Community Getting to Know Hoodless

Mark Macklin, also known as, Hoodless within the Dead or Alive community has an offline tournament dream of attending an overseas tournament, much like Sweet Revenge. He’s working towards his goal, and is also receiving some donations to help him get there to represent our game. We talked RoF among other things on Facebook and I learned some interesting things about this stellar, offline player.

DOAN: How long have you been a part of the DOA community?

Hoodless: Haha… I’ve been playing Dead or Alive since I was 11. So 10 long years.

You have a lot of good moments in the offline scene, but which would be your favorite?

My favorite moment would have to be at Season Beatings Ascension. I was playing against Dr. Dogg. This was a funny moment for me because I had 1% health left, and magically I just took the round, haha. It was my first offline tournament, by the way.

45ae6ef4-32d2-45c2-b133-f30dc216b833_zpse7365ce7.jpg

Did you main Rig at one point for the possible surprise factor, at a particular offline event?

I mained Rig for that reason at TFC. No one had a clue what the character was doing; and no one had a clue what he was capable of. In my opinion it wasn’t a very good performance.

Well, I thought your performance was great, regardless. You clearly know what you're doing. Who are using nowadays if not Rig?

I use half the cast for shits and giggles. The characters I mainly use are Bayman, Zack, Jann Lee, Hitomi, Hayate and Ein.

Let’s say your dream is fulfilled and you get to go to Paris for RoF -- what are your intentions?

I wanna go to RoF to see some competition overseas. I want to exchange tech with other players and learn. And who wouldn’t want to go to Paris?

What advice do you have for players hoping to join the offline tournament scene?

Well I can say it’s important to find a character, but it’s also important to look at the other characters and learn the basics, and then learn more advanced stuff. Then everything will begin to fall through.

Who do you see as the biggest competition overseas?

Uhm… Gehaktbal, probably. He said he’s the best European player. Haha!

There is no doubt, he is an incredible Jann Lee player, but I hear Alucardo is also good competition. Outside of RoF, what offline tournament plans do you have?

The future tournaments I plan on going to are obviously, Summer Jam, and TFC.

I almost forgot, UFGT10 in Chicago next month on May 23rd-25th. DOA is on Sunday, and will sadly just be a side game, but I hope people will come out and compete.

How often do you practice for these tournaments, and who do you train with?

Typically I train with a lot of people to see what their play style is like, and what their tendencies are. The people I mostly play with: Scattered Dreams, Jaeger, Shade Swifteye and Shin Ryujin (when he have time).

Hoodless, thanks for your time, and I wish you the best of luck on fulfilling your dream!

#Hoodless4Paris

Last edited:
It wasn't on the roster last year neither. I wouldn't expect it to be on this year main roster at all.

Word to mouth or google it, no offense. Next time for all Illinois players I'll make a thread majors or locals that coming up.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD