IGN's 12 Days of DOA5

Status
Not open for further replies.

BLACKSTAR

Wow, I'm reading this thread until about halfway through, and I'm just saying to myself 'WOW, there are some real Debbie Downers here', lol. I can understand concern from some of you guys about DOA's competitive scene, but some of you guys need to stop being so negative. Believe me, as a SC4/vanilla VF5 player new to competitive DOA, I know all about playing a dead fighter. I see comparisons with P4A, and it's absurd. It's hard enough to compare situations of similar games, but basing your expectation comparisons of DOA5 to a 2D fighter thats been out in arcades over half a year and has had tournaments/match vids to see high lvl play, as well as a balance patch to further fine tune the gameplay (not to mention the huge JRPG fanbase to pool from, as well as its own anime to promote it)......it makes absolutely NO SENSE.

Stop worrying about other games and see what advantages Tecmo, DOA series, and the DOA community already has. You have support from IPL and interest from MLG. You have a HUGE pool of casual players to convert. And best of all, you have EACH OTHER.

Don't see DOA @ FGC events? Guess what, they have a BYOC area. Make a subforum in SRK or even here and MAKE EFFORTS TO GO, as many of us as possible. We can't all travel, but I guarantee that there is an FGC event near wherever any of you are that you can make. Go to it. As long as there is at least two of you, and one of you has a console, DOA5 officially has a presence, which is literally infinitely better than nothing at all.

And if you really are set on seeing DOA5 competitively played, the best thing you can do is play it. Play it, play it, play it. Play online, play vs. Put match vids up on youtube. Make podcasts about the game. Invite people at your house to play it, bring it to a local gathering, or start a local tournament. There's all kinds of stuff to do, and if the game turns out to be competitively sound (which I'm sure is the BIG 'IF' and worry among competitive players for this game, but so far looks good), the scene can't do anything but grow.

SCV, KOFXIII, and VF5:FS started out with much much less than DOA 5 has going for it, and ended up as EVO events at least one time. Especially VF, which started from literally nothing until about a month or two before EVO. If these scenes can do it, why can't the DOA scene

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
Pretty much entirely what I intend to do... well, provided its actually fun haha.

I'm not worried about the tournament scene at this point. I just want the game good. If its good I am more than happy to build up the competitive scene the slow way.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
But also, that isn't to say I think Drdogg is being overly negative... he really isn't. What he is saying is just honesty. With the level of hype the game currently has it will be fairly difficult to get it to Evo 2013.

I think he just wants people to understand the realistic nature of the situation so they don't have their hearts broken if things go south. And that's fine... not everybody is willing to play the long game when there are other games to play and I totally understand that. Drdogg falls into that camp and I completely support what he is saying.

With me its a bit different, as I've said. I'm willing to play the long game and grow this thing out IF there is something worth growing. Personally I believe there is.

When I play DOA 4 I feel a lack of movement control, poor options and anger towards the game.

When I play DOA 5 and I feel a far greater sense of control, I have GOOD options, and legitimate fun has been had.

It seems to be hitting all the right chords with me.... if I have fun every single time I play the game, no way am I putting it down. It's that simple for a guy like me.

DrDogg

Let me first state that I will be the first one supporting a competitive DOA scene if we get a solid game. I've already done quite a bit to push that behind the scenes. However, I'm going to remain realistic because things aren't going to be easy... no matter how good the game is.

I see comparisons with P4A, and it's absurd.

I made it clear that I have not been following P4A. Not sure why you're harping on it so much... >_>

You have a HUGE pool of casual players to convert. And best of all, you have EACH OTHER.

Hi, you must be new here. We went through all of the stuff you suggested over the last 7 years. It didn't work. Things have changed since then, but please don't assume that you're suddenly dropping all of this new knowledge on us.

Those of us who are here and discussing the game will be supporting it in the best way possible assuming the final version is what we hope it will be.

SCV, KOFXIII, and VF5:FS started out with much much less than DOA 5 has going for it, and ended up as EVO events at least one time. Especially VF, which started from literally nothing until about a month or two before EVO. If these scenes can do it, why can't the DOA scene

Um... not sure how you think SC5 started with less than DOA5. Tons of people were hype about SC5 before it even released. If you ask most people outside of the DOA community about DOA5, they still scoff at it because they haven't bothered to investigate the changes.

In addition, SC5 had tournaments planned for it before it released. It was announced for Evo before it released. VF5 was only at Evo because Sega sponsored the tournament. We'll see if Evo includes it next year, that's the real test. Not to mention no one talked about VF5 being a bad game before it released. People are still very skeptical of DOA... even on this site.

I would like to see DOA5 have a healthy competitive scene, but hardly any majors have listed DOA5. Right now it looks like we'll only get the Big E majors, and that's mainly because of Hubbs and Sorwah. DOA5 has a huge uphill battle.

BLACKSTAR

"However, I'm going to remain realistic because things aren't going to be easy... no matter how good the game is."

that's great. Nobody told you not to be realistic. Nothing wrong with admitting there is an uphill battle(its the same for any non-capcom/tekken fg). But I think you are too stuck up on the 'negative attitude' of the already notoriously fickle FGC. Why give them so much clout? I only made my posts because I felt sense of predisposed defeatism in what i was reading, but everyone's opinion is different i guess

"I made it clear that I have not been following P4A. Not sure why you're harping on it so much... >_>"

To be blunt, comparing DOA5 to a game you know little of makes even less sense, tbh, but *shrug*

"Hi, you must be new here. We went through all of the stuff you suggested over the last 7 years. It didn't work. Things have changed since then, but please don't assume that you're suddenly dropping all of this new knowledge on us."

I'm lost to the part where I was giving out unheard-of information. When did I say it wasn't tried before, again? 'It didn't work', you say? What makes you think it won't work for DOA, when it worked for SC/KOF/SG/VF/MK/etc?

"Um... not sure how you think SC5 started with less than DOA5. Tons of people were hype about SC5 before it even released. If you ask most people outside of the DOA community about DOA5, they still scoff at it because they haven't bothered to investigate the changes....In addition, SC5 had tournaments planned for it before it released. It was announced for Evo before it released."

I'm preeeeeeety sure I've seen you on the 8wayrun boards, and if so, you of all people here should know how the whole SC4 fiasco turned out. You really think people went from SC4, to 'hey, let's put SCV @ MLG/EVO/FinalRound/Seasons Beatings/etc' because it was popular? C'mon, man. No, it took the publisher supporting their game and the community pushing it hardcore for over half a year to build up hype to where it was considered a possibility for it to make the events it did.

" VF5 was only at Evo because Sega sponsored the tournament. We'll see if Evo includes it next year, that's the real test. Not to mention no one talked about VF5 being a bad game before it released. "

If you think that VF made a splash only because SEGA threw some money at the Cannons, then I am facepalming so hard right now. As far as making it next year, every game that's not SF4, UMvC3, and probably KOF has that same problem

And I don't know why you are so hung up on stigma. Every game has its own stigma to fight against, Mahvel/SF4 being scrub-friendly, P4A being an 'anime fighter', VF5 being 'too cosmically technical' or whatever. DOA is not alone in having a stigma to fight.

TRI Mike

I have no idea what the "SC4 fiasco" was about because I barely played it but the problem with DOA is that DOA4 was truly bad for tournament-play and the franchise has had to endure it for 7 years because no other games were made between late 2005 and Sep 2012. Besides that, the entire series has always been looked down upon by that FGC everyone here seems to love so much. So the fight for DOA5 to be successful competitively will be hard but we're all willing to help it any way we can.

Just like you, I don't agree with being so negative about the game's success but at the same time, saying everything will be OK is wrong because even if the game ends up being good (which I'm pretty sure it will), we'll have to work hard to convince the Capcom kids to play it.

BLACKSTAR

Well, long story short, all I'm saying is DOA is not unique in most of its problems. DOA5's situation is actually very similar to many other games released in the past 10 months or so. While it definitely has an uphill battle to be accepted, the possibility is there.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
SC4 had legit gameplay issues and a community that cannibalizes itself every time a new game is released. Yea they are really hype pre-release and a bit post-release.... but eventually they turn bitter, start talking about bans, boycott their own game until a nonexistant patch gets released, etc....

DOA has a community which on the outside might look like its killing itself from the arguments going on here, but in reality basically everyone will go into super happy hype mode when the game launches proper. I'd say it has the opposite issue that the soul calibur community has... our hype wheel spins a bit backwards.

Every day that passes though, I am becoming more and more convinced that if there is something worth building we're going to have to build it ourselves for the most part. We've gotten some legit interest from other communities and thats great, but its becoming clear to me that there is some very illogical resistance in the FGC towards it which cannot be dispelled normally, even if the game is solid as a rock.

Blazeincarnated

I
SC4 had legit gameplay issues and a community that cannibalizes itself every time a new game is released. Yea they are really hype pre-release and a bit post-release.... but eventually they turn bitter, start talking about bans, boycott their own game until a nonexistant patch gets released, etc....

DOA has a community which on the outside might look like its killing itself from the arguments going on here, but in reality basically everyone will go into super happy hype mode when the game launches proper. I'd say it has the opposite issue that the soul calibur community has... our hype wheel spins a bit backwards.
Its like they look at the game and just be like: "This crap reminds me of DOA4" Instead of giving it a chance. In all honesty Itagaki ruined the series after 3... He got so focused on that 1 goal, and that was sex appeal..

UnD34D

And I don't know why you are so hung up on stigma. Every game has its own stigma to fight against, Mahvel/SF4 being scrub-friendly, P4A being an 'anime fighter', VF5 being 'too cosmically technical' or whatever. DOA is not alone in having a stigma to fight.

I'm particularly negative, but DOA's "stigma" isn't the same as any of those games. SFIV is considered scrub friendly for a street fighter game, sure, but still has enough complexities that its the biggest FG in the FGC, and the most widely played among even casual players world-wide, so while it may have that stigma, people still obviously love this game, and unless they make it another SF: Ex, I doubt people won't buy a SF game. Marvel came in on the coat tails of MvC2 and is just a unique enough, fun enough game, but I'll admit, its stigma is still somewhat of a problem. P4A is an anime fighter, but anime fighters have a community all their own, as well as followers of the RPG, unless it was a god awful game, it was going to be successful because of its stigma. VF is a long standing tournament worthy game that has long time followers, and while people joke about its low turn outs, its obviously done well enough every year. DoA isn't like this. DoA has only had one version of the game that people truly considered good and really tournament worthy, DoA 3.1, which wasn't even released in America! DoA's stigma has always been that its a game with no depth and all about bouncing boobs, and the both Team Ninja and the community perpetuated this. There aren't exactly a lot of people clamoring to get in on DoA5 as a competitive fighter after how garbage EVERY single past game was. I mean shit, at least with MK, the first 3 were all tournament worthy games, and when people heard that MK9 was returning to MK3 style, I couldn't believe how many people were psyched about it.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
Whoa now... let's not go calling MK1 a tournament worthy game.

Have you actually tried playing that game with another person during your adult life? It's pretty bad.

Kronin

It's nice this picture of the Doa Community.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
It's nice this picture of the Doa Community.

The only reason that the DOA community survived for as long as it did during the DOA 4 era was frankly BECAUSE it was so casual based... and casuals are not set in their ways. They are willing to try new and cool shit, and this is what keeps people entertained during the long haul.

We don't follow standard FGC protocol and never have. Thats a problem in some cases when you're trying to get people to travel, but its great in others because we can dump a lot of the dumb stigmas and just have fun with the game.

I mean comn, clan matches. We used to have those all the time. What other FGC even does that? Its like alien to a lot of them. Even in a bad game like DOA 4 those were fun. I still remember doing that great big clan tournament where we had everyone face off.

I really hope to see an interest in clan battles again. But there will be other stuff, I'm sure. God I hope this game has a decent netcode...

Status
Not open for further replies.
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD