Meter: Yay or nay?

Do you like how it has been implemented in DOA6 so far?

• Total voters

NightAntilli

I don't have an issue with the meter. In reality, they could've added a meter for power blows also. Wouldn't have really changed DOA5 significantly. So it can work.

I have more issue with the sidesteps including a forced strike, because it seems to reduce your options. But we'll see how it goes in practice.

Shirataki Tsume

Thats strange, cause half the strings and combos I used in DOA4 for keeping the opponent guessing by utilizing delay would suddenly completely drop in DOA5 if I tried the same thing.
I thought you meant about the leniency when it comes to input errors. In DOA I can perform a qcf move by inputting qcb,f. Tested it in DOAO, DOA4, and DOA5.

NewWestFan

Premium Donor
I seem to recall the VF characters in 5 having JF inputs and the grapplers weren't hurting for throw damage and advanced holds were still lethal. Name one 3D Fighter that doesn't allow you to dial in because even Tekken 7 (Unless you're going for JF heavy characters like the Mishimas and Hwo) let you be a little dumb with your inputs when you're juggling.

I seem to recall the VF characters in 5 having JF inputs and the grapplers weren't hurting for throw damage and advanced holds were still lethal. Name one 3D Fighter that doesn't allow you to dial in because even Tekken 7 (Unless you're going for JF heavy characters like the Mishimas and Hwo) let you be a little dumb with your inputs when you're juggling.
Technically DOA4 discouraged dialing in combos because of holding out of stun. I was all for it, i think it added an extra layer of constant attention that you'd encounter in a real life fight. There ain't no guaranteed combos in real life.

NewWestFan

Premium Donor
Technically DOA4 discouraged dialing in combos because of holding out of stun. I was all for it, i think it added an extra layer of constant attention that you'd encounter in a real life fight. There ain't no guaranteed combos in real life.
That's literally the same way it is in 5. I dare you to flow chart against a good LeiLei.

NightAntilli

I agree. But the fighting community hated it because they said it was too random. And that's the good thing about VF5. It requires you to have constant attention while still not feeling random.

That's literally the same way it is in 5. I dare you to flow chart against a good LeiLei.
It isn't though. There are plenty of deep stun situations in 5 that weren't in 4 even before mentioning CB's, and reducing delay time from 4's leniency is a little telling to the idea that some hits were just intended to be guaranteed.
Rather, the deep stuns that were in 4 weren't guaranteed followups like they are in 5. Tripping someone over a puddle in 4 and things of that nature honestly felt more rewarding as the attacker when the opponent had the opportunity to hold out of it, cause it was those lengthy stuns they wanted to get out of ASAP which sometimes meant you could bait for a great hi-counter throw situation against hold. If you were playing as a grappler, all the better to capitalize. Since you hadn't been able to actually throw someone from a stun like that though, when the stuns of that nature occur in 5 and the opponent can't hold right away, you get a net loss of hi-counter throw opportunities to reduce a grappler to simply launching and trying for an airthrow which seem cheapened by the idea that even hayabusa can do airthrows now too, even after getting some hits in before it.

Last edited:

J.D.E.

Standard Donor
Personally, I don't mind the meter. A lot of fighting games that I play has meter in them. People who keeps complaining about the bursts, power blows, & power launchers being gone. That's exclusive to DOA5. They're going away from it & at this point, they're sticking to it. Games usually change out older mechanics that are exclusive to that game & implement a new one while keep the core mechanics.

The problem that I have with the current system mechanics are how break blows & how fatal rush are. The mechanics are too abusable. Break blow alone does a lot of damage granted that it's unsafe. I think the system will force a lot of bad habits & make players who are trying to either break past beginner-intermediate or newcomer status lazy. It also takes away from the core fundamentals of DOA.

I'm all for making games easy to understand, but DOA was already easy to understand. The biggest issue is that developers now (& this is not just DOA, it's in general) feel the need to dumb down the execution in fighting games & close the skill gap between players somehow. Learning & grinding is a lot more satisfying when you know for a fact that you can execute after the hard work you put into fighting games. It's getting kind of annoying how they're literally making games only 1 or 2 buttons now just to execute in fighting games. There still will be a skill gap, but it's just now people will start abusing stuff without going in depth like people who's been playing has to.

I'm hoping that they look into doing something about the new system mechanics to not make people feel like they got robbed.

Last edited:

XxNoriakixX

Nay and a bit more of nay. All of this gimmicky 2D trash has to go. I thought Tekken was bad for implementing armor moves, but TN went all out to use everything that could make this game even less reliable on fundamentals and more flashy for the brain dead masses.

Auto combo, meter, armor attacks, removal of sidesteps, auto-hold everything out of jail button, basically x-rays from MK...

I don't know what to think of it so far, good thing is that it is still in development

DedUp

I'm a no vote for meter, but I'll keep an open mind and hope that once I get to actually play the game that I'll change my mind. I'm not that optimistic though since I found that meter in SC5 and T7 failed to improve their gameplay.

NewWestFan

Premium Donor
I'm a no vote for meter, but I'll keep an open mind and hope that once I get to actually play the game that I'll change my mind. I'm not that optimistic though since I found that meter in SC5 and T7 failed to improve their gameplay.
I'm optimistic solely because it doesn't look like it has to interfere with the core gameplay of DOA. I fully intend at this point to just hold onto my meter and use it as a means to immediately snuff other people from using theirs and maybe once in a while to close out a combo/round with a break blow. That's it.

Lulu

The thing about "doa gameplay" is that in literally every iteration, somebody has sworn "This isn't DOA", like, they are the authority on what DOA is.

LoL... I think every Fighting Game or every game in General goes through something like this... but it does seem to be more prevalent in DoA...

When DOA 5 launched, people started saying it wasn't DOA because they could get caught up in those guaranteed situations again, and the darker palette wasn't friendly to their tastes. That wasn't DOA either, right?

That Was Me !!! I did that !!! And I never even played the previous games... :)

PhoenixVFIRE

It'll be weird and annoying to get use to especially if you're on a roll and suddenly they Break Hold an disrupt your flow, but it does make things interesting I suppose. I think so far my biggest concern is seeing that one button combo 100000000 billion times. Like, after watching some videos I'm already bored of looking at Jann Lee's, and soon to be the others... Add More Variation to the combo. Also slightly getting more and more annoyed at the constant slow mo... . This is getting off topic but the way the camera and transition happens when you're thrown into the crowd of ppl on the edge of the stage needs to be fixed. It's SO jarring when it plays out.

Leifang12

I am not impressed at all by the meter or the S command. It seems they took out PB og CB and just turned them into a button and made it easier to land for people who suck at the game. I can live with the S command and the fact that the button exist, but it needs to be way harder to pull off. It should be a one time per. match type thing and then you decide if you wanna use the meter on a free pass Hold or a Strong Attack. But it needs to be activated when you have 30% health left or something like that, like in DOA5!

Also I would like them to make the game not as stun heavy and more like DOA2.

Last edited:

Lulu

It seems they took out PB og CB and just turned them into a button and made it easier to land for people who suck at the game.

Actually because of its Armored Properties its actually easier for everybody to land... Casuals and Pro's alike.

I can live with the S command and the fact that the button exist, but it needs to be way harder to pull off.

The purpose of that button is specifically to help new players get started. If it was harder to pull off then it literally would have no reason to be there in the first place... and thats kinda problem the game is having right now...

Leifang12

Actually because of its Armored Properties its actually easier for everybody to land... Casuals and Pro's alike.

The purpose of that button is specifically to help new players get started. If it was harder to pull off then it literally would have no reason to be there in the first place... and thats kinda problem the game is having right now...

I believe having an "easy" button is not gonna help people get into the game, it's gonna hinder it. Why would they wanna learn the rest of the games mechanics, if you can pull off amazing, over the top animated attacks, that deal lots of damage? Why would you bother learning the stun system, the launch game, throw setups and counter system that DOA has to offer?

Young people and people in general these days, have a very short / "low effort" learning curve. They want to be good immediately and don't want to commit to a game that takes to long to learn. If they go online thinking they are amazing at the game and then get beaten, because all of us who bothers to learn the game, just counter their S command combo, will get mad/upset and think their opponent are using cheap mechanics to play the game. Just look at how the hate speech in social media and playing online in general.

DOA5 started out the same way with spamming PB in early DOA5 builds, but PB's was nerfed before DOA5 Vanilla was released and that turned out fairly decent in my opinion. I would rather play DOA2 and DOA3 over 5, but it's still fun to play DOA5.

Fighting games has a loooong learning curve and are hard to get into and DOA is already a good game button mashing wise. People get into the game because of the great training system, command training and also people online and offline teaching them the ropes and the way the game is played. People get into fighting games because they want to learn the games mechanics and that is not because of the EASY command they will become fans of the game. Either you like the game or you don't!

Last edited:
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD