God of War Thread

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Good lord the combat looks like such a huge step back. It looks like Ubisoft made it.

Everyone is pointing out that whoever played this really sucked. I posted the video here without watching it first, otherwise I wouldn't even have posted it, lol.
The combat is praised in each and every review. It's apparently really fun, fluid, varied and with many options of playstyle, accessible yet challenging. Many point out that throwing and retrieving that axe never gets old in 30+ hours playing. Must be really intuitive and have a nice feel and weight to it.
Maybe watch a couple of reviews or wait for someone who knows what he is doing.

Last edited:

Lulu

accessable yet challenging.

Ah but here's the kicker... if thats true then gamespot wouldn't suck at it so bad. This is generally why I don't like watching developers play their own games.... its poor representation of what its like if I get my hands on it... I fell into that Trap with The Phantom Pain...

Many point out that throwing and retrieving that axe never gets old in 30+ hours playing.
Why ? Whats so special about Axe tossing ?

Maybe watch a couple of reviews or wait for someone who knows what he is doing.

I think it would better to wait for the Hype to die down, the game to get all DLC and patched up. At this point it seems like most of the appeal is just to play the new thing while its new...

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Why ? Whats so special about Axe tossing ?

First of all, it's apparently a really good feeling, many say. That has to do with the sound design of it swooshing back from afar and the rumble. It feels as if it snaps real weighty back into your hand.
Secondly, you can be really playful and tactical with it. You don't just throw it and it comes back. You can also let it be stuck in an enemy or a tree or a wall or the enemy's weapon. You can keep a certain enemy or enemies pinned to something or frozen to a spot while you pummel another enemy with your fists. When you call the axe back you can positition yourself in a way that it hits a couple of other enemies on the way back. Lots of stuff like that. There are apparently skills and upgrades that let the axe do more stuff, expanding what you can play with.

Last edited:

Lulu

First of all it's apparently a really good feeling, many say. That has to do with the sound design of it swooshing back from afar and the rumble. It feels as if it snaps real weighty back into your hand.

This is known as Kinesthetics among gaming Academics.... most gamers though just call it (Game) Feel or just "Juice"....

Secondly, you can be really playful and tactical with it. You don't just throw it and it comes back. You can also let it be stuck in an enemy or a tree or a wall or the enemy's weapon. You can keep a certain enemy or enemies pinned to something or frozen to a spot while you pummel another enemy with your fists. When you call the axe back you can positition yourself in a way that it hits a couple of other enemies on the way back.
That sounds good... I guess for me the deciding factor comes down to practicality... its not about what possible its about whats practical....

Remember that Grenade Ricochet trick from The Phantom Pain TGS Demo ? LOL... highly unlikely & impractical in the actual game... it was basically scripted.

I suppose it is Santa Monica Studios so hopefully they deserve alil more credit than Konami & From Software... but I wana see ameteur gamers pull it off aswell.

There are apparently skills and upgrades that let the axe do more stuff, expanding what you can play with.

Is this an open world game ?

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Is this an open world game ?

Semi open world. There's a big, open hub-world from which you can access many different regions. Those regions are best described as wide-linear. There's a lot of branching paths and shortcuts. Everything is somehow interconnected. Many likened it to a "Metroidvania" world.
About 50% of the whole world map is actually optional and you won't even see it if you just follow the story.
There's lots of secret bosses, secret items and secret story bits to find that flesh out the characters, world and lore. Reviewers stated that the optional content is meaningful and just as good if not even better that what you do in the main story line.
Main story line will last about 30 hours, optional stuff will add 20-30 hours. Apparently, but the reviewers have been really secretive about it (probably gagged by Sony), there will be some changes to the game world once you beat the game. You can then go back and do lots of stuff you missed or new unlocked content.

Last edited:

Jadeinchains

Semi open world. There's a big, open hub-world from which you can access many different regions. Those regions are best described as wide-linear. There's a lot of branching paths and shortcuts. Everything is somehow interconnected. Many likened it to a "Metroidvania" world.
About 50% of the whole world map is actually optional and you won't even see it if you just follow the story.
There's lots of secret bosses, secret items and secret story bits to find that flesh out the characters, world and lore. Reviewers stated that the optional content is meaningful and just as good if not even better that what you do in the main story line.
Main story line will last about 30 hours, optional stuff will add 20-30 hours. Apparently, but the reviewers have been really secretive about it (probably gagged by Sony), there will be some changes to the game world once you beat the game. You can then go back and do lots of stuff you missed or new unlocked content.

Well that's good that it's going to have hours of side content as well as their being stuff to do once you've beat the game same with their being secret bosses and stuff to add to the lore of the world, that will be great in my point de vue.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Well that's good that it's going to have hours of side content as well as their being stuff to do once you've beat the game same with their being secret bosses and stuff to add to the lore of the world, that will be great in my point de vue.

Je suis heureux you posted right now, Jade, or I would have to double post, lol.

Okay, guys, this is the better quick combat breakdown to watch, lol:

@Lulu @DestructionBomb

Lulu

Makes sense... other wise the RPG elements would be even more pointless.

Okay, guys, this is the better quick combat breakdown to watch, lol:

Looks like a Faster Paced Dark Souls... which is as cool.. that being said.... Getting attacked by offscreen Enemies. Its as Lazy as it is Cheap.

You know what... I'm just not cut out for modern Gaming... I'l just play Furi.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Awesome quote by Businessinsinder.com about the game:

"Best of all: "God of War" has that "just one more" quality shared by the best games. Maybe that's "just one more" fight, or "just one more" objective you want to complete — I found myself constantly playing "God of War" past when I'd planned to stop.
In the same way that 2017's incredible "The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild" was constantly pushing players to seek out a new adventure just over the horizon, "God of War" encourages players to keep going. What's that shiny thing in the distance? What's down that canal? How do I get to that treasure chest?!
It's a somewhat dangerous quality for a game to have when you're playing it well past midnight in the middle of the week, but that's a testament to how much pure fun it is to play "God of War."
For every new area I found, another half dozen paths teased me with as yet unexplored regions. Up to and including when I finished the game, after over 50 hours of play time, I was still finding new areas. Having now completed the game, there are loads of places I've never been — entire storylines I've never completed, or even begun."
http://www.businessinsider.com/shou...18-4?r=UK&IR=T#1-its-incredibly-fun-to-play-1

Exactly my kind of game. :) I know already that I will comb through every nook and cranny. And after over 50 hours still not everything explored?!

62b4e159d601b3e8fa62834a580844f8925f8354_hq.gif

Brute

Standard Donor
I'm beginning to think your posts are all some drawn-out satire of a man without a mind of his own to think with.

Far too comical to be taking seriously.

Lulu

"Best of all: "God of War" has that "just one more" quality shared by the best games. Maybe that's "just one more" fight, or "just one more" objective you want to complete — I found myself constantly playing "God of War" past when I'd planned to stop.
In the same way that 2017's incredible "The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild" was constantly pushing players to seek out a new adventure just over the horizon, "God of War" encourages players to keep going. What's that shiny thing in the distance? What's down that canal? How do I get to that treasure chest?!
It's a somewhat dangerous quality for a game to have when you're playing it well past midnight in the middle of the week, but that's a testament to how much pure fun it is to play "God of War."
For every new area I found, another half dozen paths teased me with as yet unexplored regions. Up to and including when I finished the game, after over 50 hours of play time, I was still finding new areas. Having now completed the game, there are loads of places I've never been — entire storylines I've never completed, or even begun."
http://www.businessinsider.com/shou...18-4?r=UK&IR=T#1-its-incredibly-fun-to-play-1

Two Possibilities... either the game genuinely is that engaging... Or...

All I know is I've yet to play 50 Hour game that actually has 50 Hours of Content... execpt for DoA obviously.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
I'm beginning to think your posts are all some drawn-out satire of a man without a mind of his own to think with.

Far too comical to be taking seriously.

And I am beginning to think someone is trying really hard to get my attention.

So that we are clear here, are your posts written by private forumer, Brute, or are you talking to me as official "staff member" and "moderator", Brute?
If I am in any violation of the forum rules, I am sorry. Let's talk about this in a friendly/non-insulting way, maybe in a PM, to not disrupt the forum even more.
If you are however talking to me as moderator, Brute, then I want to remind you that you are also a moderator of this forum. As a moderating power, I want to call to your attention that someone is disrupting this thread, trying to continuously pick a fight and I don't want to fight. :(

Lulu

Who ? Me ?

I'm not intentionally picking a fight. I am however alil upset over what God Of War has become... perhaps I'm not expressing that in a non threatening way.

Brute

Standard Donor
So that we are clear here, are your posts written by private forumer, Brute, or are you talking to me as official "staff member" and "moderator", Brute?
The former.

If you are however talking to me as moderator, Brute, then I want to remind you that you are also a moderator of this forum. As a moderating power, I want to call to your attention that someone is disrupting this thread, trying to continuously pick a fight and I don't want to fight. :(
Nothing I've said has disrupted the thread. If you are really sensitive to that route, repeatedly posting the redundant opinions of others without contributing anything of your own is borderline spam. A single post acknowledging the critical praise is one thing. Numerous posts that revere platitudes like gospel are far more disruptive to an actual discussion about the game than skeptical comments about such behavior could ever be.

You posted a video that you didn't even watch. When someone did watch it and claimed it looked bad, you removed the video and responded to the criticism by saying "[other people say] It's apparently really fun," and then suggested that skeptics "wait for someone who knows what he is doing." My response is that maybe you should wait until you know what you're doing, as well. If you play the game and gush over it, I may or may not find such praise unwarranted, but at least it that would be you offering your own insight. What you've been posting lately is simply vacuous. It almost comes off like you're a guerrilla advertiser for the game, trying to generate interest based on hype rather than actual artistic achievements (hence, its similarity to spam). Wariness of that is not disruptive.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
The former.

Alright, then for now I will keep on ignoring any "spam" like this:

Maybe the moderator, Brute, can keep an eye out for actual and very intentional spam in the future.

You posted a video that you didn't even watch. When someone did watch it and claimed it looked bad, you removed the video and responded to the criticism by saying "[other people say] It's apparently really fun," and then suggested that skeptics "wait for someone who knows what he is doing." My response is that maybe you should wait until you know what you're doing, as well. If you play the game and gush over it, I may or may not find such praise unwarranted, but at least it that would be you offering your own insight. What you've been posting lately is simply vacuous. It almost comes off like you're a guerrilla advertiser for the game, trying to generate interest based on hype rather than actual artistic achievements (hence, its similarity to spam). Wariness of that is not disruptive.
My response to the criticism was actually trying to explain what reviewers say is good about the combat, as well as relatively quickly providing another, better suited video.
I am very excited about this game, as you seem to be equally strongly dismissive of it from the get-go in your posts, which I find just as bewildering as you find my excitement. I will try to tone it a bit down though, that as my peace offering.
When I get my hands on the game, and if it turns out my excitement was indeed warranted, which its critical acclaim rather suggests than the opposite, I will let you guys again know.

Brute

Standard Donor
Alright, then for now I will keep on ignoring any "spam" like this:

Maybe the moderator, Brute, can keep an eye out for actual and very intentional spam in the future.
That's not spam so much as shorthand (to be more specific, the intent was to criticize the value of the statement, not merely to anger other users). To elaborate, my criticism is that if the measure for games earning critical score lies with those two Nintendo games, the metric doesn't hold much value. It's kind of like how Black Panther is one of the most financially successful movies, often being compared in that way to Titanic, The Force Awakens and Avatar. All of them are pretty mediocre films, hardly worthy of significant praise. But the people are dumb and unimpressive things are often lauded, as is likely the case here (I'm aware that sales are not the same thing as critical praise, but both tend to be equally as irrelevant to the quality of the respective art).

I tend to present my criticism with snark rather than excessive exposition until questioned because it saves time and I like it stylistically. But just because I'm terse doesn't mean that I'm spamming. The specific, isolated line quoted indicates clearly, in my opinion, what my criticism was, and it's not only valid but relevant to the discussion you were trying to populate the thread with (ie: "God of War's critical praise probably means it's a great game").

I am very excited about this game, as you seem to be equally strongly dismissive of it from the get-go in your posts, which I find just as bewildering as you find my excitement. I will try to tone it a bit down though, that as my peace offering.
Being skeptical is not the same as being dismissive, nor is being pessimistic.
For the record, I think God of War will probably be a pretty decent game. While I have no intention of spending $60 on it, I'll keep my eye on it for sales and whatnot, just as I have done with its predecessors and spiritual peers. If I were dismissive, I would be saying: "It is shit," not "It looks underwhelming," without having played it. Conversely, to say "It looks good," is to be optimistic, whereas to say "It is amazing!" without having played it, is to be dismissive.

When I get my hands on the game, and if it turns out my excitement was indeed warranted, which its critical acclaim rather suggests than the opposite, I will let you guys again know.
That sounds perfectly sensible to me.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Krae Krae seems oddly Human in this game.

The Evolution of Kratos:

I think the dynamic of an old, hardened and bitter demi-god and a young, innocent and optimistic child is very promising. Not the first time that was ever done, but let's see if they bring something new to it.

Last edited:

Jadeinchains

The Evolution of Kratos:

I think the dynamic of an old, hardened and bitter demi-god and a young, innocent and optimistic child is very promissing. Not the first time that was ever done, but let's see if they bring something new to it.

Kratos' new sons face hearing Kratos talk about how he murdered his old family -
6c5c5c80-9309-0132-442d-0ebc4eccb42f.gif

Edit: Seriously though how is that going to go over If Kratos does tell him?

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD