IGN's 12 Days of DOA5

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrDogg

Jeebus, that's crazy. I'd assume most of those are on the east coast (or in the midwest), which prices me out of those. I'm seriously lucky IGN decided to partner with Hot Import Nights to do tournaments at their shows, otherwise I wouldn't be able to go to any until next year. :(

NEC is Philly, Season's Beatings is Ohio, MLG is Dallas (I think) in November, and IPL would be Vegas.

Season's Beatings is the weekend after DOA5's release I believe.

No sign of DOA5 in the list of games. They have TTT2 and even P4A though. No one has even mentioned DOA5 in the SRK thread. Not off to a very good start...

http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.ph...-vs-the-world-mvc3-5v5-cleveland-ohio.164784/

DR2K

No sign of DOA5 in the list of games. They have TTT2 and even P4A though. No one has even mentioned DOA5 in the SRK thread. Not off to a very good start...

Well most people haven't gotten a chance to play it. I think it'll pick up steam with tournament players via word of mouth and hands on experience.

DrDogg

Well most people haven't gotten a chance to play it. I think it'll pick up steam with tournament players via word of mouth and hands on experience.

They included P4A... it's sad when DOA is below P4A. >_< Not to say P4A is bad, the developer is solid, but it's not out yet and it hasn't really been tested in the competitive scene.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor

Honestly, I don't see the good in having a tournament for a game that's less than 4 days old, for some places in the world that would be watching the stream would have had it for 2 days.

I mean sure, great for a presence but wouldn't be a great advertising of "tournament viability".

However, Gill Hustle is working with a group in Massachusetts for an event on the same weekend (SB and them accidentally booked the same weekend and each can't cancel).

They included P4A... it's sad when DOA is below P4A. >_< Not to say P4A is bad, the developer is solid, but it's not out yet and it hasn't really been tested in the competitive scene.

It's been out in Japanese arcades for 6 months now, at least it was out there when I visited in April.

DR2K

Gulity Gear and BB crowd are all over it. Since it's an ASW game + it's been in arcades for 8 months. DOA5 is the only completely new fighter. If the game is solid, people will play it and that's really all that matters to me.

DrDogg

Honestly, I don't see the good in having a tournament for a game that's less than 4 days old, for some places in the world that would be watching the stream would have had it for 2 days.

Doesn't matter if it's only been out a few days. With DOA it's not a matter of what looks good, we need to get the tournament scene off to a good start. Including it at SB would set a nice precedence.

It's been out in Japanese arcades for 6 months now, at least it was out there when I visited in April.

Wasn't the arcade release lackluster? Maybe I'm thinking of a different game. I haven't been keeping up with P4A since I'm not big into GG or BB.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
From what I saw it wasn't lack luster. They were packed whenever I saw.

I'm just in the middle of DOA at SB. (1) Gill's event has already promoted DOA5 for them so if it's at SB then you're splitting the East Coast community between the two events making both turnouts look pretty poor. (2) SB has history and can get the game shown.

If the game was out a week earlier I'd push SB. It's certainly a tough situation.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
Honestly DOA has such a strong casual following online that its basically an endless pool to recruit from. Experience has taught me that while not every online player can be converted, a lot of them actually can. I was asked constantly how one gets into the tournament scene, but it was always a question I had to respond with "play a different game".

If DOA 4 had actually been solid, I would instead have encouraged people to play it and we would have built an army of players for the game by now. I'm willing to play the long game and grow things out with DOA 5 regardless of initial turnout as long as its fun to play.

DrDogg

It's easy to ask about the competitive scene and even venture to this site... but when it comes to actually traveling, that's when casuals seem to lose interest.

daman077c

It's easy to ask about the competitive scene and even venture to this site... but when it comes to actually traveling, that's when casuals seem to lose interest.

I think part of that has to do with cost, more than anything. If I wasn't as into DOA as I am now, I probably wouldn't even be thinking of spending money to go to San Mateo like I am right now.

Awesmic

Standard Donor
Thread went from pretty ecstatic to downright depressing in less than an hour. No matter... my frown's staying upside down!

Even though DrDogg specifically listed that as a "maybe", I'm looking forward to the Christie character breakdown anyway. Should be a great motivator for me to learn how to use the punch, kick and hold button in less than 9 months.

DrDogg

I think part of that has to do with cost, more than anything. If I wasn't as into DOA as I am now, I probably wouldn't even be thinking of spending money to go to San Mateo like I am right now.

And that's the difference between a casual fan and the competitive players on this site. We're willing to spend the money to travel to events. They don't really see the point, or don't think it's worth it.

Even though DrDogg specifically listed that as a "maybe", I'm looking forward to the Christie character breakdown anyway. Should be a great motivator for me to learn how to use the punch, kick and hold button in less than 9 months.

Video footage of Christie is a maybe. The written breakdown and everything else on the schedule is confirmed.

grap3fruitman

Standard Donor
I'm guilty of this myself but it's also hard to justify traveling for DOA since the scene is so small. If I at least had some regular local stuff going then I'd be set... =\

That's part of why I kind of want to pick up another game as well, one I could justify traveling for, because then I'd be able to play DOA on the side too.

PhoenixVFIRE

All of the people that travel to EVO would like to speak to you. ;)
While that may be true, no amount of people at a tournament compare to the rest of the player base, unless the playerbase is made up of only the tournament players. I'm willing to bet that most players do not travel for a video game no matter how deep their love is for a game, unless said tournament is across the street from them. Not to mention, with the state of things lately, not many people have money to travel.

DrDogg

.............Kasumi breakdown.:(

The selection of characters was a tough one since there wasn't time to do all 19 in the new build. I looked at who wasn't in the E3 build, who would be played most often at the upcoming event, and who has changed the most since E3.

Kasumi was played a lot at E3 and will almost certainly be played a lot at the upcoming event. She also had a video exhibition at E3. She's already received a lot of love. That's why she didn't get a breakdown.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD