Maximillian's Hands-On video.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
We might be going slightly off topic, we can't make this a DOA vs Youtuber x Aris topic.

Eh, I wouldn't say it's "vs". I mean all the parties that are mentioned, me included, haven't said or done anything since they happened. I didn't have any malice meant in my tweet to Aris. If he wants to learn how to actually play the game, then there are people out there who would be willing to teach him. If he wants to scrub it up against scrubs and base his opinion on the game off that and hearsay then he can continue the way he's trolling.

As for Max, while there was the "Mai release" stream he did where he had no desire outside of that stream to learn the game, there was also at least one time at an Evo where he was approached by a "top" DOA player introducing him to a Team NINJA rep congratulating him on his streaming success, and he more or less blew them off. Yeah, moments like that sting. I wasn't present at such a thing though, as I heard it second hand from the player and rep themselves though.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
I didn't have any malice meant in my tweet to Aris. If he wants to learn how to actually play the game, then there are people out there who would be willing to teach him. If he wants to scrub it up against scrubs and base his opinion on the game off that and hearsay then he can continue the way he's trolling.

As for Max, while there was the "Mai release" stream he did where he had no desire outside of that stream to learn the game, there was also at least one time at an Evo where he was approached by a "top" DOA player introducing him to a Team NINJA rep congratulating him on his streaming success, and he more or less blew them off. Yeah, moments like that sting. I wasn't present at such a thing though, as I heard it second hand from the player and rep themselves though.

Ah well, was hoping it would be more positive notes due to the game becoming a meme as of late on competitive portions (outside mostly). I see what you mean though. Alas, maybe I'm too hopeful on the series getting more exposure from FGC in many other games and it's players in more competition.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
Tbh I think people are taking what Aris said too seriously xD I understand some people are mad over it but if you're confident in the game itself it shouldn't matter or bother you, especially since his video was only like almost two minutes XD Its not necessary to insult his appearance, insult him and make rant videos in response to him because all you're doing is giving him what he wants, which is attention and showing us in a less than elegant light which is shameful

If anything I found his video funny, I died when he said ass and teets xD I hope we'll see more videos from Max regarding DOA6 if he sticks with but if he doesn't what does it matter? Do you really want a game to get exposure from people who didn't want to even play seriously in the first place? I know I wouldn't

DedUp

I like both Max and Aris but I doubt that either will make DOA 6 one of their mainstay titles when it comes out. They both have their preferences when it comes to fighting games that they'll always go back to and that's fine. I think Max will at least give it a fair shake if it has good net code, but even if he ends up enjoying the game, I still don't think he'll stick with it for any length of time. At least it should be good exposure as I think Max will stay mostly positive with his comments. Aris will probably just shit talk the game even if he does end up playing it, though I would like to be proven wrong.

I think if there going to be someone repping DOA on Twitch and / or Youtube, it's going to have to be someone else who already enjoys the series and takes it somewhat seriously. The main issue then will be if that person can become popular by producing good DOA content that doesn't reduce the game to a bunch waifu / titty jokes and get viewers genuinely interested in it.

Personally I feel that we're better off not worrying too much what Max or Aris think of DOA but instead should focus on finding someone who will produce good DOA content and try to give them a following of some sort that can expand outside of the DOA base.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
Do you really want a game to get exposure from people who didn't want to even play seriously in the first place? I know I wouldn't

That vastly depends, but for the most part no. However players like that had zero information (literal here) about the game and could be following a trend that's been a trend for years for reasons on not trying the game. People can bandwagon the hate because it's the newest thing.

Which is why I mentioned that people (actual competitive players) sat down with him to learn the game. If he "still" doesn't like it, then it's now logical to say that he might as well be on his way then. But let's be real here, I have never seen Aris opened up the game in any sorts of way let alone register for the game at any event.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
That vastly depends, but for the most part no. However players like that had zero information (literal here) about the game and could be following a trend that's been a trend for years for reasons on not trying the game. People can bandwagon the hate because it's the newest thing.

Which is why I mentioned that people (actual competitive players) sat down with him to learn the game. If he "still" doesn't like it, then it's now logical to say that he might as well be on his way then. But let's be real here, I have never seen Aris opened up the game in any sorts of way let alone register for the game at any event.
I don't think anyone should bother xD Trying to get Aris to take and play the game seriously seems pointless imo
I like both Max and Aris but I doubt that either will make DOA 6 one of their mainstay titles when it comes out. They both have their preferences when it comes to fighting games that they'll always go back to and that's fine. I think Max will at least give it a fair shake if it has good net code, but even if he ends up enjoying the game, I still don't think he'll stick with it for any length of time. At least it should be good exposure as I think Max will stay mostly positive with his comments. Aris will probably just shit talk the game even if he does end up playing it, though I would like to be proven wrong.

I think if there going to be someone repping DOA on Twitch and / or Youtube, it's going to have to be someone else who already enjoys the series and takes it somewhat seriously. The main issue then will be if that person can become popular by producing good DOA content that doesn't reduce the game to a bunch waifu / titty jokes and get viewers genuinely interested in it.

Personally I feel that we're better off not worrying too much what Max or Aris think of DOA but instead should focus on finding someone who will produce good DOA content and try to give them a following of some sort that can expand outside of the DOA base.
I didn't like Max before but he grew on me, Aris I'm ngl cuz y'all no I don't lie.... I find him cute in a way which is why I tend to excuse the negative foul things he's said about DOA6 although like I said it's not that serious, people have been saying foul things about DOA for years. If you're confident in the game and don't care about what he says, I feel you should be able to laugh it off xD Two minutes of shit talking imo just isn't worth the energy imo

Macca Beam

Like everybody else says, the game IS NOT FINISHED. Maybe because of your reading problems it was hard for you to read that part.
I trust this forum to have more class than silencing people who dare to voice a criticism.
Which part of "looks like a pre-alpha indie game" makes you think I didn't already know it's not a finished game? Maybe you should've learned to read.

Have you ever made anything?
Ah, the infamous "you need to be a chef to critique food" fallacy. But yes, I have made video games before, both personal and collaborative projects. One of the first rules is to never parade shoddy, unfinished work around, and I fully believe early access anything is a blight to the industry.

your entire list of complaints can be summed up as "the game isn't more done."
Wrong. "This aspect exists when it shouldn't" problems are basically "done". Why else would they be there? Do I trust TN to gut them out of the final build?
Regarding the UI, I've been burned by SFV before. It's another alpha-looking joke of an interface that somehow stuck around to this day. I don't know how modern UI designers manage to get paid to put gradient on white text and slap a few rectangles on the screen.

Last edited:

ryu_highabusa

Ah, the infamous "you need to be a chef to critique food" fallacy.
That's not what I said and that's not where I was going with that, asshole; don't put words in my mouth.

But yes, I have made video games before, both personal and collaborative projects. One of the first rules is to never parade shoddy, unfinished work around, and I fully believe early access anything is a blight to the industry.
I wasn't even talking about video games, I meant ANYTHING.

Let's use your chef analogy: imagine making an omelette and someone being critical of the taste when all you've done so far is cracked the egg. Hasn't hit the plate, hasn't had a second to cook, but already people are complaining about how it tastes. That's you right now.

I'm not against criticizing the game - if it launches as-is balance-wise, I'll have no interest in it myself - but I understand they just barely started development and am keeping expectations and criticisms realistic. I'm not treating this like a launched product, like you are.

Like...

It's another alpha-looking joke of an interface that somehow stuck around to this day.

Are you kidding me? IT'S LITERALLY AN ALPHA BUILD. ONLY EIGHT PERCENT DONE.

I'm surprised there was a UI at all and that it wasn't like other game betas where it's just warez-style ascii art:

Crackers_title.png

Brute

Standard Donor
Let's use your chef analogy: imagine making an omelette and someone being critical of the taste when all you've done so far is cracked the egg. Hasn't hit the plate, hasn't had a second to cook, but already people are complaining about how it tastes. That's you right now.
A chef doesn't show customers a cracked egg. A chef waits until the dish is presentable before displaying it.

"But the omelette isn't done!"
-So keep it in the kitchen until it looks appetizing. Putting a picture of a cracked egg on the menu next to the omlette isn't going to make anyone excited to order the omelette.

I'm surprised there was a UI at all and that it wasn't like other game betas where it's just warez-style ascii art:

Crackers_title.png
LOL

Fantailler

It was me and Mr. Wah. I mean, Max acted like he never seen titties before when he started playing with that motion control with his buds. It may be different now but it would be easier to teach people in person.

We might be going slightly off topic, we can't make this a DOA vs Youtuber x Aris topic.

Ok so it pretty much confirms what i think...

just_me

Standard Donor

I think it's a fairly poor analogy in this context due to… well scope. It's more like an architect builds a first model of a building and someone complains that there is no glass in the windows, the trees in front are made of plastic and everything is far too small to actually live in…

Given that the purpose of the build was to give the media (and we'll lump people like Max in there for simplicities sake) an impression of the general look & feel of the game and the new S-button stuff, I find the selected feature set fairly appropriate and the issues present tolerable E.g the framerate: If it was wildly inconsistent and stutters permanently during “normal” gameplay… well, that's not good enough, but some dips when hitting a Danger Zone are fine at this stage of development… (maybe we get a Digital Foundry video telling us how good/bad it exactly is)
Placeholder assets are fine as well and I don't see any major issues with the UI's usability and design. So what's the problem here exactly?

Brute

Standard Donor
Given that the purpose of the build was to give the media [...] an impression of the general look & feel of the game and the new S-button stuff,
what's the problem here exactly?
That the general look & feel of the game is basically just DOA5 but worse and the new S-button stuff is terrible.

There's nothing new here that would convince Max (or anyone like him) to give the game a shot that wasn't present in DOA5. If Max tried to give DOA6 more exposure than DOA5, it would be due to a circumstantial change on his end, not the game's. The showcase thus far can be summarized as "DOA5 but with meters and less movement," and I have yet to hear anyone say that the introduction of a meter system is going to change their opinion of the franchise for the better.

The whole point was to generate interest, but quite frankly, it's just not interesting.

just_me

Standard Donor
That the general look & feel of the game is basically just DOA5 but worse and the new S-button stuff is terrible.

Was only referring to the UI with the question at the end… should have been more clear.
“So what's the problem with the UI exactly?”

There's nothing new here that would convince him to give the game a shot that wasn't present in DOA5.

How would you know? Maybe he really, really likes the face punch animations, or he likes the fact that some meter stuff is in the game, or he thinks the main menu theme is great. He could decide to give the game more exposure for any reason…

I still think the build itself was in a presentable state.
It was a behind closed doors demo for an audience that primarily just presses buttons. So mainly showing off the shiny new graphics, the fancy new meter moves and a bunch of characters with old and new designs still seems entirely appropriate.

Raansu

I mean, the same could be said about DoA5 when we first saw the alpha build. Underneath the visual presentation the game basically felt like DoA4 as the game was only like 5% done when it got shown off. 6 months later we had multiple cast members added in, the VF characters shown off and it was a wildly different game.

Brute

Standard Donor
I mean, the same could be said about DoA5 when we first saw the alpha build. Underneath the visual presentation the game basically felt like DoA4 as the game was only like 5% done when it got shown off. 6 months later we had multiple cast members added in, the VF characters shown off and it was a wildly different game.
Well yes, but [a multiple of new moves, system mechanics, dynamic stage features, etc.] were available at the time TN considered the build at a point where people could actually play it. They let people play DOA6 at its current state and collect gameplay footage of it. Likely part of the reason they didn't release the playable DOA5 demo immediately when the trailer dropped was because they knew that the gameplay didn't yet have enough work put in to properly reflect the focus of the new game (that and to boost NG3 sales), so they held off and continued to improve things in order to deliver a proper reflection of their focus. Obviously, they did not feel that approach pertinent with respect to DOA6's current state at E3.

Raansu

A playable version was at TGS before E3. And the playable demo the public got was basically that early build....again, before E3. The game under the new presentation stuff was still very much DoA4. No one has had hands on of DoA6 yet, but people are reacting the same as when DoA5 got first shown off. Take the rose colored glasses off and chill out.

x Sypher x

A playable version was at TGS before E3. And the playable demo the public got was basically that early build....again, before E3. The game under the new presentation stuff was still very much DoA4. No one has had hands on of DoA6 yet, but people are reacting the same as when DoA5 got first shown off. Take the rose colored glasses off and chill out.

What's up Raansu! I can't remember the last time I spoke to you. Are you in any of the FB DOA groups? How are you?

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD