Kokoro's infinite against back turned

Stikku

I was fucking around with Kokoro trying to get some advantage combos in DOAD. I never played her much in DOA4, and this may be worth checking to see if it's still possible in DOA5.

Essentially, going for frame advantage setups with her :4::F+P: that sets up the opponent with their back turned to Kokoro giving her advantage (or any situation where the opponent's back is turned), you can follow up with :6::P::P: :~: :6::6::P+K:, :6::P::P: :~: :6::6::P+K: :5::5::5: getting a "Standing 30-hit combo" that resets the combo damage modifier every volley, netting well over 300 damage. I'm sure it's slow-escapable, but the only other game I can think of with this stupid "standing 30-hit combo" horseshit is DOA5.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Gen Fu had a 30-hit combo in DOA4, and Bass had a 30-hit juggle in DOA3.

Stikku

Gen Fu had a 30-hit combo in DOA4, and Bass had a 30-hit juggle in DOA3.
I assume you mean "30-hit standing combo" and not simply "30-hit" combo. Most characters could get 30 hit combos using various stage environment obstacles and careful setting up.
That being said, is this kokoro 30-hit reset loop in DOA5?

Stikku

The Gen fu one, is that based of hi-counter launcher into his "catch" throw loop? That's really not much of a comparison in this sense. As for Bass in DOA3, the juggle mechanics in that game were goofy. Shame that DOA5's juggle mechanics are based off it, though with a more reasonable gravity. DOA4 obviously had the best, most complete amount of features to prevent ridiculous Tekken juggles and there was no sight of literal standing 30-hit combos, implying everyone who worked on that game actually knew what they were doing.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Why is his catch throw loop not much of a comparison? it's all holdable attacks in DOA4.

Stikku

Why is his catch throw loop not much of a comparison? it's all holdable attacks in DOA4.
That's the difference. In Gen Fu's case, it was a single oversight that was unique to him and not some visible issue across many different characters extending from a deeper, mechanical flaw in the gameplay (unlike Bass in DOA3, which extended from a technical flaw in the juggle system, but again was unique to him with the properties of only one move being overlooked). However, there are 30-hit standing combo threshold reset loops both in DOAD and DOA5, where such a thing was never heard of in previous games. Granted not every character has them, but they stick out like sore thumbs.

All in all, it just goes to show how little traditional "combos" are considered in the DOA series, and that's the way it should stay. It would just be nice to see some effort in acquiring an impractical 30 hit combo rather than having characters take the piss out of it all by doing it without using the environment or adhering to proper stun threshold and re-launcher limitation mechanics.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
The issue with the 30 hit string in DOA5 is caused by the reaction of a specific stun on hit. that isn't a 'mechanical flaw in the gameplay', it's an issue with one stun.

Stikku

The issue with the 30 hit string in DOA5 is caused by the reaction of a specific stun on hit. that isn't a 'mechanical flaw in the gameplay', it's an issue with one stun.
That being said, DOA1-4 never had issues like this, unless you want to consider Bass's infinite juggle as similar. I'm just saying they needed to put a lot more work into DOA5 to see it steal the show (but isn't that what i'm always saying?)

Thanks for verifying that the Kokoro string isn't possible in DOA5. At least they caught that.

Codemaster92163

Helena has something just like this, as does Brad Wong. Don't remember his, but Helena's 3P+K resets the stun threshold with every use, as does 4P2P.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD