Levels of Fandom

Mailifang

The players are the very reason why "this game" in particular is as good as it is in comparison to all of the pre-demos and betas. If it were not for the players giving numerous amounts of feedback to Tecmo about how this game is, Dead or Alive 5 would be one crappy ass fighter in general (we all know what numerous issues there were in the betas).

You can't seriously say that fans are the main reason why this series (or other fighting game series for that matter) is what keeps the games producing. Fans are not why games recieve balance updates, the players are. Games such as fighters are sold very well because of both fans of the series and the players. There is no "Fans > Players" or "Players > Fans". It has to be a balance of both. There are too many games out there that make great of examples of what I'm talking about, fighters, sports, shooters alike.

Most of the people that have been playing this series for so long are a combination of a fan and a player (and that list is too damn long to name). I know I'm definitely both. Yeah this game has a larger fan base than an actual player base. But with DOA5 being a solid fighter, the player base can potentially increase. Especially when other players can demonstrate how well this game actually is.

I agree with you.I'm a player and a fan Being a player does matter.How a game plays keeps you invested in the series .But from a business stand point,meaning dollars and cents it is the "fans overall" and not the "competitive players"(notice how I was more specific in applying a tag) that the company makes the bulk of its profits.The competitive scene and its "players" keeps the game alive and supported as far as playing the game. But a game needs a fan base as a whole to sustain it financially. Without the fans you wouldn't have a game that a competitive scene can be built around. Nor would you have enough "players" to care about the game play in order for the company to make game changes, be patched, made better, or improved upon.

If you just based the sales on the number of players who play in tournaments and play online companies can't and don't profit off of that.

Prince Adon

Best in the World!!!
Premium Donor
I'm a doa fan since DOA1 first came out in arcades. I care about both online and offline content. Single and multiplayer. Whoever say that one isn't as important as the other is just ignorant. But it's okay if you prefer one over the other. I'm also a COMPETITIVE player and care about competition. Doesn't make me less of a fan. If I didn't love DOA I wouldn't care to play it competitively. The same can be said for ANY competitive player. I'm sure most competitive players wouldn't care to put so much time into a game and play it competitively if it wasn't for love of the game.

Now if you talking about pro players that is different story that I don't care to get into. But a don't have just one label.

Mailifang

Wow....so you're streotyping....wow..just wow dude....that is kind of assholish...not every FG player thinks that way. The same goes for a fan too. I know casual SC players who love high level SC player. Also some benefited from becoming a more serious game with depth. Hell Namco, for example, is making a push for an EVO spot next year for TTT2. Even NRS understands how important those players are.

So please take your stereotypes and generalizations somewhere else dude.

So far only you and Skilletor are the only two people that are annoyed by my comment so I obviously hit a nerve. Unless you an prove otherwise I'm standing by my opinion no matter how much you disagree with it.

I'm not saying every FG player thinks that way.But most in the competitive scene do. Every stereotype an generalization is based on some truths. They may not apply to everyone but they apply to some people.

Awesmic

Standard Donor
Wow....so you're streotyping....wow..just wow dude....that is kind of assholish...not every FG player thinks that way. The same goes for a fan too. I know casual SC players who love high level SC player. Also some benefited from becoming a more serious game with depth. Hell Namco, for example, is making a push for an EVO spot next year for TTT2. Even NRS understands how important those players are.

So please take your stereotypes and generalizations somewhere else dude.
Actually, Mailifang is a dudette.

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
Without the players, "no one" would have a solid game series to continue investing money in. A player and fan base are what keeps cash flow going well for games. Look at Capcom, which has the largest player and fan base than any other fighter out there.

Mailifang

I'm a doa fan since DOA1 first came out in arcades. I care about both online and offline content. Single and multiplayer. Whoever say that one isn't as important as the other is just ignorant. But it's okay if you prefer one over the other. I'm also a COMPETITIVE player and care about competition. Doesn't make me less of a fan. If I didn't love DOA I wouldn't care to play it competitively. The same can be said for ANY competitive player. I'm sure most competitive players wouldn't care to put so much time into a game and play it competitively if it wasn't for love of the game.

Now if you talking about pro players that is different story that I don't care to get into. But a don't have just one label.

I too been fan since DOA1. And I was mostly referring to he pro players or highly competitive players. I just find it funny that a few people felt what posed was insulting to them. I figure the only way you will feel insulted if..

A) You fit the description of what I listed.

B) You just feel that I am opinionated ass who needs to shut up because you disagree.

Could I have worded my arguement better?Sure. Did I know I was being baited by "trolls"? Kinda. My intention was not to insult anyone.And I'm sorry if I did.Most if not all members are fans in their own way or they wouldn't have joined the site. But at the same time there is still and US and Them mentality in he fan base as a whole. And one side is definitely more vocal than the other.

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
You have elitism in practically every FGC, that's nothing new at all. Even players who are high level can be fans of a game they play competitively. Master is a perfect example of this.

Mailifang

Without the players, "no one" would have a solid game series to continue investing money in. A player and fan base are what keeps cash flow going well for games. Look at Capcom, which has the largest player and fan base than any other fighter out there.

Lets look at Capcom.

*Capcom was a well known company before they made fighting games or even Street Fighter.

* Back when SF 2 came out it in the arcades was a hot broken mess.Yet people loved playing the hell out of it because it was a fun game.

*Because it was a fun ass game it developed a fan base of people who just liked playing the game.

*From that rabid fan base. Arcades had to meet the demand and order more arcade cabinets.Making Capcom even more money.

*Out of the fan base came a a small group of "players" who devoted their time at mastering the game through competitive play.

*These "players" built a competitive scene around the game because they loved playing it at a competitive level.

Over time Capcom made more iterations of the SF series and other fighting game series because business wise fighting games in the arcade scene were popular as hell. Now this was before the the popularity of the internet and online play, and game patches. And even EVO for that matter.

My point is you have to have people like the game in the first place and become a fan before they even want to become a "high level " player.

The real reason why companies advertise their games at Evo is beccause the attention the matches get on streams and the internet. Viewers for the UMVC3 and SF4 AE matches alone reach the 100,000 to 200,000 watcher mark. The "players" may set the standards and high level play may entertain he masses enough to want to buy the game.But most of those people end up just being casual players or fans of the series a a whole.

I'm an ol skool player.My days playing these games started out in the arcades. And when they came to consoles I've supported them as a fan and a player.

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
I'm an old school player as well. You going into more detail about what I already said is suppose to prove what, exactly?

MasterHavik

So far only you and Skilletor are the only two people that are annoyed by my comment so I obviously hit a nerve. Unless you an prove otherwise I'm standing by my opinion no matter how much you disagree with it.

I'm not saying every FG player thinks that way.But most in the competitive scene do. Every stereotype an generalization is based on some truths. They may not apply to everyone but they apply to some people.
You didn't hit nerve, but you straight disrespected me and other people. You can have your opinion, but slamming guys who like to take the game serious is going too far. And those stereotypes and generalizations are still bad. You can't say them if it's only a few. Also....wait...you don't have the game....why the hell are you?
Actually, Mailifang is a dudette.
lol. Zack doesn't approve. He'll break her back.

Mailifang

I'm an old school player as well. You going into more detail about what I already said is suppose to prove what, exactly?

Well if your not buying what I'm selling to begin with.Then I don't think you really care what I'm trying to prove.But my point is backed by numbers. Fan support = more money. The competitive "players" alone do not support the game financially. You need a fan base who just like the game. And only a small percentage of those fans will become high level "players" to the point they care enough to bitch and moan over how the game plays.

Not every Baseball fan even plays Baseball. But they know about the sport to enjoy watching it and investing in it by going to games and buying the merchandise.The Baseball "players" support the game of Baseball by playing the sport.These players get paid high saleries. So how do the owners pay these saleries? From the support of the "fans".

There are not that many pro players in baseball to support the game itself.

This same logic applies to fighting games as well. I know a lot of people who have played and enjoy playing fighting games but most of them don't take them seriously enough to play it at a high level. But they do support the community by buying the games and the merchandise(ie comic books, posters, art books, action figures,ect).

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
I never said that the players are what make things go round. Read my posts carefully again. I'm just going to say good night, lol. Apparently things just went through one ear and out the other.

Mailifang

You didn't hit nerve, but you straight disrespected me and other people. You can have your opinion, but slamming guys who like to take the game serious is going too far. And those stereotypes and generalizations are still bad. You can't say them if it's only a few. Also....wait...you don't have the game....why the hell are you?
lol. Zack doesn't approve. He'll break her back.

I didn't disrespect you. You just got offended.I didn't even mention you or anyone else by name. That is all you. And that is not my problem.It was not my intent to offend. Nor was what I stated a personal attack. So far only you and Skilletor are the ones truly upset. I'm sorry if you got offended but I'm not taking back what I posted. I don't even know you to disrespect you. But so far you are making a really bad first impression.

Actually I do have DOA5 and all the other DOA games(except for dimensions on the DS). I also own the DOAXVB games that quite a few "players" hate on.I own DOA action figures and art books. And because of my DOA fangirlness and many other "fans" supporting DOA as a whole the "players"(which also includes me) can talk about tier lists and high level strats.

I never said that the players are what make things go round. Read my posts carefully again. I'm just going to say good night, lol. Apparently things just went through one ear and out the other.

No I heard you loud in clear. I even agreed with you. You just don't agree with all I had to say.And then when I supported my case with solid argument you then try to make me look like I'm the one with the hearing problem.

Well....whatever.Goodnight ^_^.

MasterHavik

I didn't disrespect you. You just got offended.I didn't even mention you or anyone else by name. That is all you. And that is not my problem.It was not my intent to offend. Nor was what I stated a personal attack. So far only you and Skilletor are the ones truly upset. I'm sorry if you got offended but I'm not taking back what I posted. I don't even know you to disrespect you. But so far you are making a really bad first impression.

Actually I do have DOA5 and all the other DOA games(except for dimensions on the DS). I also own the DOAXVB games that quite a few "players" hate on.I own DOA action figures and art books. And because of my DOA fangirlness and many other "fans" supporting DOA as a whole the "players"(which also includes me) can talk about tier lists and high level strats.
Well i misspoke i meant you disrespected FG players. I said me because I'm kind of one of those guys. I'm not really upset. I can't be when I'm listening to Sonic remixes, reading shitty fanfiction, and about to tackle some college reading. I'm not mean. Don't assume things like that. I am offended, yes, and I thank you for saying sorry. It makes me feel better. And who the hell is telling you take back what you said? I said you can have your opinion. I'm not a guy that likes to make bad first impression. So I'm sorry for my tone. But let me give you a little spill ever since Doa 4, I was 12, I have taken fighting games serious. I mean...I argee with you that some of the FGC is asshole. I was a fucking kid heading to tournaments for SC4 with my mom and sometimes my dad. I was only 14 at that time. I was kind of afraid to be in these dark places with men in colleges, grad schools, or have jobs/family. But as I grew and developed my FG knowledge for multiple games like SC4, BB, MK9, Brawl and etc. These same guys who used to act like assholes to me became mentors and were always willing to helping me if I was having trouble with something. I'm telling you this story because I grew up in that kind of assholish environment. And I find it rude to have someone just grouping them together and bashing them. You can have your opinion though.

Mailifang

Thanks for sharing,and I mean that. I'm not gonna lie,A lot of my opinions tend to piss off and alienate those who are apart of the FGC status quo. If you feel the FGC is one of the reasons you play or enjoy fighting games than I will not and can not take that away from you.

My past and present in the FGC is not so positive. I have personal hatred for "bullshit".Especially if its thrown at me and it must be taken as law. Once I went through my "humbling" within quite a few fighting game communities .I realized that as a whole it is just a bunch of guys and gals(mostly guys) who enjoy playing their games at such a high level that they get ostracized for it. I can relate get hate msgs in my PSN mail box even as I type this up.Hell even Sirlin wrote a big as rant... er journal about high level play basically telling the casual player "F.U! I'm gonna play how I want to play and if you don't like you can kiss my ass!". Well that's what I got out the Playing to win article that he wrote :cool:.

Still most high level players have an inferiority complex when it comes to their love of laying the game. And some of these players want to hold on to their L33Tness. So they set standards so that only select group of players can and will follow. But thats a whole others discussion. But as far as me and you I have no beef with you personally.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD