DOA5LR Mastering Shiranui-Style Ninjutsu - Mai Shiranui Combo Thread

YBNDM

An alternative to the Kachousen unholdable is to just use P, which is also an unholdable (but with much iffier timing) and it's probably better because it has follow-ups.

GreatDarkHero

This is frame advantage
Premium Donor
After getting a stun, I tend to take advantage of Mai's forward crouch walk animation in order to take a glance at what the opponent "might" try (i.e. seeing if they are going to hold so that you can buffer a 236P or 2T for a hi-counter. Otherwise, you can go for a mid punch, mid kick, or a high launch for a juggle if you have no intention on playing the stun game). It might be wise to utilize 1K (or 6PK~into whatever follow up due to 6P being i11) if you know the opponent is going to press buttons. 2K+H is surprisingly useful (mainly against low/mid intermediate players, partially due to it's range and its high crush property. It is slow and somewhat telegraphed however, even used in a string. The issue is that PP also has a mid punch follow up and the player might be forced to guess the follow up from PP). It also combos into P (Mai is free to do a few follow ups but she can also take advantage of opponents who are obsessed with the hold function, especially after using 2H+K). Best not to over rely on it too much and be sure to space it just right to make it difficult to deal with. 2K and the follow ups from it are also very useful because 2KP registers as combo (the opponent can hold low if 2KP is used by itself outside of the stun) and 2KP+K is a mid follow up (this is obvious, but Mai is noted to have quite a few useful high crushes against opponents using too much highs).

@DestructionBomb mentioned that 66K is particularly useful. This is correct for a large number of reasons. Because, if opponents like to whiff (for some reason) a lot at the midrange, Mai can readily stun them (this also counts 6K+H is another useful way of "going in" or "moving forward" on the opponent). I also find this useful in stun (along with side step, when used offensively during the opponents stun state to bait out a hold or to push the critical threshold a bit further). The reason why 66K may be useful in stun is because of its delayed startup animation (which would look weird from the opponent's perspective because she also has 66P which also has a rather suspicious startup animation, forcing the opponent into a rather bad situation).

Plus, there are too many ways that Mai can space and turtle against the opponent, based on how her move pool is set up: She has a lot of annoying lows that can be used from a distance. Plus she has the (albeit, deceivingly useful) Kachousen, 4K, 6K, 3K, and 6P (plus follow ups if the opponent is getting a little "too" obnoxious), along with 7P and 9P to implement additional mobility options (Mai can outright discourage of the use of WU kicks, especially if opponents happen to be stuck towards the wall).

There will be more to come later. Some of guys ought to take a look at Mai in some of the other KOF titles, especially XIV!

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
Was playing around with mai's 66PK a little earlier, and I found you can do a lot more on normal hit than 6PKK/6PKP. If it's a lightweight you can do 6PP214P+K for the most damage and 6PP236K for more environment damage....for midweights I haven't checked yet but you should be able to do at least 6PP214P and 6PP236K on them, but definitely not heavies XD. You can only really get more from them on counter hit, and even then you'll likely only be able to get 6PP214P.

Kirito

Was playing around with mai's 66PK a little earlier, and I found you can do a lot more on normal hit than 6PKK/6PKP. If it's a lightweight you can do 6PP214P+K for the most damage and 6PP236K for more environment damage....for midweights I haven't checked yet but you should be able to do at least 6PP214P and 6PP236K on them, but definitely not heavies XD. You can only really get more from them on counter hit, and even then you'll likely only be able to get 6PP214P.
On mids, 66PP236K is very consistent no matter the launch height unless its CL3. On lights, I find that I have to do 3P > 6PKP for consistent damage.

Otherwise, 3PK works like a charm on all weights.

J.D.E.

Standard Donor
For CB, using 214P+K alone will net her well over 125+ damage guys. I'm getting past 130 instantly every time that I try a combo from it. 136 to 138 to be exact. 4P+K also launches near the wall so you don't have to worry about it splatting. Superheavys you'll have to alternate the juggle into something like 3PKK to get right at 130.

Tried on light/middle: CB > 214P+K > 6PP236K
Superheavys: CB >214P+K > 3PKK

Last edited:

Kirito

For CB, using 4P+K alone will net her well over 125+ damage guys. I'm getting past 130 instantly every time that I try a combo from it. 136 to 138 to be exact. 4P+K also launches near the wall so you don't have to worry about it splatting. Superheavys you'll have to alternate the juggle into something like 3PKK to get right at 130.

Tried on light/middle: CB > 4P+K > 6PP236K
Superheavys: CB > 4P+K > 3PKK
Do you mean 214P+K? 4P+K is her Power Blow.

J.D.E.

Standard Donor
I've been trying to find some tech & unholdables with her. I can't seem to come up with anything just yet.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
I've been trying to find some tech & unholdables with her. I can't seem to come up with anything just yet.
I found some tech having to do with her jump, if she hits an opponent with 4P and jumps during the stun she can get behind them, I have the video. She can also use Kachousen as an unholdable if you cancel it from 4P as a no timer.

J.D.E.

Standard Donor
I found some tech having to do with her jump, if she hits an opponent with 4P and jumps during the stun she can get behind them, I have the video. She can also use Kachousen as an unholdable if you cancel it from 4P as a no timer.
I think I've seen that one, but you can show it in case. I'm not sure how I feel about her Jump P+K that some posted. It's a decent setup if you can get a wall slam out of it, but not sure about using it in general unless you're one of those types who likes to keep people at a distance. Her 8H+K force techs, but I haven't found anything to that would be a safer option. And if that's the case, then IDK if 8H+K is worth forcing people up unless they like to stay grounded. Near the wall, it may be a huge contribution depending on any setup being found there. 8P also smacks a grounded opponent, but it doesn't force them up.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
I think I've seen that one, but you can show it in case. I'm not sure how I feel about her Jump P+K that some posted. It's a decent setup if you can get a wall slam out of it, but not sure about using it in general unless you're one of those types who likes to keep people at a distance. Her 8H+K force techs, but I haven't found anything to that would be a safer option. And if that's the case, then IDK if 8H+K is worth forcing people up unless they like to stay grounded. Near the wall, it may be a huge contribution depending on any setup being found there. 8P also smacks a grounded opponent, but it doesn't force them up.
Here it is, additional details are in the description:
http://www.freestepdodge.com/media/dead-or-alive-5-last-round-mai-jump-tech.12035/media

And as a more defensive/zoner oriented player myself, I don't really try to force opponents up with her since she does have her jump which virtually eliminates any need to guess a WU kick since she can just jump behind them for a throw

J.D.E.

Standard Donor
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD