Man this game's pretty.

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
Well, considering you think the character models in 2 look better than 3...

;)

@Nightpup, obviously. Damn you Sorwah.

virtuaPAI

I am the reason why you are here!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Doa3 is just sexy. The best movement(animation), to some of the best stages, to having some of the best music in the series. That game was an unexpected gem!

TRI Mike

Ah yeah, the explosive danger zone issue happens to me as well. I never cared to notice Genra though since my little cousin finished story mode with everyone by herself just to unlock Ein for me lol.

grap3fruitman

Standard Donor
I get some slowdown on the original Xbox as well, specifically in the upper part of DOATEC HK stage when both players are far enough away from each other. Then the game starts to take some noticeable dips.

R4712-VR88

I have two original Xbox's and HD component cables for the console. While it looks really jagged on my 42" HDTV I still find the game amazing for its time. Back in 2003 when I played the crap out of DOA3 and DOAX on my 27" Sony CRT tv the games were goregous.

NikkySan

There are framerate issues when it runs on 360 (i.e. when you knock your opponent into an explosive wall, the Snow stage, the water parts of the Cave and Lost World stage, and the falling glass in the DOATEC HK stage) and Genra's armor textures don't load (but it still looks cool). It's such a shame since DOA2U runs perfectly on 360.

DOA3's visuals were years ahead of their time, most early Xbox games still looked like early PS2 games. The game still looks absolutely gorgeous in HD, it's insane how well the graphics hold against games of today. I hate how the DOA3 stages look in DOA5U, everything is just way too bright and colourful. The colour schemes in the original were more subtle and looked way more realistic.

synce

I agree the classics looked better in 3 than 5, but I don't think it's an issue of the game being too colorful. In fact it has a terrible color palette. 4 was very cartoony but it still looked good because the designers understood color theory really well. In 5 there's no saturation and they can't pull off realism either because the lighting sucks. Maybe next time

grap3fruitman

Standard Donor
DOA5 definitely looks off somehow but I can't quite put my finger on it. I think synce is onto something with his thoughts on saturation and lighting. That said, I love the reimagined levels in 5U, especially the colorful forest, I just wish the entire game looked better overall.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
I agree, the DOA3 stages (Lorelei, Forest, Lost World) in DOA5U look actually worse than in the over 10 years old original on inferior hardware. The biggest problems are the low resolution textures and the missing antialiasing. It sometimes really stresses my eyes, most of all the forest stage. x__X

Nightpup

Yeah, they dropped the ball on not including any sort of antialiasing during gameplay. It's visible during cutscenes, though.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD