How to improve your mindgame in DOA

KING JAIMY

How to improve your mindgame in Dead or Alive

Introduction

Hello all! As the thread title suggests, this is a topic concerning one of the most important aspects of DOA: The mindgame. Having a good mindgame means that you can read your opponent’s movements, and predict correctly what they’re going to do. Furthermore, having an excellent mindgame allows you to inflict Hi-Counter damage on your opponent consistently, which is devastating when combined with a powerful throw, hold or combo. It could be even argued that a player with a superb mindgame who doesn’t have much knowledge on combos, could win easily from an opponent with amazing combos but who has a poor mindgame.

That being said, the main goal of this thread is helping out people who think they can get better by improving their mindgame. Thus, I will share my personal experience and knowledge as a means to help the community! I hope you will find my contributions and insights useful. I highly appreciate it if you (partly) read this. Keep in mind that these ideas are just my personal thoughts, so any constructive criticism or corrections are more than welcome.

NOTES: I am aware this thread is quite lengthy. Key points are highlighted in red if some of you just want to read the key messages I want to convey. If a specific (counter)strategy for a character is mentioned, I will highlight their names in blue.

The concept of Yomi

First off, I would like to let you know that there is an alternative term for ‘mindgames’ which the Japanese call yomi. It roughly means: ‘Knowing the mind of your opponent’ which is exactly what mindgames are about. Having good yomi therefore equals having a good mindgame. The most essential thing about yomi is that you have to pretend being in your opponent’s shoes. What would you do in a guessing situation if you were the opponent? This is when the yomi layers come into play.

Yomi Layers

As the term ‘yomi layer’ suggests, there are different levels at which yomi can operate. It basically comes down to this:

1. You are in a guessing situation and predict your opponent’s next move. This would be the first layer of yomi.
2. Your opponent knows that you predict that particular move, and plans to do something else instead. This refers to the second layer of yomi.
3. You know that your opponent will react to your initial prediction. So you respond correctly to the alternative plan of your opponent. This would be the third layer of yomi.

And so on… and so on. It’s up to you to figure at which layer your opponent is thinking. You can improve this by experience and improving your ability of estimating your opponent’s skill level quickly.
Now, the yomi layers might seem rather vague, so I will try to demonstrate this with a DOA-related example

Example of Yomi Layers (‘Pretending to be the opponent’)

Picture this: You are playing against a Hayabusa player. You are in a deep hitstun at Critical Stun Level 3. This means that your opponent has an opportunity to land a Critical Burst on you. You are not able to slow escape the whole setup either so you are forced into a guessing situation. What will you do?

1. A common natural response is that you predict the Critical Burst. Against a Hayabusa player this means you would have to hold his mid punch Critical Burst to get out of this horrible situation. In this example, you would think at the first layer of yomi.
2. Your opponent will most likely expect a mid punch hold as they are ‘reading your mind’. Your opponent would probably do the same thing as you, because they are putting themselves in your shoes. Your opponent is smart and is thinking at the second layer of yomi. They think of a way to counter the mid punch hold. This would obviously be a throw. Throws beat holds.
3. As a counter to THEIR counter, you are pretending to be your opponent as well. You know a Hi-Counter Izuna-Otoshi (Hayabusa’s most powerful throw) could be as painful as a Critical Burst combo. You know your opponent is hungry for Hi-Counter damage, but so are you. By thinking at the third layer of yomi, you predict their throw, slow escape and strike to counter your opponent with Hi-Counter damage. Remember, strikes beat throws!

The above shows why the Triangle System is a huge factor in DOA and why it is very important in deciding the outcome of a match. Thus, having a good mindgame is essential for becoming a decent player in DOA.

Try not to be predictable

You can have a good mindgame, but so can your opponent. That cancels each other out, doesn’t it? Not necessarily. Reading your opponent is not the only component of having a good mindgame. Not being predictable yourself can be as important as predicting your opponent. Being unpredictable is the most effective way of countering the mindgame of the opponent. I will demonstrate this with a few examples.

> Do something unexpected. These strategies work best against experienced players. Allow me to explain this. Advanced players have more knowledge of the game and also know when something is guaranteed or not. If you can get something guaranteed, their expectation will probably be that you’ll go for the guarantee. Novices have less knowledge of the game’s mechanics and therefore it’s harder to predict what they’re thinking.

A perfect example of doing something unexpected would be when you catch something mid-air with Gen Fu’s 5T. Experienced players will most likely expect the guaranteed 5K afterwards and most likely do nothing or block. If you know your opponent expects this, you can go for a throw to do the same thing all over again. For example, Gen Fu’s 236T launches opponents back in the air and you can catch them mid-air again and force them to guess again between: 1) A throw; 2) The guaranteed 5K or 3) A strike other than 5K (since they will most likely block standing attacks). Option 3 also avoids the risk of being counter-hit as you have advantageous frames. Why doesn’t this work against novice players, then? Novices probably don’t know the guaranteed options and will most likely try to counter-hit you. Option 2 or 3 would therefore be the most suitable when fighting a novice.

The same mindgame can be applied to any throw with guaranteed follow-ups, such as: Zack’s 6T into PP or Mila’s 6T into K.

> Hide your approaches. This is especially important when there’s some space between you and your opponent. If you run up to your opponent, the most likely scenarios are:

- They will expect a running strike, so they will block and if the opponent is smart enough they would attempt to land a throw punish if the blocked strike is unsafe.
- They will expect some sort of (running) throw or low-priority strike, this leads them to try to counter-hit you.
Option 1 will most likely be chosen by a defensive or passive opponent. Option 2 will most likely be chosen by an agressive opponent. If you know the playstyle of your opponent, you can counter the above scenarios by masking your approaches!

For example, you run up to your opponent but stop somewhere in between. If they choose option 1, which is also dependent on your own character, then everything’s alright as the opponent is blocking anyway. Also, you can use running strikes such as Momiji’s running H+K that give you plus-frames on block or you can use unblockable strikes such as Pai’s or Jann Lee’s running K, depending on your opponent’s reaction time to crouch.

If they choose option 2, they will probably whiff (= miss) their strike and you can opt for a whiff punish by retaliating with a strike of your own. Faking out your opponents works exceptionally well against strike-heavy characters, such as Rig.

Tips and Tricks

This section entails tips and tricks you could use to induce mindgames:

> Opt for two Critical Bursts in a row, in which the first one is a stun extender and the second one is the real Critical Burst. This strategy works better against advanced players provided you’re a good player yourself. Advanced players generally don’t expect ‘beginner tactics’ from other advanced players.

> Occasionally go for: Low strike, low strike, low throw. Try to get into your opponent’s head and make them think you’re going for another low strike when you’ve already done a few lows. When you think they’re going to low hold or block low, go for a low throw! Don’t use this setup too much though as it will give away a pattern and you’ll make yourself predictable.

> Do some strikes, then a Power Blow. If you have 50% or less of your health bar left, you get access to your Power Blow. The best way to land a raw Power Blow is by playing mindgames with your opponent. So a good setup would be that you do some strikes which get your opponent into hitstun, and after you predict a hold on their part, charge your Power Blow and release it on the recovery frames of their hold!

> Learn the resets of your character(s) in depth. When learning a character thoughtfully, you should consider all their tools and moves. Most DOA players I know, ignore reset throws or reset holds because of the little damage they do. However, reset throws like Kasumi’s 46T or Helena’s BT 5T are wonderful for creating mindgames. Some characters have parries – Gen Fu, Eliot, Lei Fang and all Virtua Fighters (Jacky, Sarah, Pai and Akira) – which pretty much serve the same function. Other characters have reset holds, like Marie Rose with her BT OH.

Have a good mindset

Having a good mindset is a final but by no means unimportant part of improving your mindgame in DOA. Studies in Psychology have shown that your self-fulfilling prophecy plays a huge role in predicting outcomes of particular situations. In simple words, this term implies that an expectation of an outcome will eventually lead to that outcome. If you expect to win, you win. If you expect to lose, you lose. It may seem obvious, but when your opponent has a lead of 2-0, don’t expect to lose no matter how challenging the situation! There’s always a chance for that wonderful comeback. A last piece of advice is that you should NEVER underestimate your opponent. Treat every opponent as if they were your toughest enemy.

Concluding thoughts

I hope this guide helped and if it didn’t help, I still appreciate for taking your time to read this. I was inspired by several DOA veterans to make this guide as they have shown me the importance of the mindgame in DOA. As I said in the introduction, feedback is always welcome!

Last edited:

NeverGiveUp

Hey im new to this site and the game in general but i am familiar with the yomi aspect of fighting games very well and here is what i would to add.

Fighting games takes years to get good at, not months but years. For the most part it comes down to how much knowledge you have on the game and how often you play against human opponents. Yomi in my opinion is by far the hardest part about fighting games, others may be naturally good at guessing correctly against others, but for people (including myself) who are not naturally good at it have to build it up and even though I've gotten better with my mindgames im still learning.

Anyway nice thread

KING JAIMY

Hey im new to this site and the game in general but i am familiar with the yomi aspect of fighting games very well and here is what i would to add.

Fighting games takes years to get good at, not months but years. For the most part it comes down to how much knowledge you have on the game and how often you play against human opponents. Yomi in my opinion is by far the hardest part about fighting games, others may be naturally good at guessing correctly against others, but for people (including myself) who are not naturally good at it have to build it up and even though I've gotten better with my mindgames im still learning.

Anyway nice thread
First of all, welcome to FSD and DOA!
Yeah you're right. Experience is the best way to improve your mindgame, which I also stated in the thread.

Xernuht

I really, really suck at this. Guess i should go online more =p

No. Doesn't work that way, unless it's a solid connection with someone you know.

I can't play this game online anymore, especially since I started playing offline, because yomi in online DOA pretty much doesn't exist.

At least on PSN. Maybe XBL players have it different.

Kohlrak

No. Doesn't work that way, unless it's a solid connection with someone you know.

I can't play this game online anymore, especially since I started playing offline, because yomi in online DOA pretty much doesn't exist.

At least on PSN. Maybe XBL players have it different.

Then i won't have anyone to play with =(

ChaolanLegacy

It's really hard to play mindgames properly,given the skill differences between each and every opponent you fight,their playstyle and habits,the character match-ups,and how the person uses his characters(in which case you may play a bit differently than you'd do in the given character match-up).For people that want to improve their mindgames in DOA,or any other fighting game,this is a good thread for that purpose.

tokiopewpew

Standard Donor
Nice read indeed!

I always go for the no-mixup-mixup first. This way I notice if my opponent is expecting mindgame from me too. If so, he wouldn't go for the same thing (e.g. same hold) over and over again.

Sometimes, when playing more experienced players, it takes like 2 straight rounds or more to figure out what kind of patterns or bad habits they have. This is a thing that throws off newcomers and beginners a lot. It is not unusal that one may lose a fight 3-0 or with 3-1 where the opponent has one or two perfects. As soon as the opponent is able to hide his approaches behind a wide range of different tactics and behaviors, it will need some time to adapt. However, this is still no reason to give up on trying at least again. That's why there is mostly more than one fight played in tournaments too.

Imo, having one fight is like having no fight, and everyone who is not going to agree to a rematch after a single fight with having either something like "Nah, you're too good" or "Nah, you're to bad and therefore boring" as reason does not have the right mind for a fighting game.

Hazard

Standard Donor
This was quite informative. Maybe I need to touch up on my mind games a little, since I'm used to the aggressive all-or-nothing styled play that I do in every game I play.

JETMICHAEL

Introduction

Hello all! As the thread title suggests, this is a topic concerning one of the most important aspects of DOA: The mindgame. Having a good mindgame means that you can read your opponent’s movements, and predict correctly what they’re going to do. Furthermore, having an excellent mindgame allows you to inflict Hi-Counter damage on your opponent consistently, which is devastating when combined with a powerful throw, hold or combo. It could be even argued that a player with a superb mindgame who doesn’t have much knowledge on combos, could win easily from an opponent with amazing combos but who has a poor mindgame.

That being said, the main goal of this thread is helping out people who think they can get better by improving their mindgame. Thus, I will share my personal experience and knowledge as a means to help the community! I hope you will find my contributions and insights useful. I highly appreciate it if you (partly) read this. Keep in mind that these ideas are just my personal thoughts, so any constructive criticism or corrections are more than welcome.

NOTES: I am aware this thread is quite lengthy. Key points are highlighted in red if some of you just want to read the key messages I want to convey. If a specific (counter)strategy for a character is mentioned, I will highlight their names in blue.

The concept of Yomi

First off, I would like to let you know that there is an alternative term for ‘mindgames’ which the Japanese call yomi. It roughly means: ‘Knowing the mind of your opponent’ which is exactly what mindgames are about. Having good yomi therefore equals having a good mindgame. The most essential thing about yomi is that you have to pretend being in your opponent’s shoes. What would you do in a guessing situation if you were the opponent? This is when the yomi layers come into play.

Yomi Layers

As the term ‘yomi layer’ suggests, there are different levels at which yomi can operate. It basically comes down to this:

1. You are in a guessing situation and predict your opponent’s next move. This would be the first layer of yomi.
2. Your opponent knows that you predict that particular move, and plans to do something else instead. This refers to the second layer of yomi.
3. You know that your opponent will react to your initial prediction. So you respond correctly to the alternative plan of your opponent. This would be the third layer of yomi.

And so on… and so on. It’s up to you to figure at which layer your opponent is thinking. You can improve this by experience and improving your ability of estimating your opponent’s skill level quickly.
Now, the yomi layers might seem rather vague, so I will try to demonstrate this with a DOA-related example

Picture this: You are playing against a Hayabusa player. You are in a deep hitstun at Critical Stun Level 3. This means that your opponent has an opportunity to land a Critical Burst on you. You are not able to slow escape the whole setup either so you are forced into a guessing situation. What will you do?

1. A common natural response is that you predict the Critical Burst. Against a Hayabusa player this means you would have to hold his mid punch Critical Burst to get out of this horrible situation. In this example, you would think at the first layer of yomi.
2. Your opponent will most likely expect a mid punch hold as they are ‘reading your mind’. Your opponent would probably do the same thing as you, because they are putting themselves in your shoes. Your opponent is smart and is thinking at the second layer of yomi. They think of a way to counter the mid punch hold. This would obviously be a throw. Throws beat holds.
3. As a counter to THEIR counter, you are pretending to be your opponent as well. You know a Hi-Counter Izuna-Otoshi (Hayabusa’s most powerful throw) could be as painful as a Critical Burst combo. You know your opponent is hungry for Hi-Counter damage, but so are you. By thinking at the third layer of yomi, you predict their throw, slow escape and strike to counter your opponent with Hi-Counter damage. Remember, strikes beat throws!

The above shows why the Triangle System is a huge factor in DOA and why it is very important in deciding the outcome of a match. Thus, having a good mindgame is essential for becoming a decent player in DOA.

You can have a good mindgame, but so can your opponent. That cancels each other out, doesn’t it? Not necessarily. Reading your opponent is not the only component of having a good mindgame. Not being predictable yourself can be as important as predicting your opponent. Being unpredictable is the most effective way of countering the mindgame of the opponent. I will demonstrate this with a few examples.

> Do something unexpected. These strategies work best against experienced players. Allow me to explain this. Advanced players have more knowledge of the game and also know when something is guaranteed or not. If you can get something guaranteed, their expectation will probably be that you’ll go for the guarantee. Novices have less knowledge of the game’s mechanics and therefore it’s harder to predict what they’re thinking.

A perfect example of doing something unexpected would be when you catch something mid-air with Gen Fu’s 5T. Experienced players will most likely expect the guaranteed 5K afterwards and most likely do nothing or block. If you know your opponent expects this, you can go for a throw to do the same thing all over again. For example, Gen Fu’s 236T launches opponents back in the air and you can catch them mid-air again and force them to guess again between: 1) A throw; 2) The guaranteed 5K or 3) A strike other than 5K (since they will most likely block standing attacks). Option 3 also avoids the risk of being counter-hit as you have advantageous frames. Why doesn’t this work against novice players, then? Novices probably don’t know the guaranteed options and will most likely try to counter-hit you. Option 2 or 3 would therefore be the most suitable when fighting a novice.

The same mindgame can be applied to any throw with guaranteed follow-ups, such as: Zack’s 6T into PP or Mila’s 6T into K.

> Hide your approaches. This is especially important when there’s some space between you and your opponent. If you run up to your opponent, the most likely scenarios are:

- They will expect a running strike, so they will block and if the opponent is smart enough they would attempt to land a throw punish if the blocked strike is unsafe.
- They will expect some sort of (running) throw or low-priority strike, this leads them to try to counter-hit you.
Option 1 will most likely be chosen by a defensive or passive opponent. Option 2 will most likely be chosen by an agressive opponent. If you know the playstyle of your opponent, you can counter the above scenarios by masking your approaches!

For example, you run up to your opponent but stop somewhere in between. If they choose option 1, which is also dependent on your own character, then everything’s alright as the opponent is blocking anyway. Also, you can use running strikes such as Momiji’s running H+K that give you plus-frames on block or you can use unblockable strikes such as Pai’s or Jann Lee’s running K, depending on your opponent’s reaction time to crouch.

If they choose option 2, they will probably whiff (= miss) their strike and you can opt for a whiff punish by retaliating with a strike of your own. Faking out your opponents works exceptionally well against strike-heavy characters, such as Rig.

Tips and Tricks

> Opt for two Critical Bursts in a row, in which the first one is a stun extender and the second one is the real Critical Burst. This strategy works better against advanced players provided you’re a good player yourself. Advanced players generally don’t expect ‘beginner tactics’ from other advanced players.

> Occasionally go for: Low strike, low strike, low throw. Try to get into your opponent’s head and make them think you’re going for another low strike when you’ve already done a few lows. When you think they’re going to low hold or block low, go for a low throw! Don’t use this setup too much though as it will give away a pattern and you’ll make yourself predictable.

> Do some strikes, then a Power Blow. If you have 50% or less of your health bar left, you get access to your Power Blow. The best way to land a raw Power Blow is by playing mindgames with your opponent. So a good setup would be that you do some strikes which get your opponent into hitstun, and after you predict a hold on their part, charge your Power Blow and release it on the recovery frames of their hold!

> Learn the resets of your character(s) in depth. When learning a character thoughtfully, you should consider all their tools and moves. Most DOA players I know, ignore reset throws or reset holds because of the little damage they do. However, reset throws like Kasumi’s 46T or Helena’s BT 5T are wonderful for creating mindgames. Some characters have parries – Gen Fu, Eliot, Lei Fang and all Virtua Fighters (Jacky, Sarah, Pai and Akira) – which pretty much serve the same function. Other characters have reset holds, like Marie Rose with her BT OH.

Have a good mindset

Having a good mindset is a final but by no means unimportant part of improving your mindgame in DOA. Studies in Psychology have shown that your self-fulfilling prophecy plays a huge role in predicting outcomes of particular situations. In simple words, this term implies that an expectation of an outcome will eventually lead to that outcome. If you expect to win, you win. If you expect to lose, you lose. It may seem obvious, but when your opponent has a lead of 2-0, don’t expect to lose no matter how challenging the situation! There’s always a chance for that wonderful comeback. A last piece of advice is that you should NEVER underestimate your opponent. Treat every opponent as if they were your toughest enemy.

Concluding thoughts

I hope this guide helped and if it didn’t help, I still appreciate for taking your time to read this. I was inspired by several DOA veterans to make this guide as they have shown me the importance of the mindgame in DOA. As I said in the introduction, feedback is always welcome!
AMITUOFO & XIE~XIE~NI!!! ;) :p <3 __/l\__

JETMICHAEL

Introduction

The concept of Yomi

Yomi Layers

Tips and Tricks

Have a good mindset

Concluding thoughts

XIE~XIE~NI SOOOOO VERY MUCH, for taking the Time & Energy to comprise this excerpt of EXTREMELY Helpful Hints, Tricks, & Tactics! YOMI is something that I practice Extensively in My "Real~Life" w/ Martial~Arts, as well as w/ My Empathic abilities, & IT MOST DEFINITELY HELPS in ALL situations, in both LIFE & GAME!!! I GRRREATLY APPRECIATE IT & YOU! AMITUOFO MY GRRREAT NEW FRIEND!!! ;) :p <3 __/l\__

Last edited:

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
Another good bit strategy I want to add to this alongside what @KING JAIMY mentioned about resets; is that it's actually very important to know which strike will give harder knockdowns in the Critical Stun Threshold.

When you use the exact same strike twice in Threshold, it'll either launch or knock the opponent down. This can create opportunities to initiate some okizeme with a strike that knocks the opponent on the ground.

Example: Momiji's CH 6P > 6P

The above will leave me at +26 advantage if you manage to tech up. If you don't, then I can force you up and still be at advantage. What's great about situations like these is that it'll add another layer of strategy to the attacker's play and forces another situation the defender may not be prepared for (most will expect launch, Critical Burst, or throw).

This sort of thing can add a bit of confusion since the damage is so little. But it'll allow you to keep up momentum and can make someone else's yomi ability a bit rocky.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD