Levels of Fandom

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
Thanks for sharing,and I mean that. I'm not gonna lie,A lot of my opinions tend to piss off and alienate those who are apart of the FGC status quo. If you feel the FGC is one of the reasons you play or enjoy fighting games than I will not and can not take that away from you.

My past and present in the FGC is not so positive. I have personal hatred for "bullshit".Especially if its thrown at me and it must be taken as law. Once I went through my "humbling" within quite a few fighting game communities .I realized that as a whole it is just a bunch of guys and gals(mostly guys) who enjoy playing their games at such a high level that they get ostracized for it. I can relate get hate msgs in my PSN mail box even as I type this up.Hell even Sirlin wrote a big as rant... er journal about high level play basically telling the casual player "F.U! I'm gonna play how I want to play and if you don't like you can kiss my ass!". Well that's what I got out the Playing to win article that he wrote :cool:.

Still most high level players have an inferiority complex when it comes to their love of laying the game. And some of these players want to hold on to their L33Tness. So they set standards so that only select group of players can and will follow. But thats a whole others discussion. But as far as me and you I have no beef with you personally.

You have elitism in practically every FGC, that's nothing new at all.

Stikku

Yeah that's not a true fan. You are bashing a game that you have never even played. Why you arnt banned is beyond me.
The real question is why everything I say gets so right up your arse that you get so bothered as you do.
You can keep going ahead and thinking DOA5 is good, cause it isn't. It's a downgrade from DOA4, it's a sham against Virtua Fighter - and it's not going to hold an ounce of actual longterm playerbase tournament value. This isn't the DOA anyone was waiting for.
Deal_with_it_dog_gif.gif

If we should make a proper ideal of what is and what isn't a fan of a video game, we can just go ahead and say a Fan is someone who enjoys the games and buys them, and continues to enjoy them and will likely buy the sequels simply based off of past experience and expectations.

That would work fine and dandy in the case of TeamNINJA games if not for TeamNINJA's super-serious restructuring in 2008 that essentially gutted the team. It's pretty much a new team since 2008, which is kind of misleading and kind of a scam when you really think about it, seeing as they didn't change the name of the Team or disband the Team altogether to create a new studio. The new Team has next to no knowledge of how to continue these games, which is self evident in Ninja Gaiden 3, Dead or Alive: Dimensions, and Dead or Alive 5. (The strangest part of this all is that the new TeamNinja made DOA:D, which was actually a pretty good game having nearly every DOA character to appear in a DOA game using something that looks and feels like the DOA4 engine. It had its flaws, but certainly not as many as DOA5.)

If anything, the above definition of a fan is TeamNinja / TecmoKoei's main market audience. That's usually how market audiences work for sequels. Generally, sequels aren't marketed towards people who never played the prequel - and rightfully so. The encompassing universe and story between each successive game that builds up the series' world is what keeps people coming back for more.

Just the same how Ninja Gaiden 3 was marketed towards fans of Ninja Gaiden (yet failing to deliver a "Ninja Gaiden" experience), Dead or Alive 5 was marketed towards fans of DOA (also failing to deliver a "Dead or Alive" experience) and both these games fail pretty miserably in actually achieving what they set out to do, unless TeamNinja's goal was to intentionally show the world how miserable they are.

In the case of DOA5, it was changed a lot. It was changed quite a lot. DOA5 was changed enough to make actual fans scratch their heads. DOA5 is no more a sequel to DOA4 than DOAXtreme is a sequel to DOA3. That might be an exaggeration, but it's more truthful than saying DOA5 is a proper sequel. It's not exactly in the "spin-off" category, but it's pretty close. Think, "fan-fiction."

WHht's with all the noise? DOA5 is a success, there will be more DOA. We win.
Checked MediaCreate or VGcharts lately? lol. less than 5k doa5 sold on its 4th week. Extremely doubtful that means 500k total. Lying seems to be a pastime for Tecmo and Team Ninja.

shunwong

I'm surprised nobody brought SC5 into the argument. Probably the most competitive-oriented soul calibur game. The worst in the series in sales.

Stikku

I'm surprised nobody brought SC5 into the argument. Probably the most competitive-oriented soul calibur game. The worst in the series in sales.
Although SC5 changed a lot from SC4 (and SC4 was a change from SC3), SC5 also featured new content altogether. SC5 is a prime example of a good competitive game. I would have picked it up had I owned a PS3 or 360. DOA5 doesn't really feature new content, and it's missing content that was in previous DOA games. Content like characters and costumes. SC5 snuck past that with making new characters to replace the ones that disappeared in the 17-in-game years between SC5 and SC4, but DOA5 sure the shit does not even attempt that.

Stikku

"More content" is not equal to "good game"
With such a silly quote, one might have expected an example that helped prove your dumb point.

I'll just jump the gun I guess.

DOA5 would have been a considerably "better" game had it actually had things like some form of Character or Costume customization right out of the box. DOA5 would have been considerably "better" had it actually had all of characters that fans enjoyed playing with. DOA5 would have been considerably "better" if had it more game modes.

DOA5 is in no way, shape, or form as something that would be considered "better" or "as good" as it should be, and the basis of it's "should be" expectations are how DOA5 shapes up in relativity to the 7 year old DOA4, as well as every other fighter released in the past 7 years.

It's not better, or even as good as any fighter released in the past 7 years. I'd say every fighting game since Street Fighter 2 actually has more appeal because DOA5 exists as it does. DOA5 is a mockery.

Raansu

With such a silly quote, one might have expected an example that helped prove your dumb point.

I'll just jump the gun I guess.

DOA5 would have been a considerably "better" game had it actually had things like some form of Character or Costume customization right out of the box. DOA5 would have been considerably "better" had it actually had all of characters that fans enjoyed playing with. DOA5 would have been considerably "better" if had it more game modes.

DOA5 is in no way, shape, or form as something that would be considered "better" or "as good" as it should be, and the basis of it's "should be" expectations are how DOA5 shapes up in relativity to the 7 year old DOA4, as well as every other fighter released in the past 7 years.

It's not better, or even as good as any fighter released in the past 7 years. I'd say every fighting game since Street Fighter 2 actually looks better because DOA5 exists as it does. DOA5 is a mockery.

I could give two shits about all that. The only thing that matters in a fighting game is the game mechanics, and mechanic wise DoA5 is a better game than DoA4. DoA5 has all the useless solo content that every other DoA had outside of ONE fucking game mode and its missing three characters(two of which no one fucking played and one of which is technically in the damn game.)

If you're going to trash the game on something so minor then gtfo.

Stikku

If you're going to trash the game on something so minor then gtfo.
If you're going to praise the game and overlook the little things that would help build up the bigger picture, get the fuck out. That ideology is the opposite of any definition or interpretation of "progressive."

Stikku

So DOA5 sucks because it apparently lacks offline content and costumes (constantly gets DLC) even though the game mechanics are better than it's previous iterations? Oh, okay. Just checking.
1. No one said that.
2. What you said was untrue.
3. Stop talking to yourself.

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
Yes you did lol, oh I left out character customization. Yeah...DOA is fine without that (would be a cool luxury but the game doesn't need it). You seem to care too much about smaller aspects of this game rather than the overall performance of the actual game.

Stikku

Yes you did lol, oh I left out character customization. Yeah...DOA is fine without that (would be a cool luxury but the game doesn't need it). You seem to care too much about smaller aspects of this game rather than the overall performance of the actual game.
You better read what I wrote again, then read both your posts again. You are being pretty dumb lol.

Furthermore, the overall performance of the game is equally as trashy as the exclusion of game modes, features, and character content that would show DOA5 being a contender in the FGC market, let alone a contender for simple fans.

I'm not expressly caring more about smaller aspects of the game, I'm just being stoic about the whole package that DOA5 represents as-is, gameplay and performance included.

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
I like how you actually went back to re-edit your post into a number format. LMAO I've had my laugh for the day.

I love it when someone tries their very best to defend a losing argument. Good luck trying to convince the community that DOA5 is a bad game because it "lacks offline content".

Stikku

I like how you actually went back to re-edit your post into a number format. LMAO I've had my laugh for the day.

I love it when someone tries their very best to defend a losing argument. Good luck trying to convince the community that DOA5 is a bad game because it "lacks offline content".
You act like I edited divine information out of it that would make me look silly. I just re-arranged the presentation of it. Holy shit dude, get a life.

EDIT: I edited a typo of "editing" to "edited"

d3v

Not every Baseball fan even plays Baseball. But they know about the sport to enjoy watching it and investing in it by going to games and buying the merchandise.The Baseball "players" support the game of Baseball by playing the sport.These players get paid high saleries. So how do the owners pay these saleries? From the support of the "fans".
Let me just point out the one, big difference between baseball, or any physical sport and fighting games. Not everyone has the chance to become a top baseball/football/basketball/etc. player, anyone can come from anywhere and become a top fighting game player, as Seth Killian has so eloquently put in his old Dom 101 article.

http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/why-street-fighter-rules-part-1.91154/

Long story short, stop simply being couch fighters and start going to events to support your game.

MasterHavik

Thanks for sharing,and I mean that. I'm not gonna lie,A lot of my opinions tend to piss off and alienate those who are apart of the FGC status quo. If you feel the FGC is one of the reasons you play or enjoy fighting games than I will not and can not take that away from you.

My past and present in the FGC is not so positive. I have personal hatred for "bullshit".Especially if its thrown at me and it must be taken as law. Once I went through my "humbling" within quite a few fighting game communities .I realized that as a whole it is just a bunch of guys and gals(mostly guys) who enjoy playing their games at such a high level that they get ostracized for it. I can relate get hate msgs in my PSN mail box even as I type this up.Hell even Sirlin wrote a big as rant... er journal about high level play basically telling the casual player "F.U! I'm gonna play how I want to play and if you don't like you can kiss my ass!". Well that's what I got out the Playing to win article that he wrote :cool:.

Still most high level players have an inferiority complex when it comes to their love of laying the game. And some of these players want to hold on to their L33Tness. So they set standards so that only select group of players can and will follow. But thats a whole others discussion. But as far as me and you I have no beef with you personally.
And just to set the record straight. I'm all for dlc costumes and dlc stages. I mean I would love to have some more Zack and Tina costumes. I'm just not here to go to tournaments. This goes for every fighting game I take serious. If I'm not having fun with the game, I won't get good at it. I loved Mk I got good at it. I loved SC4 and I was good at that game as well. So it's about playing game I like to have fun in it. Also those players you mention are the ones I try to keep my distance from them. Thanks for your kind words.

Mailifang

Let me just point out the one, big difference between baseball, or any physical sport and fighting games. Not everyone has the chance to become a top baseball/football/basketball/etc. player, anyone can come from anywhere and become a top fighting game player, as Seth Killian has so eloquently put in his old Dom 101 article.

http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/why-street-fighter-rules-part-1.91154/

Long story short, stop simply being couch fighters and start going to events to support your game.

I disagree.Because if "anyone" could do it more people would be playing most fighting games at a decent level. Most people don't want to put in the work,the time, or they are not as engrossed enough with video games to consider them more than a hobby. I will agree that you have a better chance of being competitive player now whether a person can become a "top player" or a consistent good one is debatable.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD