Looking for Kasumi training buddy/buddies!

xMiss_Ellax

You have to learn how to disguise her safety. It's not really a style issue. Kasumi is harder to learn if you want to compete or play technical with her. You can't just mash with her like you could in DOA4. She's unsafe on almost everything that you use of her's, but free canceling, string delay, & tools that creates space on block are what keep her from being punished. Not really a playstyle issue if you know how to play them. Marie Rose is more of a defensive-type character while Kasumi leans towards the offensive (as you know). It's best to learn how to play the spacing & footsies game with too since she's also a good counter-poking character with a few tools in ideal range that can reach.

For an example, 6PK is unsafe at -12 on block, but the distance that it creates keep her safe out of punishment range. Just you have proceed with caution after that because you're still negative on block.

PP6PK is the same variation as 6PK.

66K~K is -3 on block, which is safe. If the opponent blocks 66K, then follow up with the 2nd kick & you'll be fine. Worst case scenario is that they hold the 2nd kick.

3K is -8 on block. Most characters will not punish this out in open space since it also creates space, but grapplers will.

4H+K is arguably one of her best all-around tools because it can be used for just about anything from a sit-down stun, creating space (safe at -6) on block, bounding state, whiff punishment if used correctly, & guaranteed damage.

6KK is -7 (semi-safe). If this is blocked, then they will have to use a neutral throw 5T. That's when you throw break.

33K is a launcher. It's -16, but can't be throw punished in open space due to the pushback/space it creates.

I'm wishing that 6PP's pushback on block wasn't nerfed. That sucks, but I can understand why it was done since it was guaranteeing 66K like 3P+K, 66PP6P, PPPPP, 44PPPPP, & 3PPPP :(

Take a look at these 2 threads. They will help you greatly/ Let us know if you have anymore questions.

http://www.freestepdodge.com/thread...ny-doa5u-kasumi-comprehensive-breakdown.2921/
http://www.freestepdodge.com/threads/kasumis-beginner-tutorial.3533/

This is so helpful, thanks JDE! Watching those videos I finally know how to dash from an open space, yay. (Oh my lol.) I just had a decent practice session with @HurricaneRev, and we noticed that I'm not aggressive enough with my Kasumi. My problem is "guard breaking" (??) against players who are very defensive. I know so far as going for a couple of lows, perhaps a throw, but after that I'm lost!

We also noticed my moves "whiff" a lot because I'm too slow with the buttons; when I try to press them fast I make a loot of mistakes. I guess it's just a matter of me getting myself into training mode more often and literally perfecting some strings and combos rather than keep going online to practice!?

J.D.E.

Standard Donor
This is so helpful, thanks JDE! Watching those videos I finally know how to dash from an open space, yay. (Oh my lol.) I just had a decent practice session with @HurricaneRev, and we noticed that I'm not aggressive enough with my Kasumi. My problem is "guard breaking" (??) against players who are very defensive. I know so far as going for a couple of lows, perhaps a throw, but after that I'm lost!

We also noticed my moves "whiff" a lot because I'm too slow with the buttons; when I try to press them fast I make a loot of mistakes. I guess it's just a matter of me getting myself into training mode more often and literally perfecting some strings and combos rather than keep going online to practice!
Well, her guard breaks aren't what you would call reliable, honestly. Once you teleport, from 66PP6P+K with what ever follow up, you're committing to it. You have to use 66PP's guard break in a matter of reading your opponent. I would normally use 66PP6P+K to see how they would respond after the teleport so I'll know what I want to do next when I revert back to it as a resort. They've changed the stun animation of it, but can still duck the elbow with a low hold, 2P you, hold, & even sidestep it. The kick is for when they low hold to avoid your high, so you would look to see if they low hold or duck to use a mid of some sort.

Both of the guard breaks are risky, but 9PK is even riskier than 66PP. 9PK can be ducked for a low throw punish, sidestepped for punishment, & freestepped. Plus you're having to commit to the follow ups as well (same way as 66PP). It does however guarantee a combo if you land it to put them into a sitdown stun & then launch them, but that's the high risk vs reward scenario from it. For both, if they continue to block, if you can you can oboro throw them. You would use them against players who are too defensive, however.

Last edited:

The 4th phase

Standard Donor
throwing isn't always the best answer but if they keep blocking you don't have much choice.

also you for teleportation you can always change it.

Soaring Zero

Hi SoaringZero, I'm only on PS4 I'm afraid! If you're on there in the future be sure to add my PSN!

Aww...that's always my luck lol. Well I'll remember you when I finally join the PS4 crowd.

In regards to teleporting, I don't always go for 66PP due to some being able to duck the second hit and punish me but when I can consistently get it off, I tend to do 6P out of the dash due to being the fastest option. If they block and punish or try to knock me out of it I'll usually change it up and do P+K instead. You don't get much with it but it's safe even if they counter they'll just side step it anyway. I throw it out to just to remind people that I CAN do it.

Mokyu

Feel free to send me a friend request if you need someone to spar Kasumi mirrors. She's been my main since DOA3

PSN: xMokyu

Chapstick

I'll add you but I see you're in the UK. I'm in northeast US so we'll have to see how our connection is. You've got me really curious, who's your brother? o:

xMiss_Ellax

I'll add you but I see you're in the UK. I'm in northeast US so we'll have to see how our connection is. You've got me really curious, who's your brother? o:

No harm in trying a battle to see how it is, don't reckon we'll a flawless connection tho!

Lol I hand over the controller to my brother when I'm not doing so good. I get the giggles watching him play under my name. He doesn't mind. I hope.. xD Otherwise you can find him under NowNowEverySam on PSN :) He's no pro, but he gives a challenge to quite a few players.

We've both only just picked DOA up again, it's been a great bonding time!

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD