Kotaku "Dead Or Alive Is More Than Breasts"

Tenren

Mike Fahey over at kotaku just posted a interesting story about his past and DOA. Mostly talking about the series and bounce issues. Drop by and take a look or read which ever you prefer

"I fell in love with my favorite fighting game franchise for all the right reasons. It was fast, frantic, flashy and groundbreaking. Now, after nearly 20 years together, it's time for me to face the truth—my favorite fighting game franchise is an exhibitionist, and I'm not okay with it"

Link Here

Last edited by a moderator:

31gma

Good read. Unfortunately though, I think DOA's image is going to be as or more obscene in DOA6 due to cultural attitudes in Japan. Itagaki kept it rather tamed but from a mechanics standpoint, he followed Sakurai's approach to balance philosophy, making the game feasible to casual players. That approach goes well if you're trying to appeal to a younger and casual audience but DOA's market doesn't fit that. I find it amusing though that DOA5 was competitively viable but at the same time, more fanservicey (an inverse proportion would usually happen)

OWW

Read this earlier... Its pretty interesting but I think DOA is what it is. On one side you've got people that wish the fan service would go away, on the other you've got a lot of people that continue to buy the game and its DLC for that reason. Its the classic damned if you do, damned if you don't. Personally, I don't mind it. There's skimpy outfits and bouncy boobs in every fighting game. Only in DOA is it such a big deal to people.

Leave the people that can't see past it to their opinions is what I say. We know its a good game. That's all that matters.

Wingman

Pretty good article. I wish more people would look at DOA as a good fighting game and not just fan-service. Although,at this point I have come to accept the series for what it is. My only wish is that when I tell people that I'm a DOA player, that they process it no differently than if I told them I play Virtual Figher or Tekken. People often assume the worst.

Jean Massue

Pretty good article. I wish more people would look at DOA as a good fighting game and not just fan-service. Although,at this point I have come to accept the series for what it is. My only wish is that when I tell people that I'm a DOA player, that they process it no differently than if I told them I play Virtual Figher or Tekken. People often assume the worst.

I'm mostly at the same place as you man. Although i do buy the costumes and enjoy them for sheer variety and fanservice to a certain extent. I'm a serious DOA player who spends all his time online in ranking or in training mode. DOA is a totally legit fighter ( My favorite 3D with VF ) while GG and KOF XIII have their own place in my heart in the 2D world. :D Still i wish people would stop their prejudice over the serie.

Goarmagon

Standard Donor
Dear kotaku, please follow the instructions listed here.

Fuck these people. They only make articles about the FGC when bullshit pops off and they play the holier than thou card to people involved while talking down to people.

Leave us alone and please FUCK OFF!

Jyakotu

Standard Donor
I find it ridiculous when people who want to take an interest in the game stop from doing so because of the fan service. Every fighting game has fan service. DOA is no different. It makes me wonder how fan service can turn someone off from a fighting game, or any game?! It's just an easy excuse for people to not give the game a fair chance.

UncleBiscuits79

This was a good read. While I agree with most of the points made in the article. I want to love this game and share it with my friends and family, but it seems too embarrassing sometimes. Every person I know understand Dead or Alive as 'that game with the boobs' and not that 'great fighter with enormous fun and depth.

Basically, your game has a problem if you feel embarrassed while playing it while your mom/wife/kids are in the room. SO CONFLICTED . . .

UncleBiscuits79

I find it ridiculous when people who want to take an interest in the game stop from doing so because of the fan service. Every fighting game has fan service. DOA is no different. It makes me wonder how fan service can turn someone off from a fighting game, or any game?! It's just an easy excuse for people to not give the game a fair chance.
I see what you are saying, but there is a big difference between fan service (like TTT2 for example) and what DOA does. Big difference! I guess that's why DOA has such a bad reputation. I only started playing DOA just about a year ago with DOA5U, because I thought the same thing, being a tekken player for so long. Before I tried DOA, I was the same way, thinking the game was BS and was only a boob simulator.

Even though I think DOA is awesome since I gave it a chance, the game just BEGS not to be taken seriously from people used to other fighters. Unfortunately DOA itself kind of created that perception.

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
This was a good read. While I agree with most of the points made in the article. I want to love this game and share it with my friends and family, but it seems too embarrassing sometimes. Every person I know understand Dead or Alive as 'that game with the boobs' and not that 'great fighter with enormous fun and depth.

Basically, your game has a problem if you feel embarrassed while playing it while your mom/wife/kids are in the room. SO CONFLICTED . . .
I know exactly what you mean. If my parents and family saw me playing and training in DOA5, they'd say to me "So THIS is what you've been travelling to the States for tournaments for?" SMH. It annoys the hell out of me that I have to work harder than other games to make DOA5 look legit. If I was playing VF5:FS, I would automatically look legit despite the fact I play VF very similarly to how I play DOA.

ChaolanLegacy

I play a lot of fighting games,but Dead or Alive has to be my favorite one,and that's because it has something that the other games don't have,like the triangle system,the stage transitioning,and how you use the environment to your advantage,not just the usual spacing game,match-up heavy mindgames,and the get people close to the wall so that I can keep the pressure going ideas.People just don't give it a chance,cause they go to the big name fighting games,maybe spending there a lot of time,and then just not caring about the others.An example would be a gamer that would like to play some fighting games,the games that the person would try out is the ones that he often heard about from friends that play fighting games,those being Tekken and Street Fighter,as they are the most popular ones in the 2D and 3D genres respectively.If they'd try DOA first,they'd go with the boobs thing,or hearing about a specific Ryu being in the game,they would be like "Wait,THAT Ryu from Street Fighter?".Sadly,DOA even though it has a reputation,it has a bad one,and it's up to the players of the community to support it the best way they can to refigure its reputation.

His Reverence

Papa Reverence, the Ayane Enthusiast.
Premium Donor
Kotaku can go fuck itself. Whether they like it or not, I started to play DOA BECAUSE of its sexuality, as well as its gameplay.

I love its sex appeal - and I am pretty sure that I can wipe the floor with that imbecile who wrote this article. "Fuck those people"? No. Fuck him.

Sexuality and gameplay do not interfere with one another in DOA. DOA does both flawlessly and there is NOTHING wrong with that. To hell with these 3rd-wave feminists.

Xhominid The Demon Within

I stated a little bit of my thoughts on the article earlier in the sexuality thread but I'll state my thoughts alot better here...

The author messes up on quite a few points and overall he sounds less like a DOA player that wants the image to improve and more like someone who believes that he shouldn't be embarrassed playing this game.(Seriously, I don't feel embarrassed playing this game because I played freaking Killer Instinct and Mortal Kombat as a kid with my mom's room usually right next to ours or the living room and I played Onechanbara without a care in the world right next to my brothers)

The marketing is a legit issue but he acts as if DOA is the first game to do jiggle physics(it is in 3D but Fatal Fury is the first true recorded instance with Mai Shiranui) and also forget Itagaki's intention with Dead or Alive(while he DID run with the assumption of Sex Sells, the author ALSO forget that Itagaki made certain the game is top notch because there is ALOT of games that run with the same premise but fail miserably). And instead of feeling the issues like plenty of people did at the increased fanservice, he feels bad at the COMMERCIALS? I really never seen a DOA3 commercial, hell, I rarely seen them without looking at Youtube.

While he does point out that other Fighting games is just as bad as DOA recently, it only proves it's simply Jade Covered Glasses that most people are with DOA unlike any other game. But this DOES NOT just resonate with games, even certain CHARACTERS in other games are usually seen as fanservice characters and no one gives a shit about them otherwise(i.e. You realize Mai actually prides herself more on being a Yamato Nadeshiko more than being a Ninja? Or despite Ivy's gear she MADE her sword through Alchemy and plans to never have kids? Or Morrigan's entire story in Darkstalker is her learning how to rule the realm of Makai and as a child, she was so strong to literally create and destroy dimensions at will? Oh you didn't? Well that's why).

Hell, Onechanbara, the game where it's main star is a woman who with a feathered boa, cowboy boots and hat and a bikini with twin swords actually has a complex story throughout it's series if people actually bothered to read it instead of believing it's just fanservice so fuck story and character.
Toning down the fanservice because a few people decided to see it that way and ONLY that way is a massive disservice and honestly is not worth it at all as well as stating a dumbass standard that I will feel personally ashamed for if it does happen(i.e. Why is Mortal Kombat X making it's women more realistic? Are we fucking talking about the same series where when you kill someone, they sprout 5 Rib cages, 3 legs and 10 femurs? Or the new series where even before the fatality, they can be set up as if they are already zombies, but the female proportions is too much!?)

My issue is limiting the marketing or how people intepret it, but removing things that otherwise makes no real sense to simply appease those that wouldn't give a shit otherwise(The lowering of female proportion in the article for MKX on Gamespot is OVERWHELMINGLY NEGATIVE).

Xhominid The Demon Within

i am a massive pervert but i also have dignity. i think a lot of people threw theirs away if they dont care what image they give to people.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/dignity

bearing, conduct, or speech indicative of self-respect or appreciation of the formality or gravity of an occasion or situation.

I still have plenty of respect for myself, hell, I have a HUGE amount of self-respect and I'm so much in tune with that I don't really give a shit what others think of me.

I haven't thrown away my dignity, if anything, my dignity is stronger than ever.

Soaring Zero

Embarrassed to play in front of others? That's funny. I couldn't even finish reading this crap. Do people really pay that much attention to the breast mechanics and shit? I have been playing this game since DOA3 and have probably played with those options TWICE. Aside from that I've just been PLAYING THE GAME! My god...I don't understand why DOA gets called out on this shit all the time when SCVI has a character creation mode where you can dress a medieval warrior woman up to look like a belly dancer. Really? And people are gonna give me shit because I like to see one of my favorite video game characters in a cute/sexy outfit every once and a while? Oh and like someone else stated previously, I'm fairly certain I could kick the living shit out the so called "player" who wrote this article.

I'm sorry for cursing.

VirtuaKazama

Standard Donor
News Team
I can't take Kotaku seriously with that article. Then again, Kotaku HATES the FGC in general.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD