I Am The Shadow... The True Self... [General Discussion]

Chapstick

Come on, Sweetness..... that move maybe annoying but its actually reasonably Balanced.

For one.... unlike all the other command side steps, Marie Rose's one doesn't evade instantly. She can be Smacked out of it even with linear Strikes.

I'd rather it stays the way it is..... The Move maybe a pain to deal with but Conversely that also makes it extremely Satisfying to punish someone who misuses it. Just like Helena's Bokuho.
It needs to be able to be hit by tracking moves during all frames of the animation. They fixed Christie's jakeiho so I think it's clear special sidesteps aren't supposed to be able to dodge tracking moves.

Minuet even dodges Mai's 360° 214P lol

Lulu

It needs to be able to be hit by tracking moves during all frames of the animation. They fixed Christie's jakeiho so I think it's clear special sidesteps aren't supposed to be able to dodge tracking moves.

Minuet even dodges Mai's 360° 214P lol

LoL.... I haven't play all the characters but so far from the ones I have played.... All of them have atleast one tracking move that will Catch that Sidestep (Its usually some sort of High Spinning Kick).

I sometimes just Throw that move out randomly as Reminder to Marie Rose to not get too comfortable.

With that Said..... I wish there was some way to punish that side step even Harder in some way. Other than that.... its a cool.

Lulu

I don't think she has Any......

Unless if my Understanding of what a Frametrap is is wrong.

CrudeRaven

Come on, Sweetness..... that move maybe annoying but its actually reasonably Balanced.

For one.... unlike all the other command side steps, Marie Rose's one doesn't evade instantly. She can be Smacked out of it even with linear Strikes.

I'd rather it stays the way it is..... The Move maybe a pain to deal with but Conversely that also makes it extremely Satisfying to punish someone who misuses it. Just like Helena's Bokuho.
Helena's Bokuho doesn't put you basically behind their back and unlike rose, Helena is as safe as a mesh condom. I cant punish that girl, even with bayman.

Lulu

Helena's Bokuho doesn't put you basically behind their back and unlike rose, Helena is as safe as a mesh condom. I cant punish that girl, even with bayman.

LoL..... I can.... but only with Jacky and Sarah. Unlike the DoA Roster, The VF Characters aren't as dependent on Strings and are extremely viable to play Single Poke Style.... this is a big plus for Akira. So even if Marie Does successfully evade me I can recover and in some cases I can free Cancel and Attack again..... effectively making my offense Retrack to Marie's new position.... it doesn't work if she does the Booty Thrust but atleast she doesn't get the OH as easily like she normally would.

Look I'm not saying Her Gimmick is as punishable as Helena's but its not so over Powered that it warrants a "Fix".

Characters with Gimmicks can often seem overpowered because they need to be approached in a different way then most people are used to. Since I play Grapplers, primarily, I normally guard and Punish.... it works against most of the cast...... but when I have go up against Akira and his Sub 20 Frame Guard Breaks then it seems overpowered...... when really my Problem was my refusal to try to Adapt (I now Duck Frequently when I go against Akira)...

Back To Marie Rose, Grappler's don't really grumble about Marie's Side Step because our Passive playstyle renders it useless..... to a Degree. More often than not I would be holding the guard button and Marie would Side Step Thin Air... looking absolutely ridiculous in the process, from there I just throw out a Crouching Move to punish her.

Its the Same story with Helena and Leifang.... they are basically Characters you have to wait for them to do their Gimmick then you can punish them for it..... its when people try to pressure them like they would other characters that causes all the complaints to start coming out.

CrudeRaven

LoL..... I can.... but only with Jacky and Sarah. Unlike the DoA Roster, The VF Characters aren't as dependent on Strings and are extremely viable to play Single Poke Style.... this is a big plus for Akira. So even if Marie Does successfully evade me I can recover and in some cases I can free Cancel and Attack again..... effectively making my offense Retrack to Marie's new position.... it doesn't work if she does the Booty Thrust but atleast she doesn't get the OH as easily like she normally would.

Look I'm not saying Her Gimmick is as punishable as Helena's but its not so over Powered that it warrants a "Fix".

Characters with Gimmicks can often seem overpowered because they need to be approached in a different way then most people are used to. Since I play Grapplers, primarily, I normally guard and Punish.... it works against most of the cast...... but when I have go up against Akira and his Sub 20 Frame Guard Breaks then it seems overpowered...... when really my Problem was my refusal to try to Adapt (I now Duck Frequently when I go against Akira)...

Back To Marie Rose, Grappler's don't really grumble about Marie's Side Step because our Passive playstyle renders it useless..... to a Degree. More often than not I would be holding the guard button and Marie would Side Step Thin Air... looking absolutely ridiculous in the process, from there I just throw out a Crouching Move to punish her.

Its the Same story with Helena and Leifang.... they are basically Characters you have to wait for them to do their Gimmick then you can punish them for it..... its when people try to pressure them like they would other characters that causes all the complaints to start coming out.
Im not saying it needs a fix. I just cant find out how to adapt to it. Im pretty slow to change my playstyle mid fight so if someone ducks my throw i can become more aggressive but i cant duck them myself. (Making it an OH doesn't help. Like Jan lees gunner i feel trapped)
I feel like I caused us to go off topic. Rose doesn't need a nerf but damn if she isn't annoying to deal with.

Lulu

I also Struggled changing my playstyle with Tina..... So I changed characters instead. :) Theres no better teaching than trying to play a different character the same way you would play your main and getting PUNISHED HARD for it. But thats just how I learned, hopefully your experience will be less Painfully.

Try Playing Marie Rose yourself.... an inside look into how the Side Step works may help you Defeated.

CrudeRaven

I also Struggled changing my playstyle with Tina..... So I changed characters instead. :) Theres no better teaching than trying to play a different character the same way you would play your main and getting PUNISHED HARD for it. But thats just how I learned, hopefully your experience will be less Painfully.

Try Playing Marie Rose yourself.... an inside look into how the Side Step works may help you Defeated.
Oh trust me I know a lot about changing characters. Ha ive had about 16 different attempts to main. Ill try rose though. Itll be weird haha.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
Oh trust me I know a lot about changing characters. Ha ive had about 16 different attempts to main. Ill try rose though. Itll be weird haha.
I know this isn't the Naotora thread but you try her? I love her, she's simple to use like Kasumi and she forces you to focus on the three most important imo game mechanics: Mixing up/unpredictability, punishment and unlike Kasumi she emphasizes spacing because of her range and bulk attacks. Phase I like since she's like a heavier Kasumi, more powerful and has beautiful combos but less versatile and as one of the apparently worst characters in the game(Naotora falls in this category) it's so rewarding and episode winning with her... and that low pitch voice after 8K and 6H+K2K. ♡.♡

Lulu

If you wana see weird.... try This Jelly Baby :alpha152:

At first it feels like playing with One Armed tied behind your back. :eek:

CrudeRaven

If you wana see weird.... try This Jelly Baby :alpha152:

At first it feels like playing with One Armed tied behind your back. :eek:
I tried but it was in tag. Did NOT end well. Felt like I had both arms tied. Right now I'm trying this guy :leon: and boy is it weird.

Lulu

I tried but it was in tag. Did NOT end well. Felt like I had both arms tied. Right now I'm trying this guy :leon: and boy is it weird.

LoL.... as a general rule I avoid Tag mode.... too dangerous.

I tried Leon.... he's really unsatisfying to play against the AI so I rarely use him. He's best suited for human opponents, they are just easier to exploit. :)

CrudeRaven

LoL.... as a general rule I avoid Tag mode.... too dangerous.

I tried Leon.... he's really unsatisfying to play against the AI so I rarely use him. He's best suited for human opponents, they are just easier to exploit. :)
Ive noticed. However he (like many others) lack a certain flow i want.
The only character that came close to being perfect was Phase 4 but i cant play her in neutral and the lag online makes it damn near impossible to pull off the crazy stuff I'd practice. :(

Lulu

When it comes to these guys: :akira:, :eliot:, :jacky:, :nyotengu:, :cyborg:, :hayabusa: & :phase4:. Then you gotta decide wether you want to play them online or Offline Exclusively.... its not impossible to do both but it comes with really unpleasant side effects and thats just something I don't want to deal with. Characters that also depend on Punishing unsafe moves like :bass: also suffer from online play.

The same argument could also be made for Character's with Breakable combo throws but its not as detrimental so I didn't mention them.

CrudeRaven

When it comes to these guys: :akira:, :eliot:, :jacky:, :nyotengu:, :cyborg:, :hayabusa: & :phase4:. Then you gotta decide wether you want to play them online or Offline Exclusively.... its not impossible to do both but it comes with really unpleasant side effects and thats just something I don't want to deal with. Characters that also depend on Punishing unsafe moves like :bass: also suffer from online play.

The same argument could also be made for Character's with Breakable combo throws but its not as detrimental so I didn't mention them.
I only play online because there's no one near me who plays DOA. The only person i have good combos for (Phase 4) is gimped to a sadistic degree online. Especially with this man running around everywhere :hayate:

Lulu

LoL.... I play against my friends..... but since they refuse to complete the tutorial (or listen to me when I try to explain to them what Holds are).... I wind up winning literally 100% of the time..... suffice it to say that Naturally My friends don't wana play against me anymore...... my cousin is still eager to play DoA but I don't see him often and he's still in the learning phase..... of how to use a Controller :eek:

My only option left when I want a Challenge is the AI.... which cheats like a Motherfucker on Level 8 (Legend)

I tried going online twice..... I don't know if its because of my Choice of Router, Where I live, or setting the wrong Region on my XBL Account (its probably that last one) but I experience 4 seconds of Lag.... it doesn't even feel like I'm playing DoA anymore.... it felt like I was playing Chess except it was never my turn to move. So yeah.... playing online is not an option for me. I need to integrate myself into an existing offline scene or Create an Offline Scene around myself. Getting my friends excited about DoA is so hard..... even the Fan Service doesn't make'em look twice :(.

I tried using the Lag Simulation Feature.... its not as bad as you'd think. the only thing it negatively affected was my FSK Timing with Jacky..... However at 3 Bars I do start to struggle since I can't punish anything anymore.

CrudeRaven

LoL.... I play against my friends..... but since they refuse to complete the tutorial (or listen to me when I try to explain to them what Holds are).... I wind up winning literally 100% of the time..... suffice it to say that Naturally My friends don't wana play against me anymore...... my cousin is still eager to play DoA but I don't see him often and he's still in the learning phase..... of how to use a Controller :eek:

My only option left when I want a Challenge is the AI.... which cheats like a Motherfucker on Level 8 (Legend)

I tried going online twice..... I don't know if its because of my Choice of Router, Where I live, or setting the wrong Region on my XBL Account (its probably that last one) but I experience 4 seconds of Lag.... it doesn't even feel like I'm playing DoA anymore.... it felt like I was playing Chess except it was never my turn to move. So yeah.... playing online is not an option for me. I need to integrate myself into an existing offline scene or Create an Offline Scene around myself. Getting my friends excited about DoA is so hard..... even the Fan Service doesn't make'em look twice :(.

I tried using the Lag Simulation Feature.... its not as bad as you'd think. the only thing it negatively affected was my FSK Timing with Jacky..... However at 3 Bars I do start to struggle since I can't punish anything anymore.
I honestly just don't want my friends to play this because 1) They would probably just say no and give up
2) if they say yes then I'd babysit them through it and they ruin it for me 3) This is sort of my personal hobby. I enjoy the friends I make on her and the progress I make on here however i want it to remain private. Its sort of "My private paradise". A sort of "solitude" type of situation i guess even though the game is very demanding.

As a side note:
I may not be great at DOA but i don't have to be to enjoy the game. At times I'll get pissed at losing but Ill still enjoy it. (Id enjoy it more if i had a main but we aren't going on about that now) Imo this game is underrated.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD