Hopeful tweaks for DOA5U Ayane

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
What I would like to address here is moreso a change I feel would help Ayane a bit. Ayane has very good and solid tools in Dead or Alive in general. She's fully capable of fighting well up close and at a distance.

However, while she is facing forward, she has one full attack string that doesn't exactly do her any justice, as it actually seems to put her more at risk than it does anything else.

1. PP6KK (or 6KK for short string), which is her Punch Punch, mid kick to high kick string. The other variation of this would be PP6K2K, which is her Punch Punch, mid kick to low sweep string. This second variation of this string is fine. However, the first one is not. PP6KK and PP6K2K either ends high or low.

When this is being blocked, Ayane has to free cancel, delay, or end with the low sweep. She is not allowed to end this string with the high because all you have to do is crouch under it and then punish her (you can honestly punish her with your strongest throw if she commits to it, and that's awfully bad). She either gets blocked and punished, or blocked and then interrupted by mids of 11 frames or faster during the delay of a 6K2K.

What I think could possibly make her PP6KK string a lot better, is if PP6KK would turn into a Punch punch, mid kick to mid kick string (same for 6KK as well) with a very good and lengthy string delay like the rest of her strings have. And, it could either be about -6 or -7 on block, giving her “at least” the same amount of semi-safety as her 6PK string has. The PP6KK (6KK) could be a techable knock down on normal hit, and a hard knock down on counter hit (or hi counter hit).

Changing Ayane's PP6KK's last kick to a mid kick would actually make the entire string viable for neutral string poking, as well as keep players honest if Ayane decides to use this string.

Because she would now be able to end the string with a mid OR low, instead of a high or low. The string can continue to be linear, as PP6PK and 6PK are excellent for tracking while Ayane is facing forward.

2. PKK and BT H+KK strings. the final kick in both strings, which is a mid kick, doesn't really grant Ayane anything at all other than a techable knock down. It would be nice if PKK and BT H+KK would be a ground bounce launcher "only in the Critical stun threshold or on counter hit or high counter hit".

Because Ayane gets no actual reward for finishing either variation of the string, other than getting a techable knock down in any given situation that Ayane is finishing the string in. The rest of the properties of PKK and BT H+KK are just fine, my only concern is about the mid kick not granting hardly anything on hit within the Critical stun threshold or on any counter hit status.

3. P4P short string. Which is a high jab into a mid punch that leaves her back turned. First of all, this is an awesome addition to her arsenal. This is something she was definitely missing and it completes jab cancel mix ups.

Although it has outstanding multiple uses, it still feels incomplete. It feels as though it needs the ability to cancel it into a back turned forward spin or back turned spin, much like her PP6P3[4] and 6P3[4] strings.

P4P3[4] would be excellent for Ayane at range, on neutral hit, counter hit, and in Critical stun because P4P itself is a tad bit slow when Ayane wants to face forward again to further her mix up. So giving her the ability to spin cancel out of P4P would help improve her in that one area a good deal. That way, she doesn't just have to rely on her back facing options while opponents are in Critical stun or slowly turn around to face forward either.

4. It would seem that, in DOA5, Ayane was able to side step then immediately back spin. However, in DOA5U, she can no longer do this. It would be great if Ayane gained this little mobility back (side step then being able to cancel into a 1P+K back spin).

5. I would like to discuss the BT 6[6] roll. I think it would be better if the input for Ayane's roll while BT would be something like BT 6P+K, instead of just 66. This would allow her to dash foward a lot better without sometimes getting accidental rolls during execution. While also adding her BT rolls onto another input, allowing BOTH her BT dashing and BT rolls to be more precise.

BT 6P+K for one roll
BT 6P+K P+K for two rolls
Etc.

PPK6 roll would become PPK 6P+K, for example.

This is neither a buff or nerf, just a way to have better control over the character. For the exact same reasons behind the change of her back spin notation being changed from 11 to 1P+K. That change allowed for more control over Ayane's Integrated Movement.

These are my suggestions to TeamNinja. And they are the only character tweaks I believe she could use to help her be--well, complete. Because those are the areas she's lacking in (especially the PP6KK and 6KK area).

Last edited:

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
Well the patch is already out on PSN, and I highly doubt what these were implemented into the game.

There's a thing I want Team Ninja to do : when I side-step, I want to 1P+K to spin back but instead Ayane side-steps then turns back. I cannot freecancel that. We cannot freecancel a side-step. :( In DOA5, I could side-step then 11 to spin back.

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
What I would really love to see in Last Round is Ayane's BT6H+K being a launcher again. Yes, again, it used to be a launcher in Dead or Alive 4.0 (without the 4.1 patch) and you could do a BTPP4PP7K as a juggle. I'm sure if it were, that a juggle from front turn stance would be possible.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD