Help with Akira's neutral game

Astro

I honestly have no clue how to open people up with Akira aside from 3P+K and 33P+K. 6P+K is cool except when I accidentally stuff a jab with it and end up with negative advantage. I'm trying to utilize sidestep P and capitalize on counter hits with limited success. Any tips?

Also Kasumi, Ayane and Hayate are giving me issues. Trying to learn the matchup, but I keep getting blown up every time I press buttons.

Sly Bass

Premium Donor
I honestly have no clue how to open people up with Akira aside from 3P+K and 33P+K. 6P+K is cool except when I accidentally stuff a jab with it and end up with negative advantage. I'm trying to utilize sidestep P and capitalize on counter hits with limited success. Any tips?

Also Kasumi, Ayane and Hayate are giving me issues. Trying to learn the matchup, but I keep getting blown up every time I press buttons.
Akira's jab is +1 on block. It also catches side steps if someone keeps doing that to you. A popular technique is to throw a jab at someone to make sure they're blocking and then follow it up with 6P+K. SS K also works as a neutral opener. 2P will put them on their heels, but won't lead to the stun game. With Akira, he's really become a CH initiator unless you're using a guard break to open them up.

Astro

That's helpful, thanks dude.

Does he have any guaranteed force tech set-ups to help with setting up his guard breaks?

Astro

Helpful. Does it only work for closed-stance?

I can't get it to work just yet, I'm not that proficient at instantly getting 43P from a dash (I barely remember to use it most of the time, but this is making me reconsider), but I'll practice with it and see where it goes.

Heikou

Standard Donor
Helpful. Does it only work for closed-stance?

I can't get it to work just yet, I'm not that proficient at instantly getting 43P from a dash (I barely remember to use it most of the time, but this is making me reconsider), but I'll practice with it and see where it goes.
It works in every stance, and once you get the hang of it, you'll see it proves very useful. It puts you in a perfect position to mix your opponent up between guard break and another mid, and deals good damage in low stun threshold on top of all that.
It's also possible to get a guaranteed force tech from Akira's 64T, but you don't get the combo damage and the timing is more difficult than from SPoD.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
You don't need to perform a dash. The dash is merely the option to cut the time from getting 43P to whiff on the invulnerable state from when they touch the ground. The only time you really need to input a dash is if you are trying to go for 33P+K. You can literally tap guard twice as a secondary option to cut the time and then 43P. Literally, you can just stand there, wait, and then enable 43P. Doing 43P too early will simply whiff so you have to wait, but there is a noticeable time frame on when you want to land 43P. Dashing isn't necessarily required, it's just a person's method to getting "their own timing."

The difference between 43P and 33P+K is that 43P's sidestep function puts him closer to the enemy for netting that right advantage. Doing 33P+K is sketchy since there is a large distance gap that can prove troublesome if you are aiming for setups after teching someone up. If you can't do 43P, swap to 33P+K after the dash. It's guaranteed even in AI standards. 43P is not even a true force tech, it's just a force tech that lands on the right frame from when they touch the ground, thus making it almost impossible to do wake up kick options regardless, but so does 33P+K after SPoD. Astro go for dash > 33P+K, but it's recommended to go for 43P since it puts him closer to the enemy. 33P+K however, is never bad. Don't ever feel shame for going for the older option because it still works.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also 64T's best FT option is 4PP+K. Never understood why 43P after 64T is a thing since 4PP+K is a no-timing tech with higher advantage.

Last edited:

Astro

The haymaker->groundbounce launcher? I'll have to mess around with that.

I rarely force tech in general (I'll probably go for it if I'm 2 rounds ahead in ranked and not in bullettime lag), but part of the reason for that is that 33P+K looked like it stood the opponent up way too early to do anything except maybe fishing for 66P+KP or SDE counter hits.

43P isn't a true force tech, but it can nullify the opponent's wakeup if it hits on the right frame, right? Does its situationality stem entirely from the timing?

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
The haymaker->groundbounce launcher? I'll have to mess around with that.

I rarely force tech in general (I'll probably go for it if I'm 2 rounds ahead in ranked and not in bullettime lag), but part of the reason for that is that 33P+K looked like it stood the opponent up way too early to do anything except maybe fishing for 66P+KP or SDE counter hits.

43P isn't a true force tech, but it can nullify the opponent's wakeup if it hits on the right frame, right? Does its situationality stem entirely from the timing?

Correct, however when i'm describing true FTs, it's mostly tech that not even the computer can get out of or prevention of wake up kicks in general. 33P+K after dash from SPoD is a true true FT but not as potent as the player type version from 43P. Simply because 43P step will just put them closer. The window type is pretty moderate aftee SPoD, it's usually inputting 43P raw that may give some players.

A common issue is players doing it too early.

As for the 64T one, set the AI to perform 64T into 4PP+K immediately right after. Now you should try to see if you can perform wake up attack options. Mind you that this is not a true one either, but it's on the same concept manner as 43P. Very difficult get out of.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD