DOA5LR Mai Shiranui Theater - Video Discussion

GreatDarkHero

This is frame advantage
Premium Donor
Here in this thread you can post extensive game play footage, tech-videos, or combos for Mai Shiranui.
Members here can help each other analyze and review the material within the videos in order to make progression and optimize on Mai's game play. Hopefully, we will also be able to provide some a-cho or general Last Round arcade cabinet footage as well.

Here are a few videos to start off with:

Mai Shiranui Day 1 exploration completed by @DestructionBomb

@Force_of_Nature Mai Tutorial

We also will have two combo videos below from @UprisingJC and @HurtboxTV

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
Thanks for setting up this thread @GreatDarkHero! Cool stuff from UprisingJC & HurtboxTV there!

Helpful and/or informative videos are welcome, along with videos for critique. Basically this'll be a productive video thread.

KING JAIMY

I'll try to upload some offline matches against my sister later if she gives me permission to do so. I'm curious what I could improve upon.

GreatDarkHero

This is frame advantage
Premium Donor
The following videos will consist of me showcasing how to play Mai on DOA5LR in the most inept (and probably unimpressive) way possible.

EDIT:
@Rojikku @tekkin88 and @samuraihachi both created a lot of great content in a very short period of time! These videos are related to force-techs, pseudo-forces, and combos to keep in mind.

Last edited:

GreatDarkHero

This is frame advantage
Premium Donor
Hot Zone Death Combo

Footage from Nico (Japanese match; potentially old footage, however).

Mai vs Heavy Weight Combo Video

More Death Combos

UprisingJC

Had some matches eventually, but only 50 so far.
I still have some problem about how her offense works.

Her only mid/low that seems to be able to work is PPP/PP2K.
I used 6PP without cancelling into her 214P a few times in the video as I hoped to score a counter hit with it, but if I didn't, I would be -17.
If Mai has to cancel into 214P from 6PP that much, her opponent really need to worry about the pressure from her as he can attempt a wake-up kick afterwards. I'm not sure if there's any set that can get rid of wake-up kicks after a knockdown by 214p.

In addition, @iHajinShinobi once said that one doesn't really need to risk blocking Mai's 6PK and getting hit by her 6PP unless there's not much health left. This is correct. 6PK on NH isn't really that threatening.

SilverForte

Well, 6pp into 214p is hitconfirmable, I guess the trick will be to see if they get hit by the 2nd p, and if not, cancel into ryuenbu.

Same thing with her 6pk string, all the followups are delayable so you can go into the P followup into ryuenbu if they block it.

I need to experiment more myself, haven't been playing much recently.

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
@UprisingJC I want to see you using her 8P as a whiff punisher more often. You get a good stun of +17 at fastest stagger and have a mix up between 8PP into 6PKK (if the Ryuenbu follow up only hits once, not twice, you can follow up with a juggle) and launchers.

If you buffer a microdash after Ryuenbu knockdown, 1K will ground hit which will eliminate the WUK (wake up kick) opportunity. 1K followed up by 1P will force them up if they try to laze on the ground.

Last edited:

UprisingJC

Well, 6pp into 214p is hitconfirmable, I guess the trick will be to see if they get hit by the 2nd p, and if not, cancel into ryuenbu.

Same thing with her 6pk string, all the followups are delayable so you can go into the P followup into ryuenbu if they block it.

I need to experiment more myself, haven't been playing much recently.
The window for cancelling from 6pp isn't that large imo. Strings after 6PK are highly delayable.

@UprisingJC I want to see you using her 8P as a whiff punisher more often. You get a good stun of +17 at fastest stagger and have a mix up between 8PP into 6PKK (if the Ryuenbu follow up only hits once, not twice, you can follow up with a juggle) and launchers.

If you buffer a microdash after Ryuenbu knockdown, 1K will ground hit which will eliminate the WUK (wake up kick) opportunity. 1K followed up by 1P will force them up if they try to laze on the ground.

Actually I did use it when I fought my friend's Brad to stop him from lying on the ground lol, but I still didn't get used to using that move. I often used 2p or 2h+k for that purpose for most of the time.

https://www.twitch.tv/uprisingjc/v/94104082
1:39:55 and 1:48:00 v.s Brad Wong.
I abused 8P(P) a lot on him lol.

This move can also be a good one for dealing with Helena after blocking her 33p4p I guess.

-------------

I do want to find her FTs to make her offense more threatening
Some of these are:

6PPc214P -> 8H+K - No delay against heavyweight characters
3K -> 3K(Hard knockdown) -> PP2K

There're still some but I can't recall them right now lol. Have to return home to check them..

SilverForte

Yeah 6pp followups aren't very delayable, but reacting to the first 6p hitting or being blocked and adjusting accordingly shouldnt be too bad, as you'll have a bit of time.

GreatDarkHero

This is frame advantage
Premium Donor
I did not do so well in the first match But, then I took an example from @iHajinShinobi and took a more defensive approach.

A few other matches (watching these matches myself, my flaws are a lot more obvious: For example, I NEVER... EVER... "actually" do anything against opponents on their wake up. I keep suddenly stopping for no particular reason after the opponent is knocked down because I am afraid of wake up kicks on CH. Also, tick throws seem to be the bane of my existence because I am not fuzzy guarding the way I should be. I am sure others can find some major flaws in my game play, besides the ones I highlighted. I notice that I fall apart very easily after getting stunned (or after generally getting hit by anything) as well.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD