I'm honestly getting tired of dealing with people's opinions on DOA

Onryoki

Standard Donor
There’s not really a Dutch scene I know of besides me and Bacaww, so I’ll try to convince my online friends to try out DOA6 and join FSD.

Dr PaC

Yeah but even then they're still being sexualized as well too, and in more recent years they are created for the female gaze. They're designed to not only look cool and tough for the men since shirtless muscular men are considered cool by straight males but to also look appealing to the women/men(women aren't the only ones men are sexualized for nowadays) as well. Same with girls, outfits are designed for them to be cool and flashy as well for the men/women who play said character but they also have sex appeal as well too. That's a general thing nowadays in most games where everyone is designed with sex appeal, the male power structure won't view it as strange or sexual tho if it's done right, which is why most people don't complain about voldo in SC for example since the cool factor is way more prominent than the actual sexualization of his character

I agree with the game being directed for both male and female gazes when it comes to the characters. Not just for the “oh, they’re attractive” part but also for the fact that the characters look cool. I’ve seen girls that play DOA (super casuals btw) who see characters like Nyotengu or Hitomi and find them to be somewhat relatable and/or like the characters style when it comes to their appearance and dress. Girls who I see play this game rarely mention the sexualization of the game, but rather, the female gaze towards the DOA girls they play are more in the sense that the DOA girls have a look and personality they like and can mimic if they want. I think that’s nice and it’s not done with an agenda in mind like other forms of media do when trying to push “girl power” or whatever

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
I agree with the game being directed for both male and female gazes when it comes to the characters. Not just for the “oh, they’re attractive” part but also for the fact that the characters look cool. I’ve seen girls that play DOA (super casuals btw) who see characters like Nyotengu or Hitomi and find them to be somewhat relatable and/or like the characters style when it comes to their appearance and dress. Girls who I see play this game rarely mention the sexualization of the game, but rather, the female gaze towards the DOA girls they play are more in the sense that the DOA girls have a look and personality they like and can mimic if they want. I think that’s nice and it’s not done with an agenda in mind like other forms of media do when trying to push “girl power” or whatever
Yeah that's what I mean, in games it doesn't matter how sexualized characters are as long as they're presented in a cool way, like my sister is straight and she likes Ayane and Honoka, she's well aware that there is fan service in the game and that's a main selling point but she likes who she likes because they're cool to her(Idk why she likes honoka tho since I don't like her anymore xD), and my little 7-8 year old cousins like Rachel and Alpha 152 and pretty much all the girls but they like them more based on how cool and strong they are, they don't really pay attention/understand the fanservice so they don't really bat an eye at it although they do sometimes get grossed out and look at me saying "Really Lavar???" when I try to pick Kasumi's swimsuits or something even remotely revealing

I think nowadays people don't really care about fanservice in general but because they released that beach game years ago it's tainted their image, although I think if they would have released Xtreme in this day and age people wouldn't really care. It's a bandwagon nowadays to hate on DOA because of the fanservice even tho other games have done the same like KOF and SC6(although in its defense, everyone is sexualized equally in their own way)

human013

It's honestly the same way with games like Arcana Heart, Skullgirls and even stuff like UNIEL, Blazblue and Guilty Gear despite how they seem to have more people playing... it's still in the same issue of people ignoring them because "EW Anime" and walking off to play Street Fighter(ironic...)

DOA isn't the only game with a negative stigma it can never remove, it's just the latest in the long line of reasons people say for fighting games.
You're right, but DOA seems to handle it's stigma in the worst way possible which is to kiss everyone's ass.

Look at the BB vs GG arguments people have which started as GG people saying BB sucks. BB chugged along doing its own thing being itself and look at it now. Then look at the anime vs non anime fighter arguments. Anime fighters are still chugging along doing their own things regardless of what people say and they can still draw people in. The things DOA, from the developers to the players themselves, do are the strangest things I've seen so far.

PhoenixVFIRE

Yeah but even then they're still being sexualized as well too, and in more recent years they are created for the female gaze. They're designed to not only look cool and tough for the men since shirtless muscular men are considered cool by straight males but to also look appealing to the women/men(women aren't the only ones men are sexualized for nowadays) as well. Same with girls, outfits are designed for them to be cool and flashy as well for the men/women who play said character but they also have sex appeal as well too. That's a general thing nowadays in most games where everyone is designed with sex appeal, the male power structure won't view it as strange or sexual tho if it's done right, which is why most people don't complain about voldo in SC for example since the cool factor is way more prominent than the actual sexualization of his character
i understand what u mean and all, and even agree somewhat but the fact of the matter is that there is a power imbalance, and sexualizing men in video games and other media just does not have the same effect as it does on women. Ofc, this all goes into a much bigger and broader discussion that isn't really appropriate for the thread, but yeah, i'll just leave it at that.

Macca Beam

You forget DBZ is such a massive outlier for most people, some would go as far to say it ISN'T anime just so they can be justified in liking it despite hating anime.
this may sound absurd, but it is completely true. DBZ is the biggest ironic weeb central out there. it's "that anime you are allowed to like", and the lengths some people will go to justify being a filthy weeb that gobbles up the most vapid gateway powerwank turd in existence is honestly baffling. they will argue it's not anime, use cringe lingo like "manime" in an attempt to elevate it above what it really is, or say "okay DBZ might be anime, but it is not anime which is different and bad, dad!!"

and i always love it when a sniff farter player complains about "anime games" then go back and play a game with a roster that could easily all fit into a nukige

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD