Fuzzy Guard?

ErickBello

Well, I have been reading on some threads on this forum which talked about Fuzzy Guard...
And I have been questioning... How do you fuzzy guard? and How do you fuzzy guard on DOA5?
I have no idea, and google it's not helping me either.

Prince Adon

Best in the World!!!
Premium Donor
Fuzzy guard is pretty much tapping the block button to guard instead of holding it. That way you can react to throws possibly easier.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
Fuzzy guard is pretty much tapping the block button to guard instead of holding it. That way you can react to throws possibly easier.

That's.... incorrect. Completely.

Fuzzy guarding is doing a 1 frame couch dash into standing guard after you have used a move that leaves you are moderate disadvantage, say -3 or -4.

This allows you to avoid most throws because while you are rising you are technically in a crouching state. It also happens to avoid high attacks and guard against 99% of the mids in the game.

So effectively, you are avoiding highs, mids, and standing throws.

For a non-parry character the notation would simply be :3::3::h:. For a parry character it is :3::3::4_:.

Obviously when you start getting into the territory of slower moves like offensive holds, its effectiveness diminishes because you are rising in time to get hit by it. So fuzzy guarding doesn't work all the time in every matchup.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
http://www.freestepdodge.com/wiki/dead-or-alive-terminology/

It's just holding guard and tapping down real quickly to avoid a grab.

Again, wrong. That's not even what the description on the page says. In fact it wouldn't even do anything the way you describe it because you have to be in full crouch before the crouch state even becomes active. You have to do a 1 frame crouch dash, otherwise you are waiting an additional 5 frames... and you're making yourself vulnerable to mids at the same time.

What you are talking about is actually making yourself more vulnerable.

synce

I've seen it defined and done both ways, not just in DOA (usually there's basic and advanced fuzzy)

dawnbringer

Fuzzy guarding works because of speed difference between throws and mids. If the opponent mixes up a throw and a mid of the same speed, fuzzy guarding won't defend against both.

That's.... incorrect. Completely.

Fuzzy guarding is doing a 1 frame couch dash into standing guard after you have used a move that leaves you are moderate disadvantage, say -3 or -4.
This allows you to avoid most throws because while you are rising you are technically in a crouching state. It also happens to avoid high attacks and guard against 99% of the mids in the game.
So effectively, you are avoiding highs, mids, and standing throws.
For a non-parry character the notation would simply be . For a parry character it is .
Obviously when you start getting into the territory of slower moves like offensive holds, its effectiveness diminishes because you are rising in time to get hit by it. So fuzzy guarding doesn't work all the time in every matchup.
Can I fuzzy guard with 1 1?

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
:3::3_::h:

That's fuzzy guarding. you spend 1 frame in crouch.

:h::2_:
I sjust ducking which takes 5 frames to go into crouch and another 5 to come back to standing making it 10 frames to pass.

MajesticBlue

At one point I remember reading somewhere that depending on your disadvanatage you have multiple options to fuzzy guard with. That was an older Doa though.If a move leaves you at neutral or maybe minus one wouldn't tapping down while guarding be effective? It kinda all depends on the options you want to cover.
:Edit: Ah found it.

Intro:

In doa, there are times your opponent will force you into a two-choice guessing game. This game consist of having to defend against a Throw and a fast mid. If you stand and Guard, you will be able to block a fast mid, but will leave yourself open to a throw. If you duck you will evade the throw, however, you will get hit with the fast mid. Fuzzy guarding will help you get out of both situacions with one command.

Ducking and Guarding:

It will take you 5 frames to fully crouch while holding down :2:F. Because of this, Holding down :2:F is only good up to -2.

Crouch dashing and Guarding:

In the Doa series, Crouch dashing only takes 1 frame to get into the crouching position. This will allow you to crouch ~ Gurad up to -6. This form of fuzzy guarding is very powerfull, due to the amount of frame advantage you will be able to escape your opponents two choice guessing game.

Different ways you can Fuzzy Guard:

:F:2
:2:F
:3:3:F
:F:3:3

Anti Fuzzy guarding:

The timing for fuzzy guarding during this two choice situacion is dependent on the amount of frames of disadvantage you are in. Any slight delay on your opponents part, will cause you to fuzzy guard early and open yourself up for the throw and/or attack. This opens up another layer of mind games aka Yomi.

Intelligent Alpha

I would say to Hold :h: and just use the directional inputs! (:2_::4_::6_: )

:h: to neutral guard, :2_: (while not releasing :h: ) to crouch guard

To execute the reverse: :2_: (maintain :h:, release :2_: )

Someone said holding :4: (or :6: ) [:4_: or :6_: ) instead of :h::takes an extra frame or two - and if you're playing in lag ...

Last edited:

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
I would say to Hold :h: and just use the directional inputs! (:2_::4_::6_: )

:h: to neutral guard, :2_: (while not releasing :h: ) to crouch guard

To execute the reverse: :2_: (maintain :h:, release :2_: )

Someone said holding :4: (or :6: ) [:4_: or :6_: ) instead of :h::takes an extra frame or two - and if you're playing in lag ...
Again, that's not fuzzy guarding.

Intelligent Alpha

No worries. Not an uncommon thing to think actually. But more people should know how to do it properly as it's one of the best tactics in the game. Completely shuts down Momiji's Tenku, for instance.

I'll try but (and have to see it done), but I've done what I call "Crab-Walking" alot! (ie: to avoid, er, anticipate the dragon kicks, from Jan Lee, Pai or Rig.) Again, I'm "walking," If I blocked (which was said it Fuzzy guarding) at any point, would you consider this "Dash Blocking" or close to it (found in other games like MK9? I read that moving an inch than blocking is a good way to test patience, but that's something else) I realize the command would be :6::6::h: In that case, you're standing up. The crouching would be, :3::3_: as already noted) Has Run Block :6::6_::h: been used by anyone? Not necessarily worried about effectiveness or practicality, per se. Just thought iit could be another possibility. I'll test it!

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD