DOA5LR La Mariposa's Carrera Cancel Breakdown

Lulu

Introduction.
I've actually been meaning to get around to doing this one for a while now since I'm currently maining La Mariposa.... so I won't keep you waiting any longer.

Getting Started.
Despite what it may seem like, The Carrera doesn't actually refer to Lisa running, the Carrera is actually her ability to shave some of the recovery off her moves and then break into a run.

These are two moves you can use to create distance and then cancel into a run however long or short you wish:

Back Flip :7::P::6_:

Hornets Sting :1::[h+k]::5::6_:

Let The Carrera Begin.
You can only carrera cancel from these attacks, and they all hit mid. Luckily each one shaves a nice amount of recovery from the kick it was initiated from and creates distance, assuming you're not backed up against wall ofcourse.

1.:7::K::6_: Backwheel
(Dis)Advantage On Block/On Hit: i16 (-15/+31)
Recovery Difference: +3
2.:6::6::K::6_: Drop Kick
(Dis)Advantage On Block/On Hit: i26 (+6/+23)
Recovery Difference: +12
Guard Break
3.:P::P::K::6_: Drop Kick Combo
(Dis)Advantage On Block/On Hit: (+6/+23)
Guard Break
4. While Running :K::6_: Drop Kick
(Dis)Advantage On Block/On Hit: (+6/+23)
Guard Break
5.:4::H+K::6_:Helicòptero
(Dis)Advantage On Block/On Hit: i12 (-19/Knock Down)
Recovery Difference: +7​

As you can see, you can't Carrera Cancel from punch..... which is weird because you'd think it would be easier. Anyway if you want to mix a punch into your carrera shenanigans then you can use the Drop Kick Combo.... which as it just so happens to be the only string you can Carrera cancel from aswel. The rest are singular mid kicks that give either give a deep stun or a nice knockdown

Conclusion.
Since I currently main this gorgeous butterfly.... I would greatly welcome anything you have to say or contribute to improving this thread...

Last edited:

Tones

Premium Donor
You should note the guard breaks aren't true.
Also note...
4k+f 6
and while running (so just dash and run in).

What are the uses of carrera?

Lulu

You should note the guard breaks aren't true.
Also note...
4k+f 6
and while running (so just dash and run in).

What are the uses of carrera?

What do you mean the Guard Breaks aren't true ?

Any way I have no clue what to do with the Carrera..... I mostly use it to cancel the hornets sting.

Tones

Premium Donor
The only true guard break she has is her PB.

You need to watch some of my matches then ;].

Lulu

Oh you mean if theres any guarantees out of the guardbreak.... obviously many moves don't great that much adavantage for a strike..... but when that fails I like to use throws that go active right at the end of the Guard Break stun.... its a fun gamble.

Tones

Premium Donor
It's not a gamble because there are no odds in your favour beyond them not putting in an input.

Lulu

It's not a gamble because there are no odds in your favour beyond them not putting in an input.

Well the know they are at disadvantage.... meaning they know La Mariposa can outstrike them..... so they would keep blocking. Is the perfect time to break out a Raw Throw. ;) when that stops working then atleast you can atleast try to get a counter hit from the Next "Pseudo Guard Break". I think thats a decent strategy.

I actually did manage to get a guaranteed hit off of a fully charged:1::[h+k]: Hornet's Sting..... but I only managed to land :236::P: barely in time..... but that was just against the AI. I still have to test it on myself and still have to test if its affected by range.

KING JAIMY

A lot of people tend to guard after they get hit by a guard break which leaves them at disadvantage. At least, a smart player will most likely do so since they realize they're at disadvantage. It's therefore actually pretty clever to do a throw after you guard break them which leaves you at +.

Tones

Premium Donor
That's not the case, other characters (at least Bass that I know of) has a bunch of moves which isn't frame advantage on guard break but that's exactly what I mean by tempo and rhythm @KING JAIMY. It's arguing terminology but what I mean to say is that i

t's not a guard break exclusive thing.

236p = -18 on block. I'd advice anyone to avoid that move.

I actually did manage to get a guaranteed hit off of a fully charged:1::[h+k]: Hornet's Sting..... but I only managed to land :236::P: barely in time..... but that was just against the AI. I still have to test it on myself and still have to test if its affected by range.
Comeon man that doesn't count!

Lulu

That's not the case, other characters (at least Bass that I know of) has a bunch of moves which isn't frame advantage on guard break but that's exactly what I mean by tempo and rhythm @KING JAIMY. It's arguing terminology but what I mean to say is that i

Comeon man that doesn't count!

LoL.... I still have to test it....
And you're right.... theres actually quite a alot of Guard Breaks that leave the one who initiated the guard break at a disadvantage.... including La Mariposa her self :236::P: is a guard break but she recovers so slow that it makes her unsafe....

I'm guessing they have some purpose in Tag mode since you can Tag Cancel when you stun the opponent..... assuming they programmed the guard breaks as stuns.

KING JAIMY

I was actually only talking about guard breaks which leave the offending player at an advantage:

A lot of people tend to guard after they get hit by a guard break which leaves them at disadvantage. At least, a smart player will most likely do so since they realize they're at disadvantage. It's therefore actually pretty clever to do a throw after you guard break them which leaves you at +.
I know I wasn't very clear in my wording, but if the player on offense is at frame advantage, a throw can be a wise decision (e.g. after Lisa's 6PPP).

Lulu

Allrighty then... about The Hornets Sting... I tested it on myself and the AI and it definitely guarantees Lisa's:236::P: .... it might be spacing dependent but its not strict.... if you can trap someone with this move then the cross body slam is guaranteed.
I also tested this against an opponent with a wall behind them and The Hornets Sting won't push Lisa away if theres no room for the opponent to step back.... and what this does is guarantee pretty much any move faster than 18 Frames.

Gruff757

Standard Donor
Y'all do realize she has the body splash gb right? Yeah it has a shitty hitbox (like a good number of her moves) but it still gives you free hits when they block it

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD