We are Fighters

FSD DOA Tournament Standard Rules

Discussion in 'Tournaments' started by The HuBBs, May 27, 2010.

1. The HuBBs

The HuBBs Active Member
    Staff Member Administrator

Main Character:
    Raidou
    Gamertag:
    FightClubHuBBs
    3DS Friend Code:
    3780-9100-6899
    PSN ID:
    FightClubHuBBs
    Overall the tournament rules for DOA have been applied across the board no matter the site or location. Do note that these are also suggestions and final decisions for a tournament are up to the Tournament Organizer's discretion.

Current DOA5 Last Round Standard Universal Rule Set:

• Rounds are set to a 60 second time limit
    • Life is set to Normal
    • First to 3 rounds per match
    • First to 2 matches per set, except for the Winner, Loser, and Grand Finals
    • First to 3 matches per set for Winner, Loser, and Grand Finals
    • Dangerzones are set to On
    • Random Stage select
    • Winner Lock is Enabled
      • Random Character can be chosen, but if the player wins s/he must choose the same character for the following match.
    Banned Content
    • DOA5
      • Dojo stage is removed from Random Filter
      • Over Sexualized costumes* (Soft Ban for streams and broadcasts)
    • DOA Dimensions
      • Metroid Stage is banned(DOA Dimensions)
    • DOA4
      • Experimental Playround stage is banned
    • DOA3.1
      • Hayate's Cartwheel (2P+K / 8P+K) is banned

Do note that this is the normal rules that most offline tournaments follow as well as most online tournaments. There have been some changes to the formula in the past. The rule set for DOA has changed many times in the past, mostly due to Evo, CGS and WCG's influence. With the fall of the Championship Gaming Series, the DOA rules have reverted back to the old standard.

Some of the old rules( these no longer apply but are being shown for historical purposes).

• Largest Life (During the CGS era for DOA4)
    • 2/3 match points, 3/5 for loser and winner finals (a recent change, people will probably still use this rule)
    • 40 seconds (has been argued for multiple times and is was used quite often in online tournaments)
    • Tengu is banned(Tengu was banned in DOA2U and in DOA4 for WCG tournaments)
    • Nicole(Spartan) is Banned DOA4(Was banned in WCG tournaments)
    • Dangerzones are Off
    FSD DOA FAQ'S

What system is DOA5 Last Round played on?

PlayStation 4 is the suggested platform. It's dependent on which tournament is using however. Some East Coast Tournaments play on PS3 while West Coast use Xbox 360.

Is it okay to use a controller converter?

Although not recommended for use in most cases due to converters causing input delay to the contestant or in rare cases both contestants, converters are handled by the decision of the tournament organizer. Currently, the Titan One converter with Tournament Edition firmware installed is the recommended converter due to its reportedly no input delay feature and the ability to play any controller with any system.

Is it okay to use a wireless controller during a tournament

We strongly recommend against this. Mainly because if you accidentally turn on the controller it might disrupt a tournament match. However if you have the charger adapter then that would be a good solution to avoid creating any messes. Just make sure you have removed the battery pack.

Why is there a costume ban for DOA5LR?

This is a movement that was discussed by several members of the community to try and help turn around the image that has plagued the franchise. DOA has always been known for its over-sexualized females and just that alone has pushed people away from even trying the game. Sex Appeal in the DOA franchise will never go away but we, the community, want people to take it seriously and started the costume ban at offline tournaments to force people to focus more on the gameplay aspect of the game. This is a soft ban and is at the discretion of the TO running the game at the event. However we HIGHLY encourage people to not use the suggested costumes on stream for something like Top 8.

Why are danger zones turned on?

Danger zones have always been in the game since the first. To disable them is to take out a tactical element from the game. With danger zones off an opponent who is thrown against a wall or slammed into an electric floor will suffer less damage. However, Danger zones can be allowed off if you and your opponent agree to it.

Why is Dojo banned?

Dojo is removed from the Random filter by default for the title. Additionally, the stage has no danger zones or positional advantages unlike any other stage. It is handled similarly to the Danger Zones requirement above.

Note: Tatami, Dojo's predecessor in DOA4, was not available in the game's random stage selection.

Why is Experimental Playground banned?

The physics in this stage are messed up. Attempting air juggles with certain characters like Kasumi or Gen Fu are not guarenteed. The dinosuars are more annoying and competely unpredictable, especially the pterodactyl near the stages barrier. Its unsure of who it will actually hit because of its weird hitbox properties.

Why is the Metroid Stage in DOA Dimensions banned?

When Samus appears and uses a power bomb there is a moderate chance for the game to Desync.

Why has the life setting been changed from Normal to Largest and back?

This was mainly because of the CGS. DOA4 was a featured game on the short lived gaming competition show. One of the rules was having the life set to largest. For about 2 years all major DOA4 tournaments used largest life so would-be competitors can later try out for future seasons of the show. When CGS went belly up, the Life rule reverted back to Normal.

It was also debated that having the life set to Largest allowed the game to balance out due to the Hold System. The counter arguement was that it allowed the higher Tier characters an unfair advantage over lower tier characters that needed the extra damage given by the hold system.

Why was Tengu and Spartan banned from certain tournaments?

Tengu was banned in DOA2U because he was nearly unstoppable as a character and for WCG that rule was carried over even though Tengu became a low Tier Character in DOA4. Spartan was banned from tournmanets mainly because she is a guest character and Didn't fit into the games Universe. Much like Yoda, Darth Vader, Spawn, Link, Hitachi and Starkiller from the Soul Caibur Series.

What major Offline DOA tournaments are there?

Some of the re-occuring tournaments that host DOA5LR are Winter Brawl, Summer Jam, NEC, DID North Cal and South Cal Regionals, Kumite in Tennesse, Seasons Beatings, Final Round and The Fall Classic. As the community continues to grow and support the offline scene, more major events will most likely pick up DOA5U.

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2016
  2. UnD34D

UnD34D Active Member

Gamertag:
    UnD34D Zealot
    PSN ID:
    Cable_AHVB
    I was pretty sure tournament standard was norm health 40 secs now. That's what we've been playing at and honestly, it seems the most fair to me.

3. Mr. Wah

Mr. Wah Owner

Main Character:
    Bass
    Gamertag:
    Sorwah
    PSN ID:
    Sorwah
    Steam:
    Sorwah
    The reason for the time confusion is due to the 3.1 and 4 tournaments. 3.1 we use 60 seconds, for 4 the time is 40 seconds. Also keep in mind that Hubbs did mention these are suggestive.

4. UnD34D

UnD34D Active Member

Gamertag:
    UnD34D Zealot
    PSN ID:
    Cable_AHVB
    Not to mention, aiuR did a test to see if 40 secs or 60 secs was better just recently and most matches conclude in well under 40 seconds, but 40 seconds helps out the spacing characters such as ayane and jann lee, a lot of their game is derived from staying outside of the opponents reach, and that includes being 2 of the very minimal amount of characters who have a serious goal of trying to time out the opponent, unlike characters like Bayman, who is like-wise, very defensive, but more in the aspect of relying on his counters and OH's to do the damage for him. So 40 secs is a much more realistic "life bar" some would say, for characters like Jann Lee, Ayane, and even Hitomi and possibly Ein (according to IL/JO)

5. virtuaPAI

virtuaPAI I am the reason why you are here!!!

Main Character:
    Tina Armstrong
    Gamertag:
    Virtuapai
    What is being said here is very important.

6. Perfect Legend

Perfect Legend Active Member

I think we should be able to pick stages like in smash. Would add a little more element to the game.

7. virtuaPAI

virtuaPAI I am the reason why you are here!!!

Main Character:
    Tina Armstrong
    Gamertag:
    Virtuapai
    This is something that we should test out.

8. Mr. Wah

Mr. Wah Owner

Main Character:
    Bass
    Gamertag:
    Sorwah
    PSN ID:
    Sorwah
    Steam:
    Sorwah
    What does Virtua Fighter and Tekken do as I'm sure certain stages/rings would benefit some characters and disadvantage others.

Personally, I'm in favor of KISS by just accepting whichever random offers you. However, if you'd like to try it out I would propose the first match being random and the loser of each match afterwards being able to select the stage.

9. The HuBBs

The HuBBs Active Member

Main Character:
    Raidou
    Gamertag:
    FightClubHuBBs
    3DS Friend Code:
    3780-9100-6899
    PSN ID:
    FightClubHuBBs
    I am willing to experiment with this idea of picking the stage via Smash Bros. Style.

10. Allan Paris

Allan Paris Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Moderator

I like the rules for tournaments now. 60 secs normal life. Everything can be accomplished in that time limit, IMO. 40 secs I feel that I am being rushed to play, that's just me. Now, I agree with people picking the stages. The purposal Sorwah made is the samething I do for my online themed tournaments.

Also, I'd like to know if I can post up my online tournaments here at FSD? I am asking permission to do this because I know that some people are not in favor of my tournament ideas. I don't want to pollute this website with my "gimmick" ideas/tournaments.

Jefffcore likes this.
  11. Mr. Wah

Mr. Wah Owner

Main Character:
    Bass
    Gamertag:
    Sorwah
    PSN ID:
    Sorwah
    Steam:
    Sorwah
    Allen, first of all "Welcome to the site!" glad you found it. Contact me via pm or AIM. We can talk about that stuff outside of this thread.

12. The HuBBs

The HuBBs Active Member

Main Character:
    Raidou
    Gamertag:
    FightClubHuBBs
    3DS Friend Code:
    3780-9100-6899
    PSN ID:
    FightClubHuBBs
    added the 3/5 match points to the FSD suggested rules.

13. Zero254

Zero254 Member

So Nicole got banned just for existing in a book which is outside the DOA universe.

Shouldn't the same apply to Ryu?

Not a big deal I just like her mix of moves is all. I like having an alternative version of Leon and Bayman. Just would have been nice to have her outside of her suit.

I had always wondered why she was banned. I though she had some type of glitch or something.

14. The HuBBs

The HuBBs Active Member

Main Character:
    Raidou
    Gamertag:
    FightClubHuBBs
    3DS Friend Code:
    3780-9100-6899
    PSN ID:
    FightClubHuBBs
    New adition for DOAD based tournaments. Metroid Stage is banned. The game has a chance to desync when samus appears and uses a power bomb.

15. Raansu

Raansu Well-Known Member

Gamertag:
    Xx Raansu xXl
    PSN ID:
    Raansu
    Steam:
    Raansu
    She was only banned in WCG, and in reality it was only because WCG didn't want to unlock her on every system since TN locked the save files to the HDD. The same applied to Tengu.

16. Berzerk!

Berzerk! Well-Known Member
    News Team

Main Character:
    Leifang
    Gamertag:
    BerzerkDC
    PSN ID:
    BERZERK_DC
    Correction on Spartan, she was banned in tournaments like WCG and CGS for the fact that she is a Halo licenced character and it was a separate rights issue. You also couldn't fight on her stage because of the music, again its a separate licensing issue.

This is aside from the practical concerns of having to unlock characters (when running DOA tournaments we used to have to bring special profiles on memory cards, or our hard drives, because you want gen fu, helena etc).

I'm in favour of default settings, that's Normal life 60 seconds right? I haven't checked if its 40 or 60.

17. Raansu

Raansu Well-Known Member

Gamertag:
    Xx Raansu xXl
    PSN ID:
    Raansu
    Steam:
    Raansu
    No...She was banned because WCG did not want to unlock her. The same applied to Tengu. If you look back to when WCG first announced DoA4, they even had Helena banned because it took to much time to unlock her.

18. Berzerk!

Berzerk! Well-Known Member
    News Team

Main Character:
    Leifang
    Gamertag:
    BerzerkDC
    PSN ID:
    BERZERK_DC
    I don't doubt that was the first problem for WCG - I won Australia's WCG in 2007 and we had to help them a lot with this sort of stuff. But at worlds, where they have broadcast, rights do become an issue, and they didn't have Halo that year.

A bit of both, for sure. For CGS it was definitely TV rights.

19. Mr. Wah

Mr. Wah Owner

Main Character:
    Bass
    Gamertag:
    Sorwah
    PSN ID:
    Sorwah
    Steam:
    Sorwah
    default is normal 40 seconds.

20. Dr. Teeth

Dr. Teeth Active Member
    Standard Donor

Even though it appeared under the old rules section, Tengu is still banned in DOA2U right?