Community Gehaktbal Interview: "Lord of the Netherlands"

Gehaktbal is known for winning, he’s known for being the best in Europe, and he’s also known for his incredible Jann Lee and taking Sweet Revenge to his limits. How would he fare at the biggest DOA event of the year, TFC? Me and the decorated European player talk tournaments, love, and his current thoughts on DOA5 Ultimate.

International play is now inevitable to this year’s TFC with the news of Tomoyuki Inui in attendance, and you can help Gehaktbal live his dream by donating to the cause of international play. #SendGehaktbaltoAmerica

DOAN: So getting right into it, the big question most of us have is probably… how are you so good, and who do you train with offline?

Gehaktbal: Since DOA4 was my first doa, it's safe to assume I did all my ''doa-homework'' in this version. And yes, I did. I started out as a scrub, but I liked the game very much. Online, I encountered a few dutch players who were known as 'the best players of The Netherlands.’ They let me know about any national tournaments and I went to almost all of them! I learned a lot thanks to them, especially 'Krye', and I learned a lot thanks to doacentral.com.

When DOA4 wasn't that popular anymore I kept playing, then I met SkatanMilla from Sweden. I went to his home in Sweden and played a week non-stop! This session of a week really buffed my offline skills.

But since DOA5, I learned the game by myself. Of course I had the DOA4 knowledge, but a lot changed in DOA5 (I like the changes from 4 to 5 a lot!)

Playing DOA5 online and participating in almost every European tournament was my way to become what I am now. So I don't really have a offline sparring buddy. (My GF also plays, but we don't play a lot vs each other)

So with only the online and EU-offline experience, you could imagine how HAPPY I was when I heard SweetRevenge was coming to an EU-Tourney. Even in those matches I still learned a lot.

How often does your girlfriend play DOA?

Yes she (@Tijger) does play DOA, we are 5 years together and before I met her she was already playing DOA. She went to European tournaments with me since DOA5’s release.

Most of the time she ends up top 8. She ended up 5th in 2 European tournaments and she is a real Alpha player. In DOA4 she always played as Kasumi, but since Alpha is a playable character now she switched to Alpha and stuck to it.

We don't play offline vs each other very often, but I teach and explain a lot of things to her. She improved her skill a lot since the launch of DOA5 till now.

It’s a great thing to have the same hobby as your partner and experience offline tournaments together and to travel together. I'm a lucky guy.

ee53e5de-4b5a-40f5-8eee-8375f7df913b_zps3daf0671.jpg

What are your overall thoughts pertaining to RoF III?

My thoughts were:

'Holy shit! an American player is coming'
'Holy shit! a GOOD American player is coming'
'Holy shit! an American player who won his last 4 Tourneys is coming!'
'This is my chance to show the world what I can do'
'This is my chance to finally play a US-TOP player OFFLINE'
'This tournament will tell me if I have to go to an US-Major like TFC'
So to conclude my thoughts: Happy and Hyped!

If you are to go to TFC, what possible bouts do you look forward to most?

Meeting all US-Top players like:
SweetRevenge (meeting him again that is
IXcDTmvQ5f3_Mp5DbwME4otkUF73z6VvE5tDpNXRTqwrAZuIjrPw7d5HJPwitKFTm7NhEkOtJg4OvNXZ8YdwsMDVdJFa6cBhUCGLkwu17DxL9JEER3TCBl540O0nEV7_9w
)
Lopedo
Master
Xcalibur
Rikuto
E-mann
Hoodless

.. and so on..(there are so much good players in the US)

Why is TFC something you aspire to do?

Ever since DOA4 I always watched live-streams of US-Majors and also World-Majors like WCG and CGS. Back then it was my DREAM (and now still is) to go to the US one day, to a Major, and show the world what I can do OFFLINE. Meet all the players I always see on livestreams. To experience such a Hyped event.

What do you think of DOA5 Ultimate in its current form? We have a new character (Phase 4) and another new character (Nyotengu) that’s not even out yet. What are your thoughts on these two?

I like the current DOA5U very much. It feels well balanced.

Phase-4 looks cool, and to do her juggles is also really fun. But you won't see me playing her very often. But it’s cool they added her.
fhfryjEc9aOo8QmRUpCoAdnXOyAi5Odyxq92iHzzvJ3T6qCB4zofQkwwNFoylF2-peNlalPMXnuMkT7vE3h0T5HZbFl1SP51NMxqfIpO6CosqXeY3J2dCEGhE-SEIwT91g

I'm hyped about Nyotengu! I played Tengu a lot in DOA4, I even did a local tournament with Tengu only. To bad that he wasn't good enough in DOA4. But i think he->she will be a lot better in DOA5U (tier-list-wise).

Explain your name a little. Do you just really like meatballs?

Yes I really like meatballs; no i don't ''JUST'' really like meatballs.

When i wanted to change my gamertag I really wanted something different. Something not to serious, something starting with a 'G' (because of my old Gamertag) something Dutch, and something that will be fun to hear (for dutch people) when people are gonna pronounce it.

Since I was eating a juicy meatball that my mom made me that evening, I decided to go with 'Gehaktbal.'

Just to help other people around me to let them realize that playing games is for fun, and not to be taken as serious as real-life.

effff715-7b92-44d0-bb7c-f284a0fdf98d_zps6f4349c6.jpg

Thank you for your time Gehaktbal! The community wishes you the best of luck, and I hope to see you at TFC. To see more of Gehaktbal, you can visit his youtube page or search him in the media here at FSD.

Last edited:
It is indeed funny to hear people from other countries say gehaktbal.

@Gehaktbal we should play offline with some other dutch people sometime. Now that I think about it, it's a small country so we all live fairly close to each other.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD