Characters "....I cannot let you pass!" Naotora Ii for beginners Guide|LR Ver.

Sure! FTs are attacks that hit your opponent when they're on the ground, for instance 2K and 2P are both FTs. A neat way to see if it's a light or hard FT is to go to arcade and KO, your opponent. If you hit them with a FT attack that is light, it'll simply kick them around and you'll have to do the move twice in succession to get them back up. If it's a heavy FT, the opponent will grab their stomach or arch their back awkwardly, this means you'll only have to use that attack once to get them up. The 4H+K is a good example of a heavy one.

If you meant unholdables, these are attacks that can not be held at all if they tech up, since holds require a frame or more to initiate. They can only guard these attacks since it takes 0i to guard. To find these, go to training mode and set your opponent to tech up or tech roll and their reaction is to hold the hit level of the attack you want to test. If they can hold it, it is not unholdable. I hope this helps :)
Thanks so much, and isn't there a way to find them using hidden Frame Advantages? Like stuff that says it's 0 frames, but it isn't. Isn't there a way to find the frame advantage, let's say if you do a combo that hits them away from you like Leifang: 66K 9KK 46P?

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
Thanks so much, and isn't there a way to find them using hidden Frame Advantages? Like stuff that says it's 0 frames, but it isn't. Isn't there a way to find the frame advantage, let's say if you do a combo that hits them away from you like Leifang: 66K 9KK 46P?
Uh....idk about that. I'm just aware that some attacks are unholdable since they come out faster than the opponent's hold, which is mainly because tech rolls and tech ups take a brief moment, and even longer if you try to immediately hold afterwards. And yeah, the frames in the move information thing should tell you how much advantage you get from the blast back.

Giannola

My usual method for finding the "hidden" advantage that (I think) you mean is to set the opponent to react with a hold and you hold and it will show your true advantage. An example I can think of would be as mila do ch 3p 3p 3pp 2p 2t. This combo if the opponent tech's it technically won't say you have advantage, but if you set the opponent to hold after tech and you hold as well you'll see your hold come out first and it will show your true advantage.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
Oh, I just saw that you're adding match ups too! This guide is amazing! And here I thought it couldn't be more perfect xD
Thank you Niko, it isn't perfect but I'm trying my best to touch it up from time to time. This next section will be tedious, but I'm finding a lot of neat stuff as I play around with other characters. :-D

EDIT: Oh by the way, if anyone would like to contribute any of their insight on the MUs feel free! I'll gladly credit you for your help if you wish. :)

Last edited:

KING JAIMY

I'll try to give you my insight of Naotora's matchups versus Momiji, Rig, Jann Lee and Jacky, Honoka and Marie later today.

EDIT: I spotted a mistake in the matchup section. Rig's fastest mid kick is 12i and not 13i. His 12i mid kick is 8K. Just thought I'd point it out.

Last edited:

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
I'll try to give you my insight of Naotora's matchups versus Momiji, Rig, Jann Lee and Jacky, Honoka and Marie later today.

EDIT: I spotted a mistake in the matchup section. Rig's fastest mid kick is 12i and not 13i. His 12i mid kick is 8K. Just thought I'd point it out.
Thank you, that'd be much appreciated! I know some things that can be a disadvantage to Naotora, but actually having insight from someone who uses said characters can help make it even more fleshed out. I'll await your insight whenever you post it. :) And thank you for pointing out that mistake, I had a feeling I did something wrong in Rig's part, but I forgot to come back and double check XD

KING JAIMY

So here's my personal opinion on Naotora's matchups versus Rig. I might do the others I listed tomorrow or another day. I'll go by your format in which 1-3 equals Naotora's disfavor, 2-2 an even matchup and 3-1 Naotora's favor. I'll also state my opinion matchup difficulty, which ranges from: Very easy - Easy - Medium - Hard - Very hard.

:naotora: vs. :rig:

Matchup rating: 2-2
Matchup difficulty: MEDIUM

Explanation: Naotora and Rig have a very similar playstyle. They both rely on high strikes in both the neutral game and the stun game to presure their opponents. Next to that, they are both very kick-oriented and have a limited amount of punches. However, the punches they have are actually really good. Both have an amazing 4P, 3P and 8P which lead to very deep stuns. Both also have very high combo damage and great zoning tools. However, since their playstyle revolves mainly around high kicks, they are vulnerabe to high crushes. They also have a similar strike speed in general.

As for the differences, I'll start what Rig has what Naotora doesn't. Rig, in general, is much safer to play than Naotora. Most of his punch strings are safe and his high kicks, like the standard K, even leave him at +1 frame advantage. What's more, Rig has a plethora of kick and punch sit-down stuns which lead to guaranteed setups. 7P is -5 on block and gives Rig a guaranteed 33K launcher! Naotora doesn't really have a lot of guaranteed set-ups compared to Rig. Rig also has two stances which are in general way better than Naotora's Ii Clan stance. It has so many options including safe tracking moves, tricky lows, a safe mid punch, a chargeable mid kick and even a reset throw. Rig has a i12 mid kick which he can use as a counter poke against Naotora's pressure. Mix-ups wise Rig is really dynamic, compared to Naotora who has relatively predictable strings. Last but not least, Rig's environmental game is among the best in the game. There are few characters which have a better environmental game than Rig and Naotora is not one of those characters. For example, Rig has four possible ways to set up a guaranteed Critical Burst by just making good use of the environment.

Naotora however has the tools to deal with some of Rig's trickery. Her 6K is great at range and will beat most of other Rig's spacing tools aside from maybe Rig's 66P. Naotora's 9K and 236K close the gap quickly and have high priority, although they are somewhat risky to use. The important part however is that these two moves can deal very well with Rig at longer ranges. Naotora has a way better neutral kick at 11i which beats almost all of Rig's options. I also believe Naotora's pressure is better in general, especially at the wall. Rig can't sustain his pressure in Bending Stance because a simple 2H+K or 2P of Naotora can effectively shut down all of his options. Naotora's combo damage is probably slightly higher than Rig's as well. Furthermore, Naotora's holds and throws are way better than Rig's. Naotora's 66T does 99 damage on Hi-Counter which is an insane amount of damage, and this is excluding environmental interactions! Rig's throws on the other hand are sub-par and lacking in damage, with the exception of his 41236T which sets up for some nasty follow-ups. Naotora's holds are pretty average but they are way better than Rig's holds, which are probably one of the worst damaging in the game. Rig's low strikes also aren't as good as Naotora's low strikes.

Summary:

- Similarities: Kick-oriented, pressure-based, limited but decent punches, great zoning tools, vulnerable to crushes, similar strike speed in general.
- Rig's advantages: Safer, more and better guaranteed setups, better stances, better mix-ups, 12i mid kick as counterpoke, better environmental game.
- Naotora's advantages: Great spacing tools to deal with Rig at range, 11i high kick to start pressure, better at maintaining pressure than Rig, slightly higher combo damage, better throws, better holds, better low strikes.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
So here's my personal opinion on Naotora's matchups versus Rig. I might do the others I listed tomorrow or another day. I'll go by your format in which 1-3 equals Naotora's disfavor, 2-2 an even matchup and 3-1 Naotora's favor. I'll also state my opinion matchup difficulty, which ranges from: Very easy - Easy - Medium - Hard - Very hard.

:naotora: vs. :rig:

Matchup rating: 2-2
Matchup difficulty: MEDIUM

Explanation: Naotora and Rig have a very similar playstyle. They both rely on high strikes in both the neutral game and the stun game to presure their opponents. Next to that, they are both very kick-oriented and have a limited amount of punches. However, the punches they have are actually really good. Both have an amazing 4P, 3P and 8P which lead to very deep stuns. Both also have very high combo damage and great zoning tools. However, since their playstyle revolves mainly around high kicks, they are vulnerabe to high crushes. They also have a similar strike speed in general.

As for the differences, I'll start what Rig has what Naotora doesn't. Rig, in general, is much safer to play than Naotora. Most of his punch strings are safe and his high kicks, like the standard K, even leave him at +1 frame advantage. What's more, Rig has a plethora of kick and punch sit-down stuns which lead to guaranteed setups. 7P is -5 on block and gives Rig a guaranteed 33K launcher! Naotora doesn't really have a lot of guaranteed set-ups compared to Rig. Rig also has two stances which are in general way better than Naotora's Ii Clan stance. It has so many options including safe tracking moves, tricky lows, a safe mid punch, a chargeable mid kick and even a reset throw. Rig has a i12 mid kick which he can use as a counter poke against Naotora's pressure. Mix-ups wise Rig is really dynamic, compared to Naotora who has relatively predictable strings. Last but not least, Rig's environmental game is among the best in the game. There are few characters which have a better environmental game than Rig and Naotora is not one of those characters. For example, Rig has four possible ways to set up a guaranteed Critical Burst by just making good use of the environment.

Naotora however has the tools to deal with some of Rig's trickery. Her 6K is great at range and will beat most of other Rig's spacing tools aside from maybe Rig's 66P. Naotora's 9K and 236K close the gap quickly and have high priority, although they are somewhat risky to use. The important part however is that these two moves can deal very well with Rig at longer ranges. Naotora has a way better neutral kick at 11i which beats almost all of Rig's options. I also believe Naotora's pressure is better in general, especially at the wall. Rig can't sustain his pressure in Bending Stance because a simple 2H+K or 2P of Naotora can effectively shut down all of his options. Naotora's combo damage is probably slightly higher than Rig's as well. Furthermore, Naotora's holds and throws are way better than Rig's. Naotora's 66T does 99 damage on Hi-Counter which is an insane amount of damage, and this is excluding environmental interactions! Rig's throws on the other hand are sub-par and lacking in damage, with the exception of his 41236T which sets up for some nasty follow-ups. Naotora's holds are pretty average but they are way better than Rig's holds, which are probably one of the worst damaging in the game. Rig's low strikes also aren't as good as Naotora's low strikes.

Summary:

- Similarities: Kick-oriented, pressure-based, limited but decent punches, great zoning tools, vulnerable to crushes, similar strike speed in general.
- Rig's advantages: Safer, more and better guaranteed setups, better stances, better mix-ups, 12i mid kick as counterpoke, better environmental game.
- Naotora's advantages: Great spacing tools to deal with Rig at range, 11i high kick to start pressure, better at maintaining pressure than Rig, slightly higher combo damage, better throws, better holds, better low strikes.
This....is...great!! I love the match up difficulty tab you added, I'll definitely need to implement that, I like that so much. And the explanation and advantages are quite meaty too! :-D I can't unfortunately implement it tonight as I'm kinda tight on time to type, but I'll try to do so tomorrow when I have time. Thank you, oh and I need to also input Leifang's analysis then too, her MU is also very interesting.

KING JAIMY

This....is...great!! I love the match up difficulty tab you added, I'll definitely need to implement that, I like that so much. And the explanation and advantages are quite meaty too! :-D I can't unfortunately implement it tonight as I'm kinda tight on time to type, but I'll try to do so tomorrow when I have time. Thank you, oh and I need to also input Leifang's analysis then too, her MU is also very interesting.
Awesome! I hope we can get this section done by working together as a community. When it's done we can possibly add it to the Official Matchups Thread. And I think I know why you find Naotora's matchup versus Leifang interesting, haha.

EDIT: By the way, I added the matchup difficulty because it is in my opinion distinct from the matchup rating. A matchup can objectively be quite even, such as 2-2, but can still be perceived as a hard matchup due to, for example, the character being annoying to play against in general.

Last edited:

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
Awesome! I hope we can get this section done by working together as a community. When it's done we can possibly add it to the Official Matchups Thread. And I think I know why you find Naotora's matchup versus Leifang interesting, haha.
Lol yeah, it's probably one of her scariest in the game! XD But yeah, if anyone wants to give their insight for the match ups, I'd gladly appreciate it, especially if they main or use the character(s) generously enough to know their dirt on Naotora. Plus, the more help we get on this MU section, the faster it gets done too, and that's always a good thing.;)

KING JAIMY

Lol yeah, it's probably one of her scariest in the game! XD But yeah, if anyone wants to give their insight for the match ups, I'd gladly appreciate it, especially if they main or use the character(s) generously enough to know their dirt on Naotora. Plus, the more help we get on this MU section, the faster it gets done too, and that's always a good thing.;)
Perhaps we could tag a few people so that they could give their opinion on the Nao-Lei matchup?

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD