DOA5LR Helena in DOA5: Last Round

XV MR ARMANI

other than the 33P nerf I think Helena pretty much remained the same. we might have to work a little harder due to the grab nerfs but hey, we got a little more safety in return for other moves. I think TN is trying to tell us to use 66P more too lmao, they changed the properties of that move in a majority of patch updates leading up to now.
(omg I got scared when saw that her BKO 66P changed, thought it was gone for good)

Pictured Mind

I definitely feel like I have the knowledge to make a beginners guide. I just don't know what people would want to know. I'm always someone who tells people to play a character in a way that works best for them. My Helena is probably very different from most other Helena's, because I've found ways to make playing her easier for myself. Not to mention you can do so much with her, that it wouldn't feel right to tell other people a specific way of playing her.

Eh, maybe I'm kind of a hipster when it comes to stuff like this.

Zack117

Standard Donor
I definitely feel like I have the knowledge to make a beginners guide. I just don't know what people would want to know. I'm always someone who tells people to play a character in a way that works best for them. My Helena is probably very different from most other Helena's, because I've found ways to make playing her easier for myself. Not to mention you can do so much with her, that it wouldn't feel right to tell other people a specific way of playing her.

Eh, maybe I'm kind of a hipster when it comes to stuff like this.
I see your point but I do not think this guide would be about you telling other people how to play her but to offer them a different point of perspective for this character by explaining how you play her.

Everyone plays the same character a bit different, be it more or less. And the more players would contribute to gather their style of play, the more other players are going to benefit from it who may not have known the one thing or the other. Of course also for players who want to develop an anti-Helena strategy. Not to mention newcomers to DOA or just players looking for Helena as a character to learn.

I presume everyone could benefit from it.

Furthermore I must admit that you got me hooked now. Ways of playing her easier for yourself? I'm interested! But I would not resent you if you would rather want to keep this information for yourself.

Pictured Mind

you got me hooked now. Ways of playing her easier for yourself? I'm interested! But I would not resent you if you would rather want to keep this information for yourself.

Haha, what I mean by that is that, because she has so much stuff in her arsenal, you find little set ups and strategies that are more "advanced". Think of force techs, unholdables and guarantees. Even tho she has a lot of simplicity in her combo's, she even has mix ups in her juggles for example. One combo ender sets up useful unholdables (as a side note, I thought Rachels unholdable game was good. Helena is a queen when it comes to unholdables, lol) while others leave you in another stance that then lead to more mix ups, and others are just for raw damage.

What you said about everyone playing characters in different ways; I agree. It's just that because of her tools and options, she can be played in a lot of different ways. While a character like Rachel gets played in mostly the same way by different players.

As far as I know, we're gonna save some replays at the next offline session I go to. So that way I can show you my playstyle against actual good players. I think that would also be useful for players who are new to the character. :)

There's one thing I can say to new players, you'll need to put some time into playing and learning her. You can win with a basic Rachel or Christie for example. Not with a basic Helena.

But thanks for the response man. It definitely seems like an interesting idea to teach something to new players. This post is longer than it should've been. Damn.

Omegan Eckhart

Anyone found a use for BKO 66P yet? It's hard to find legit uses for anything when you're stuck fighting the AI. It can't really be used in combos so I can't think of what to do with it. Team Ninja obviously put it there for a reason, although they might of just wanted to add something for LR and were too lazy to do anything that required effort.

66P is primarily a rush down tool, but who wants to rush down whilst in BKO?

Project Bokuho

Lady Helena's Pet
Premium Donor
It could be quite a useful move for punishing mid and high wake-up kicks after doing the BKO duck (I think). I'll have to wait for my copy of Last Round to arrive and see.

ninjaguy446

It could be quite a useful move for punishing mid and high wake-up kicks after doing the BKO duck (I think). I'll have to wait for my copy of Last Round to arrive and see.
Doing BKO T or BKO 6P4P would be better than BKO 66P though. Hopefully we'll find a use eventually.

Pictured Mind

Haha you guys are way too hyped for small stuff. Not to mention half my unholdables are gone because 33P doesn't stun on normal anymore.

I still have some useful ones tho, some viable mids, some semi-viable highs. A little bit of everything. Maybe I'm just gonna smack them all in a tips and tricks thread or whatever, because I suck at guides. We'll call it "a guide to blanc manger" and then it's not a guide. Anyways I'm rambling.

Zack117

Standard Donor
As far as I know, we're gonna save some replays at the next offline session I go to. So that way I can show you my playstyle against actual good players. I think that would also be useful for players who are new to the character. :)
I'm eager to see your matches. Where will you make them accessible? IF they're going to be recorded it, that is.

Project Bokuho

Lady Helena's Pet
Premium Donor
@E-Mann @Pictured Mind @ninjaguy446 @GreatDarkHero

I found some decent stuff for Helena that crushes and evades low strikes (it was a pain testing against all characters lol).

After :236::P+K: (to BKO) being blocked by opponent
- BKO :6::P: crushes all low strikes and crouching throws
- BKO :6::6::P: (Buffering only; you must input during :236::P+K:'s second or third handslap!) crushes all low strikes (except vs Kasumi's :2::P:, Alpha-152 :2::P:, Ayane's :2::P:, all VF's :2::P:/Akira's :2::K:, Phase-4's :2::P: and Momiji's :2::P:) (Inconsistent vs Raidou's and Marie Rose's :2::P:) and crouching throws (Inconsistent vs Genfu's :2::F+P:), causes a knockdown.
- BKO :H+K: evades all low punches crouching throws:
  • Crushes :2::K:s and launches all characters (except Kasumi, Mila, Helena, Kokoro, Christie, Eliot, Tina, Akira, Sarah, Leifang, Pai, Phase-4, Marie Rose, Momiji, Genfu, Rachel and Honoka)
  • Crushes :2::K:s and causes a lift stun (only vs Kasumi, Mila, Helena, Kokoro, Christie, Eliot, Leifang, Phase-4, Marie Rose, Momiji, Genfu, Rachel)
  • Only evades :2::K: (only vs Tina, Akira, Sarah, Pai and Honoka)

Last edited:

Yurlungur

Does anyone know what moves cause a hard knockdown for helena, so far all i know is bt4pk and 3ppp but 3ppp isn't helpful during combos

Project Bokuho

Lady Helena's Pet
Premium Donor
Updated, because Team Ninja likes to secretly buff/nerf stuff lol
After :236::P+K: (to BKO) being blocked by opponent
- BKO :6::P: crushes all low strikes and crouching throws
- BKO :6::6::P: (Buffering only; you must input during :236::P+K:'s second or third handslap!) crushes all low strikes (except vs Kasumi's :2::P:, Alpha-152 :2::P:, Ayane's :2::P:, all VF's :2::P:/Akira's :2::K:, Phase-4's :2::P: and Momiji's :2::P:) (Inconsistent vs Raidou's and Marie Rose's :2::P:) and crouching throws (Inconsistent vs Genfu's :2::F+P:), causes a knockdown.
- BKO :H+K: evades all low punches crouching throws:
  • Crushes :2::K:s and launches all characters (except Kasumi, Mila, Helena, Kokoro, Christie, Eliot, Tina, Akira, Sarah, Leifang, Pai, Phase-4, Marie Rose, Momiji, Genfu, Rachel and Honoka)
  • Crushes :2::K:s and causes a lift stun (only vs Kasumi, Mila, Helena, Kokoro, Christie, Eliot, Leifang, Phase-4, Marie Rose, Momiji, Genfu, Rachel)
  • Only evades :2::K: (only vs Tina, Akira, Sarah, Pai and Honoka)

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD