DOA5U Leifang help for a Leifang beginner

StrikerSashi

Premium Donor
Read over this.

Realize that a lot of your amazing tools are ridiculously unsafe (someone block your 3P+K and you lose 80+ free).

Study your opponent and try to detect their habits.

Make the other guy scared of pressing buttons with your stupid strong crushes and then stop using those crushes and reset pressure or sneak in a throw.

Use Unshu like you would any other parry. Defensively in anticipation of an attack when you're at frame disadvantage but not unsafe. Unshu offensively is risky and gimmicky and will only work consistently if the other guy doesn't know the matchup. It's not easy, but it's possible to react to Unshu transitions and throw them before a followup can come out. Change what to use depending on the character and player. If it's a Christie, for example, consider using Unshu more and if it's Rachel, consider using 3H more. And if it's Sarah, consider using 3P+K more.

Last edited:
So your saying depending on the match up, changes which parry I should use. So for Christie use Unshu, Rachel 3H, and Sarah her Sabaki?If so this is useful to know, and ty. We shoulr play sometime, my psn is ProjectBokuho but I'm making ProjectLeifang soon.

StrikerSashi

Premium Donor
Nah, it always depends on the player. Gotta change depending on what they're doing. I usually play first rounds hella safe and try to keep it going as long as possible to see how they play. The examples I gave are just based on how those characters work. Christie punch options are generally faster and scarier than her kicks, so you'd Unshu occasionally to force her to cool it down. Rachel has pretty much all mids, so mid parry gets the job done. Sarah gets wrecked by crushes 'cause most of her good moves are highs and the ones that are mids get beat by Leifang's crushes anyways.

I actually don't use a lot of parries and base my game around crushes. Getting baited is too risky for the reward. I usually only parry if I'm fairly certain what they're going to do and know that I can't crush in time from the frame disadvantage.

Nah, it always depends on the player. Gotta change depending on what they're doing. I usually play first rounds hella safe and try to keep it going as long as possible to see how they play. The examples I gave are just based on how those characters work. Christie punch options are generally faster and scarier than her kicks, so you'd Unshu occasionally to force her to cool it down. Rachel has pretty much all mids, so mid parry gets the job done. Sarah gets wrecked by crushes 'cause most of her good moves are highs and the ones that are mids get beat by Leifang's crushes anyways.

I actually don't use a lot of parries and base my game around crushes. Getting baited is too risky for the reward. I usually only parry if I'm fairly certain what they're going to do and know that I can't crush in time from the frame disadvantage.
Ok so im just have to change up my strategy, and not be so reliant on parries and or holds. I need to practice more with her crushes to use them correctly.

E-Mann

Leifang is an extremely technical character so you will have to resist any urges to just hit buttons lol. Be patient when using her and don't panick. Make your opponent afraid to attack you from the use of moves like her 44p or 6p+k parrys as well as regular parrys. ;)

Zephyrion

While this is true for every character in this game, the fact that playing Lei-Fang requires to adapt fast is even more relevant for her. While your game will most of the time, rely on stopping the opponent's offense through holds, parries, sabaki moves and crushes, you'll have to learn to be patient against more defensive character/players.Fiddling with her different strings, making use of her offensive holds, tick throwing will be extremely useful for you. What makes Lei-Fang hard isn't execution, but the fact you can't have a definite playstyle that will make you win. You'll just need to have a whole bunch of strategies, and a lot of character/matchup knowledge and be steeled for everything that will be thrown at you to really get results with her

E-Mann

And don't forget to practice expert holding. not only does it increase your reaction time it also will reward you heavily in damage and in mind-games. ^.^

NightAntilli

Yeah that's the thing with Leifang. You need to be able to read your opponents well. So basically, the more a character rushes you, generally, the easier it will be to beat them, if you know their character. By making the opponent afraid to attack you, you're just making it harder on yourself, because you don't really have much to work with against them. You can't do much offensively against an opponent that has a decent skill in defending either.

E-Mann

A very good Leifang player has plenty to get in on an opponent who is afraid to attack her and plays defensively. 66T, 236T, 2H+K, and especially 214p as it leaves you at neutral.

NightAntilli

Doesn't matter how good a Leifang player you are, she is not an offensive character.

66T:
Offensive hold that's very useful. No doubt about that.

236T:
Offensive hold again, also useful, obviously requires more skill than 66T, especially if you want to overtake a skilled opponent with the timing, and also want to take advantage of environmental damage and so on.

These offensive holds however, although nice, do not make them more special than any other offensive holds that other characters have. They are useful, and that's it. In fact, she NEEDS them to be any sort of real threat while on the offensive.

2H+K:
Ah. The extremely overrated low. The only real use it has is distance poking. Nothing else. It's the worst slow speed low of the entire game. Even on HCB it only gives +6 guaranteed which is a crappy stun. And it's linear, while most other lows of this speed are circular, and doesn't give a sitdown like so many other 2H+K. +6 gives you pretty much nothing to follow-up with since it not only pushes your opponent too far away, it only adds to the risk of being sidestepped, crushed or grab punished since Leifang is quite linear and her safe moves are mainly highs or extremely slow.

214p:
Great move for counter hitting since it's actually quite evasive and has decent range. Sure, it leaves you at neutral on block, but she has the same problem as above in that case, meaning following up after it puts you at risk.

She simply is not an offensive character, and it's reflected in her moves. Her OHs and crushes scream counter character, especially since if any of them is blocked, you're pretty much screwed. In DOA5 it was different, but in DOA5U she has to play defensively almost all the time. Like StrikerSashi said, her best tools are ridiculously unsafe, which means, you have to use them as counter moves, not while being offensive.

1P:
One of her greatest crushes and gives a good stun, except you're setting yourself up for a 50/50 mindgame on block. Free cancel/unshu and get grabbed, or use second P to compensate for that, and get grabbed if you were wrong?

3P+K:
Great crush and launches for great damage, but if it's blocked, prepare to lose a lot of health.

It's the same story as those two in general for quite a few of her other moves, or, you have to use highs with the risk of getting crushed. All in all, her strength is defending, and making an opponent too afraid to attack you will get you in trouble. If it's a knowledgeable player, they'll be looking to grab you, and your OHs go out the window. You need some attacks from the opponent to work with. Blocking opponents are trouble.

E-Mann

LOL someone's going out of there way to disagree. While a few of the things you stated may be true, from my own experience using her and certian Lei opponents I've come across she can definitely still be used in an aggressive way. Not having a lot of guard breaks may be one thing but the woman is safe on block in many different areas. That ITSELF can be used as a strategy to open up an opponent who loves to block and bait them to attack or grab. DOA amd its many possibilities lol

Zephyrion

Lei-fang doesn't have a great offense, that enough is completely true. But she can still exploit most of the mechanics of the game to be played agressively : just the delay strings/tick throw/pressure reset is still valid. As Night said, since her defensive game is so good, just throwing out safe moves to test the waters is good in itself : they put themselves at risk if they hit buttons, and if they don't, you can apply the strategies above. 5K2K, with its tracking mid is not half bad at this job, 5P strings, obviously, 3P strings... Again not great, but it will give you just enough edge to keep some momentum and squeeze hits from your opponent

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD