DOA5LR Mai Shiranui - Top Ten Moves

GreatDarkHero

This is frame advantage
Premium Donor
Welcome to Mai Shiranui's Top Ten Moves Thread.

Here players can list Mai's best moves, along with the honorable mentions. This information will help some newer players get a grasp on what to go for, as well as learn from other individuals perspective.

To start the thread off, I will like to present my top ten (in no specific order):

10). 1K + Follow Ups
High crushing low that will stun on CH. Has multiple follow ups. Can be very useful in the stun.

9). 6P
i11 frame mid, and the string itself will lead into other moves and is extremely useful in some juggles.

8). 214P+K
The Kagero no Mai. Useful when conducting specific combos, especially at the wall. Can even be utilized as a launcher.

7). 236T
Self-explanatory.

6). 9P + Follow Ups
Mai's jump will help her start an offense, evade a few moves, and start some particularly elaborate combos.

5). 7P
Much like Kasumi, Ayane, and a few others, Mai can utilize this to get the hell of dodge and space herself away from the opponent. Reset the situation so to speak.

4). 6K+H
Causes Mai to leap forward a distance to kick the opponent. This is a mid kick that will cause a sit down stun state.

3). 4K
Counter poking and for messing with opponents in the neutral. Relatively useful while playing the stun game.

2). 1P
A relatively quick low hitting move. High crush.

1). Jab Strings
They are i9 frames and they lead into multiple follow ups. Make sure you are discrete with these and be on the look out for OH's or crushes.

There are definitely a lot of honorable mentions and different top ten lists.

Opinions may change and further updates will be provided for much later.

Onryoki

Standard Donor
It's 6PP, 6P can't cancel into moves, only 6PP can.
8H+K is also a very good move, it's good at crushing low wake up kicks.

Shiranui

I think 66K is a great kick, also. Probably her best tool in mid/long range and it can be followed by K,(cancel)214P+K leading to a combo.

Last edited:

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
Mai's got some nice moves indeed! Very cool chick!

P - i9 jab with mix-up possibility and a safe string ender

6P - Great mid poke with a strong mix-up with 6P2K and special cancels off of 6PP

1K - Awesome low poke with great range and delayable follow-ups

66K - Good mid range get-in move/whiff punisher with an interesting follow-up in 66KK special cancels

66P - Solid get-in poke with good range and has a crazy follow-up if you're feeling frisky

P+K - Good whiff punisher with a solid stun

3K - Great mid-range poke with awesome range

7P/9P - Jumps serve as good space control tools for keeping Mai at a comfortable combat distance

236P - Interesting long range poke for applying pressure on an opponent at a distance and can be used deviously as a special cancel too at range

214P - Useful as a special cancel and as a combo extender, a combo ender or as a relatively safe special cancel

Honourable Mentions: 214P+K, 236T, 8H+K, 6H+K, 2H+K, 1P, 3P, 4P, 4K, 4P+K

Last edited:

UprisingJC

P - i9 jab, self-explanatory enough...

66K - Excellent whiff punisher

4K - i15 high tracking kick that stuns on NH and causes a deep stun on CH/HCH. Semi-safe on block(-7).

6H+K - One of her few moves that cause an unholdable stun and has 3p guaranteed and it can be used in the juggle after some danger zones are triggered. Safe on block(-5)

3P+K - i16 mid punch launcher that crushes high, stuns on NH and launches on CH/HCH

2H+K - Her only precious low that stuns on NH and tracks.

4P - i15 high that causes an unholdable stun.

K(K) - i12 high kick poker

1P - i16 low that covers a decent range and probably has some potential for ground games.

66P - The other tool for whiff punishment and get-in in her arsenal.

Last edited:

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
So I finally got her! Here's her best moves imo:

☆1P- a pretty decent low poke with good range that can be used in combos to mix up during stun, it also crouches allowing you to "slip under the radar" when avoiding highs when trying to move in.

☆1K- A great range low that crouches. has follow ups which the opponent may have to respect.

☆66K- Great range, and causes a crumple stun on counter hit. safe at -5 to -6 on block if done at max distance and semi safe at -7 if done up close. Has a follow up and cancel opportunity if you follow up.

☆2P+K- a crouching mid which can avoid highs when at close range. Lacks range and is unsafe but it's evasion and tracking makes up for it.

☆2H+K- tracks, great range, and stuns on counter hit allowing you to continue a combo or use 6K to throw off opponents.

☆6K- 13i, safe on block and provides +4 advantage. In cases where certain attacks are too short to continue a stun and if you don't want to throw out P+K, this will reset neutral and give you space to reassess the situation.

☆8H+K- GBs, bounces on counter hit allowing follow ups.

☆9P~P- Tracks, safe at -4 and covers a fairly decent distance.

☆4P+K- Can be used to halt aggressive opponents if timed right to knock them back, and it has superb pushback, providing you optimal distance to summarize your approach. It's also a mid kick, which can throw off opponents since most PBs are mid punches.

☆6P-11i, has the excellent 1K as a follow up which packs mean range, and is unsafe but the opponent may have to respect the follow up.

☆3P- 13i with a safe tracking mid punch
follow up, a mid kick follow up with an "auto" 20i high punch, or a tracking low sweep kick.

*The 4P is a noteworthy move since it's her only single strike that can transition immediately into a cancel, excluding BT K. It also has a nice refloat.

Last edited:

Nikotsumi

To me it's :

P - Fast.
6P - Fast mid poke and all the follow ups are pretty good.
3K - It's pretty fast for its reach, it has a good stun and it's semi-safe.
4K - Tracking high kick with a good stun, semi-safe.
1K - Awesome low poke with good follow ups.
2H+K - Good high crush.
66P - It's good for getting in and also for whiff punishing.
66K - Same as 66P
236P - Good for keeping the opponent from immediately rushing down.
9P P+K - Good range, low crush, and it looks really fast despite it being 38i. The cancel version is semi-safe. Edit : this move is weird, it can even avoid (certain) highs and mids lol.

I didn't include these ones since it's only 10 xD
214P, 214P+K, 6H+K, 9P P and 236T.

Last edited:

SilverForte

I would like to include 5T, its the only throw she has that works with stage interactables, it also has quite a good amount of range for that as well.

Shiranui

:8::P: fast, perfect for CS and it can be canceled

:1::K:
same but as a low and it can be followed

:6::6::K:
best tool in far distance

:6::P:
fast, can be followed by strings

:2::2: or :8::8: :P+K:
great for dodge and cause CS

:2::K:
followed by 2P is bitching, followed by 2P+K is dangerous

:7:or:9::P:
Kasumi or Ayane jump higher but she jumps faster

:3::K:
her best standing kick in close range

:6::H+K: Good range, great to start CB combos

:8::H+K:
powerful low crush

Also special mention to 8K and 3P+K, both launcher you have to use if you want to launch instead of CB, and of course, special mention to all her moves. Ryuuenbu, Kachousen, Hissatsu, Musasbi and Kagero. They work lovely by themselves or in strings/combos.

YBNDM

My Top 10 list
10. 6K - Really good keep-out tool and poke imo, can reset the opponents pressure into neutral game and it's +4

9. P strings and PP2K - her jab is 9i making her have one of the fastest jabs in the game. I find PP2K specifically really good for interupting the opponents pressure.

8. 7P - Simple really, allows you to create distance.

7. 9P - allows you to close in. Also has good follow ups (inculding a safe P)

6. 4P - A quick stun move. Also guarentees 214P and 236K.

5. 66P - Really good whiff punisher, with a very risky follow-up.

4. 66K - Also a good whiff punisher (although it covers slightly less distance than 66P) and has a much less risky follow-up than 66P, also has a very deep stun on neutral.

3. 4K - her only tracking high, stuns and is pretty quick and unpredictable.

2. 1K - Dives under lows, stuns on counter hit, and has 2 different good follow-ups.

1. H+K - Entry to her odd but good ground game on neutral, has a good launch on stun and counter hit. Also hits mid and reaches pretty far

Honourable mentions:
236T, 8K, 236K, 214P, 214P+K

(I'll add on and edit this as I learn more about Mai)

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
For some reason, I've never seen this thread.

So it seems mostly everyone in here definitely agrees that 66K is undoubtedly one of Mai's best moves. Which it is.

- 66K: This is honestly a free get in tool, everything about it's mix up outside of approach has already been said.

- 236P: No one in the game has a fast long range projectile to poke, counter poke and control space with.

- 2KP: 15 damage is completely free damage at any time and only leaves Mai at -1 from her 2P low jab. This is a move that should have top priority in abuse.

- 8P: Without a doubt is one of Mai's best moves, great for space control, always stuns on hit and it has a 50/50 mix up with 8P free cancel and 8PP. 8PP will also launch when the follow up hits at a range after 8P was hit confirmed.

- 6P: It's an i11 mid with a legitimate mid/low mix up on both a blocking opponent, counter hit and critical stun. It's also basically a semi-safe move on it's own because of everything it has. The same for 6PP and 6PK. With 6PK, you cannot see Mai delaying or free cancelling into 6PKK and 6PKP at all. And 6PK is free 15 damage as well.

- Jab

- 4P+K: One of the few powerblows in the game that's actually insanely useful in the neutral game. Completely safe midscreen and pushes the opponent out fullscreen on hit. Forcing them to work their way in all over again.

- 9P and follow ups: Because of 9P and 9PK, Mai is actually allowed to travel mid-air longer than any other character safely due to the unseeable P+K follow up. You are also both a travelling hit AND hurtbox when you move forward this way. So at times you can actually just hop forward with 9P once you force your opponent to respect this option actually being real. You can say that Nyo can travel forward with her 9P but that isn't safe at all and it is super easy to react to and punish on reaction. With Mai, that's not going to be the case because of 9P P+K being an unseeable air move.

Also something else no one seems to realize is that all of the follow ups to 9P are safe. 9P K is safe because of P+K being a super fast, unseeable follow up. You will never be thrown for doing 9P K. And 9P P+K is range safe on block.

- 1K: a long range crouching status low with a mid punch and mid kick follow ups. 1K and 6PK actually allow Mai to travel forward into their respect follow ups, and to control space.

- 236T: This throw has a big hitbox on it, allowing Mai to use it in close footsies range for a quick 63 damage+knockdown. You also get free okizeme off of it since it leads into an untechable knockdown.

Last edited:

E-Mann

Well after using her and grinding a bit here are my top 10 for her.

1. 8h+k having a guard break that gives a 9 and 11 jabber even more advantage is always a plus.

2. 66k Can be used to punish whiffs, wake ups, can be thrown out after attacks that have good push back such as pk and safe on block.

3. 2kp very quick and safe low pokes. Can be used to create great ground game oki.

4. 9pp A safe tracking high punch that evades lows and even some mids. Tip: try using after 8h+k ;)

5. 3k Safe long range mid kick. Use it to whiff punish and on fuzzy guarded.

6. 2p+k An evasive and sneaky tracking mid punch that most player’s are rarely going to punish.

7. 4K Tracking high that’s not only safe but also can stop moves such as Helena’s 33p or Gen fu’s 3p.

8. 4p+k Yes her power plow attack. Awesome push back to create space whereas Mai excels in the space game.

9. 4p Guarantees 3 different follow ups except 4p214p+k on stun.

10. 6h+k Sit down that guarantees 3k, 3p, 6k, 6p, and a few others.

One more lol 3p+k nice for quick launching and also crushes highs and some mids. K bye

GreatDarkHero

This is frame advantage
Premium Donor
Opinions may change overtime. Some a little. Some quite a bit.

1). Jab strings:
Has useful mid and low follow-ups to keep opponent's in check. Plenty useful in the stun game and can be suitable for CH fishing.

2). 6K+H:
A far reaching forward jump kick that will cause a sit down in the stun and can be good for starting combos. Very useful for whiff punishing at the very same time and has plenty of usefulness in specific juggle combos.

3). 4K:
A relatively useful tracking mid kick that can also implemented for counter poking and can start a combo. Can be useful for preventing opponent's from getting too close to Mai if she wants to play a little bit of keep away.

4). 8P:
Hits grounded and also can be used as a counter poke to clip opponents or for keep away. Also useful in some stun combos.

5). 6P strings:
Same as the jab strings. The second P follow-up with track while Mai will have other low and mid options.

6). 2K+H:
Tracking low kick that can be done as a combo starter and even for keep away. Also crushes highs and has quite a bit of range.

7). 2K strings:
KP is useful as a NH combo on the ground and can be done multiple times while playing an offensive mind game (you are likely to do this to make the opponent want to crouch or to force an action out from the opponent. Mai is slight minus on hit but she can choose do what she needs even after the fact and if the opponent gets too reckless by using a slower move or by not having a good enough defensive measure, Mai can start partying, with some discretion). KP+K is also useful on CH. 2K strings in of themselves can high crush. 2P+K is also not so bad. It is a faster high crush but it has short range.

8). 236P:
Projectile to catch individuals trying mess around too much at the mid to far ranges. Can also be used for starting an offense or implementing a defensive approach.

9). 236T:
Self-explanatory. If opponent's have a odd obsession with high/mid holds, Mai is free to let them know their place.

10). 7 or 9P
This is extremely important for starting an offense or for getting away from the opponent. She can also disregard most wake-up options this way if she times the jump right. The follow-ups themselves are also useful in combos.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD