's strikes here if you want to check that out. Leon, Rachel, Bass, and Mila have them done as well. Maybe some others too. Check their wiki page.

EternalMelody

Yo, I've done android dev before. If I find some time, I'll contribute. If you make this an open source project, people can try and contribute.

Thanks. Here is the SCVHandbook source for starters: https://github.com/EternalMelody/SCVHandbook
Though I think we should fork it instead of updating that one.

The data is in the html files in /assets/
The code itself needs to be updated as well to match the updated assets.

Nameless Sama

Hello People I have a genreal question. I have started to learn these Frames Data. I never used this tool in my practice plan. My Question is what does it means when your opponent block your attack and in your move details stays a - and + ?
Ryus :4::P: has a frame of 14 + on block is says - 5. What does it mean for me and for the opponent ?
Ryus :3_: :5: :H+K: has a frame of 30+ but on block it says + 2 ? Hää ? I hope you can answer my question.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
It means one character will not be able to move for that amount of time. They are frozen while the other character can move.

Yaguar

I put Momiji's together a while ago on Google Docs.
If anyone is willing to convert that to the Wiki, feel free. I've got too many commitments to have time to do it myself.

That said though I have been putting together another chunk of characters frames too (mainly for myself) which is one of those commitments. I've got like 5 characters sat on 90% finished but I'm busy for the next 2 weeks again before I can finish them.

Momiji Frames

Sly Bass

Premium Donor
I've done Akira's back in September, and about 80% of Zacks. The Zack people said they'd finish his up a long time ago. The Akira wiki section should have my document.

Yaguar

I've done Akira's back in September, and about 80% of Zacks. The Zack people said they'd finish his up a long time ago. The Akira wiki section should have my document.

I have Zack finished I just need to convert it to something that isn't hiding on my desktop. Low on free time but I might have some tomorrow night if I'm not playing Monster Hunter D:

Kohlrak

I'm curious: how are you going about getting information regarding reach and things like that?

Also, i'm curious if anyone has ever considered a format that would allow for attributes to be "flags" which would make it easier to apply sorting (for values) and filtering (for attributes) when looking at these lists. Something like a spreadsheet would be good for this, but only if enough thought is put in ahead.

StrikerSashi

Premium Donor
Reach is in the second page of frame data. R3/RS or Select/Back+L1/LB to unlock move detail. Or possibly another button combination. I actually just hold Select/Back and mash the L and R section of my stick until it works.

Lulu

Regarding reach..... keep in mind that some DoA characters are constantly moving.... This is usually minor for characters like Mila or Lisa but Jan Lee and Brad Wong move around a whole lot more.
This will throw off your reach stats just a teeny bit..... bare in mind in an actual fight that you won't actually see any of these nuetral movements.
Fun fact: with in one second after Alpha enters her neutral stance she ducks her head low enough to avoid one high attack.... its pretty cool.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD