Community Learning from the Japanese Players

We've heard a lot of things about Japanese players in the community without really playing them, and the stuff said has been somewhat of a mixed bag. Recently a player from the fighting game community took a trip to Japan to see for himself, and he came back with constructive things to say.

The player learned that Japanese players are patient, and enjoy helping one another with their game. It becomes a more social activity instead of a creepy solo performance of practicing tech and withholding it for yourself in your bedroom.

"When I spent time [in Japan], they told me about how they train. It's very different from rest of world. I think that's why they have an advantage. They train (hundreds of fights), take a break/eat, then go at it again. And help each other."

A lot of people comment on the size of tournaments in the states for our game, and some people say it's because Dead or Alive is not the most popular fighting game, but the real case behind this could be a lack of effort from the community itself. With a million digital F2P, and a million physical copies out there, that doesn't really explain a thirty man tournament at a major.

Emperor Cow, Sweet Revenge and Hajin are some good examples of how the community should be doing things:

1. International Play - We're starting to see more of this, and this is great for community growth.
2. Guides, Tech Sharing - It doesn't always hurt to share what you know if you want the community to grow. A more knowledgeable community can equal a happier, and larger community.

I ask the community this: What do you want for the DOA community? How have you helped? How much does community actually even mean to you?

Perhaps we can learn a great deal from the players overseas, and while I think we as a community are doing better than we ever have; I believe now is the time to step it up a notch and go into beast mode.

Last edited:
I agree with the whole notion that a lot of US players tend to be unhelpful in comparison to the Asian groups.

In my own experiences, I tend to just act "crazy" or uncaring simply because I've grown tired of dealing with the negativity amongst the FGC, so I act stupid so I can at least make their heads hurt if they're gonna not be helpful.
Add on not being male, and it's a whole extra layer of headache and negativity I gotta deal with.

In my own experiences, I tend to just act "crazy" or uncaring simply because I've grown tired of dealing with the negativity amongst the FGC, so I act stupid so I can at least make their heads hurt if they're gonna not be helpful.
Add on not being male, and it's a whole extra layer of headache and negativity I gotta deal with.
So that explains the odd response when I asked who you were. You didn't even give me a chance to be negative. :p

When I was in my country I used to tell my doa-mates how to beat Brad's tricks, for example "Don't try to throw me after the headbutt because it is safe!" or "Use your fastest tracking low if I'm entering in LFT!" ... I always kept on mind two key reasons for doing it (to help).

One: if they get better, my limits will be pushed. I would have to find/apply different tricks which means I'll be becoming a bit better too as they do. And it is exactly why I need to became a competitive player.

Two: if they get better, community will become better as direct consequence. Community is just the integration of all their members IMO. Better members = better community.

It's no secret that the FGC as a whole in America is extremely unhelpful. The best of the best don't want to let go of success, thus, they won't share how they got successful in a game at the first place. Even casuals want to be decent a fighting game and even look up to some of the top competitive players. This is why training online with other players and especially locally with other players is extremely important. There is nothing wrong with constructive criticism, but also, don't be so smug about it. After all, games are meant to be FUN at the end of the day, and it's not fun getting beat constantly and you're not offering helpful advice about WHY I'm constantly getting beat.

Or when they advice isn't thorough enough to work on or when the advice is just plain vague. It's time we finally do something about it, though.

This is old news to me...that's how it's always been over there. Their culture is different than ours, competitively speaking. There is a mutual respect for other competitors regardless of skill level. Egos need to go on both sides of the aisle for the community to grow, and more importantly, have a good atmosphere. The newer players need to learn to ask for help and learn the game, and the better players need to stop being assholes and tearing people down and belittling people for not knowing as much. That's my two cents

I just got back from a 2-year tour in Japan. I played DoA5 online with Japanese players constantly. Unfortunately I never got a chance to play offline with any of them. There was pretty much zero lag all the time though, it was glorious.

One great thing about the Japanese players is they never call you a spammer, send you retarded angry messages, or kick you out of lobbies because you play a certain character. Not once. Also the top-tier players have incredible yomi. There were a handful of players that I could hardly touch. Their footises are unreal.

Unfortunately even the most amazing community can't guarantee a competitively popular game. I've been playing DOA since 2000 but never felt compelled to travel for a tourney... Even in DOA5 it feels like there's too much left to chance in any given match. To me it's not worth gambling travel expenses on.

On the other hand there's VF, which has PERFECT gameplay and an even deader scene. In that case I blame non-existant marketing and a boring roster. I'd like to think if they were to do DOA vs VF, with gameplay based entirely on VF5FS, it might put both series back on track... But I'm going off topic probably

Nah you're not and VF is still popular here in both America and Japan. the roster isn't boring it's just that VF doesn't need flashy stuff to get over. A lot of fighters these days rely on flash to get over.

The roster in vf IS boring, most of the chars look like generic fighters, Kage the generic ninja, el blaze the generic lucha guy. That's how most people see t, to be honest it took me a while to get into vf mainly cause of that, basically imo everything in vf besides the gameplay itself needs a lot of work.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD