Holds in Critical State -- just get rid of the damn thing already?

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
Now I know the counter-argument to this already, and it's a valid one -- you remove holds in hitstun from DOA and it's no longer DOA.

I also understand the supporting arguments, that the problems DOA 4 introduced can be rectified with natural combos, guaranteed environmental damage, shorter active windows on holds and reduced damage on them in general.

In truth, yes, it does "help" to fix the problem, but I don't think it really does it completely. The fact is, most competitive people don't like being able to get held out of hitstun. At all. For any amount of damage. Ever. It fucks up the pace of a good fighter. There are even people who dislike MK9 because of simple combo breaking mechanics that cost meter. Lots of people think, if you mess up you should pay for it, period. If you wanted to counter, maybe you should have done it before the first attack landed.

And you know, they might just be right.

The more I keep playing other fighting games, the more I'm finding myself in agreement to this. I mean you have to plan so much in advance with the spacing, the environment and mind games, it just doesn't seem right that your opponent should be able to stop you after they've already screwed up. There's only so many ways to launch and no matter how hard you break up the hold system to make it more complex, its only ever going to come down to 2 or 3 options you have to guess between.

Even if you reduce the window for active frames on a hold, does it really fix the issue? If you're only stunned for so many frames there is only so long your opponent can free cancel and attack with his launcher of choice. That makes it pretty easy to gauge when its going to come out, regardless of which hit level you end up guessing on. Especially if its a deep-stun and bottlenecks when you are allowed to hold.

Are holds in hitstun something you actually enjoy? I'm not asking if its critical to remove them or not to make the game playable, I'm asking do you truly and honestly enjoy this feature of the game and want it as part of the gameplay?

Is DOA a unique enough fighter to stand on its own if you remove the ability to counter in hitstun? We know why holds make the game stand out, but thats mostly because they are so god damn infuriating to the point they get everyones attention.

Didn't anything else make you originally fall in love with the game? The crazy over-the-top multi-tiered stages, the characters/movelists, the environmental damage effects, the graphics, the physics engine and the way people fly back like 20 feet and manage to catch themselves when Ein punches them in the face? And for the shallow ones, the sex appeal?

Think long and hard about this. Just how important is this counter system in DOA to maintain its uniqueness among other fighters?

And is that counter system actually detrimental to the growth of the game, regardless of whether or not we can personally deal with it?

If you removed them from hitstun completely, you would probably have to shorten the damage threshold on stun before it breaks and lessen stuns overall. But isn't what we're advocating for anyway?

I know the (few) advocates for DOA 4 will strongly disagree with me on this because for some reason they actually enjoy torturing themselves under that system, but what do you the rest of you think?

Personally I don't want DOA to turn into Tekken or Soul Calibur. They have their own control system, movement and rules that make them unique. What I want is DOA, in all of its glorious over-the-top level smashing madness, but without the bullshit that makes you go "What the fuck, I just read everything right and my attack landed why am I being punished for it?" When the bullshit is gone only solidity and style remain. Is such a thing so undesirable to everyone else?

And yes, 3.1 had the same bullshit minus wall stuns. You could severely punish it and that made it much more playable, and if you were the right character in the right situation you could outright kill someone for it. It didn't really contribute anything though, it doesn't take much character or matchup knowledge to bait a hold and throw it. That's a wrist slapping reaction that can instantly end a round. That particular aspect didn't make it any deeper in my mind, it just made it tolerable and allowed you to actually enjoy the rest of the game for once.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
1) You've never been able to hold out of hitstun. ever.

2) Critical state wasn't introduced until DOA++ with the Critical Threshold. In DOA1 for Arcade, Saturn, and PlayStation you could be put into a deep stun state (not titled Critical State but was basically Critical State) and you could not hold out of it. However, there weren't many moves in DOA1 that put you in this state, typically a counter hit wake-up kick or a jumping punch.

3) As I've stated before, my personal opinion is that it would be fine to remove holding from Critical State as long as the focus of the Critical Threshold system was also toned down.

4) I didn't read all of your wall of text, but I'm fairly sure I know what your points are as we've had these discussions in the past numerous times. I also edited the title for you for clarification.

virtuaPAI

I am the reason why you are here!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Doa5 needs to have a reduction in critical states period, with more normal hitstuns. Critical states should only be struggable resulting in medium disadvantage. The fact that you can escape further punishment is great enough reward. If they must keep this feature, let it be a parry/repel/clash that result in both players being in neutral. With a proper fsd system being implimented, there are more preventitive defensive options available, where you do not need the obsurdity of critical holds.

Doa do not need critical holds for it to be doa. I loved doa(2) because it had huge environments, great interaction, cool characters with crazy moves, huge knockbacks. Doa3 was the best doa, and it had absolutely nothing to do about holds.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
Critical state/Hitstun, it's basically the same thing to anyone who isn't specifically you two, no offense. DOA tries to differentiate between the two based on whether or not you can hold, but I don't and nobody who plays other fighting games competitively does either because critical state applies to everything that matters now.

The title was named as such because not everybody is even aware there is a difference between the two, nor should they have to. If you were a new player coming over to DOA, would you understand the thread title as it is now? If not, but you popped into the thread out of curiosity and saw the wall of text regarding a term you're not even familiar with would you bother actually reading all of it? If you asked any of the online warriors what critical state even was, do you think they would know?

No, they would not. Because the term is pretty much irrelevant now and there isn't a need to differentiate between the two, unlike the good old days when there were viable exceptions to the rule that demanded a second definition.

Critical state itself may as well be gone and the terms merged into something more universal like hitstun, because the only true "hitstun" you're talking about is only applied to some very selective stuff like the boxes you can smash into on the boat level of DOAD. That was probably an accident, too.

If they must keep this feature, let it be a parry/repel/clash that result in both players being in neutral.

See, why do we have to have this mentality? "If it MUST be in, let's do this so it isn't quite so bad". Then someone at team ninja gets a better idea and distorts the original concept because that's what game designers do. They want to add their own personal touch to every damn thing regardless of whether or not it's good for the game.

I know we're used to being screwed over, but comn. We actually have a few ears now. How about.... "no, this sucks, remove it completely. It's bad for the game." That is very straight forward, there is nothing for anyone to play with there.

It shouldn't be so hard to take a stand on this instead of just assuming we're going to get ignored. What's the worst that can happen, we get ignored anyway?

virtuaPAI

Staff member
Administrator
Well than, just get rid of the critical hold all together. Here is the perfect solution. Criticals should signify that the offensive player is capable of getting a gauranteed hit. Depending on the critical and efficiency of the slowescape(struggle), should determine wether the offensive player can either get a guarnteed hit, or frame advantage. This way the opponent has to actually think of a proper defense, while the offensive player maintain his advantage.

virtuaPAI

Staff member
Administrator
This way, they can properly impliment throws and holds that put a player in a critical state. Speaking of holds, are they going to fix sabaki's? They had a lot of potential.

Jefffcore

I think they should leave them in, but only for the ability to escape select small stuns; like how you would break a combo throw. I'm also starting to think that they should take damage away from holds in critical completely. Not normal holds obviously, just ones in critical.

Arnell Long

What Rikuto and UncleKitchener said I completely agree with.

With that being said we know DOA5 will still have Counters in Hitstun/Counter States so how about the player who screwed up gets only "one" chance to counter while in Hitstun therefore if they mess that up they can't counter again til the situation goes back to neutral?

Berzerk!

I don't mind that you can hold out of critical state, but there should be a higher risk, given that escaping that state is a big reward. Perhaps counters need the smallest window with longest recovery in this state. Reducing the holds to parries in this state, might also be warranted - of course we don't know whether normal counters are like this already, or not.

I prefer that to removing them, because it doesn't take anything away from the player and remains intuitive, but as players get better, they will learn that using it when not completely sure will result in dramatic punishment.

Enables the player choice and achieves the same effect that attackers aren't so scared to attack - in fact, adds to the power of the attacker.

Arnell Long

That's a valid point Berzerk, I pretty much feel if a player is getting punished and throws out the wrong counter, they should no longer be able to counter again til the situation is set back to neutral.

grap3fruitman

Standard Donor
I pretty much feel if a player is getting punished and throws out the wrong counter, they should no longer be able to counter again til the situation is set back to neutral.
The person in critical state should already be at a disadvantage, why give them the opportunity to get out of it? Not to just get out of it, but holds as we know them right now, let people play dumb and reward them with successful holds doing 50+ damage. That doesn't make any logical sense.

I really like this thread. I think I'd like Rikuto's suggestion, perhaps just getting rid of the hold almost entirely. Take the hold system revealed in the DOA5 control config and limit the single direction holds to parries and the "expert holds" as the only damaging holds and have both of these options available in regular state. For this to work though, you'd need to reduce the number of moves that create a critical state as well. Rikuto needs to go knocking on Team Ninja's door along with Mr. Wah.

Arnell Long

Grap3...the reason I stated what I did is because Rikuto's idea is way too good and Team Ninja isn't going to do that. Just like the past 3 or so DOA entries, the counters have been there whether a player is in Counter State or not, so I thought it'll be a good idea to move in the middle of Rikuto's idea and Team Ninja's...by still having counters, but giving the player one opportunity to counter within the situation. Hell, I rather that then the way DOA currently is.

I'd buy everyone is this Thready a copy of DOA5 if Team Ninja actually went with such an amazing idea and rid the game of counters like Rikuto stated above. But as bad as we would love that idea to come "Alive", it unfortunately won't be happening on Team Ninja's part.

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
So, we're pretty much going back to the DOA++ days where things were rounded and made sense.

I like that, but it all depends on whether Hayashi/Shimbori-chan-san-sama-kun really give a shit or not.
Spoilers: They don't.

Arnell Long

Team Ninja basically said they wanted to listen to the Community for the Development period of DOA5, but we don't if that is fact of not til after NG3, which more focus will be headed towards DOA5. All in all I feel this could the best and most competitive DOA yet, well that's if Team Ninja talk to the right people in our Community...Sorwah, VirtuaPai, DrDogg, Rikuto, Perfect Legend, Ninja CW, etc...

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
What Rikuto and UncleKitchener said I completely agree with.

With that being said we know DOA5 will still have Counters in Hitstun/Counter States so how about the player who screwed up gets only "one" chance to counter while in Hitstun therefore if they mess that up they can't counter again til the situation goes back to neutral?

It only takes one ill-placed counter to piss someone off and make them swear off the game.

No, it needs to be gotten rid of completely in stun. Gone. Removed. Forever.

No compromises.

Outside of stun system it can be 3 point 4 point 6 point with parries, i can live with whatever they throw at me.

In stun, that shit needs to become gone.

Arnell Long

Well let us hope Team Ninja hears us out and do just that because that idea is what you, I, and pretty much everyone wants.

Dammit, Team Ninja better talk/listen to the voices of this Community ...DOA5's slogan..."I'm a fighter"...well you could be if you heed these said requests...

R4712-VR88

I pretty much feel if a player is getting punished and throws out the wrong counter, they should no longer be able to counter again til the situation is set back to neutral.

It reminds me of the combo breakers from Mortal Kombat, only you have unlimited of them. =P But basically you can get out of the stun but you'll be to be on point with it.

But, you know, after playing Mortal Kombat for a long time now I kinda like having that advantage where I don't have to worry about my opponent having any sort of chance to fight back when I'm comboing them, unless they have a breaker. And even if they have a breaker they still have to know when the use it to escape my combo. Sometimes even it's not worth breaking the combo because you may need that meter to for an enhanced attack or X-Ray.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD