How did you come up with your username?

FatalxInnocence

I was having a discussion with a friend of mine over steam the other night, and the reasoning behind some peoples usernames is pretty interesting. So I'm genuinely curious, how did you come up with yours? is it personal? or just something that popped into your head whilst creating your account? Is it a staple username? or a username you use once off?

Mine, I actually came up with around Tekken 5's arcade release. I kinda wanted a unique username that was personal to me, so when I bought a tekken card I turned to my friends and asked what was a description word for me, they said innocent- and I added fatal in there because I figured "Well, most of my characters are also innocent looking ;P and being fatal in a fighting game with innocent looking characters could work out pretty cool in conjunction with my username!"

I was like 15 or something at the time, and I have kind of stuck with it since. I think it's a pretty cool username that's a pretty good description of myself. Apart from the fatal part, but that fits into my fighting game personas =]

How about youuuuurs?

Brute

Standard Donor
Well, I created a character a long time ago for a story I was writing called "Brute." Around that time I decided to start re-frequenting an old forum I visited, but forgot my old login info. So I made a new account, and named myself "Brute," using different pictures of the eponymous character as my avatar (which I no longer do, btw). Ever since then, the name has stuck, and the character grew in popularity. I re-introduced the character when I began my web comic, Gun Nuts, and that only reinforced the association of my online persona with the character.

So that's just my regular online handle: Brute. I've honestly come to prefer it over my real name, since many of my best friends I originally met online, and hence still call me "Brute." As far as my PSNID goes, "Brute" is often a taken screenname, so I had to choose something else. So similar story, but went with a different (but equally awesome) one of my character's names.

Rawbietussin

So like... strawberry cough medicine? hahaha that's cool =D

Haha yup. Funny thing is I remember taking this cough medicine in this default yucky orange flavor syrup though so it had a bad after-taste on my mouth and I always complain about it tasting that way since there were no other flavors lol. Strawberries are my favorite fruit (it's in a triple tie with cherries and peaches).

FatalxInnocence

Well, I created a character a long time ago for a story I was writing called "Brute." Around that time I decided to start re-frequenting an old forum I visited, but forgot my old login info. So I made a new account, and named myself "Brute," using different pictures of the eponymous character as my avatar (which I no longer do, btw). Ever since then, the name has stuck, and the character grew in popularity. I re-introduced the character when I began my web comic, Gun Nuts, and that only reinforced the association of my online persona with the character.

So that's just my regular online handle: Brute. I've honestly come to prefer it over my real name, since many of my best friends I originally met online, and hence still call me "Brute." As far as my PSNID goes, "Brute" is often a taken screenname, so I had to choose something else. So similar story, but went with a different (but equally awesome) one of my character's names.

Oh, yours came from a characters name in a story you created? that's awesome! and I get that as well. Whenever I meet someone offline after meeting them online, even after they learn my real name they continue to call me "Fatal". It doesn't bother me but I always ponder what the people around me are thinking. Still, you write a webcomic? do you have a link anywhere xD I'd be interested in reading it.

Haha yup. Funny thing is I remember taking this cough medicine in this default yucky orange flavor syrup though so it had a bad after-taste on my mouth and I always complain about it tasting that way since there were no other flavors lol. Strawberries are my favorite fruit (it's in a triple tie with cherries and peaches).

I actually had the opposite thing here, my mum used to get me cough syrup that was milky and it tasted like strawberries. Not sure if it's exclusive to Australia though.

Brute

Standard Donor
Still, you write a webcomic? do you have a link anywhere xD I'd be interested in reading it.
I haven't updated it in a while, but yeah. 28 single-page issues, all of which are archived here.

There's also a 7-page mini-comic that's a backstory for the character Jan. It's a lot more serious and depressing than the main web comic is, though, so it's not on that page.

Oh, yours came from a characters name in a story you created? that's awesome! and I get that as well. Whenever I meet someone offline after meeting them online, even after they learn my real name they continue to call me "Fatal". It doesn't bother me but I always ponder what the people around me are thinking.
They just think you're like a superhero with a codename. ;)

Rawbietussin

I actually had the opposite thing here, my mum used to get me cough syrup that was milky and it tasted like strawberries. Not sure if it's exclusive to Australia though.

I would have enjoyed that a lot. Heck, when I went to the US. I got sick and tried their medicine and it had always a lot of flavors that you would never imagine (cherry flavored chewable Benadryl tablets!). I'll take anything strawberry or cherry flavored than orange.

Awesmic

Standard Donor
I got Shocka from my sister. Because she called me that because im "shockingly fast" to her (I played baseball and football ). I just made the Aka part for random reasons.
Crap, I thought you were a Saint Seiya fan.

Juihau

Normally when asked, I just say it's gibberish, though it does actually have some meaning behind it.
Around late 2008, I was hooked on this MMO, and a whole new continent had been added, and with it, the ability to play as elves and giants. One of the first things I did was make an elf character, but I needed a name. At the time, one game I particularly enjoyed was Starfox Adventures, so I decided to use a name utilizing the Dinosaur Language frequently heard in it. In my complete unoriginality, I decided to just take 'Sauria,' the name the Dinosaur Planet was given in Starfox Assault, and use the cipher present in the booklet to Adventures. After naming my elf such, it...pretty much stuck with me.

As for my PSNID Luxaiz, it comes from the name I used for my giant. I basically just put Juihau through the same thing, which came out as Ziaxui. Being that I figured I should have my melee-focused giant contrast my mage elf, I just...reversed it. But, y'know, Iuxaiz would be both confusing and hard to pronounce, so I replaced the i with an l and got Luxaiz. Evidently my attempt to make it easier failed; one of the main questions I continue to be asked is, "how do you pronounce that?"

Also, something I learned later is that, by sheer coincidence, Juihau is very similar to 最好 (zui hao), which I believe is Chinese for 'the best' or something.

Last edited:

Chapstick

I use chapstick obsessively because it's the only thing stopping my compulsive need to pick/bite my lips until they bleed, then continue picking some more until I have blood all over my fingers (I actually just noticed I was picking at my lip without realizing while typing this). Nervous habit I've had ever since I started kindergarden.

My PSNID Phalangeh is a Friends reference. Phoebe would often say something about phalanges or use her fake name Regina Phalange and when I made an email account years ago, it was the first thing I thought of. 'Phalange' was taken so I tacked an 'h' on the end and after that put the 'h' in every Phalange account I made just because.
I took mine from the cough medicine, Robitussin. Rawbie was derived from strawberry lol.
I always assumed your username had something to do with robitussin but I never got around to asking. xD

Jyakotu

Standard Donor
Well, around 7th grade, my best friend met someone whom I consider a brother now because we've been friends for so long. Anyway, he was actually quite talented at drawing anime characters and would ask us to request characters for him to draw. Back then, I used to be into an RPG Maker phase (mainly RM2000/3) and actually made a bunch of subpar RPG Maker games. One of the character sprites in RPG Maker 2000/3 looked really cool, so I used him as a main character in one of those said games and named him Jyakotu Kurayami. Jyakotu actually came from the Japanese name of a Chrono Cross character, Viper. Kurayami was a word that meant "darkness", and Darkness was Jyakotu's element, so I used it as his last name. The character and the name has stuck with me ever since. My friend still draws pictures of him for me, especially since I just did a whole RPG project based on him and his story.

Rawbietussin

I always assumed your username had something to do with robitussin but I never got around to asking. xD

It had been prescribed by my pediatrician a couple of times when I was a frail, sickly kid (still am as an adult lol) all because I hate taking tablet meds back then.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD