DOA5LR How to Fight Against Bass: From Scrubs to Pros

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
Bass players are a rarity, but if you find a good seasoned player, you're going to hit a few walls, especially if you're new. However, the thing with Bass is that playing against him is a good exercise at learning the game and getting better yourself. Since Japanese Bass players have started to show up and figure most things out either by themselves or others, it would be a good idea to educate yourself.

Bass is a pure grappler, which means that in DOA land, he relies on reads to change momentum, put people into situations where they're forced to guess between damaging throws or hard-hitting strikes. No fancy mixups, no stances, no gimmicks, just pure hard reads and grabs. This means that his speed is a major disadvantage and he can be easily pressured if his Yu-Gi-Oh is not strong. If you lose to a Bass player doing online tactics, then it's your own fault. I don't know about online, but offline I know plenty. Here's how you don't let that happen so you both improve.

Basic Strikes and Tools:​
  • :P::P: string follow ups with the exception of :K: can be interrupted generally by high or quick mids. :K: can be crushed by most hi crushes. A good :2::P: can interrupt all options if the Bass player decides not to free cancel the first two moves in the string. :2::P: is a high crush. If your character has a good :2::P:, then it's possible to interrupt him before he even transitions into either the :P: or :2::P: finishers.
  • :P::K: string followups are all linear, but safe. The :P: string finisher is holdable on reaction. You can potentially sidestep the entire string, but the :P: string finisher has little recovery and not really punishable. Also, the first :P::K: transition may catch you during your SS. In stun, :P::K: can be used as an extender, but if you stagger escape, the Bass player would be restricted to using standing :P: as a stun extension. However, don't fall for throw baits. Do not duck after the first punch. You will regret it.
  • :9::P::P: is holdable on reaction and is very unsafe. All followups after the first strike are linear except the two followups after :9::P::K:. Other followups except for the third hit of :9::P::K::2::P: are safe.
  • :7::P: and the followups are all kind of bad. No one really uses these, but :7::P::P: is not interruptible on block and is safe against non-grapplers. :7::P::P::+::K: is interruptible and it's a good idea to do so, because it causes loads of block stun. One important thing is that :7::P: into a slightly charged :P: would net maximum threshold stun on an opponent for an unstaggerable CB! setup.
  • :6::P::P: and :6::P::K: can be interrupted on delay. This is more the case for :6::P::P: as even a small delay can be bad for a Bass player, but less in the case of :6::P::K: and it has a higher risk-reward compared to the other string finisher, except that it's very unsafe and linear. :6::P: has short range, but will catch you in a counter hit attempt and is the goto tracking mid in most situations, so it's used very often. It also beats Marie's special SS.
  • :6::6::P: is safe, but for a -GB at -4, it gives you the momentum you need to start making an offense. True mid. Will catch mid crushes and BKO attempts with full tracking. Depending on your advantage after block, you may have enough time use special stance and SS moves. Loses to Marie's special SS for some reason, but that seems to be the case for her SS since she's jumping and slow tracking moves fall victim to that.
  • :4::P: series of strings start with two mid punches into a GB mid and unsafe high punch. A pretty meh string overall.
  • :4::4::P: is punishable and is prone to crushes due to Bass' height. Pretty dangerous on counter hit, though.
  • :3::3::P: is unsafe on block, but the followup is a +5 GB and causes a soft knockdown. The only situation where you can't tech the second hit is against the wall where he gets to pick you up after a wall hit. You can punish the first hit and force the Bass player to try and do the followup to hold it or limit the use of the move.
  • :2::P: is -5 on normal hit with a high followup. This usually leaves him prone to 2Ps, unless a Bass players reads it and goes for a low hold. Bass players use :2::P: to test reactions and set people up for TFBB or WR:4::P::+::K: to crush any jab attempts. Bit of a RPS situation, but the faster your character is, the more of a chance you'll have hitting back first.
  • :236::P: is +4, so 9i jabs have good priority in terms of winning some trades, though :P::+::K: is guaranteed to win that particular trade. :6::K: attempts from Bass can be beat using fast jabs. Anything else will lose.
  • :214::P: is one of those dangerous moves which has range, damage and application (it tracks and is a true mid). You get hit by this on counterhit and you can kiss 1/3 of your bar goodbye. +3 on block means that fast characters are still able to poke him out of any attempts at using high OHs or slower than average pokes, but he can still trade with any poke attempt against him and win.
  • :1::P: is actually is a pretty dangerous move because of where it leaves you. Generally, the mixups from this is meant to be simple TFBB-:3::K: setup, but there are ways to beat this by having crushes that would beat :3::K:, essentially forcing a Bass player to start using OHs, loop :1::P: or a true mid. This move can be easily abused since the startup is not very noticeable and tries to beat out things like BKO shenanigans. Some Bass players have a tendency to loop you right back into the same situation since you can't poke him out of it with 11i mids after the first one connects.
  • Running :P: is a move that never gets punished by anyone for no reason and I need to constantly remind people that it's not safe until the later active frames (it has a total of 17 active frames, which is a lot). This is a hailmary for Bass players more than anything else, but it'll beat out any strike attempt because it does a lot of damage and even crushes lows. If a Bass player uses this, it either to force your to stand up or that they've gotten impatient and are trying to use a ranged tool to break a stalemate or to just get in. Most players using grapplers try to be disrespectful because if they do show respect, they risk getting walked all over.
  • :K: is a great guard break, but it is still a GB which is not the best at pressuring fast characters, so it's usually a good idea to bring out the fast jabs or silly crushes. Retaliating is a good way of figuring out a player's habits and every Bass is guaranteed to have a particular habit you can observe and plan against. Can also beat out of high crushes like Ayane's :6::P:.
  • :8::K: has good recovery. but it's very unsafe in general and is a high. This is not a move you'd see commonly used in the neutral game. Still important to know as this is the same kick as the one in :6::P::K:, but with less recovery.
  • :7::K:. If you see a Bass player use this in the neutral game, then he's trying to get your number or mess with your hold attempts (:7::K:-:3::3::P: attempts). If he catches you with this, then he already has your number. Not safe, so punish.
  • :6::K::P: needs to be punished more. If you let a Bass player get away with this, you are pretty much letting him/her get away with murder because this is one of those central strings.
  • :6::6::K: is where things get interesting so let's get to an interesting topic a lot of people have inquire regarding Bass:
Anti-BT

Usually, there are a few ways to get in to BT and the two most advantageous methods for Bass players are :6::6::K: which is +3 and linear and WR :4::P::+::K: which is a high crushing high which GBs at 0+ with a mid followup that is uninterruptible. Both of these are dangerous because they're setups for some some nasty mixups if you actually get caught in them.

:6::P::+::K: is another option, but it's mostly used for when an opponent is already in stun as it's normally not very safe, but comes with a few good followups.

The most used tools in BT by most Bass players are the BT OH (10i) and :4::K: (15i). These two moves catch most buttons throw at them. If you throw out a standing move (any more which is in standing state), you're guaranteed to get caught by the standing OH and eat a full 100+ damage combo on Hi-counter. If you get caught with :4::K: trying to side step or on counter hit or when trying to duck, you'll be put into a SDS and launcher. If you get caught by the low OH, you'll be put into a reset situation.

Before I go further, here's something important that went over my head and Rich Nixon, another cool Bass player pointed out:

Good info @UncleKitchener . Just a note that BT 4K doesn't guarantee a launcher if the opponent SE on fastest since Bass is only left at +15-16.

So, maybe this information might help you in the future, because I've never been held out of this setup. However, keep in mind that this can be risky due to TFBB also being there for the purpose of deterring you from holding, but more on TFBB later.

Depending on far you end up after blocking :6::6::K:, you can attempt to escape using a few methods. Characters with unique abilities such as Brad with his instant jumps unique to him and Ayane with her reverse crouch dash can go for a low-risk option that would avoid the dangerous high OH and taking minimal damage from :4::K: or completely avoiding it. Bass still has options to hurt you, but let's keep this simple for now. The same applies to Marie's special SS, but that only works at certain frames and can still get caught. Helena's BKO is something which is beaten by the low BT OH.

For those without these fancy shenanigans, if you're a little further than OH range after a GB, then you can try to back dash depending how big your character is. Most of the cast should be fine trying to run away. If you're feeling really confident, then you can go for a throw to beat the OH, but if you guess wrong, you'll be eating a lot of damage.

WR :4::P::+::K: on the other hand is slightly easier to try and interrupt as a 9i jab character can still interrupt the high OH attempt, but anything slower will fail and there's a chance that a Bass player might just use the followup to the string to beat out poke attempts.

Once you start disallowing a Bass player the use of these mixups, you'll have to deal with new types of tools, including BT :P::+::K:, :4::P:, which has the same speed and tracking properties as BT :4::K:, :1::K:, :P::K: and the low OH. The more dangerous of these are the low OH which loops back into a more dangerous position from another BT mixups, :1::K: which is an instant low crush that causes a trip stun on counter hit and :P::K: which is a 10i counter hit natural combo after a :6::6::K: GB.​

If you by chance get caught by the low OH, you'll have to make a hard 50/50 guess.​

• :3::K: is one of those moves that catches you at mid range and is used very often for poking. The weaknesses of this move are the average followups. The high kick followup is uninterruptible, but the mid punch is. Both of these are safe, but are also linear. Check the :P::K: followups for more detail.
  • :1::K::P: is uninterruptible on hit and delayable, but also very unsafe and average. You'll never see this used but if you do, punish it.
  • :6::P::+::K: is another one of those BT transition moves with two followups. One's a high GB while the other is an unsafe mid (like really unsafe -14). Neither of these pokes are interruptible by anything slower than a 9i jab, but a Bass player may choose to guard cancel the first hit and use crush move to avoid high pokes.
  • :6::6::P::+::K: is another very good GB at mid range that catches people often or puts them into positions where they have to guess. Usually, you're both left at 0, but if ranged right, he gets up to +3. Usually, high pokes or throw attempts common, so 2Ps are generally a good idea until a Bass players reads it and goes for a low OH. Teching this move on hit puts you a loads of disadvantage and not teching it will result in you getting picked off the floor for free. Be mindful of this move.
  • :426::P::+::K: is a mid GB that has high crush properties in later frame (from frame 2~4 onwards depending on your height). Its not great at crushing and has a tendency of getting caught by jabs from female and short characters. Usually at +2, it's pretty much guaranteed that this will crush jabs, even 9i ones.
  • :3::P::+::K: is one of those CB! moves that are hard to see and is safe with a very good stun, so it's something that Bass players use in stun to get something untstaggerable and force someone to hold or risk getting launched or eating a CB depending on the stun threshold. For Bass, it's actually pretty easy building up that threshold since he just needs three hits or two in some situations to go for a CB! Best advice is to read it, hold and poke or throw him out of the recovery to avoid the possibility of the throw follorup.
  • :1::P::+::K: is a slow charge move that is fairly noticeable to those with keen and trained eyes, but is an instant high crush which can be used in certain situations. Keep in mind that is does have some decent range and more range on block means loads of GB advantage.
  • :h::+::K: is another one of those GBs with good application for Bass. While linear or not really good at ranging people, Bass players use it as a keep away or in corners to try and pressure people. With +2 and crouch recovery, he has access to both his normal strikes and his WR moves. Usually at close range, it's +2, but it's easy to get +3 with this move to stop 9i jabs. It also crushes slow pretty quick (almost instant). Some Bass players also use it to trade with wakeup kicks, but can also crush mid WUKs if he whiffs. On whiff or side step, you'll have enough time to low throw him for punishment.
  • :6::h::+::K: another low crush kick that is used to get a hard knockdown for a pickup and also used to trade with wakeup kicks. Unlike :h::+::K:, the GB is negative (usually -4), so there's a good chance where you can start pressing buttons and start an offense.
  • :4::h::+::K: GB which puts him at +3, but otherwise a pretty below average move with limited use, so you won't see this very often if at all.
  • His side step moves are unsafe (-8 for SS :P: and -10 for :K:)
A unique thing about :6::P::+::K: and WR :4::P::+::K: transitions are that when a Bass player scored a hit and puts an opponent in deep stun, they have an options of extending stun into a BT :4::K: which causes a SDS. Now, this is important for people to know that if you try to hold him, you'd be getting a BT OH for your effort and possibly a full combo to your back-side which could do more damage than what you were originally going to get, so decide what option you want to hold against.

Dealing with :6::h::+::P:

Attempting to make a come back after getting thrown by :6::h::+::P: can seem pretty hard to impossible for new players and a real challenge for experienced players as no matter what character you use, Bass always has an option to deal with your action with a reaction, often with a bigger receipt than normal. A few characters such as Christie and others have decent tools to try and squeeze through the offense, but in no way are they at any form of advantage since every receiving character has to deal with at being at -10.​

A couple of basic things that Bass players will go for in this mixup are his loops where a player would buffer a dash during the recovery of the throw and loop at close range because the throw actually leaves both players at mid range, but the Bass player still has enough time to buffer a dash and throw out a :6::P: and win any trade, but only if they time it right.

At +10, it's good to know what you can and cannot interrupt.

Moves you can't interrupt is general are anything he has faster than 19i and in most cases his 20i moves including:
:6::P:
dash :6::K:
:3::K:
:K:
dash :P::K:
:6::6::K: (BT transition)
:3::3::P:
:6::6::P::+::K:
:6::P::+::K:
:3::P:
:1::K:
:6::6::h::+::P:
:426::h::+::P: (Can be back dashed due to mediocre range)
:2::K: (character specific)
:3::h::+::P:
:h::+::K: (Interruptible by 9i jabs)

Keep in mind that due to the above capabilities of this character, it is not easy to poke or move away from him in this situation.

However, if you are playing a character that is able to crush higher mid strikes to force him to use his slower low or true mids, then go for it, because that's when you can make him try to do things like :6::6::P: or :1::P: and then poke him out of those. Moves like :6::P: and :3::K: are prone to being crushed but :6::K: and :6::6::P::+::K: for example beat out crush attempts. However, moves like :3::3::P: count as true mids, but end up being unsafe, so if you can bait these type of unsafe moves, then you can punish.

Do not take this lightly because it's one of his main momentum shifter and loads of Bass players wanting to stay vanilla would take advantage and rely on it.

A couple characters I know off the top of my head with good chances of trying to poke him out of his offense are Gen Fu, Lei Fang, Christie and Helena, but keep in mind that OHs overwrite those good crushes those characters may have.

Some people even choose to do :7::K: flipkicks if they character has one to just to beat out things like potential loops, so it all depends on how much respect you can give each other and how deep the mind games go.

:214::h::+::P: and what to do:

This is something I feel like I need to keep updating people on since they forget so here's a refresher:

There are two thing that will occur after this throw; the Bass player will either go for :6::h::+::P: or continue with the entire chain throw series.

If he does the :6::h::+::P: extension instead of the :2::h::+::P: one, he'll get +11 and a guaranteed :6::K::P: and gets to pick you up for free. Now, you might test this out in the lab and find out that at fastest stagger escape you can hold this. Unfortunately, no instance of any human being able to hold this has been recorded in world history, so don't expect to see anyone holding this.

It's a better idea to be picked up at -9 with some room for escape rather than missing the tight hold timing and end up getting picked up for -13 and no room for escape.

Or better, try to break the throw chain and end up with +10.

Keep in mind that the full chain throw is one of the most damaging chain throws in the game. Nothing to screw with, especially on HCT.

Post Ground-Throw Situations:

This is important information to know when playing against a Bass player as their secondary form of offense and pressure is knowing you down to the floor and picking you back up when your character is still trying to remember their name.

There are two types of picking up; one where you end up facing him fact to face and one where you have your back turned. They net him +13 and +9 respectively.

So, let's say that you just made a mistake and got picked off the floor. What do you do and what can you expect?

At +13, Bass is at a huge advantage where anything up to 23i is free game against most 10i jab and 22i against every 9i character. This means that :6::6::P: and :1::P:, both 22i are guaranteed to beat you out of every offensive or defensive attempt not involving holds or parries. :P::P::P: and :3::P: magics don't work here due to the distance and the disadvantage you're left at.

He can also go for throws in this situation where his 11i throws would act as frame traps and can catch someone on crouch start up unless they hold down after a pick up. This can act as a reset and both of his 11i throws allow for ground pickups.

Generally, it's better to observe patterns of a Bass player and what options they select; do they go for pokes? Do they prefer launchers? Do they go for throws or OHs?

Once you have a good idea, they you can hold or throw for good damage or just stand still. All of his OHs can be beaten by quick command throws with the exception of :8::h::+::P: which actually jumps over throws. Obviously, it's slow enough to be poked out of, but it's one of those unique jumping OHs people keep forgetting about.

DOA3 Bass players have a habits of using the simple :3::3::P: and :426::h::+::P: from back in the day which was a legit 50/50, though with crouching command side steps in the game, offensive options have become more varied.

Bass can pick up character like Mila when she attempts to do her ground OH attempt when FDFA. This also applies to characters like Tina and Leon.

The back-turned pickup on the other hand is another story and you're left farther away at -9. You're at a more favorable position as you have a way to do a safer RPS game with Bass.

There is no absolute best option against Bass as every option you may choose can potentially be countered by a Bass player, making it hard to find the best option against him in this situation, but the most common options I've seen people adopt are to simply dash away to avoid some options such as :3::3::P: and if your character is smaller, you can also potentially avoid things like :6::6::P::+::K:. This way you're forcing a Bass player to come after you and start using running moves like his running throw. From there you can start seeing patterns what a Bass player uses.

Characters with special BT moves like Brad with his BT flip kick or BT parries with characters such as Bayman or Lei Fang against moves such as :3::3::P:. However, the frame advantage would still mean that he can still throw out moves which could potentially overwrite these defensive attempts.

Dealing with the Blender:

Unlike Helena's blender which deals with loads of advantage and hard to read mixups, Bass' blender is more dynamic and easier for fast characters to deal with than the rest of the cast. There are also unique matchup-specific things Bass has to deal with which someone with a more nimble character and try to counter better than others.

The primary way of getting into a blander situation is by getting knocked down with :6::K::P: is a juggle situations where the Bass player is guaranteed to go for a ground throw. There are two situations here that may occur:
  • You don't tech the knockdown and get picked off the floor, netting the Bass player +13 at close range, or,
  • you tech to get away in three different directions (background, foreground and back) and the Bass player still ends up with frame advantage, but noticeably less.
Coming out of a tech roll, depending on where you end up, there are situations where you can counter poke a certain specific type of poke aimed at you.

There are three main categories used for determining what the frame advantage gained from the blender is and what pokes are generally used to stop incoming offense after a blender; character weight, juggle height and speed.

The weight category goes like this:
  • Lights: Easiest to get the blender working and requires the least amount of sacrificing damage and nets the most frame advantage, even against 9i jab characters.
  • Mids: Similar to light weight, but nets slightly let advantage. Needs a bit of sacrificing in terms of damage.
  • Heavies: Harder to get and requires the most sacrifice in terms of damage, but still nets very good damage against heavies due to their speed.
Within this category, Christie falls into a unique place which will be explained. Helena and Gen Fu are considered mid weights in this category as :6::K::P: hitbox is big and Bass does not have combos specific to those characters.

Among the the light weight characters, those with 10i jabs and 12i-13i mids are at the least amount of advantage while the rest can get luckier. Eliot is the most disadvantaged due to the combination of slow pokes and light weight.

Among the mids, Generally, those with 10i jabs and 11i~13i mids need to make good use of RPS tactics to avoid taking the less damage. Lisa and Tina with their slower pokes are less advantaged than other mid wights. Nyo Tengu is considered to be one of the least advantaged and Christie being the most advantaged with 9i jab and 11i mid for a mid weight. This makes her the hardest to pressure after a blender.

Among the heavies, those with 11i jabs and 13i mids are still required to be defensive. Bass is considered to be the most disadvantaged while Raidou is the most advantaged with an 11i jab, 12i mid and 13i low for a heavy character.

Alpha is a unique topic and she has her own approaches. Since she has no regular wakeups, Bass players can sometimes choose not to go for the blender and simply wait until an Alpha player decides to wakeup because she can be punished if she goes for her special wake up option. If an Alpha player techs, it can be considered to be the same as when any light character techs after a blender, but with slightly less disadvantage for an alpha player. It's not all bad for Alpha players, but getting hit and guessing wrong can be very bad.

Another category is the height category and it involved the height in which :6::K::P: is executed. This can lengthen the post a little too much if I go into all the small and exact details, but you're only going to be on the receiving end, so I'll try to make it short. I've divided the height set to 4 sets:
  • Low: :6::K::P: is executed low to the ground and nets the least amount of frame advantage for Bass. Usually around 5~7 plus frames, depending on weight.
  • Mid: A little higher around waist level, where he gets around 6~8 plus frames.
  • High: Gut and chest high (or shoulder if done against a heavy weight), where he can get up to 11+.
  • Too High: Too high and :6::K::P: won't net the blender and instead give a generic ground throw whiff animation.

The last category is speed which looks like this:
  • Characters with 9i jabs and 11i~12i mids.
  • Characters with 10i jabs and 11i~13i mids
  • Characters with 11i jabs and 12i~15i mids

With these categories, you can determine what set of pokes are usually used by Bass players generally when an opponent techs towards either the foreground or the background.

Generally, these pokes include:
  • :P::K: 13i :high::mid: catches those using special command side steps and causes SDS on crouching opponents.
  • :P::+::K: 12i fastest high strike for Bass and is guaranteed to catch those pressing buttons.
  • :6::K: 14i fastest mid. Linear and catches crush attempts
  • :6::P: 15i tracking mid and has two followups. On counter hit, Bass players use the :K: followup to launch and do another blender.
  • :3::K: 15i linear mid causes SDS on crouchers.
Also, due to being in a situation where Bass is recovering from crouch after the ground throw attempt, he gains access to his WR moves, TFBB and WR :4::P::+::K:, both very useful, especially against those who tech away.

Above listed pokes are useful for Bass when you decide to tech towards the foreground or background. If you decide to tech away, you'd be at a better position as he won't be able to use his regular pokes and has to use his mid to long range tools such as his WR moves, :6::6::P::+::K:, :3::3::P: and running throw. You can backpedal away (:7_:) to gauge which approach a Bass player would use to get in and plan accordingly.

:426::h::+::P: and How to Deal With it:

This doesn't need to be explained much, but new players have problems dealing with this and getting used to avoiding and punishing this.

There are three charges for this OH; none to little charge, which starts from 18i~27i and has average range, slightly less than :6::6::h::+::P:, medium charge from 28i ~ 36i which does more damage but has less range and the last is the fully charged which is 37i and has the most range and transitions into his launching throw.

Generally, the best option for you is to visually identify the move, duck and punish with a throw for HCT damage.

TFBB

This is one of the best throws in the game due to damage and application. It does the second most amount of damage for a normal command throw at 88, but it also has the second longest start up and range at 16i, essentially using his :6::6::h::+::P: animations for his throw.

While the start up may be 16i, he can't actually get this sort of start up normally unless it's from crouching recovery or from a crouch buffer shortcut, which adds a few frames to the start up depending on which shortcut you use.

Back in DOA5U, Tina's WR :6::4::h::+::P: throw was the second most damaging Hi-counter throw, but in LR, Bass does the same damage on HCT. Another advantage Bass has over Tina is the general application of the move as it causes ground slam, has a wall, ceiling and cliff versions plus the range which makes it dangerous in levels with environmental elements.

Generally, TFBB is more common to occur when a Bass player does a move where they would be crouching such as :2::P: or :1::P:, but its main usefulness comes when Bass players bait holds and throw someone for Hi-coutner damage. There are a few layer of mind games involved with Bass and when he puts someone in a hold situation. Due to his damage and the small number of strikes he needs to max the stun threshold, there are a limited changes an opponent has to hold and if they do a standing hold, there a good chance that a Bass player has already buffered a TFBB and gets loads of damage that way. From here, the opponent starts holding low and in turn has to deal with options Bass has against crouching characters.

The best advice I can give is to be patient when in stun and notice patterns while calmly crouching. Some rarely throw this out and simply opt to stun and launch instead, other build up the threshold and might even go for CBs. Bass' small movelist can be helpful in knowing what's coming, but a player also has to be mindful of his mid and high launchers which can easily be transitioned into the blender. Some Bass players would create a sense of false security by following certain patterns and then catching someone holding with a surprise TFBB.

Keep in mind that if you actually get thrown by this on normal throw, it's a much better option than being forced to stand and eat more damage from :6::h::+::P: mixups. You can take the chance to have a breather and use your wake up options and put some distance between yourself and Bass.

The less you shun the temptation of holding the less damage you'd take. Maybe you could pretend to be a hold happy bunny and then just play heavy yomi with a yomi character. Be smart.

Range Game

Bass' range game is usually strong at mid to mid-long range in most neutral situations because he can perform whiff punishing well. He's weak at close range when he's on the receiving end but is also strong when being offensive and punishing. Generally, close range pressure and long range zoning would really expose strengths and weaknesses in a Bass player. If a Bass player is against an Ayane or Lisa player for example, he's going to have to play a cautious and patient game while waiting for a mistake while against a Marie Rose, Leon or Helena player he has a better chance of forcing someone to get close to his comfort zone so that he could either play keep away or wait for mistakes.

If you force a Bass player to try to get in from long range and be patient, then you can start to dictate your own pace, that is if you don't make a mistake.

Initial Approach

At the beginning of every round, unless a Bass player is familiar with your habits and patterns or is making aggressive use of KBD to keep distance, he'll always be at a speed disadvantage and needs to either punish or shift the momentum to start an offense.

The more offensive characters have a better chance of stopping any form offense, but making a mistake or using an unsafe moves can mean immediate role reversal and you'll be forced to defend yourself while Bass keep you on your feet and you're forced to read.

Whoever wins the trade gets to dictate how the pace of the match will go.

Frame Data?

http://blueviolet.ninja-web.net/game/doa5lr/per/bass2.htm

Thanks to our nippon champions.

Questions?

Ask away.

After being impressed and inspired by the selfless display of infodumping from HajinShinobi on spilling some beans of sorts, I decided out of boredom with the intention of better informing other lazy people like myself who wish to know more about the game.

Last edited:

Tempest

Thanks for sharing your knowledge with the community, you've got me inspired to keep plugging away at this Lisa guide.

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
I inspire people? Awesome!

And this post is amazing, I'll be reading it over to see if I missed anything or not. Good stuff @UncleKitchener

Well, more like just taking a format and expanding on it to the 10th degree. I could blatantly misinform everyone, but that's won't be fun in the long term.

Isn't it that time of the month for you to change your avatar?

smug.png

Last edited:

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
:214::h::+::P: is very cheap especially when you do the :6::h::+::P: extension against a wall because you get full combos.

Also, forgot to say that :4::h::+::P: back wall throw is the strongest wall throw in the game.

FakeSypha

Other than using the word "blender" (why not use a general term that applies to all FGs, like "vortex"? It's a personal gripe, don't mind me), this guide is awesome :D
No, being real, this contains lots of helpful info I didn't know about. There aren't any Bass player in my country, so I'm completely clueless in this MU.

Dr Snipe

Premium Donor
For some reason I thought it was how to beat @SlyBass. Good guide though I'll be setting the dummy up for these now.

Rich Nixon

Standard Donor
Good info @UncleKitchener . Just a note that BT 4K doesn't guarantee a launcher if the opponent SE on fastest since Bass is only left at +15-16. Also running P is safe on block if spaced correctly. While it is a hail mary in a sense , it has 17i of activity, and high damage, so it's unlikely to be stuffed by any strikes if used properly.

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
Good info @UncleKitchener . Just a note that BT 4K doesn't guarantee a launcher if the opponent SE on fastest since Bass is only left at +15-16. Also running P is safe on block if spaced correctly. While it is a hail mary in a sense , it has 17i of activity, and high damage, so it's unlikely to be stuffed by any strikes if used properly.
Yeah, I figured that would be the case, but since no one's held that ever against me (that includes people like Hurricane Rev, Emperor Cow and Grunt Dude who are long term players), I figured I might as well say that it'll hurt. I'll make a note on it in the OP.

Fair point about Running :P:, though it's more the case that people never stay still and back away, so it gets pretty hard actually making it safe or not risk whiffing it. I'll put that as a side note, but I want people to get into the habit of going for punishment because after almost three years good players still don't commit to punishment. Quite a lot of people don't punish Lisa's :236::P: for example.

Anyways @UncleKitchener , to comment on the article, this is a great read for anyone. I look forward to seeing what may come of this by other members in the future. This certainly took a lot of time. My hat is off to you.

xVqkYsk.gif

LOOOOOOOOOOL

I really hope people actually care and use this as an example for why not being at least open is more helpful in the long run.

tfw you try to read but nothing's there
View attachment 11444

You sure you haven't got me on your ignore list? Otherwise, restart your browser. @Mr. Wah is more familiar with these things, tbh. I just play with baby wordpress, so I don't know why these things happen.

Other than using the word "blender" (why not use a general term that applies to all FGs, like "vortex"? It's a personal gripe, don't mind me), this guide is awesome :D
No, being real, this contains lots of helpful info I didn't know about. There aren't any Bass player in my country, so I'm completely clueless in this MU.

I've been trying to move away from that too, but people had misunderstood me before, so I just stuck to game-specific terms instead of general ones. I dunno, doa community is like that sometimes, otherwise it's just a regular vortex.

Bass is the perfect gatekeeper character, though a lot of people get too bored of his pacing. If someone in your country starts playing him, help him improve as that helps everyone, because a good Bass player would be someone with strong fundamentals and that also teaches the same to others. Other characters like that would be Ein, Jann Lee, Mila and Lei Fang.

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
If there is more I could add to the OP, please let me know. @Rich Nixon pointed out things I missed out on, so if there are any more gaps, let me know and I'll fill them.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD