How to play Brad Wong.

IMO if you ever played soul calibur i think brad wong should be played as siegfried,who also had alot of stances and stance transitions...siegfried,like brad was also slow as hell and you had to use your stances and stance transitions to trick up your opponent and constantly keep them guessing on what you are going to do next. Siegfried was also a long range character who relied on the spacing game...i find myself doing this with brad wong as well.In conclusion, i think you should space and be a bit patient with brad wong...read your opponent and poke in while also keeping them guessing on what you are going to do next with your stances and what stance you are going to transition into.

Tones

Premium Donor
Brad relies a lot on crushes and side step (from laying, 6p 8/2). His stance has their uses.

DHO is good outside of close and mid distance. He can jab out of it but it's slower than his normal jab. It also allows him to have a set up to an OH. kk4 and 3k4 enter DHO

BT provides a unique run in pressure and his BT throw is still pretty useful (it's nerfed though and the stun game change in 5 also has an affect).

LFT/LHT, awesome for mid range due to the side step. Also good to enter the stances before the match starts.

Haven't quite figured out his HS stance but p and k are both fast and hard to read due to the animation. There is also no stun game they can play while you're in it (you just get knocked back if you're hit). The crush with 1k/p allows you to pseudo safely enter the stance.

Omegan Eckhart

I would like to know how you beat this obnoxious character. I block or duck his transitions into laying down stance, try to throw out my fastest mid attack which hits low BKO :6::P: (12 frames) and it glitches through his body. So next time I try to use my :2::P: and it gets beaten out. Now I have no low catch grab what am I meant to do against a Brad that spam's laying down crap?

I was hoping they would fix his glitchy laying down attacks but whenever he attacks from laying down it seems like his entire hurtbox still disappears for no reason.

I need some help with this cause it is REALLY frustrating watching him being blatantly immune to attacks when he is meant to be at a disadvantage.

I'm glad he is a better character than he was but this stuff is just stupid.

Tones

Premium Donor
The moves that transition him into LHT (laying head towards) crushes mid during the end of it. It has always been like that.

1k should hit. Apart from that just low grab, those moves are unsafe (other than while running p/236p if it hits during the last active frames).

I think I get what you're saying though. You do your attack and then you teleport through to the other side while performing the attack facing the wrong way.

Omegan Eckhart

My attacks going through him is like how mid's would miss Helena when she BKO ducked in DOA4, even if you landed on her head. Though she can't duck those moves any more. I just hate watching an attack look like it should hit him and just miss, even though you can see your fist going into his body.

Helena's 1K will come out too slow, by that time he will have attacked from laying down stance and have launched me.

Tulkas

Premium Donor
IMO if you ever played soul calibur i think brad wong should be played as siegfried,who also had alot of stances and stance transitions...siegfried,like brad was also slow as hell and you had to use your stances and stance transitions to trick up your opponent and constantly keep them guessing on what you are going to do next. Siegfried was also a long range character who relied on the spacing game...i find myself doing this with brad wong as well.In conclusion, i think you should space and be a bit patient with brad wong...read your opponent and poke in while also keeping them guessing on what you are going to do next with your stances and what stance you are going to transition into.

I agree, I've played a lot with Sigfried in old Soulcaliburs and playing with Brad many times feels really similar...

ScattereDreams

Same, I can agree Brad Wong feels most like Sig. But how Sigfried can freely transition from one stance into another and scare his opponent with quick lows and mids. Brad can't do that. From 4K stance Brad can transition into ground stance by using 6F+K2, or 2k from 4K stance. but from certain situations those moves are too obvious because of the speed. Sigfried can put you in a 50/50 situation all the time. I'll admit, after one 1k and 1p into hand stand, it can scare the opponent, but don't know if it puts them into a real 50/50.

I can't say how to play Brad Wong, or how he should be played. He's one of those characters i'm off and on with. He's not Bass where if you get one knock down ground splat, you get this insane vortex wake up game that can take 40% of your life. You have to sit down, experiment, and know purpose of each move he has, learn and master his transitions, and you have to be good at adapting to your opponent. Brad Wong is tournament worthy, but you have to be able to know and adapt to the attacks your opponent throws at you.Keep your opponent in those mix up's. Brad Wong is one of few characters who has solid options against wake up attacks.

DR Balrog

I as a brad player would not and try not rely on his stance transitions because his stances obviously don't allow him to block fast enough in specific situations. Now spacing I agree is HUGE for this character being that he gets run over by almost 60% of the cast if he gets too close with having a setup started. I have no knowledge whatsoever of this Siegfried character so I can't speak on that but I can say he should be played (for a lack of a better word) turtley. always waiting for his opening to start things up. and the worst thing to do is mess up a set up on a execution standpoint. You DO NOT want to be in range of something as simple as Jann Lee's 6P while you're 4K because this is only going to lead into you hitting the panic button (3H) thinking that it's going to save you and actually make you worse off than you were. Also a cool, calm, creative mind is always nice to have in a fighting game but more so when playing brad because if you do mess up the setup or a combo you can say "ok that's screwed up how do fix this/get out here??" you should always be thinking about how you're going to keep yourself safe without trying to DH out every blockstring.

Tulkas

Premium Donor
What value is there, in transitioning into Brad's DOK stance?
Brad has a good damaging catch throw from DKO. Some times when enemy is stunned I use pp8 p+h to set this throw up, which delivers similar damage like ending stun game with a juggle. Also has his up low kick to throw (2k:p+h) with great range which also can work in same set up.

Tones

Premium Donor
I like going 4k p+f when I'm at a bit of distance. Catch them when they dash in and attack. Same with DHO 2k

HiguraShiki

Any tips on a Brad Wong vs Kokoro matchup? I can't seem to punish her at all. Dono if it's just a bad matchup or me.

Master Ari

It definitely is a bad matchup for Brad Wong but manageable if you know the tricks.
First of all you should make a lot of use of Brad's LHT stance. For an example: it can be REALLY useful right before Kokoro comes in with her 66P, but your timing must be correct.
If it is perfect Brad will dodge it and this gives you a free K from LHT (you'll even get a counter hit sometimes wich means a free LHT: K8, KKK, F+P combo).
Also you can always gamble and try to interrupt her with 4PP; that works fantastic in a situation where she spams you with 6PPP or 9P etc.
Her speed really is a problem though... so you should always be patient with her.
overall it's not as hard anymore as it was in DOA4

HiguraShiki

I see. Her speed really is a problem. It just seems that on block, I have almost no solid answers against her mids.
I guess that's when spacing should come into play the most.

synce

A lot of people must've taken this advice because literally every Brad I see is fishing for that 2h+k cb 90% of the time. Occassionally there's a 4pp too lol

HiguraShiki

The way I actually play Brad Wong revolves around his BT 2P+K, K8 airgrab setup. I guess I just find it easier land than some of his other moves.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD