DOA5U Jann Lee Top 10 Moves

RiBu

To get the ball rolling on more DOA5U discussion for Jann Lee, what do you think are his top 10 moves? I'll update this post to reflect common points on certain attacks, their usability, and situational uses of some attacks if the need arises...

Darth Lotonic X

No specific order:

6P: 12 frame mid, kind of self-explanatory.

P6P: Natural combo into mix-up game. The stun can be stagger escaped but still useful.

66H+P: Dragon Gunner is slower now, but still the Dragon Gunner.

6H+K: Best option after DG, High Kick hold, and Mid Punch Hold.

3K: Good poke. Also sit-down stun on crouching opponents.

H+K: Sit-down stun on opponents in critical stun. Almost guarantees a CB.

66K: Pretty much his only ranged attack.

33P: Best Launcher.

4H+K: Limbo Stun.

6K: Second fastest mid. Pretty good stun.

RiBu

Yea, that's basically what I was thinking for his best moves.

I'd have 9K up there as it is a decent low crush which can net him impressive damage when that happens.

Ein

In what regards?...how to deal with people blocking you?
Blocking and approaching.....I'm new to this game and I still don't understand at least with Jann Lee how to make people respect me more, along along with getting in.

RiBu

Well off the bat you need to remember you have only 5(?) lows, and they are pretty lack luster. 2P is fast and a decent high crush, but doesn't lead into anything. 2 F+K leads to stun and high crushes, but it is insanely slow and pretty telegraphed; it does come out of P2P2K,6P2K, and P6P2K. 1K knocks down in stun/CH and can come out of PPP2K, but it's somewhat obvious in that sense.

If you need to get around blocking, you can always try 66F+P, which is his OH that gives him a mix-up afterwards. It's fairly slow though, 23 frames(?) and has a pretty tell-tell animation, so you need to try and fish it out during your block strings...

So, the way I've always played Jann Lee has been to fish for CHs by staying at his max poking range. From here 4K,3K, and 4K+F are fairly decent at outranging a lot of characters. 4F+K puts them in limbo stun (they bend over) so he gets a guaranteed combo afterwards. Now if you are closer, your main pokes are P/6P. PP6P in particular is super important to his offense, from what I can tell, since it goes into his new stance. 6P is a fast mid, I'm not sure what it is in this game but in 2/3 it's 11 frames. 6P also has natural follow-ups from it, so remember which ones you can do from it, and their applications(it also goes into his stance). P and its numerous followups are the core of your offensive pressure, and with the ability to cancel some of these strings into dragon stance he now has a better mix-up game than previous DOAs...

Dragon Stance(?) has some pretty useful moves from it. It can come from PP6P,9P, 6P,4PP,6F+K,2P+K, and 1P+K off the top of my head; I'll go look in a bit to see if there are more, but those are the main ways iirc. Your main tools from this stance are:
P which is a 9 frame jab, so it's insanely fast.
K which is a quick mid kick that stuns.
P+K is a CB from this stance so it's good to remember if you have them at the CB threshhold.
6P+K is a multi hitting high move that can transition back into DS, so it's good for his mix-up game if ypu have the pressure.

I might be wrong on a few points, but this is basically how I remember him from previous games. He has a few more options now than he used to, but a lot of his core mechanics are still there.

Kberry14

Mann te="Ein, post: 129034, member: 6054"]What would you guy recommend for him getting in? For Ein I was told its 2 H+K[/quote]
Jann lee is not made to have moves that allows them to get in he's specialized to get people
away from them as quickly as possible and keep there distance and keep knocking your opponent back from you when they keep trying to get in on you until there worn out and focus on getting the life lead so by then there game is all messed up and will start to make many mistakes and you come in and beat them to mush lol but yeah the trick to jann lee is let them come to you one of his fatal flaws is he don't do so hot
against quicker foes but if jann lee's foe is same speed or slower jann lee is a monster in close combat Ein
Is basically the same as jann lee but Ein is a little better in the knock back game but jann lee is better than him close combat so to wrap this up don't try to focus too much on getting on your opponent let them come to you

TRI_Gero

I tested this move in the Lab yesterday, my lack of a good internet connection does not allow me to verify its utility until I get some Live Matches sessions going.

PP4PP (Charge the last Punch)

Is a Guard Break that knocks back the opponent but leaves Lee in +8 advantage on Block, this could be useful when the Opponent has a wall to their backs which shouldn't be difficult to do considering the massive Knockback Lee has, this Guard Break, most likely guarantees his 6H+P Throw which is his standard punisher, it is now a combo throw when on the wall followed by P+K getting you on Dragon Stance, leaving you in a Mix-Up that will most likely net you a Wall Combo.
This Backstance Punch can also be accessed as part of his 3K4K(P) String.

I'm hoping this bit of Tech proves beneficial for you guys starting out as Lee, as I am!

Also I think that his main string to use when on CQC is PP6PP as it is a -4 advantage on Block which is "Safe" considering some characters can neutral grab you on punish you must be ready to Throw Escape when doing this!

P.S: On the Subject of Getting into people's Faces I think instead of an attacking move I'd rather rely on more conventional movement methods such as Dashing or simply moving towards the opponent, Considering also that Dashing can lead to both 66K which is linear or his Dragon Gunner!

Last edited:

Darkslay

So i came up with my own list of his 10 best moves as of LR in no specific order, open to all opinions and answers :)

4PPP: really good move, can be used in a multitude of ways such as, poking, force teching and frame trapping.

66K: strong poke, essential for keep away and whiff punishing.

6P: 11 frame mid, nuff said XD.

6K: Second best poke, gives good stun and catches BT

66T: Its the dragon gunner for God´s sake XD.

H+K: Crushes lows and of course sets up a sit down stun.

6H+K: Good poke and if it lands it gives good mix-up in DS or without it.

P6P: Stuns on normal hit and sets up easy mix-ups.

7K: Yet another poking tool, second best launcher, good for frame traps and on counter hit gives a full combo.

236P: Good poke and keep away tool, damage and CH range got increased so it is incentivized to use mid threshold.

So there you have it, remember this is just a personal opinion based on my experience from playing both U and LR :).

Last edited:

KING JAIMY

So i came up with my own list of his 10 best moves as of LR in no specific order, open to all opinions and answers :)

4PPP: really good move, can be used in a multitude of ways such as, poking, force teching and frame trapping.

66K: strong poke, essential for keep away and whiff punishing.

6P: 11 frame mid, nuff said XD.

6K: Second best poke, gives good stun and catches BT

66T: Its the dragon gunner for God´s sake XD.

H+K: Crushes highs and of course sets up a sit down stun.

6H+K: Good poke and if it lands it gives good mix-up in DS or without it.

P6P: Stuns on normal hit and sets up easy mix-ups.

7K: Yet another poking tool, second best launcher, good for frame traps and on counter hit gives a full combo.

236P: Good poke and keep away tool, damage and CH range got increased so it is incentivized to use mid threshold.

So there you have it, remember this is just a personal opinion based on my experience from playing both U and LR :).
I pretty much fully agree with your list.

The only things I would replace are 4PPP to 4H+K (because of limbo stun opportunities and delayable follow-up) and 236P to 3P (lift stun, very good stun extender that is hard to slow escape).

Also, do you know what a frame trap is? Because 4PPP and 7K are not frame traps, as you listed.

Darkslay

I pretty much fully agree with your list.

The only things I would replace are 4PPP to 4H+K (because of limbo stun opportunities and delayable follow-up) and 236P to 3P (lift stun, very good stun extender that is hard to slow escape).

Also, do you know what a frame trap is? Because 4PPP and 7K are not frame traps, as you listed.

You see, you rarely get to use 4H+K in the open as people will always be on the lookout for H+K the only real time to use in a mix-up situation would be after DG, that´s why i don´t see it as a ´´key move´´.

As for 3P, again a very linear option, i appreciate its crushing capabilities.... when they work XD, an honorable mention perhaps?

I guess 7K doesn´t really apply for frame trap huh? i was used to getting CH after someone blocking 6P or PPP6P so maybe that´s what i tought so, 4PPP might not have any advantage on block but if you delay 4PP P you can certainly catch people pressing buttons, like i said it may not be its main function but it is one of them.

Regardless, thanks for your opinion, its always appreciated :).

Gurimmjaw

Well sorry for my laziness but this my top 10 for Jann Lee's moves.

6p: His fastest mid going at 11 frames. One of his most used moves.

66t: his dragon gunner which can lead to resetting the whole situation over again.

9p: good ranged poke of his and safe on block -1 and gives +3 on hit and gives a lot of advantage on CH. Very useful.

66k: great for keep out and whiff punishing.

7k: good ch tool. Very effective against players who hit buttons when left negative as it launches on ch and good useful to against Hayate's 8p+k

6k: his 2nd fastest mid and has 2 follow ups from it. Good defensive option.

3k: good for keep out and you have follow ups from 3k.

P+k: Strange no one mention this one. Great when people love rushing in at you and safe on block as it a gb and gives good pushback. I view this as his get off me type move.

H+k: his best low crush move and when used in stun causes sit down which guarantees 9k. Unsafe on block.

4h+k: if used in dg causes opponent to go bt which guarantees 7k or 236p, and out of dg happens if you and your opponent are facing different ways like your front facing you and opponent back showing.

King of Kings

Good Suggestions through the threads. I ve read .Jann Lee is an awesome character very high on a tier list indeed.
His weaknesses are on a short list but still are big if u r using him as your main. One big weakness is his defense. To defend with Jann can be challengin if he is not use right. Another weakness is faster characters.Jann Lee is monster at zoning. By the way i believe his 7p is the only frame trap he has. - Last Real King

Last edited:

Gurimmjaw

I wouldnt say so, as he has good options when on the defensive and great when dealing with characters slower than him or at his speed. However dealing with characters faster than him can be challenging like Kasumi, and Christie. Hes lacking a good high crush. 3p+k risky if blocked as it leaves you at -17 on block.

Darkslay

Well sorry for my laziness but this my top 10 for Jann Lee's moves.

6p: His fastest mid going at 11 frames. One of his most used moves.

66t: his dragon gunner which can lead to resetting the whole situation over again.

9p: good ranged poke of his and safe on block -1 and gives +3 on hit and gives a lot of advantage on CH. Very useful.

66k: great for keep out and whiff punishing.

7k: good ch tool. Very effective against players who hit buttons when left negative as it launches on ch and good useful to against Hayate's 8p+k

6k: his 2nd fastest mid and has 2 follow ups from it. Good defensive option.

3k: good for keep out and you have follow ups from 3k.

P+k: Strange no one mention this one. Great when people love rushing in at you and safe on block as it a gb and gives good pushback. I view this as his get off me type move.

H+k: his best low crush move and when used in stun causes sit down which guarantees 9k. Unsafe on block.

4h+k: if used in dg causes opponent to go bt which guarantees 7k or 236p, and out of dg happens if you and your opponent are facing different ways like your front facing you and opponent back showing.

Sry, missed this XD.

P6P has the same range as 9P and is only -10 on SH and on hit is +14, overall just a better tool imo.

P+K is also another notable mention, its use is limted to the matchup tho being 15 frames, you put yourself at the danger of getting hit BT.

I already said my toughts on 4H+K its use is very limited and its -18 on block so thats a big no-no XD

Gurimmjaw

Sry, missed this XD.

P6P has the same range as 9P and is only -10 on SH and on hit is +14, overall just a better tool imo.

P+K is also another notable mention, its use is limted to the matchup tho being 15 frames, you put yourself at the danger of getting hit BT.

I already said my toughts on 4H+K its use is very limited and its -18 on block so thats a big no-no XD

P6p good as stuns on NH, however unsafe on block. 66p being -8 on block and p6p being -11 on block so 9p the safest option the one advantage 66p has over it is stuns on NH.

P+K is very underrated and has its uses when needed. Gives good pushback and even though it leaves you in bt they cant do much since they will be far away to do much afterwards.

4h+k is unsafe however it does have have a follow up from it but no one really uses 4h+k outside of stun like h+k

Darkslay

The -10 on P6P doesn´t really matter as no one punishes it, same as 6P which is -12 compared to 6PP which is -9.

Like i said in some matchups P+K is great but on others is too much of a risk.

And the problem with 4H+K and H+K is that they´re both mids making it also risky.

Gurimmjaw

That certain players but players I do play punish that. Some players dont even throw punish but there are players that know that unsafe.

They are mids but nothing stopping anyone from using h+k so the risk same as using h+k, but I use both options.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD