I'm honestly getting tired of dealing with people's opinions on DOA

Raansu

My favorite part is when people used to say things by the lines of “omg they are gonna put DOA characters on it Dissidia is ruined :eek::eek:“ just because it was TN making it lol

Was dissidia actually disliked? I thought the new one was a lot of fun.

Ninoasker

Oof... that game’s “fan” base is a cesspool. It’s basically old fans complaining about how the game sucks bc it’s not like “muh old PSP dissidias” and also new players who jumped into the hate bandwagon because they played for (5) minutes and already had a full opinion smh lol. Nothing new really, everyone hates new things nowadays.

The game is pretty fun actually, the only bad thing is that the connections are usually P2P (no dedicated servers) so lag is pretty common, especially if you get a 3v3 with all humans (the playerbase is small so there’s chances that you end up paired with bots especially in lower ranks since every dedicated player is now in higher ranks). The community for it outside of the “old skool fans™” is also pretty dedicated so if you’re able to join any discord, playstation community or facebook group for the game you can find matches pretty easily.

Awesmic

Standard Donor
I thought dissidia was really cool, but it's controls and animations put me off.
Nothing a little mapping can't fix if you're used to PSP legacy controls outside of a single dedicated dash button.

On top of that, you're no longer restricted to choosing between free airdashing and target airdashing. You can simply neutral dash to head straight for the opponent's altitude, or hold any direction while dashing to freely dash in the altitude you're in. Also, you can instantly change direction while dashing when you switch targets.

As for the animations, it helps to know that each character class has different speeds when performing BRV attacks and dashing.

TRI Mike

It seems the "Xtreme crowd" is at it again against a media guy from a site called Twinfinite. He reported that Shimbori said there's no imposed censorship on the game and they're all insulting and pointing fingers at people. These guys don't care a damn about the GAME, they just wanna stare at waifus.

I had one of them tell me on Twitter that having Marie Rose getting punched in the face was unacceptable. In a fighting game. Another on Reddit unironically claimed that he was an expert because "he spent 300 dollars on DOA5 dlc".

Jesus Christ.

Raansu

It seems the "Xtreme crowd" is at it again against a media guy from a site called Twinfinite. He reported that Shimbori said there's no imposed censorship on the game and they're all insulting and pointing fingers at people. These guys don't care a damn about the GAME, they just wanna stare at waifus.

I had one of them tell me on Twitter that having Marie Rose getting punched in the face was unacceptable. In a fighting game. Another on Reddit unironically claimed that he was an expert because "he spent 300 dollars on DOA5 dlc".

Jesus Christ.

Those people on twitter more than likely never planned on buying the game to begin with. They're probably not even doa fans, let alone fighting game fans.

Xhominid The Demon Within

Jesus Christ.

As stated by @Raansu, don't worry about those idiots as most of them aren't even fans and simply want to bitch to bitch. I mean they already have the Xtreme games, why should THIS impact them in any fashion whatsoever? See where the stupidity comes in from?

Awesmic

Standard Donor

Jesus Christ.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Ninoasker

haha just rondo/BH it bro how are marie facepunches real
Back in the day I saw some someone on gamefaqs get buttmad over DOA5 letting you "derail a train and kill innocent people" though
if only these type of persons cared about real people as much as they do for pixel people... let alone those who ain’t even programmed to exist cause the train doesn’t contain any model LMAO

Hold_Junkie93

Team Ninja has made a lot of improvements to DOA from the cesspool that is DOA4 to DOA5 & DOA6, and agree that holds should stay, but if you're familiar with SoulCalibur, Tekken & Virtua Fighter, something just seems off with how DOA feels and/or plays. Has nothing to do with being a "generic fighter". As much as some ignorant morons may state it on other websites, DOA is FAR from a generic fighter in both visual style, characters and gameplay. I don't want to turn this into a "What DOA can do better" thread, but I can make some suggestions that could potentially help DOA out mechanically.

- Remove the ability to move at the start of a round (R1F)
- Allow proper sidestep punishes beyond just the 2/8S~S single strike attack (though sidesteps work well now)
- Allow throw breaks on command grabs in neutral in general (I.e. not hi-counter), though offensive holds should remain unbreakable
- Fix the mechanics so lows never hit an opponent in an air-state
- Consider removing critical holds (the ability to hold in stun, NOT in general), and thus make Break Holds replace critical holds or have critical holds cost some meter (i.e. meter is used to escape stun)
- Consider not having counter-hits on backsteps

Overall DOA6 is a step in the right direction with shortened stuns, consistent launch heights, and improved sidesteps but feel that the average FG player will still somewhat scuff at the mechanics. It's really easy to just say "fuck those people", but as was mentioned earlier, DOA needs to grow and can't really stagnate.
About lows hitting mid air opponents. It's not odd per se. It has to do more with there not being invincible frames from Frame 1. Sarah has it with 8K+H, and it's a main thing I love about her. Low holds are fine but people should have a more, advantageous approach than knockdown because rise-kicks slow the pace alot. 6S with meter seems to compliment this. Or make it like VF where more characters have the option to crush them. In VF you can just evade half circle.

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
About lows hitting mid air opponents. It's not odd per se. It has to do more with there not being invincible frames from Frame 1. Sarah has it with 8K+H, and it's a main thing I love about her. Low holds are fine but people should have a more, advantageous approach than knockdown because rise-kicks slow the pace alot. 6S with meter seems to compliment this. Or make it like VF where more characters have the option to crush them. In VF you can just evade half circle.

I'm talking about lows that can swat Hayabusa, whom is 10 feet high, out of the air. I'm fine with lows that stuff attacks that are not in an "airstate" yet and thus not having the low crush frames active yet. Yeah, wake-up kicks still feel a bit on the strong side in DOA6, though BH's & BB's technically can deal with them, but you cannot deny that DOA6's wake-up game slows a match's pace down badly at times. However, offline, WUK's can be reacted to easily to the point that you don't fear them as much. In DOA, characters can already "crush" WUK's (low crush low WUK, mid crush mid WUK's, etc. or can beat them out with a 21-damage+ strike or more for example). In VF you can indeed sidestep WUK's to one side because they're semi-circular, but VF's wake-up game can be pretty slow if the opponent rarely tech rolls (though if the opponent does tech roll, you can do some devious shit to them on wake-up).

I vote to bring back forced techs in DOA6, because the defending character already has tools to deal with pressure: blocking, holds, better sidesteps, crushes, break holds, break blows, etc. for instance. In the DOA6 beta it rarely felt worth it to stand over an opponent's downed body at the risk of getting struck by a WUK.

Hold_Junkie93

I'm talking about lows that can swat Hayabusa, whom is 10 feet high, out of the air. I'm fine with lows that stuff attacks that are not in an "airstate" yet and thus not having the low crush frames active yet. Yeah, wake-up kicks still feel a bit on the strong side in DOA6, though BH's & BB's technically can deal with them, but you cannot deny that DOA6's wake-up game slows a match's pace down badly at times. However, offline, WUK's can be reacted to easily to the point that you don't fear them as much. In DOA, characters can already "crush" WUK's (low crush low WUK, mid crush mid WUK's, etc. or can beat them out with a 21-damage+ strike or more for example). In VF you can indeed sidestep WUK's to one side because they're semi-circular, but VF's wake-up game can be pretty slow if the opponent rarely tech rolls (though if the opponent does tech roll, you can do some devious shit to them on wake-up).

I vote to bring back forced techs in DOA6, because the defending character already has tools to deal with pressure: blocking, holds, better sidesteps, crushes, break holds, break blows, etc. for instance. In the DOA6 beta it rarely felt worth it to stand over an opponent's downed body at the risk of getting struck by a WUK.
Ooooh, that? Yeah...that's retarded.
The fact you can combo people for way more damage in VF is why it doesn't feel too bad. It's like blazblue where if you don't tech, you're getting blue comboed. That is their way of dealing with people who don't want to tech. DoA had the force techs and punished people with 50/50s which isn't as bad as VF in practicality but the fear gets you because of stun and throws not being techable for the most part. So, it works for the meta. If people can stay on the ground in 6 then that's going to harm the pressure and meta. People won't need to guess... It's kind of like the opposite of SFV and why people don't like it because pressure strings last longer compared to previous sfs. SF players are good at being untouchable, the pros really. Players even in 4 had trouble planting offense on pros. Whatever goes against pros dominating in an area, they take out. In doa's case, that's decreasing guessing. It's sooo slimey how they treat the hardcore players. When are they going to realize that causals/scrubs don't care to play ranked or be competitive?

Last edited:

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
Ooooh, that? Yeah...that's retarded.
The fact you can combo people for way more damage in VF is why it doesn't feel too bad. It's like blazblue where if you don't tech, you're getting blue comboed. That is their way of dealing with people who don't want to tech. DoA had the force techs and punished people with 50/50s which isn't as bad as VF in practicality but the fear gets you because of stun and throws not being techable for the most part. So, it works for the meta. If people can stay on the ground in 6 then that's going to harm the pressure and meta. People won't need to guess... It's kind of like the opposite of SFV and why people don't like it because pressure strings last longer compared to previous sfs. SF players are good at being untouchable, the pros really. Players even in 4 had trouble planting offense on pros. Whatever goes against pros dominating in an area, they take out. In doa's case, that's decreasing guessing. It's sooo slimey how they treat the hardcore players. When are they going to realize that causals/scrubs don't care to play ranked or be competitive?

Yes, VF's mechanism for encouraging tech rolls are combos that hit grounded opponents before they fully "settle" (same with SC and ground hits that need to be tech rolled to be avoided, and in Tekken you take mad damage if you just lie on the ground haha). Forced techs is generally DOA's equivalent mechanism. I agree also that TN shouldn't put so much emphasis on casual play with DOA6's promotion because who the hell really overtly complained that DOA is "too hard"?

Hold_Junkie93

Yes, VF's mechanism for encouraging tech rolls are combos that hit grounded opponents before they fully "settle" (same with SC and ground hits that need to be tech rolled to be avoided, and in Tekken you take mad damage if you just lie on the ground haha). Forced techs is generally DOA's equivalent mechanism. I agree also that TN shouldn't put so much emphasis on casual play with DOA6's promotion because who the hell really overtly complained that DOA is "too hard"?
yeah it seems really random considering that Itagaki had the games accessible enough. He was a smart dude but at the same time I appreciate the new direction with 5 being more technical. It just seems odd they're taking a step back with that. Developers are getting real bipolar. do they feel itagaki was right? I guess it being causal friendly is exactly why the they became successful but at the time 3D was cool and it was a good thing they stand out from the rest of the pack. Times are different now that they can survive. From the words on the Kayane interview, they seem contempt and realistic. They will sell well, especially with all the fighting game hype atm

Last edited:

Dr PaC

I think it was less that the game was disliked but more so that the console version was horrendously neglected by Square. With its terrible state at launch, bad netcode, mechanics that casuals couldnt easily pick up, a terrible story (in comparison to Duodecium), and the fact that there's not nearly as many customizable options like there were in past games, the game just sadly died. It hurt to see the game go out the way it did, cuz Duodecium was my jam and I was a proud Lightning main. Another thing that peeved me off too was the fact that Lightnings moveset was gutted in NT. How do they justify her gunblade not shooting bullets?! Oh well, at least Y'stola is dope

Mestizo

Standard Donor
This post is mostly unrelated to DOA6 itself but I really wanna share my thoughts on this. I'm seriously getting sick of reading people's hostile and ignorant thoughts on this franchise. I know DOA has always had a "delicate" reputation of being a titty fighter, which is completely undeserved in my opinion but with DOA6, it seems to me like it has turned for the worst.

Ever since DOAX3 came out and it's retarded localization controversy happened, I've felt like the people who like that game claimed entire ownership of the DOA fanbase. They mistakenly believe the entire franchise exists for them and them only. They think the sole purpose of the existence of the series is for people like them to masturbate to 2D tits. For them, the fighting is like the volleyball, a side minigame. That infuriates me to no end.

I wanna make something very clear. I also appreciate DOA's fanservice and I think it's one of the things that gives the franchise an identity. Just like Mortal Kombat's gore. it has to stay and removing it would definitely be a mistake. Of all the characters, my favorite right now is Honoka and I admit that one of the reasons I like her is because I think she's super pretty. But that is not the only reason why I play her. I just find her gameplay fascinating and mixing so many iconic DOA moves in a single fighter is something I truly enjoy. Still, this "Xtreme" crowd makes me believe that I'm alone in this. It's impossible to discuss Honoka's (and Marie's) gameplay, combos and strategy anywhere outside this website without them inevitably turning the conversation to her costumes and huge breasts.

In the lasts months following DOA6's launch, I've tried to join several DOA communities in social media like Reddit, Discord or Facebook and every time I read comments, it just makes me furious. In the time leading up to DOA5 I remember having excellent conversations about gameplay and the mechanics with fans here and in several other sites. There was a ton of talk about costumes and fanservice of course and I participated in those as well but with DOA6 it seems to be the only thing people talk about. That and the supposed "censorship". Nobody outside FSD cares about the new break blow and hold, nobody cares about the ground game, guaranteed damage or the wall splats that worried us so much two weeks ago. It's all otakus and neets complaining about not seeing bikinis, breasts being smaller and Diego not being a 14-year-old japanese idol. It's stupid.

Now that I'm an adult, I've come to terms with the fact that this franchise will never be famous. During the DOA2-5 years I tried very hard to make an offline scene in the country I used to live in. I tried to sell the game to the people who played Street Fighter, Tekken or Soul Calibur. I know that is very difficult and I've just given up. I wanna play DOA6 with the few people who care about it here and in the online matchmaking but it seems the Xtreme crowd has made it their mission to deny us even that.
The DOA franchise has always been equal parts solid gameplay and excess fanservice. Were it not for the then amazing 3d jiggle physics tecmo and DOA would have never survived the 90s. Just like Mortal Kombat and its gore the 90s were just blood spurts and fatalities but the series now has xray gore mid match, detailed gore per move, and even more blood.

DOA5 was the MK10 of DOA. If the 90s had jiggle and the 00s had cleavage and things then DOA5 only had the fanservice it did as a means to improve upon what it had.

DOA6 toning down its fanservice due to feminist outcry is no different than if MK today turning off blood because of concerned Christian parents groups. It wouldnt be taken well. If it was purely a design choice and sjw/sarkeesian/twittervirtue signaling were not a thing then this would be different. But all that are very real things and we know full well why it was done.

DOA not being a mainstream game is down to the complexity of the gameplay. That inherently limits the audience if the game isnt as easy to pick up and play as smash 4. Trying to convert tekken and SF fans is also stupid since their games are bigger and still good. Your best bet would be to introduce it to new players.

But either way if you are looking for validation on the internet you are doing a fools errand. For example I played an amazing game in halo 3 where I pretty much single handily won the game for my team and racked up 100 kills with the banshee. I still got hate messages. All from people who know and love the gAme. It just shows that the internet will always have a shot ton of hate even if the person you talk to loves what you do. Its just how the internet works.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD