Itagaki: DOA is "like having given a daughter off to be married."

In a recent interview with Impress Watch Itagaki responded to the announcement of Dead or Alive 5, or in other words he was told of its announcement. Itagaki is fine with his game being pushed on ahead, even going so far as to saying it's like having given a daughter off to be married.

Andriasang has translated as follows:

Andriasang said:
Separate from Devil's Third, Impress mentioned that Tecmo Koei had announced Dead or Alive 5 earlier in the week. Of course, Dead or Alive is Itagaki's baby. Asked for his impression, Itagaki said, "It was announced? I still haven't seen it myself, so I'm not in a position to comment."

Impress pressed further and asked if as the series' father it feels a bit odd to see the series be continued on without him. Itagaki replied that while there are some creators like that, he is different. He views Dead or Alive as like having given a daughter off to be married. It would be bad for a father to always be protective of his daughter. He can only hope that she is given happiness.

Original Japanese from Impress as follows:

Impress Watch said:
編: 格闘ゲームといえば、コーエーテクモさんが「DEAD OR ALIVE 5」を正式発表しましたが、どのような感想をお持ちですか?

板垣氏: 発表したんですか。私自身はまだ見ていないのでコメントする立場にないですね。

編: 生みの親としては、クリエイターの後輩たちがフランチャイズを紡いでいくということに関して特に違和感はありませんか?

板垣氏: ないない、まったくない(笑)。そういうクリエイターは確かにいますが、私は違います。「DEAD OR ALIVE」は嫁に出したようなものだから、後は幸せにしてくれよと思うだけで、いつまでも娘をかわいいかわいいしてるのは父親失格でしょう?

itagaki_01.gif

VERY classy response from the father of DOA. Despite the past differences between Tecmo and Itagaki-san (w/ the Team Ninja members who also left), I'm sure he's looking forward to DOA5 and NG3 with as much hype as the fans. I'm looking forward to his current projects; the man knows how to make damn good gaming formula's for the male demographic.

I use to love reading his interview and still do. In an age where being politically correct has become more important that honesty, Itgaki-san remains as a modern day Socrates, unwavering and always has something smart and thought provoking to say! I will always love this guy, and I hope he makes another fighter one day!

What a champ. Good ol' Itagaki.

He broke up with mommy and left the family home, but still has an approving nod for the kids :p

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD