DOA5LR Mai Shiranui DOA5 Last Round Gameplay Discussion

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
Did anyone know that Mai's 4P actually crushes highs? Jabs to be specific, that's quite good. High crush straight into mix up or natural combo is quite superb.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
So some people are having issues with getting Mai's 9P consistently and just wanted to get something out.

The reason why you are getting 8P instead of 9P consistently with Mai is because the PS4 pad doesn't have a proper 1/3/7/9 input. You are manually hitting 2 directions to get a corner input, when you look at your PS4 pad you will notice that there isn't any actual diagonal input for you to actually "click" on. This is why when you do 33 inputs on a PS4 pad the game will register it as 32233 but DOA is generous enough to give you the 33 command follow up.

I've tested this on arcade stick not too long ago and I'm getting the input 100% of the time. On pad is less consistent and at times you'll get a 89P or a 8P9 while trying to properly input it as 9P but you are hitting 8 first likely. Same with Raidou's electrics except you can do a bypass with it by inputting it as 6[3P] because you are already hitting 2 on the PS4 pad. (Post for those having these issues.)

Last edited:

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
It also comes out way more consistently if you use the joystick, like for example if I'm doing her PL combo, I automatically just use the stick for a better chance at nailing it and it works 95% of the time if you don't rush it.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
Yeah if anything, I recommend you go to that route with the PS4's joystick to avoid that hassle that's on the directional pad layout for corner inputs and then immediately go back on directional for your standard gameplay.

Last edited:

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
Really understanding Mai's neutral more fluidly in now. Time to piece together a strong zoning game.

FYI, the fan is a pretty strong tool.

synce

I was playing as Alpha against CPU Mai and as I did wakeup H+K Mai stomped me and it said unblockable attack. Never seen this before, is it a system change or a Mai thing?

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
I was playing as Alpha against CPU Mai and as I did wakeup H+K Mai stomped me and it said unblockable attack. Never seen this before, is it a system change or a Mai thing?
That unblockable attack thing is just weird. If I do Kasumi's low kick hold and use her 2P light ground attack as a follow up while they're in the air, it'll say unblockable attack as well if I remember correctly.

Chapstick

I've found if you lean more towards 6 instead of 8 9P will come out every time like 68 works better than 86. It seems to be a Mai issue because I've never had a problem with any other characters' 7 or 9 inputs yet my muscle memory which works perfectly fine with Momiji and Kasumi's flips gives me 8P a lot with Mai. Idk if they made her input stricter on purpose or it was an oversight.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
One raw move isn't exactly added to any sorts of Mai issues but merely enabling the move at very inconsistent times such as after a PL or after buffering certain moves and going for 9P after or coordination overall. The inconsistency lie somewhere there. Even similar cases where if you input H after free cancelling very long recovery moves and immediately trying to buffer after will make nothing come out at all due to people trying to buffer the next move during the long animation still. Mai has a few moves that fall quicker in recovery and animation situations where it throws you off when trying to make proper inputs. The 9P situation was the added factor that people are "high likely" to hit 8 first before 9 because a general PS4 pad does not offer a proper corner input, but most cases it's over expecting on directional coordination with when you hit 9P due to this, so none is actually truly at fault here. Can't blame the pad because it was never designed specifically for fighting games but to be versatile on all gaming. Characters such as Momiji, Sarah, and Ayane for flips isn't a grand problems of things because their overall character makes it obvious with when to perform.

I've watch different streams of people trying to lab Mai and I see their inputs at the bottom with extra unneeded directionals unintended as well as the case where they hit 8 first and immediately P before 9, so it comes out as 8P9 almost at the same time but they wouldn't know that because it's instant when they input a command. Most people wouldn't look down there anyway because they are too busy trying to visually "click" than manually, which is understandable. People input 33s on their pad and it comes out as "322322363" but DOA is kind enough to give you the proper corner commands for 33 moves.

It's likely a general habit from players because they are used to immediately clicking a corner without worrying, nothing wrong with that. UncleKitchener's suggestion might be useful which is to hold 9 before clicking on anything probably instead of immediately going for a single click of 9 towards P.

Last edited:

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
Found something guys:

http://www.freestepdodge.com/media/dead-or-alive-5-last-round-mai-jump-tech.12035/media

Video description​

I found a simple way for Mai to get behind her opponent: Use 4P and then immediately press 9P for her to jump behind the opponent. You'll have to move a bit into the background to get the BT effect damage and attack wise tho. XD

The same can also be done from 3P+K on normal hit, except in this case you'll have to move a bit into the foreground so you can get attacks into BT status. Be aware that the opponent can't high hold for this to work which means you'll likely get more use from this when performing 4P. Furthermore, if done when your opponent mid holds or low holds, you'll go over their head and directly behind them them too. Neat! :-D This will only work from the 4P method however, 3P+K will only let you jump over from a low hold.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Again, the 9P thing is just a priority issue. It prioritizes 8P over 9P. It only happens if you do :8::9::P: not if you do :9::P: or :6::9::P:.

Yes, it's more prevalent on a PS4 controller because of the directional pad being a cross axis see-saw, but it can also happen on an arcade stick.

because the PS4 pad doesn't have a proper 1/3/7/9 input.

It's the same way with any joystick. There is no single switch for 1/3/7/9, it only has 4 switches 2/4/6/8 just like any controller.

SilverForte

By the way, 66K is a really strong move from Mai. Had some games with Bladez hours ago and it crushes highs, plus follow ups, and the initial raw start up move itself is a crumple stun.

She also leans back before preforming it, meaning she can avoid some moves entirely, not dissimilar to Ryus 4 p+k or Leis similar move.

UprisingJC

Just happened to notice that she's -9 if PP gets blocked.
Her undelayed PP2K can be intercepted by any mid or low string whose start-up frame is no more than 15 frames, and her undelayed 3P2K can also be intercepted by i11 mids.

Her PPP is nearly undelayable if you don't want it to be intercepted by people who don't respect anything.

*facepalm*

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
Unfortunately not everyone is going to react to 3P2K for interruption. Most cases has to be instantaneous and a i11 mid requirement. You gotta have nuts for most interruptions in the game. Similar case to Hayate's wind dash since it is possible to low throw those, it's the consistency and performance to do so when you need to. In most cases, if you want to get the best out of those you'd have to anticipate it in most requirements.

If anything, might as well block the low rather than a straight offense for interruption unless it's a really reactable move, however she even has other follow ups besides the low so you are looking at anticipation.

Last edited:

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
Also its risky since she has 3PP which is safe and 12i and then there's 3PK, you'll have to bold if you're willing to interrupt something when there's two other follow ups to watch our for.

UprisingJC

Also its risky since she has 3PP which is safe and 12i and then there's 3PK, you'll have to bold if you're willing to interrupt something when there's two other follow ups to watch our for.

Unfortunately not everyone is going to react to 3P2K for interruption. Most cases has to be instantaneous and a i11 mid requirement. You gotta have nuts for most interruptions in the game. Similar case to Hayate's wind dash since it is possible to low throw those, it's the consistency and performance to do so when you need to. In most cases, if you want to get the best out of those you'd have to anticipate it in most requirements.
I guess that's because people haven't got accustomed to her moves yet.

As I mentioned in one of the posts a few weeks ago, her 3PP/3P2K isn't that threatening.
People are not going to throw out 3PK in neutral unless he wants to do something different. Besides, 3PK only causes a knockback with damage no more than 40 and is unsafe on block so I don't even consider it.

3PP causes a knockdown with a small amount of damage, too. If one ducks to try to block lows, he gets free damage from a low throw punishment and only loses a minor amount of damage if hit by 3PP when ducking. Same can be said about retaliating immediately with i11 mids if a character has it. So on paper the relative safe option is to just block her 3P2K.

Last edited:

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
I guess that's because people haven't got accustomed to her moves yet.

As I mentioned in one of the posts a few weeks ago, her 3PP/3P2K isn't that threatening.
People are not going to throw out 3PK in neutral unless he wants to do something different. Besides, 3PK only causes a knockback with damage no more than 40 so I don't even consider it.

3PP causes a knockdown with a small amount of damage, too. If one ducks to try to block lows, he gets free damage from a low throw punishment and only loses a minor amount of damage if hit by 3PP when ducking. Same can be said about retaliating immediately with i11 mids if a character has it. So on paper the relative safe option is to just block her 3P2K.

Right agreed, but you also have different factors coming into play here. For one, you are going for the offense in risk of getting hit via CH extra damage in perspective, as well as getting in proper anticipation even if you would be correct in these scenarios because those are situations where it isn't exactly properly readable (as Rikuto mentioned). 3PK is totally a risky portion from the opponent itself since the whole general move is unsafe and granting the defense player the advantage and option to simply throw it out the window.

It's just the situational needs when it varies for proper retaliation (3P2K). Now mind you that the Mai player on the offline scene via Next Level over here isn't particularly strong as of yet (so far bladez is the only one), as well as her general moves are much much easier to deal within that environment that made me change certain ideas on properly retaliation and coming up with new ways to deal with certain situations and stepping moves (we definitely need more time for Mai completely still, but some of those moves are seen quite a bit and for certain tests). It's just the thought process on when you want to properly engage such things that isn't really in the process because you are trying to commence anticipation while trying to keep your concept in play. I always believed (especially in other fighters, Alex Valle mentioned similar) is that offense interruption against built-in strings isn't the grand option to solve problems 'unless you know for sure they will do it again, as their go-to option majority of the time, and has a huge gap for reading with proper mind concept that enables you to have enough time to think.'

Not to say I disagree with you, it's the requirement for such things as well as how uncommon/rare for it to happen, along with many other factors coming into play all at the same time. I mean, if the opponent keeps doing it, by all means...i11 mid.

Last edited:
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD