Community Have Questions for Team NINJA?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are several massive events on the horizon for our community and a lot of you have had some pretty legitimate questions come up regarding things. More of you have had some completely insane questions, so if you fall into that particular camp, pass right on by. For the rest of you, we've been able to work out something I'm going to avoid calling an interview for a variety of reasons. That non-interview will be with Team NINJA directly.

We could have just whipped up a quick Q&A and posted it as an article, but we wanted to try something a little different. Those of you who've been around for a long enough time may have seen something similar in the past, but this is a different situation we're working with in 2015. We're going to open this up to all of you guys to ask the questions here. Before you get too excited, though, let's lay some ground rules.

First, we have to respect the fact that the Team has a plan in place for the new character regarding the media. You have to wait to find out the new character's favorite dessert, I'm afraid. Stay away from any questions that are very likely promised to traditional media outlets exclusively. For reference, look back at the Radiou reveal. Second, stay away from questions that are about unrevealed gameplay changes to the game. We will find that stuff out when they choose to fill us all in. Third, use common sense. If you ask a question that is deliberately inflammatory, your question won't be passed along. If you ask about something that hasn't been announced regarding other titles (I'm looking at you, DoAX fans), that question will similarly not be moved on.

That leaves you guys with quite a bit to mine for questions. Ever wondered why the team locked intros and such to 30fps? Might be a good question to ask here. Ever thought to yourself, "Self, why were High Level Jumps removed from the game?" Seriously, go nuts with questions here. A few of us will then screen the questions and probably fix some spelling and grammar before working with Team NINJA on getting things rolling.

We are working with an incredibly busy lead up to the launch of our new game with a brand new character reveal this week. There will be a delay, here. But we will get things polished up and pass the ball. Once we have a time table nailed down we will start to feed things back to the community and go from there. Please do not post questions more than once. If you don't want to ask your question publicly for whatever reason, send myself, @Rikuto or @Mr. Wah a direct conversation with the question and request your name be omitted. We may ultimately remove names from the questions anyway so it might be a non-issue but we do have some shy members.

Post away, ladies and gents.

I have a few questions actually, hopefully it's not too much of a bother for some feedback from them. (Unless it's still categorized as unrevealed gameplay.)

1) Are we expecting some new changes regarding the online modes? Such as an ability of an actual random filter to be disabled when making a lobby to prevent people from picking the randoms out of their filter on their saved options? (As in let the game choose the stage for you and not the players. Some type of lobby feature.)

2) Character Intro/Win poses (Including the Virtua Fighter characters). I know someone said there was a hint of them but I need to be sure if it's still alright to ask since the hint was just plain out. Perhaps LR will definitely have new win poses. (Depends on you how you take this question CyberEvil.)

3) This one might be out of hand I suppose..but I'll give it a shot. Is it possible for LR to have those nice sound effects from the arcades when selecting the characters and navigating through the menus?

4) Will the collaboration of Sega and Senran Kagura still continue for good support in the future and crossover/products?

5) Cannot believe I forgot this question, Will there be added from old or remixed themes DOA style for the VF characters? @Kronin helped me out a bit on this one awhile back.

That's about all I can think of.

Last edited:
Has the team considered making a wider variety of character intro and win poses based on character interaction or make intros and win poses quick conversations while being character specific?
Example: Bayman's "Leon Intro" with some kind of retort from Leon that is expanded on when either wins (currently with just something being said by Bayman as an intro).

Wtf is going on with Kasumi's loose hair (jk)

How is the save transfer going to work from PS3 to PS4 and 360 to X1?
^forgive me if this was answered previously

1) Any plans on pushing DOA5LR to more tournaments like Evo Meaning trying to get into a conversation with the organizers to make it happen?

2) Any plans on improving the connectivity of Doa online or any progression to get there?

3] Any way to discipline online boosters meaning cheating all the way to Rank #1 ?

4) Can you consider Having Team battle back for Online?

1) Is there any noticeable graphical improvement from the PS3 version to the next-gen ones? (Antialiasing, Higher poly count etc). I understand there's been videos, but apart from the new sparkly effects from some stages, I really can't see the difference between last gen and current gen.

2) Do they intend to give every individual character an ending in arcade mode in LR? If not, in future installments (DOA 6)?

3) What are they doing to make sure netcode in LR and future installments is better?

4) What can we expect from DOA 6 (Graphics/Gameplay perspective). And when can we expect to hear news of this. 2-3 years down the road?

With the amount of costumes you say will be available in last round will we be seeing less recolors and will the majority be dlc or ingame
also will we be getting compensation for the dlc we allready spent money on I don't care that much but it's probably on some people's minds
I might have had more but its1:37 am

1-Why did you changed the approach on DOA5 from serious fighter to the extremely focus on sexuality?.
2-Itagaki was planning a DOA game that was not a fighting game (outside DOAX), any chance that we will see the DOA universe in other genres like adventure or visual novel?.
3-How difficult will be to support all DOA5 costumes in DOA6?, or at least the best ones.
4-Tekken games always have an extra mode, beat 'em up, bowling.... any chance that this will happen for DOA in the future?.
5-Are you happy with DOA5 sales?.
6-DOA5 soundtrack is one of the most criticized aspects of the game, are you aware of it?.

It is a very busy time so I will be brief:

How much (planned) DLC will be offered in contrast to how much content is on the retail package?

Are there plans for anything new at all other than the basics of balance, costumes, characters, hairstyles, poses and stages on the retail package?

Do they plan to ever bring Last Round to the Wii U?

Why did they choose not to add any new story content?

What do they hope to achieve with Last Round as far as community growth goes?

What were some of the challenges of bringing Last Round to the Xbox ONE and PS4?

Will there be a free costume pack like in vanilla?

Why is the multiplayer not available right away on Steam? I have an idea, but I'm asked this question frequently and would like a more concrete answer.

Christie is clearly a Fox type of character. She does take skill to use, but she clearly has slower characters like Bayman and Leon completely dominated. How does Team NINJA plan to go about character balance in DOA5? With heavy weights especially...?

I'm not 100% sure gameplay changes were directed at balance, if that turns out to be true, ignore question 5 but here's my batch.

1. Will you be including more (or any) character specific intros/winposes between specific characters in singles mode? (Such as Helena vs Ein, Leon vs Bayman, Jann Lee vs Leifang)

1A. There were certain characters such as Ein, Akira and Leon who lacked in variety when it came to winposes and intros. Can we expect some of these characters to get a new one or two?

2. It can be certain that a much talked about component of DOA5U was the online play. Was tweaking netcode and performance more of a priority for this last iteration of Dead or Alive 5? Could we see any larger improvements to the netcode on a PC version?

3. Will every character in Last Round, male and female, be getting at least 2 new costumes or will there be characters with only one new set of attire?

4. A much complained about aspect of online play was that your opponent's username and rank was displayed in ranked match search results alongside their connection. This enabled players to avoid specific people (most likely skilled players) for a variety of reasons, most likely to avoid potentially losing a win streak. Is there any possibility of this being removed in LR and seeing your opponent's connection to you only?

5. Did Evolution of the Karate Master (An open letter sent via Twitter from the fans and Ein players discussing the character and potential improvements) ever manage to reach the eyes of Team Ninja?

6. One of the biggest issues of DOA5U's music setup was that while you could assign songs from the vast library of DOA games to either the stages or the characters themselves, this meant that not only were you limited to the one song that played on a specific stage on the stage music setting, but on the character setting if you were having an extended set against a player using one character, you would only hear the same two songs over and over again.

The question being, will there be a music option that randomly selects a song and plays it during a match, more like the older DOA games in vs modes?

7. As of now DOA and it's players are being split across 4 (possibly 5) different platforms. Was cross-play between PS3 and PS4/Xbox 360 and Xbox One ever a consideration or even a possibility?

8. Any chance of the DOA1 soundtrack making it into the game's musical library this time around? Maybe even a few Ninja Gaiden songs?

9. Unlike the previous 2 iterations of DOA5, will Last Round have an intro before the title screen like in the older DOA games?

10. It's been said before that this will be the final iteration in the DOA5 series, but is there any potential for new stages or characters as DLC later down the line?

11. Ever consider the possibility of a single character multi DLC costume pack? Instead of one costume for a number of characters, 1 character getting 2 or 3 costumes at a time. Possibly even the character themselves being left up to a community poll. It would be a great chance for newer additions to the DOA5 roster to catch up with the rest of the cast in costumes, as well as the male characters catching up the females in wardrobe.

12. Going to be a bit shameless with the last question. Is there any chance we could see either of these two fantastic costumes for Ein and Akira in Last Round at some point? https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BZcBpgcCMAAK-Ie.png and https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BqUMkfBCMAAIbHv.jpg:large

Last edited:
1. Team Ninja seems to want to grow the Dead Or Alive player base by supporting the tournament beat. Unfortunately, one of the complaints I see the offline community level against itself is low turnout of both players and audience. Has Team Ninja considered hosting some tournament events during conventions such as PAX, AnimeCon, or RTX (the latter being noteworthy because the organizers are longtime DoA fans), where player attendance might be more convenient and the venue might offer a huge congregation of bystanders to witness the camaraderie and get interested in the scene?

2. In the same grass-roots marketing vein, Has Team Ninja considered the use of Youtube Let's Play artists or their advertising space as a means of spreading the word about the depth of strategy Dead Or Alive has to offer alongside its cinematic style?

[EDIT: Disregard if this is already a thing, I just haven't seen either of these in use]

Last edited:
Any possible thoughts on doing crossovers in the future?

At what point did you guys decide to create Last Round?

How do you predict the game will fair in the current gen market?

What inspired the team to create fan design contests? How do you feel the outcome was? Would you consider having more contests in the future?

When designing the new characters, although they will not have a story in LR does the team know what direction they are taking the characters or are there still things in the air in terms of their development?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD