How many frames does it takes to sidestep

Pharmacist

Hello there, i have been searching through the forums but i couldn't find just how many frames does it takes to perform a sidestep, and is there a sidestep list like who has the best and the worst sidestep in the game?

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
No list, yet...

But its the same as a hold where its invulnerable to non tracking attacks for 18 frames and 12 frames of recovery. I believe you can perform a sidestep attack on the 19th frame.

So it'd look like 0(18)12 in the frame data notation. A 13 frame side step attack would look like 31(2)22 for example, or 0(18)13(2)22 spread out.

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
No list, yet...

But its the same as a hold where its invulnerable to non tracking attacks for 18 frames and 12 frames of recovery. I believe you can perform a sidestep attack on the 19th frame.

So it'd look like 0(18)12 in the frame data notation. A 13 frame side step attack would look like 31(2)22 for example, or 0(18)13(2)22 spread out.
Ah, so that's why some moves like Mila's :3::P::P: can only be sidestepped with no followup.

Lulu

Wait.... I thought the Regular Side Step was a evasive for 20 Frames and recovers in 6 Frames.

As for the character specific command side steps.... I believe those are usually evasive for 15 frames..... I don't know how long the recover of those are.

And then ofcourse you need to to be awear of Characters with Special Freestepping Side Steps.... the obvious one being Mary "Totally 18" Rose.

XZero264

FSD | Nichol
Premium Donor
Last I checked it was 20 frames to sidestep (don't know recovery) as you get 20 frames of the SS "invincibility" as it is called by the in game data.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
It's a total of 25 frames of animation. So if it's active for 20 Frames then it has a recovery of 5.
Not sure about the active frames, but if both players are at neutral (+0) then a non-tracking attack of 19 startup will whiff, and a non-tracking attack of 20 startup will hit.

Last edited:

WAZAAAAA

These are the numbers I got from the game engine itself (game.exe+D7BEC8 - Steam Ver.1.04). This animation frame counter starts from 1 (meaning it's never equal to 0).

25 = total frames for an uninterrupted up/down sidestep

Being hit anywhere in these 25 frames by a Strike/Throw/Offensive Hold causes Counter Strike.

The "sidesteppability frames" (when non-tracking moves can't hit you) range from frame 1 to 20.

"Sidestep attacks" can interrupt a sidestep (and its sidestep invincibility with it). If a sidestep attack registers at frame:
1 = nothing happens
from 2 to 12 = last sidestep animation frame is 13, attack starts at 14
from 13 to 16 = last sidestep animation frame is the next frame, attack starts right after that
from 17 to 19 = last sidestep animation frame is 23, attack starts at 24
from 20 to 25 = nothing happens (you will get the regular standing attack you have inputted, because of the 10 frames long input buffer that DOA games have, but that's off topic)

Tested with Jann Lee. By the way, Jann Lee has probably one of the best sidestep attacks in the game because:
- it stuns long enough to let you followup
- fastest startup in the game among sidestep attacks (can't confirm this, that's what I heard)
- it's a temporary high crush (unsure, probably false)
Talking about the punch one. The kick one sucks lol.

TL;DR sidestep = 0(20)5 like stated here https://teamninja-studio.com/doa5/uk/patch/0116b.html

...and I barely use sidesteps lol.

Last edited:

Lulu

I have another Question.... is the Side Step Hold Completely Identical to a Side Step ?

Lulu

wtf is a side step hold

LoL.... I'm guessing nobody else calls it that.... now I embarrased.

Anyway... its what happens when you try to hold a hold resistant attack.... such as Leifang's infamous Shoulder.

WAZAAAAA

LoL.... I'm guessing nobody else calls it that.... now I embarrased.

Anyway... its what happens when you try to hold a hold resistant attack.... such as Leifang's infamous Shoulder.
So it's not a sidestep. The side step system is new to DOA5.
Well you hold it, deal 0 damage and switch side. Usually the opponent would end up being backturned, but the shoulder puts Leifang backturned too, so... the holder is supposed to have enough frame advantage to punish the opponent with something else. But if the holder doesn't really expect it, Leifang may get away with it. It's a strong tool, and this is why Leifang is such a bitch.

Lulu

LoL..... yeah I know. But I noticed something. I've been using side steps alot lately and I've found that its signicantly much easier to Throw Punish after Side Stepping a move instead of Blocking it........ as a result this has made it significantly easier for me to Throw Punish Leifang and Bass's Hold Resistsant Moves.

So what I was thinking is..... If I Side Step a Hold Resistant Attack instead of Trying to Hold it..... will I get more advantage ?

WAZAAAAA

LoL..... yeah I know. But I noticed something. I've been using side steps alot lately and I've found that its signicantly much easier to Throw Punish after Side Stepping a move instead of Blocking it........ as a result this has made it significantly easier for me to Throw Punish Leifang and Bass's Hold Resistsant Moves.

So what I was thinking is..... If I Side Step a Hold Resistant Attack instead of Trying to Hold it..... will I get more advantage ?
Just reproduce such situation on Free Training and check the "ADVANTAGE" part lul

AlexXsWx

A bit more info about sidesteps:
If an active frame of a non-tracking attack lands on opponent with active "sidestep evade" status, further active frames from the same group will not hit opponent as well even if the "sidestep evade" status will be over by that time.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD