DOA5LR Mai Shiranui DOA5 Last Round Gameplay Discussion

CrudeRaven

Not sure if this is the right place to ask but does anyone have any advice to beat people (mainly mai kasumi rig or lei fang) who don't respect frames?
I normally play slower or unsafe fighters so I've always relied on frame data however I've been getting destroyed by extremely aggressive players that wont stop even if they are negative. (Not talking about greenhorns either. I mean people who have been playing for a long time.) Id space but that isn't a strong point of mine and I rarely get the chance to.
Any advice?

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
Getting familiar with their move strings that's giving you issues and block stun recovery can be a way to start on figuring out when to attack.

J.D.E.

Standard Donor
Hey guys. I just wanted to say what's up to everyone. It's been a long time since I've posted here. I just got back from Final Round. I played Mai in this tournament for the most part. I played Kasumi in one match, but lost with her which sent me to losers. Not that Kasumi is bad of course because she isn't. I just generally did well with Mai opposed to Kasumi probably because most of the time that I've been one DOA as of late has been spent on Mai more. I do think that her neutral is a tad better, but on the other hand Kasumi has better guaranteed situations. Kind of regret using Kasumi against Mona Vandermaal, but he's a really good player no matter how you look at it. His punishment & setups were on point. I only regretted it because I could have used more of the event to play her against people to get her even stronger. Especially against him. So props to him & his Tina play. Still going to use Kasumi.

However, I'll be using Mai more often offline. I placed 17th out of 60 players with her, just missing top 16. The outpouring of support of XCaliburBladez, Blackburry, & others at the event warrants it. They enjoyed it. So I'll keep using her from now on. She is my favorite KOF/FF character afterall. I've been playing her for 16 years or more. So I hope to play some of you when I have time & good luck to anyone else who's using her.

Last edited:

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
I think Mai is a lot better than Kasumi.

Better neutral, has great lows and knockdowns and even guaranteed knockdowns from 3PP and 4P214P

SilverForte

Problem is you gotta play Mai intelligently, can't just go in and mash buttons lol. She's kinda like Momiji in that regard. Don't really see her much sadly.

J.D.E.

Standard Donor
She's better than Momiji imo. She's a versatile character, but most people who play her now like her range more than any other aspect. I think her offense is good. 5T is her best throw. I value the throw a lot because it picks up the walls & breakable objects.

@SilverForte there are several people I've seen use her, but more than likely she's not a main focus. Sorwah uses her, I know. Calibur plays her, but he's more of an Eliot, Helena, & Rachel player. Then there are some who play her, but they just either haven't been able to go to a tournament or they just haven't had much match experience with her. Also, I appreciate the words & the support. Thank you.

There are some players who play KOF coming over & playing the game with her, too. The biggest thing is if people in here use her, they need to stick with her & devote time. Like really play her for a good amount of time. Not just 1 to 3 months. If you go to some kind of an event, play her until the very end to get her stronger (if this is what you want). Especially if you're new to the scene & decided to main her. Even if it means losing, it's how you get better. Same for Naotora. Same for Jacky, Ayane, Kasumi (although I'm starting to see her get more exposure), Hitomi, etc. This is why you don't see characters getting exposure because most of them use them for a split second instead of grinding with them. Look at Tina for an example. She was on the sidelines for a long time. Now, you're seeing more players who use her come & showcase how she's able to perform.

Last edited:

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
5T and 236T are Mai's best throws. 236T has outstanding range to catch people in footsies range, I tested this with great results in a FT5 with Hoodless awhile back. 63 damage into guaranteed knockdown sets up some nice oki. And you're getting basic stun launch damage from 236T as well.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
Problem is you gotta play Mai intelligently, can't just go in and mash buttons lol. She's kinda like Momiji in that regard. Don't really see her much sadly.
With Mai you can mash tho, I personally think everyone should have a pocket Mai. It doesn't take any effort to win with her, she has good combos, range, speed and her lows are very good and she has little problems opening people up. She has attacks like 4P+K, 236P, etc. she can abuse, imo she's the epitome of a skillgate character which is exactly what TN intended her to be like to get her to sell even more

Yeah you can't just spam her but overall I think she's pretty simple.

SilverForte

5T and 236T are Mai's best throws. 236T has outstanding range to catch people in footsies range, I tested this with great results in a FT5 with Hoodless awhile back. 63 damage into guaranteed knockdown sets up some nice oki. And you're getting basic stun launch damage from 236T as well.

Good to hear, I'll have to mess around with 236T more

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
With Mai you can mash tho, I personally think everyone should have a pocket Mai. It doesn't take any effort to win with her, she has good combos, range, speed and her lows are very good and she has little problems opening people up. She has attacks like 4P+K, 236P, etc. she can abuse, imo she's the epitome of a skillgate character which is exactly what TN intended her to be like to get her to sell even more

Yeah you can't just spam her but overall I think she's pretty simple.

Please refrain from saying these things like "it doesn't take any effort to win with said character". That is a very untrue statement with any character in the game.

Secondly, no you cannot mash with Mai and expect results. Online is vastly different than playing offline, you can catch players well enough between free cancels with good to great reaction time offline, whereas you cannot online due to heavy input lag.

Lastly, no you cannot spam her projectile or PB freely. Again online is online. Offline with practice, you can work around things like these. You HAVE to learn when it is most effective to use tools like these.

Mai is a pick up and play kind of character but she is not easy to master.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
Please refrain from saying these things like "it doesn't take any effort to win with said character". That is a very untrue statement with any character in the game.

Secondly, no you cannot mash with Mai and expect results. Online is vastly different than playing offline, you can catch players well enough between free cancels with good to great reaction time offline, whereas you cannot online due to heavy input lag.

Lastly, no you cannot spam her projectile or PB freely. Again online is online. Offline with practice, you can work around things like these. You HAVE to learn when it is most effective to use tools like these.
That's what I mean, I can see her working well even offline, I've watched tourneys and seen moments where when the clock was winding down they could fall back and use 236P or 4P+K. I also mean she's just simple to use, she can pretty much do it all xD but I know your point

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
That's what I mean, I can see her working well even offline, I've watched tourneys and seen moments where when the clock was winding down they could fall back and use 236P or 4P+K.

Yeah, because that was the right time to take that kind approach. But overall nothing will work that easily without giving it proper use. I've made this the case with tons of players for Ayane's 66KK4 on approach and they wonder why they never get anywhere.

My point is just that, you shouldn't say a character can win effortlessly in a game like DOA5 because every single character has to put in effort to do something well. Even Genfu.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
Yeah, because that was the right time to take that kind approach. But overall nothing will work that easily without giving it proper use. I've made this the case with tons of players for Ayane's 66KK4 on approach and they wonder why they never get anywhere.

My point is just that, you shouldn't say a character can win effortlessly in a game like DOA5 because every single character has to put in effort to do something well. Even Genfu.
I understand, but I assume it's safe to say that some characters like Mai and Gen fun require less effort in comparison to certain characters. Phase for example requires alot of effort and patience, Genfu in comparison doesn't

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
Genfu actually does, considering more players are gearing the game towards a more space heavy game until they can get big damage (like you're supposed to anyway), Genfu isn't exactly that great or good in the footsies and spacing category, so he does need to be patient about approaching. We are not playing the same in your face button heavy meta as we once did two-three years ago. More players are trying to up their neutral game, and that makes a character like Genfu work harder to get his ease of access damage.

Mai may take less effort at any level that isn't high level. And at a high level you're going to see one of two ways of people playing this character;

1) Agressive
2) Zoning

Trying to play a zoning heavy play-style is a lot harder than it is to be aggressive. You are trying to make absolute sure that you make little to no mistakes at all times. I can attest to this as I've honed this style since I've been playing the game. And Mai is traditionally a zoning character anyway.

I'm obviously known for my spacing and defense but that's not the only thing I do these days. I am far beyond that, I think JDE said it earlier that more players are focused on her zoning. I'm focused on the balance for both.

I can agree that when it comes to getting a lot of damage, characters like Mai and Genfu take less effort than most. But the same can be said about other top tiers and some high tiers as well. One counter hit from Ayane into launch usually equates to 80+ with ease in Last Round, compared to Ultimate and Vanilla. But this by no means says she's easy to play.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD