Horizon Zero Dawn

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Let's discuss Sony's new and exclusive Action RPG by Guerilla Games. :D

2975094-5178866615-28989.jpg

The game will release one month from now, February 28th in the US and March 1st in the EU, and just went gold.
Yesterday a press embargo ended and we were literally showered with dozens of previews by bigger and smaller gaming sites and magazines as well as independent gaming journalists that were able to play the game for several hours.
Here's a small selection of reviews that I thought were especially interesting and informative:

Preview by GhostRobo:

Preview by Easy Allies:

Preview by Kinda Funny Games:

7 Things you must do in HZD by Playstation Access (who are Sony employees but are nontheless always entertaining and very passionate):

Literally all previews (I have watched about a dozen by now, I couldn't help it. XD) are very positive. Aspects of the game that are specifically praised are the interesting and unique scenario and open world, the determined and very capable female protagonist Aloy, the fun, engaging and even on normal difficulty challenging combat system, the depth of customization and the graphical splendor.
Many describe the game as a blend of The Witcher 3 (writers and quest designers of CD Projekt Red were hired for this game), Far Cry Primal (the hunting and gathering and overall feeling of the world) and Zelda (there are dungeons with platforming, puzzles and tough bosses scattered over the world).

Last but not least let's feast our eyes on what we can expect from Horizon Zero Dawn on PS4 Pro, being one of the first games that were specifically optimized for the console from the start:

Last edited:

MeadowSpirit

I saw the Kinda Funny Games one earlier. This game looks awesome! I can't wait, but dear god, Horizon, Nioh, Nier Automata, maybe Ghost Recon Wildlands in the next couple of months off the top of my head.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
I'm glad I don't really care for any of the other games that are thrown at us in February and shortly afterwards. (Well, for Zelda I would care, if I owned a WiiU or Switch. ;) )
Horizon Zero Dawn is actually already my most wanted game for 2017. As I already said in the RPG thread, this is both a blessing and a curse. It's great to be able to play my most wanted already at the beginning of the year...but what should I look forward to after that? :(

By the way I am really looking forward to Horizon's implemented photomode:

source.gif

(You can even select time of day and weather!)

This will double the time that I will be spending with the game. :)

UpSideDownGRUNT

Half of the PS Access video is Nath orgasming about the grass lol I figured youd see that one eventually.

If there's anything about Horizon I dont want personally its Horizon to be the next MGSV/Witcher 3 where it takes like a month+ to do everything xD

I have alot of game time but not enough to beat a game like that in 10 days >.> the problem of having two hyped games release almost a week after each other.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Half of the PS Access video is Nath orgasming about the grass lol I figured youd see that one eventually.

If there's anything about Horizon I dont want personally its Horizon to be the next MGSV/Witcher 3 where it takes like a month+ to do everything xD

I have alot of game time but not enough to beat a game like that in 10 days >.> the problem of having two hyped games release almost a week after each other.

To your fortune and my misfortune Horizon is not as long as The Witcher 3. ;__;

Here's by the way the Dutch actress, Hannah Hoekstra, who lends Aloy her face:

C3gBe16WEAAOd0p.jpg:large

Aloy is voiced by Ashley Burch (Chloe/Life is strange, Cassie/Mortal Kombat etc.) however.

Also, awesome gif:

source.gif

Last edited:

ShinobiGuy

Yeah, this game is gonna be fantastic, haven't watched many of the previews as I'm trying to stear clear abit but I had to watch a few.
It looks so good! I am way behind on my games now, but when this comes out it will take precedence.
Still haven't started RE7 even.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Here's by the way yet another preview. It's by the the official Playstation channel. Of course they are super biased, lol, but they have especially pretty scenes and scenery in their video:

Jadeinchains

Not sure how much I'll be keeping up with it but yes Tyaren lol It is gorgeous, Especially that first picture posted. I love the design of those giraffe robot creatures!

Tyaren

Standard Donor
O:

*here once was a beautiful phone and tablet breaking gif*

Last edited:

Tyaren

Standard Donor
A reviewer leaked two screenshots of one of Horizon Zero Dawn's so called "cauldrons" which are underground dungeons with puzzles, platforming and tough enemies, not unlike Zelda dungeons, that seem to play an important part in the story:

1486901246566.png

1486906263740.png

I'm super excited for these. The cauldrons look so mysterious, menacing and just gorgeous. They are also a perfect contrast to the vibrant, untamed nature of the rest of the game.

Last edited:

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Guess what I just preordered? :D

27521821175_fba7601a00_b.jpg

Very interested in the art book. :)

Yeah, I'm shamelessly double posting...but what should I do when no one else wants to discuss this game with me? D:

tumblr_inline_mxnuyvS3hK1r25xgk.gif

Last edited:

ShinobiGuy

Tomorrow I swear I'll discuss abit with you :) great pics, those caves remind me abit about the catacombs(?) in AC, some of the last of the first.

Edit: OK, things I'm most interested in is having a large world to explore. Such as witcher. Often this game reminds me of tomb raider, especially the newest one. And though that is a great game and there is some exploration it's not anywhere near witcher levels.

The style and world of this game is such that I want to be able to spend time there, it really speaks to me and I'm hoping it's a place we can stay for a bit.

I've not watched too many of the films, just because it takes time and ATM that is in short supply, but every one I see just makes me want this game more and more.

Last edited:

Tyaren

Standard Donor
I can't believe they broke the embargo...again. Two weeks early. Come on! :/

DFetTOV.jpg

Guess, I have to tread the internet with caution from now on.

Tomorrow I swear I'll discuss abit with you :) great pics, those caves remind me abit about the catacombs(?) in AC, some of the last of the first.

Edit: OK, things I'm most interested in is having a large world to explore. Such as witcher. Often this game reminds me of tomb raider, especially the newest one. And though that is a great game and there is some exploration it's not anywhere near witcher levels.

The style and world of this game is such that I want to be able to spend time there, it really speaks to me and I'm hoping it's a place we can stay for a bit.

I've not watched too many of the films, just because it takes time and ATM that is in short supply, but every one I see just makes me want this game more and more.

Many have indeed compared the game to Tomb Raider or to Uncharted. There will be platforming and exploration similar to these games, but as you said on a much bigger and wider scale.
The world of HZD is however not as vast and open as the Witcher 3 world. It is more compact, a lot denser and you are pretty much guided on your way by the story and physically by valleys and canyons. So HZD is probably a bit more similar to FFXV in its world design.
As much as I do like absolutely open worlds like The Witcher 3 or Skyrim I also can appreciate more "restricted" open worlds, because they tell a story better and they tend to be more visually striking, because even more care went into their creation. I want HZD's world to visually blow me away after FFXV's world felt admittedly a bit bland and boring except a few locations.
Let's see how this world turns out. We will probably have some opinions in the next days since the game is already out in parts of the world.

ShinobiGuy

Crazy with that copy. I've basically stopped buying physical, it's all digital for me. One of the pros was supposed to be quick access. Sigh.

I'm ok with a story driven, but open world for this, just hope it's longer than TR. It already looks far better than FF, I was a bit dissatisfied with that. It started of good and has some nice areas, but it gets boring. Haven't gone back to it since I finished it. Even got the season pass... I'll probably jump in for that again.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
The beautiful intro of Horizon Zero Dawn:

@Jadeinchains are you still slanderously denying this game to be the prettiest open world RPG on console yet? >__<

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Horizon Zero Dawn will have a day one patch...
...of 250mb.

So for once a AAA game that I can basically immediately start without downloading a patch for an hour. :D

l3qlp7q.gif

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD