Learning Helena

vicente

Hi, I'm average with Helena, currently ranking B+, still I feel that I have barely scratched the character possibilities, however I feel there's a lack of resources and info about how to learn to play her properly or really informative videos about her, and most of the videos in this forums are really old, can anyone please point me in the right direction?

Pictured Mind

Hi, I'm average with Helena, currently ranking B+, still I feel that I have barely scratched the character possibilities, however I feel there's a lack of resources and info about how to learn to play her properly or really informative videos about her, and most of the videos in this forums are really old, can anyone please point me in the right direction?

There's tons of people who can help you. What are you having trouble with? Do you have some videos somewhere so we can point out what you're doing right/wrong?

vicente

The thing is that I'm not sure if i'm doing anything wrong, overall I'm doing fine but I believe that mostly it's because most of the people I fight are not too good. Are there some pro Helena players that regularly post / stream Helena vids that I may learn from? I miss this the most, since I tend to learn characters from vids of pro players in other games, hopefully when DOA5LR is released there will be more.

There's tons of great info here but it's a bit too scattered in many threads and posts. I wish there was a Helena newcomer guide that had a summary of her best strategies, moves, combos, and so on. I'm mostly a 2d fighter but with DOA5LR I want to take it seriously and the thing is that Helena, like all 3d fighters, has so many moves and options that I'm a bit confused if I'm playing her right.

ninjaguy446

The thing is that I'm not sure if i'm doing anything wrong, overall I'm doing fine but I believe that mostly it's because most of the people I fight are not too good. Are there some pro Helena players that regularly post / stream Helena vids that I may learn from? I miss this the most, since I tend to learn characters from vids of pro players in other games, hopefully when DOA5LR is released there will be more.

There's tons of great info here but it's a bit too scattered in many threads and posts. I wish there was a Helena newcomer guide that had a summary of her best strategies, moves, combos, and so on. I'm mostly a 2d fighter but with DOA5LR I want to take it seriously and the thing is that Helena, like all 3d fighters, has so many moves and options that I'm a bit confused if I'm playing her right.
If you can give us a video of you playing against someone, then it'd be much easier to help you. You can upload a replay to youtube in the game and then post it here.

What console are you playing on. If you're looking for the best Helena (or most successful), right now, I'd say XCaliburBladeZ.

vicente

Huge thanks for pointing me to XCaliburBladeZ, lots of vids to check out, any others?

I'm currently playing on ps3, though I will move to ps4 next week and probably to steam when it's fully working. I want to study pro vids before I post anything of mine, since right now I'm playing just with the basics and not much more, still I will probably ask about stuff I see in those vids that I don't understand completely.

ninjaguy446

Huge thanks for pointing me to XCaliburBladeZ, lots of vids to check out, any others?

I'm currently playing on ps3, though I will move to ps4 next week and probably to steam when it's fully working. I want to study pro vids before I post anything of mine, since right now I'm playing just with the basics and not much more, still I will probably ask about stuff I see in those vids that I don't understand completely.
I highly suggest that you post it even if you're pretty basic. It'd save you some time and help you improve more since we're telling you what you're doing wrong.

Black Mamba was good, but I'm not sure if he still plays. Most of his videos are from Vanilla but it still applies. Requiem is great. ElectrifiedMann plays her too.

Rapham0n

There's tons of great info here but it's a bit too scattered in many threads and posts. I wish there was a Helena newcomer guide that had a summary of her best strategies, moves, combos, and so on.
THIS^
Unfortunately this is the case with most characters in my experience. The information that new players are looking for is just way too scattered. It would be great to have a "[insert character name here] for beginners" guide for each and every character, where the guide contains all of the information that a new player (be it a new player to the game in general or a player just looking for a new character to main or sub) is looking for. It would be best to have such a guide in either PDF, google docs or text form, or if it is in forum post format then all the information should always be added to the first post. That way players won't have to read through 500+ posts just to find that one thing they are looking for. (This is currently the main problem with most of the character information. Most of the time new stuff does not get added to the first post because the thread starter/topic creator goes AWOL or gets lazy.) It would also have to be constantly updated for any balance patches that come out, and it might even need to be separated into different sections for last-gen and current-gen consoles if TN decide to stop releasing patches for the last-gen version.

A beginner guide should be just that - a guide that contains enough information on the character to get new players started, but not so much in-depth or advanced information as to overwhelm the player.

Lulu

I dropped Helena and Ayane for the very same reason, as a Tina/Mila player.... I'm use to having one or two moves each having a simple purpose, those just so many things you can do when you have one of almost everything and it becomes a whole lot easier to experiment.
Helena on the other hand has like a Critical Burst three Critical Bursts, their all mid punches obviously but she whips them out of the blue from different stances, shes also got multiple launchers one puts her in Bokuho the other Turns her around..... I just get all turned around in my head when I finally land a CB and then BOOM ! Helena's facing the wrong way, or shes in Bokuho.....I can keep track of what my opponent is doing and which launcher I should use in which stance at the same time....
Helena is a fabtastic character though, shes fatter than all the girls except for Rachel and her Juggles aren't affeced by the opponents weight as much as other characters, shes got a sweet gimmick, a ceiling/launch throw, crazy mix ups, a passable execution barrier, And decent speed and stuns, she just needs solid knock back attack, well she doesn't actually need it... I just want her to have one.
But I doubt I'l be using her again though... not until improve my multi tasking skills.
I've been taking things slow with simpler Characters.

HK_Solenerro

Hey everyone I'm just posting to see if you all can critique my Helena and give me some tips on what I can do better.
So here is a video of me playing in tournament at TFC feel free to give me any feedback that you think will help.
URL to my match
Thank You In Advance
Solenerro

At the very start, :3::3::P: and finished the string with :P:. :3::3::P::4::P: would've been a better option since it puts Helena in her BKO stance and left your opponent stun to wack up more damage. :P::P::P: right after the launch was alright, but you had better options, like ending it with slaps(:3::3::P::4::P:), or :236::P::K::P:.

At 0:32 instead of doing another :8::P: when Lei Fang was in critical stun, CB, :7::K: or :8::K: would've been better launchers for mixups if that's what you were going for.

At 0:47 during her throw loop blender, :1::K::2: would've been a better poke stun (if that's what you were going for) since it also puts Helena in BKO stance for more mixup options.

0:48 at the :K::K: string. If the first two hits are blocked, you can also try, :K::K: delay:K:

0:58 right after the sweep(BKO :2::K:) hold down to enter BKO stance to continue pressure. Example, you can do another sweep, BKO :6::P::P:, BKO throw, etc.

JetLag83

I've been learning Helena for a few weeks now.. I never really played as her but I have been enjoying using her lately.. Her combos are beast once learned properly. Just cleared Champ difficulty with her this afternoon :D

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD