Holy crap I forgot how good this game looked :)

gamemaster14

I personally like both games for their merits. I wouldn't say that either I would like better. I completely agree that you don't notice how great doa4 looks until you give it another look. The problem with any game, is when the new one comes out everyone dismisses the old games thinking the new ones are always better in every way and have the old "I would never go back to that" mentality.

Plus doa4 has two things doa5 will never have. A fight over a head lettuce and a karate kicked T-Rex.

Argentus

DOA4's visuals are a lot more appealing than DOA5, although technically DOA5 does a few things a lot better. The most notable being character models.
Its like the characters faces sucked all the pretty out of everything else in doa5, leaving the rest of the game a muddy, brown, low resolution mess.

They pulled a Gruntilda.

Darkton93

Eh, I personally don't see what's so great about the faces in DOA5. They're both afflicted by sameface, but Bayman and Hayabusa look a lot better in DOA4. That, and the male models were really well done. The muscles on Ein and Jann Lee, for instance. All that seems to be done with texture in 5, but in 4 it's all molded detail. And don't get me started on the stages. Things are flippin' beautiful.

At least 5 is more fun to play, though.

Could anyone with capture card provide pack of screenshots, showcasing locations and characters? So we could use it in further discussions.

I only have two screenshots i found at GAF, so i'd like to see other shots to compare; because gaming news sites flooded of bullshots, it's kinda hard to find proper shots of x360 games in honest quality.

I only can say i believe it's very impressive for 2005's launch title, just look at those textures of background and clothes (click previews).

Aven Kujo-Gin

Depend of what is better to you, DOA5 look more realistic in both stages and characters models, but DOA4 was more beautiful and colored.
I guess people hate the game because there were so much less guaranteed combos, maybe it wasn't the best game to compete, but it was perfect if what you wanted is have fun.
Of course you guys can have different opinions and think DOA5 is better in all the ways, but I just enjoy DOA4 more.

TRI Mike

DOA4 was a beautiful game, yes. It still is. But DOA5 looks better in every way, we're just fond of DOA4's stages because the new ones are mostly squares.

virtuaPAI

I am the reason why you are here!!!
Staff member
Administrator
-Doa5 in General looks superior to that of Doa4, however, Doa4 do support superior cloth physics, hair physics and breakable/destructible objects. With Doa6, Team Ninja Should employ those missing factors...which would make for a sexy looking DOA6 ;-)

Ritsuko

Not only the visual aspect, DOA4 was more fun to play(Speaking of myself, I love the fast-paced style)
PD: I'm glad to see how this game is still getting some love :)

I never understood why people felt like this. Nothing about DoA4 was fast paced. It was a very defensive game given the nature of the frame data (even guard breaks were throw punishable....)

Tempest

I never understood why people felt like this. Nothing about DoA4 was fast paced. It was a very defensive game given the nature of the frame data (even guard breaks were throw punishable....)
The common theme among people who say positive things about 4's gameplay seems to be that they didn't look too deep into it.

synce

4 WAS faster. Lifebar was 20% smaller than 5's and you couldn't lay on the floor because you'd get FT'd

But yeah graphics. You can't say 5 looks better than 4 because realism is better than anime. That's an opinion. If you want to be technical, 4 had anti aliasing and the entire game ran at 720p60. DOA5 runs at sub 720p, has frame drops, no anti-aliasing, and all cutscenes are at 30fps (many are also pre-rendered)

Yeah, i was very surprised when read this from one guy:

5's character models have at least 3 times the polycount (ever noticed that sharp bulge or the nasty artifacts when stretching someone out? It's far less offensive in 5), there are actual skin textures instead of a single color, there are wet/dirt/reflection textures (more stuff to store in memory and to render), better normal mapping, actual self-shadows and more. Stages also have a lot more particles and lighting effects.

When i answered about DoA 4's textures/shaders and also how DoA 5's stages often look ?worse? because of their industrial/grunge style and some obvious low quality moments he said "Get lost".

Aven Kujo-Gin

The common theme among people who say positive things about 4's gameplay seems to be that they didn't look too deep into it.
This really bugs me. So basically you are saying that the gameplay mechanics can't be liked unless you are a casual or an inexperienced player(or like you say, someone who doesn't look deep into it.)
Look, people can have different opinions and tastes, and yes, I prefer DOA4 over DOA5, despite the good things about this game and how much support is getting. The reason? I simply find DOA4 more fun to play.

NightAntilli

I have some screenshots lying around... I'll post a few.

f0000746_49306e7eccff9.png

f0000746_49306d64017bd.png

f0000746_49306d4ad40ee.png

f0000746_478b86cd3dbb2.png

f0000746_49cefb96148e4.jpg

f0000746_49cefb9c59243.jpg

f0000746_47fbba4b125df.png

f0000746_4b573c594f1b0.png

f0000746_47fbb86a1a25f.png

f0000746_4b81caf342bdb.jpg

f0000746_4a73b4875335d.jpg

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD