Hitbox controllers

Should Hitboxes be allowed for DOA tournaments?

• Total voters

Ooobe

Ya it is awkward for but I did take advantage of both analogue and d-pad in Soul Calibur 4 for a certain character I use. But it really depends on the person's comfort of utilizing it.

Point is if you're banning Hitbox because of extra functionality regardless of how it is positioned then why not pads with analogue sticks and to what point is extra functionality too much when we also are permitted to assign extra attacks to extra buttons.
I'm fine with banning pads with analog sticks or limiting the use to only one of them. It's not realistic, since that's how standard controllers are built, and would be hard to enforce, but limiting players to only pad/stick/ etc. would be fine with me. Pick your input device and stick with it. <edit> I'm okay with limiting the button to the 3 basic buttons too.;) - though the combined input buttons are universally available to all controllers, so not an issue <end edit>
@d3v - I'm not sure if I follow what you're saying. I think it's that the hitbox doesn't have extra functionality, because you can't input "impossible" directions or is it that the d-pad/analog stick does allow you some wierd things? - Also 8 overrides 2? Interesting..

Tenren

DOA4 you could use both sticks and the D-pad, At high lev you would run in with the left stick while holding back on the right stick. With this new back-dash its actually easier to pull on a controller then using an arcade stick. Also to do this back dash correctly it takes to hands. I can do it with one but it dosnt always work. The same thing on a pad. This new back dash only works on VF characters. Who at the same time look like turtles when free stepping. You can argue all you want about hitbox having an advantage but I dare you play a grappler or Hayabusa with a hit-box and then tell me which is easier. Also see how long it take you to get use to high and low holds

Ooobe

DOA4 you could use both sticks and the D-pad, At high lev you would run in with the left stick while holding back on the right stick. With this new back-dash its actually easier to pull on a controller then using an arcade stick. Also to do this back dash correctly it takes to hands. I can do it with one but it dosnt always work. The same thing on a pad. This new back dash only works on VF characters. Who at the same time look like turtles when free stepping. You can argue all you want about hitbox having an advantage but I dare you play a grappler or Hayabusa with a hit-box and then tell me which is easier. Also see how long it take you to get use to high and low holds
Okay, so you don't think hitbox is better, but you are choosing to learn an admittedly difficult instrument? I find that puzzling. I won't make judments about 'easy' (particularly during transition - just changing to arcade stick is a big switch for many).
Why are you investing the effort, if not to gain an advantage?

TakedaZX

The questions I have is why do only they have that ability? Is there something that makes them less than the other characters which balances it out? I mean this gives them an ability to be ridiculously evasive to damn near anything, I don't want to have a tournament thrown because someone happened to have a rsb.

Now for the hitboxes... it really depends on the first question. If this rsb was PLANNED then I don't think they should be a part of tournaments. Let the players fight on the same ground they always have, but if the rsb wasn't planned, It needs to be fixed up to put us all back on the same page, or everyone needs to have this ability. Shit. I like it no doubt, but it just don't seem fair.

Tenren

the VF characters have a very very slow free step

this new back dash can be done with HitBoxs/ pads/ arcade sticks

HitBoxs have problems inputting 360s vs pads and sticks
EVO doesn't ban HitBoxs even custom home built ones

@Ooobe I play other fighting game and use to play on keyboards so I have issues with arcade sticks so choose to leanr a hitbox

Tenren

Just :8_: or :2_:. Its a huge difference. DOA has a huge free step, Hence the name of this site FSD. Not being able to do so make you very easy to out move a VF character. Free stepping is also the same thing you do when playing a online scrub Hayabusa who just spams telaport. With out it your dead.

again this whole argument to ban HitBoxs doesn't work because this move can be done with all controllers, and only works on 3 characters.

TakedaZX

Just :8_: or :2_:. Its a huge difference. DOA has a huge free step, Hence the name of this site FSD. Not being able to do so make you very easy to out move a VF character. Free stepping is also the same thing you do when playing a online scrub Hayabusa who just spams telaport. With out it your dead.
Funny, last time I checked everytime I free step something, My opponent retracks onto me, point blank or not... anyway... if that's their idea of balance and everyone else agrees with it, there's no reason for me to argue. I'm nobody in this forum anyway.

I don't see why they didn't just speed up their free step...

Tenren

not all moves track,
I also take it back this back dash can be done by everyone its just not as fast with DOA charcters

Ooobe

Yeah, I thought there was something wrong with the game when I noticed Pai's step/crawl:eek:. Then I figured she's from VF - use the side-step.
I didn't think this move was character specific, though some were better at it/faster than others. And yes, a hitbox is not required for it. I just felt the hitbox was the technically superior device in general and my luddite reaction was to side with the ban. I don't expect it to be banned and I'm not starting any crusades ;).

<edit> Ninja'd

TakedaZX

not all moves track,
I also take it back this back dash can be done by everyone its just not as fast with DOA charcters
I already know everyone can do it. Like the guy said, it can be done with everyone, just the VF characters get it the best.

Also you're mistaken. Everything retracks at some point especially when you sidewalk/free step. Tracking is only lost at point blank range, and you guys really have to be pushing up on each other when you side step... and trust me the retracking is ridiculously good in this game. That's why when people clip each other...

(Clipping: The act in a game when two characters try to occupy the same space at the same time then one is pushed out.)

...the person who gets pushed out usually ends up getting comboed to their back. Lets take Hitomi's 66kkp for example. The p will have you there's no doubt about it. I've been free stepped(or side stepped)at the second k, and saw my Hitomi literally land, and turn around behind he and launch the person... that shouldn't happen... but it does...

Tenren

free stepping is really more for positioning, unless you have god like 180 FSD abilities I wouldn't use it up close. Also no not all moves track. If this was true every thing would hit a real SS. This also gives way at the 180 FSD. Yes a combo will track. You can SS the first but the rest will hit, you maybe even be able to SSx2 but if its a 3/4 hit combo you will be hit.

TakedaZX

free stepping is really more for positioning, unless you have god like 180 FSD abilities I wouldn't use it up close. Also no not all moves track. If this was true every thing would hit a real SS. This also gives way at the 180 FSD. Yes a combo will track. You can SS the first but the rest will hit, you maybe even be able to SSx2 but if its a 3/4 hit combo you will be hit.
Meaning the free stepping isn't really as useful as this rsb and rsf. Even side step only makes non tracking options obsolete til the next punch or kick. This allows you to make things completely whiff within split seconds then gives you the option to come back in right from the outside of their range every time. I'm not saying we shouldn't have a back dash... but not one that fast, it needs to be toned down, and I need an actual reason why their sidestep/free step should be slower... if it's below... why is it?

d3v

@d3v - I'm not sure if I follow what you're saying. I think it's that the hitbox doesn't have extra functionality, because you can't input "impossible" directions or is it that the d-pad/analog stick does allow you some wierd things? - Also 8 overrides 2? Interesting..
Hit Box does not allow 2 opposing cardinal directions to be input at the same time. This is actually a feature of the Cthulhu chip that Toodles makes for them.

For home mad "all button controllers," it's pretty easy to assemble a SOCD cleaner via kit.
http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/socd-cleaner-kit-now-available.148881/

Madian

This argument is just retarded. If you don't like the glitchy backdash then just ban it. I own all three (pad, stick, hitbox) and I can do it on any of them. The guy in the video isn't even using a method that is viable in a tournament since he removes his right hand from it's station over the attack buttons.

d3v

Why the heck does a backdash need to be banned? That's like saying that wave-dashes, tridashes, plink-dashes, unfly, re-fly, etc. need to be banned from Marvel just because only a few characters can do them.

franman

Hit Box does not allow 2 opposing cardinal directions to be input at the same time. This is actually a feature of the Cthulhu chip that Toodles makes for them.
And that's only for the PS3 version what about the Akishop Customs PS360 PCB for the Hitbox that works on both PS3 and Xbox 360 does it not allow 2 opposing cardinal directions to be input at the same time?

TakedaZX

This argument is just retarded. If you don't like the glitchy backdash then just ban it. I own all three (pad, stick, hitbox) and I can do it on any of them. The guy in the video isn't even using a method that is viable in a tournament since he removes his right hand from it's station over the attack buttons.
The dash doesn't need to banned, it either needs to be fixed unless there's a good reason the VF characters to have a bad free step but a retardedly fast "glitchy back dash". I'm all for KBD and Wave Dashing because they've always been there and they're not hard, even this one isn't... but it out speeds, that's the problem.

Does a side step crush high tracking moves like Hitomi's 46k? If so, and I mean if someone can pull up video proof of it happening, I'll let this argument go, even though that would mean the VF characters are still 1uping the DOA characters outside of the superior back step in combos that they have...(Akira and Pai)

Madian

The dash doesn't need to banned, it either needs to be fixed unless there's a good reason the VF characters to have a bad free step but a retardedly fast "glitchy back dash". I'm all for KBD and Wave Dashing because they've always been there and they're not hard, even this one isn't... but it out speeds, that's the problem.

Does a side step crush high tracking moves like Hitomi's 46k? If so, and I mean if someone can pull up video proof of it happening, I'll let this argument go, even though that would mean the VF characters are still 1uping the DOA characters outside of the superior back step in combos that they have...(Akira and Pai)

I'm okay with it being fixed. Hell, it doesn't really bother me and of my three characters only one has a fast back step.

But your poll wasn't "should the Back step glitch be fixed" it's "should hitboxes be banned in tournaments" with the rational that you can abuse this exploit and that's just not valid. This was originally discovered by people using pad and stick.

TakedaZX

I'm okay with it being fixed. Hell, it doesn't really bother me and of my three characters only one has a fast back step.

But your poll wasn't "should the Back step glitch be fixed" it's "should hitboxes be banned in tournaments" with the rational that you can abuse this exploit and that's just not valid. This was originally discovered by people using pad and stick.
"But the poll", It's not my topic. I said Hitboxes aren't the problem, but the rsb is. So were on the same page, i still voted no because until it is fixed, or whether it's fixed or not could really change things. The hit box doesn't look so efficient anyway... way too many face buttons imo... but idk maybe other people find it useful, and I won't knock it til I try it.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD