Let's say i want to get this game.

Sotherius

So, i have a xbox 360, and recently i got a hard drive for it to be able to play Ninja Gaiden Black. So i thought: hey, i should try other xbox classic games since now i'm able to.

And from what i researched, Dead or Alive 3 is one of those games i can enjoy on it.

Now, before i use any money i have on my wallet (since i'm saving for a ps4, and buying a game could mean having to delay my console for 1 more month), i have a couple of questions.

-It runs well on a 360?

-Does it have a good single player? since i'm probably never fighting anyone ever in this game.

Those are the most important ones, but how is the game in general, also, i noticed that the american version of the game has a jann lee cover and the japanese one has Ayane, so, i would like to know if buying the japanese version i would be able to put english subtitles and menus, and also be able to play the game on my machine.

And also, last question, from quickly looking at this forum, i noticed some preference over a "3.1" version and not liking a "3.2" version, so, assuming that online patches are not a thing, i imagine there are different physical copies of the game in different patches, so how i'm supposed to know which one i'm looking at when buying it from some online store that will probably not have this information available? And how getting the wrong version would make me enjoy more or less the game.

In general those are the questions.

Giannola

So, i have a xbox 360, and recently i got a hard drive for it to be able to play Ninja Gaiden Black. So i thought: hey, i should try other xbox classic games since now i'm able to.

And from what i researched, Dead or Alive 3 is one of those games i can enjoy on it.

Now, before i use any money i have on my wallet (since i'm saving for a ps4, and buying a game could mean having to delay my console for 1 more month), i have a couple of questions.

-It runs well on a 360?

-Does it have a good single player? since i'm probably never fighting anyone ever in this game.

Those are the most important ones, but how is the game in general, also, i noticed that the american version of the game has a jann lee cover and the japanese one has Ayane, so, i would like to know if buying the japanese version i would be able to put english subtitles and menus, and also be able to play the game on my machine.

And also, last question, from quickly looking at this forum, i noticed some preference over a "3.1" version and not liking a "3.2" version, so, assuming that online patches are not a thing, i imagine there are different physical copies of the game in different patches, so how i'm supposed to know which one i'm looking at when buying it from some online store that will probably not have this information available? And how getting the wrong version would make me enjoy more or less the game.

In general those are the questions.

I can only speak for the American or 3.0 version.

Does it run smoothly? Yes it does, there are some cases of frame rate issues or slowdown, particularly if there is a cinematic k.o (example a wall splat for k.o and beating the end boss) but in general it plays fine in my experience .

Does it have single player? Yes it has arcade mode with cinematic endings to unlock , time attack mode (both solo and tag) survival (solo and tag). it has tons of single player content.

As far as differences between the English and Japanese versions and whether they would play on your 360 I don't know, I only have the English version or "3.0" on a NA 360. Alot of others know more about the different versions than I do.

Forlorn Penguin

Premium Donor
It runs well on a 360?

I've never done it personally, but supposedly it runs fine.

Does it have a good single player? since i'm probably never fighting anyone ever in this game.

It has single player, but needless to say it's quite boring. You have all the standard modes like story, time attack, survival, etc. This is a fighting game though, so naturally you want to fight actual people. Fighting the AI is not satisfying and gets old fast.

i would like to know if buying the japanese version i would be able to put english subtitles and menus, and also be able to play the game on my machine.

Yes, the Japanese version (3.1) has English menus and subtitles. In fact, it was set to English by default the first time I ever booted it up. It will not run on a NTSC Xbox 360 though.

There are three different versions of the game.

3.0 = North American, NTSC copy (Jann Lee on the black label cover, Christie on the Platinum Hits cover)
3.1 = Japanese, NTSC-J copy (Ayane on the cover)
3.2 = European, PAL copy (Jann Lee on the cover (same as black label 3.0 cover))

You can tell them apart by either looking at the cover art, or reading the region code (NTSC, NTSC-J, PAL) which will be in the top right corner of the front cover art. The differences between the versions are both in gameplay and content.

-3.0 was incomplete and is missing a ton of costumes, the CG opening video, and even some character moves (such as Bayman's signature tank roll throw), as well as differences in frame data, hit properties and animations.
-3.1 gained many extra costumes, the CG opening, other cosmetic buffs, changes to the character move data, including added attacks and new animations, and a tweaked FSD system which the competitive players prefer.
-3.2 as far as I know is basically 3.1, but with the FSD system tweaked again, but in a way which competitive players didn't care for I think, and there might have also been a few additional character tweaks that I'm not aware of.

There's a complete list of the 3.0 to 3.1 changes here (it's quite extensive).

The version you want is 3.1, but this won't play on your 360. If you have an original Xbox, you can softmod it to disable the region lock (extremely easy to do) and be able to play all three versions of the game, as well as Gultigargar's DOA3++ mod. However I don't recommend getting the game at all if you will only be playing single player, unless you want to have it just to have it.

Last edited:

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
DOA3 doesn't run well at all on Xbox 360, I bought the hard drive too that allows game emulation but it's VERY laggy when playing DOA3, and the sound is strange in some instances, and then the game likes to speed up suddenly at erratic times; for example when playing at the DOATEC HK stage, if you knock your opponent out the window into the neon sign, the game will suddenly speed up and then slow back down as soon as the other fighter jumps down to continue the battle. If I were you, I'd just order DOA2 Ultimate, you get the original DOA1 for novelty and the remake of DOA2 which not only runs better, but has the four point hold system, a lot more costumes and content, and the visuals and actual game are way more brighter and lively than DOA3.

You also have to use the Dpad in DOA3, the analog stick won't work.

Last edited:

Gultigargar

DOA3 has some issues on the 360, but is what I'd consider playable for the most part, though there are two stages - the DOATEC stage and the Snow stage - where it slows down a lot, making the game hard to play. It has trouble emulating some of the graphic effects which means it won't display certain reflective surfaces properly. (Glasses, ice, Zack's reflective suit, etc.)

Regarding single-player, it has pretty much what you'd expect: Story/arcade mode, Time Attack with both single and tag teams, Survival for both single and tag teams, the King of Fighters-esque Team Mode, and a Tag Team mode. There are costumes and a single character to unlock, though noticably fewer costumes from the rest of the games.

Having played both 3.1 and 3.2, the free-stepping changes didn't make much of a difference casually outside of making it easier/harder to get away after being knocked up against a wall. I think as long as you avoid 3.0 you should be good.

As was mentioned, there is also DOA2U which runs flawlessly on the 360, so that's also worth a shot.

Sotherius

So, don't get DOA 3 unless i have a japanese original xbox or a soft modded original xbox is the answer?

Ok, i guess it is sad news for me.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
So, don't get DOA 3 unless i have a japanese original xbox or a soft modded original xbox is the answer?

Ok, i guess it is sad news for me.
I wouldn't, in comparison to DOA2 Ultimate it's not worth it, less content, less smooth, and overall not as fun imo to the DOA2 remake. I know a site where you can get the game(s) dirt cheap though. I got my copy of the game for $2.81 there, and it was in great condition. You can even get DOA3 there too for only $2.98.

Sotherius

I wouldn't, in comparison to DOA2 Ultimate it's not worth it, less content, less smooth, and overall not as fun imo to the DOA2 remake. I know a site where you can get the game(s) dirt cheap though.
How good are we talking about here on the DOA 2 remake? i know it would be more right to do that question in the doa 2 forum, but i guess i can use the oportunity.

Because i've been wanting to build on my DOA collection, and well, DOA 5 LR i already have (and i'll get the ps4 version once i get a ps4). I don't have a 3ds yet, so no dimensions, the first dead or alive looks atrocious. Dead Or Alive 3 not only looked really good (it seems to be the best looking on its artstyle, since i believe doa 4 characters look terrible), but it seems that it is one of the fan favorites in general, but it seems i can't get a goody copy of that.

So, how good DOA2 Ultimate is on a 360? I've heard it doesn't have 16:9 aspect ratio options, so, it will stretch or give me just black borders on the side? (please say it is black borders), does it have enjoyable campaign?

Also, i don't believe giving me a place to buy would help that much (it is possible though), since i live in Brazil.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
Yeah, the game doesn't really stretch or anything, at least not from what I see on my screen, and I don't remember any black borders. The modes are really fun:
☆Tag and solo survival mode with ALOT of items to collect for your in game collection, with common, uncommon, and rare items that take quite a while to find, which keeps you busy. Finding all of a characters' items from a set will unlock their costumes, so you won't have to do arcade to unlock them.

☆The arcade mode or shall I say story mode is entertaining too, quite a bit of cutscenes(Rather messy imo) and a lot of replay value. You can do this mode to unlock costumes, but you will have to do all the difficulties to unlock all of a characters costumes. If it's a male I think you only have to go up to normal, while girls like Ayane require going up to hard for her last few costumes.

☆A gallery mode where you can view in game pics of the girls. Also a music type mode in the settings menu that lets you listen to all the music in game.

☆The stages and gameplay are all solid, and it's entertaining seeing how your main character had started out with their movesets.

Overall it runs well on 360, just as good as DOA4 imo, so I say it's worth it. It'll definitely keep you busy and it's a fun break away from DOA5LR. ....Sorry if I typed alot, just talking about the game is exciting XD

Sotherius

So the thing i read about doa 2 u running slower on 360 is BS then?

Also, looking at prices, this thing... is expensive, fug.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
Running slower?? Yeah that must be a mistake, the game runs very smooth when I play it, DOA3 is the only game honestly that runs somewhat slow. And you sure you don't want a link for the cheap copy? The site sends to other countries besides the US as well, and the shipping charge is only I think $3 to other countries making the game only really $5-$6 in total, maybe even just $2-$3 with free shipping(if it applies to you) if you're fine with it taking a week or two to get it like I do.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD